[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
Forum moderator: Aristotle, s0dr2, ThaScience  
Forum » Real HIP HOP Forever » Rate & Review Music » Illmatic Vs. Liquid Swordz (THE OFFICIAL DEBATE!!!!)
Illmatic Vs. Liquid Swordz
Which Hip Hop Classic is TRUELY the classic?
1.Illmatic - Nas[ 26 ][59.09%]
2.Liquid Swordz - GZA th Genius[ 18 ][40.91%]
Answers total: 44
NtG Date: Sunday, 25/Jan/09, 3:08 PM | Message # 16

Heads
Quote (EYAR15)
sarcasm is NTG's post?????

mmmm i a little bit, i respect wu, but i dont like their music.

Quote (Lord_Meth)
did it with nobody but....fuckin AZ...whos he again?!

A HELLA UNDERRATED ARTIST!!!!! The Format is a fucking classic!!!!!

[deleted]
Lord_Meth Date: Sunday, 25/Jan/09, 3:10 PM | Message # 17

Heads
Quote (NtG)
A HELLA UNDERRATED ARTIST!!!!! The Format is a fucking classic!!!!!

I kno but put AZ's fame against the whole Wu

its not even comparable

Sick With It
NtG Date: Sunday, 25/Jan/09, 3:11 PM | Message # 18

Heads
Quote (Lord_Meth)
I kno but put AZ's fame against the whole Wu

I take AZ in a rap battle Vs. Wu

[deleted]
Lord_Meth Date: Sunday, 25/Jan/09, 3:12 PM | Message # 19

Heads
Quote (NtG)
I take AZ in a rap battle Vs. Wu

Im not alkin about a rap battle

I mean guest apperance wise on the 2 albums
AZ couldve blew up but idk it just never happened

Sick With It
NtG Date: Sunday, 25/Jan/09, 3:16 PM | Message # 20

Heads
Quote (Lord_Meth)
Im not alkin about a rap battle

I mean guest apperance wise on the 2 albums

yeah i know, i was just sayin...

[deleted]
eboyd Date: Sunday, 25/Jan/09, 3:31 PM | Message # 21

Heads
OK, here goes for this long rant of mine. You guys know I'mma have a say. In fact this topic was probably started because of me. Anyways, I'll start by saying LS > all hip hop albums ever to me so this, to me, is a dead debate. I will also say that Illmatic, even though you guys probably think I hate it, was a dope album and I recognize that Nas is unanimously the greatest MC of all time and Illmatic is the greatest album. However, Illmatic, to me, seems so stuck in the past that it doesn't even make my top 15. I have a bunch of underground albums that dropped in 2007 over Illmatic. Oh, and I was laughing my ass off at this:

Quote (Gaylord_Meth)
Liquid swordz - A great conposition of lyricism and storytelling but the beats are bland except Labels, and B.I.B.L.E.

Illmatic - All around great album. Perfect debut, great production cast, raw lyricism from a new jack, INFLUENTIAL

lol dude, "Liquid Swords" (the song), "4th Chamber," "Cold World," etc., etc., etc., all had undeniably gorgeous beats. I can't even pick a favorite track from this album. As for "Illmatic," wtf's a "Life's a Bitch"? biggrin that beat fucking sucks. "NY State Of Mind" and "Half Time" are the only beats that came close to making that album potentially the GOAT and Nas ruins the latter with his stupic line "my style switches like a faggot." Everyone with ears knows Nas' beat selection sucks. It's been that way for his whole career. To me this album is no exception. The rest of the beats on the album were mediocre but don't stand the test of time well. Now for lyrics. GZA's lyrical performance here was also better all around. Lines like "unnecessary beef is just more cows to breed" prove the lyrical Genius is also the master of punchlines. Also, subject matter variety on LS was far superior. While both albums speak on life in the NY slums, Nas' subject matter never deviates further than strict lyricism, how bad life sucks, and a shout out to his homies in prison. GZA's album contains lyricism, a true to life depiction of the slums, a day in the life of a drug dealer, spiritual ascension, world history, etc.

LS, to me >>>>>>>>>> Illmatic

And for that matter...

