[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
  • Page 2 of 2
  • «
Forum moderator: s0dr2, Aristotle, ThaScience  
Forum » Real HIP HOP Forever » Artists Introduction » Who da F*#@k Is Jon Connor??? (An MC from Flint, Michigan)
Who da F*#@k Is Jon Connor???
Adam Date: Tuesday, 05/Jun/12, 5:25 PM | Message # 16

B-Girls
Quote (Lord_Meth)
It's all about connecting to the people and developing and maintaining a fanbase, in whatever way possible.

maintaining? so you're advocating 1 dimensional emcees!!! YOU'RE AGAINST ARTISTIC GROWTH.
Why would you wanna connect to the people? I would rather connect with myself...

I mean what good is ribcage removal if not to do just that.

Quote (Lord_Meth)
Some people can be as abstract and different as they want, but if they're not good at it, nobody is going to care.

you trying to indirectly diss me bruh? you chicken bandit, come at me.

Real talk, dis shit bump in my whip, but I ain't going to say dis brutha setting new trends or anything. He is like a brutha that can make a very very good glass of cherry kool-aid. He ain't inventing a new flavor, or worse yet, ain't even trying to invent a new FLAVA.

I JUST EXPLODED INTO RAINBOWS AND LOLLIPOPS!
Lord_Meth Date: Tuesday, 05/Jun/12, 8:31 PM | Message # 17

Heads
Quote (Adam)
maintaining? so you're advocating 1 dimensional emcees!!! YOU'RE AGAINST ARTISTIC GROWTH.
Why would you wanna connect to the people? I would rather connect with myself...

That type of mindset is shared amongst Underground rappers/producers. They create music for themselves and only themselves, but if anyobody else like it, that's fine. But they make music SPECIFICALLY to please themselves and people like them. This isn't a diss to them, but that's also why they tend to be more pretentious and critical.
I never said anything about being against Artistic Growth. Dont even begin trolling, putting words in my mouth.
Some people make music for others, while some people make music for themselves. both of which is in the artists hands on how to EXECUTE IT. It's not one dimensionally to do that. It's one dimensionally if you highlight one specific aspect of your artistry like rapping about money, cars, lyrical boasting, etc.
But that's just how it is. I know you have your own musical philosophy, but guess what? So does the 400 million other people living in the US. You can't really be upset if you're just trying to connect with yourself, and you definately can't be upset if you feel unappreciated by the masses. Making music goes BEYOND the music. And everybody who's established understand this and they put it into their work.
Quote (Adam)
you trying to indirectly diss me bruh? you chicken bandit, come at me.

No I'm not dissing you lol get out of here. Be serious, man.
Quote (Adam)
Real talk, dis shit bump in my whip, but I ain't going to say dis brutha setting new trends or anything. He is like a brutha that can make a very very good glass of cherry kool-aid. He ain't inventing a new flavor, or worse yet, ain't even trying to invent a new FLAVA.

That's a hella lame anology, but I'ma let it slide. Okay, let me say it like this....there's millions of aspiring rappers, producers, authors, dancers, athletes, etc., etc. With every profession thinkable, there's more than one person doing it lol. So after understanding that, you have to ask yourself, WITHOUT BIAS, what is it about them makes them shine and more distingushed than the others? Let's put this type of thinking into the Hip Hop world. What is it about Jon Connor that appeals to the people? It's not that he has a classical B-boy flow. Realistically, there's thousand of other MCs who's flows can be compared to his. So what else is it?
The execution. Everything he does, he's doing in a way that appeals to the people.
Say if we were both rappers with the same flow, beat choice, and lyrical content and we had to make a song to win a competition. One of us might make our song a lyrical exercise in metaphors, similies, riddled with punchlines and all of the complex writing extras, but the song isn't really special; it doesn't have that X-FACTOR in it. Ralistically, he's just not memorable. But the other might make something with a groovier beat, a melodic hook, and lyrics that aren't too complicated but they aren't dumbed down either. They're good enough to say it's hot, but he's definately not fucking with the first guy lyrically. But his song is more memorable and the overall quality of it is actually well enough so that other people will WANT TO PURCHASE IT. He has that special trait that separates his craft from the slew of other music coming out. The second guy wins the competition and becomes....say.....Eminem.
There's just so much more to music, man. And it all depends on how you think because the RIGHT thinking can distinguish a star from just a guy making music.

Sick With It
Adam Date: Tuesday, 05/Jun/12, 9:53 PM | Message # 18

B-Girls
A super lyrical rapper can have a nice beat and a good hook.

Fine he can be the next eminem, but that just makes him more easier to listen to, not more artistically superior.

Lord_Meth Date: Tuesday, 05/Jun/12, 10:09 PM | Message # 19

Heads
Quote (Adam)
Fine he can be the next eminem, but that just makes him more easier to listen to, not more artistically superior.

But who's gonna care more about being "Artistically Surperior?" The artist themselves or the person listening to them in their iPod? You have to understand not everybody cares about that. Only your core fanbase will actually digest everything that you're presenting to the table, and even then it also depends on how good it is, how memorable it is, and if they can feel the star quality in your work. The outer edges of your circle will only receive the superficial qualities of it. The more relatable you make your message (and that goes for your core fanbase, casual listeners, and first-time listeners), the more fans you'll have, and that goes for the Underground, Mainstream, and International levels. Let's not pretend if another MC tried to immitate Nas he would sound just like Nas. No. He won't.
Quote (Adam)
A super lyrical rapper can have a nice beat and a good hook.

I'm not saying he can't. I was just making a clear example. Reks is a phenomenal MC and he has superb beat choice.

Sick With It
Adam Date: Tuesday, 05/Jun/12, 10:30 PM | Message # 20

B-Girls
Quote (Lord_Meth)
But who's gonna care more about being "Artistically Surperior?" The artist themselves or the person listening to them in their iPod?

You just dug your own grave. If you look at past artists, they were not appreciated till much later, as late as after their death. This is even more noticeable in literature, where authors weren't even heard of until their work was discovered much after their death. The main point is, that greatness sometimes is not even respected nor recognized for much of its time. So just because someone is getting attention now does not put them above someone who is not.

Quote (Lord_Meth)
You have to understand not everybody cares about that.

you have to understand that not everybody is even exposed to that, and the lack of their care hardly means anything.

Lord_Meth Date: Tuesday, 05/Jun/12, 10:51 PM | Message # 21

Heads
Quote (Adam)
You just dug your own grave. If you look at past artists, they were not appreciated till much later, as late as after their death. This is even more noticeable in literature, where authors weren't even heard of until their work was discovered much after their death. The main point is, that greatness sometimes is not even respected nor recognized for much of its time. So just because someone is getting attention now does not put them above someone who is not.

I didn't dig my own grave. I never said anything about that. But let's be realistic tho, who wants to be discovered...when their dead? Who wants to experience their fame when they're no longer around? Don't even pretend that you do lol if you so, you're a damn lie lol. Big L, for example, was a renown lyricist when he was alive, but when he died that's when his legacy in Hip Hop became more prominent. It's the same with 2Pac, Biggie, Big Pun, etc.
But the real main point of what we're talking about is what distinguishes an artist from each other, hence Jon Connor. Let's not stray from that.
Quote (Adam)
you have to understand that not everybody is even exposed to that, and the lack of their care hardly means anything.

Their lack of care may mean nothing to the one who does care, but the fact that they care too much means nothing to them, for they come off as snobby (