GZA >>>>>>>>> lyrically than Nas

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Acekat00o Date: Sunday, 25/Jan/09, 3:33 PM | Message # 22

Heads
I vote GZA ,i love the album songs ,especialy 4 chamber,it amkes me wanna draw graffiti and iradiates a feeling of raw,urban hip-hop

Graffiti
Lord_Meth Date: Sunday, 25/Jan/09, 3:38 PM | Message # 23

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
Cold World

THAT WAS THE WORST BEAT AND HOOK EVER!!!!!!!!
Oh man that song was so atrocious it made my ears bleed just listening to it. Thank God GZA made up for it in lyrics cuz that track was dead

All the beats on Liquid Swordz were bleand and sounded like rejected beats from 36 chambers, they honestly sucked

illmatic had everything, sure Nas isnt known for his beat selection but the beats were still 100 times better than the ones on Liquid Swordz

Sick With It
Menace Date: Sunday, 25/Jan/09, 3:42 PM | Message # 24

Heads
Quote (Lord_Meth)
All the beats on Liquid Swordz were bleand and sounded like rejected beats from 36 chambers, they honestly sucked

the beats were RAW thats called unclean beats just like Mobb deep had on their first album just like 36 chambers and just like this album maybe u dont feel raw unclean beats

NtG Date: Sunday, 25/Jan/09, 3:44 PM | Message # 25

Heads
Quote (Menace)
the beats were RAW thats called unclean beats just like Mobb deep had on their first album just like 36 chambers and just like this album maybe u dont feel raw unclean beats

i hate all of the wu beats, and majority of Mobb deep beats (exceptions are Shook Ones 2 and Survival of the Fittest)

[deleted]
eboyd Date: Sunday, 25/Jan/09, 3:46 PM | Message # 26

Heads
Meth, you like a lot of mainstream hip hop. That's why you don't like the beats on LS. "Cold World" is one of the greatest beats in hip hop history.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Menace Date: Sunday, 25/Jan/09, 3:48 PM | Message # 27

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
Meth, you like a lot of mainstream hip hop. That's why you don't like the beats on LS. "Cold World" is one of the greatest beats in hip hop history

yes i noticed that myself on many people

Lord_Meth Date: Sunday, 25/Jan/09, 4:03 PM | Message # 28

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
Meth, you like a lot of mainstream hip hop. That's why you don't like the beats on LS. "Cold World" is one of the greatest beats in hip hop history.

it has nothing to do with that
Liquid Swordz is one of my favorite albums but the beats werent better than Illmatics beats
Quote (Menace)

The Infamous beats were better than Liquid Swordz beats and Illmatics

so it has nothing to do with them being raw

Sick With It
emseed Date: Sunday, 25/Jan/09, 4:12 PM | Message # 29

Watchers
wtf both albums are true classics so i vote both, but if the question was which album was better than id vote liquid swords.
EmSeeD Date: Sunday, 25/Jan/09, 4:18 PM | Message # 30

Heads
Quote (NtG)
yeah cuz NaS is sooooooo much better than anyone in the wu its ridiculous.
Wu sucks

I can understand if you don't like ghostface etc coz sometimes they say some pointless things but i don't see how you can't like GZA.

Quote (Lord_Meth)
Ok so u basically proved my point
because alot of people likes an artist and someone sees otherwise so he says that artist is overrated LMAO!!!
If more than one person says Nas is the best MC alive..guess wat its true!!!
If someone been callin u a crackhead for 25 years ur a fucking crackhead!!!!

a lot of people say Lil Wayne is the best rapper does that make that true? no.

Quote (Lord_Meth)

U know Nas is better than GZA on all levels so u give me a half assed comment telling why LMAO
Everything GZA has Nas has 10 fold but this isnt about the artist its about their albums

Liquid swordz - A great conposition of lyricism and storytelling but the beats are bland except Labels, and B.I.B.L.E.

i have to disagree with that, come on man listen to the beats for Liquid Swords (the song), 4th Chamber, I Gotcha Back, Cold World those are 4 of my all time fave beats they're awesome. GZA is more original than nas and unlike nas his lyrics always make sense. GZA is also a far better story teller than Nas, when GZA tells a story he really sets the mood and you get the story properly.

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
Forum » Real HIP HOP Forever » Rate & Review Music » Illmatic Vs. Liquid Swordz (THE OFFICIAL DEBATE!!!!)
Search: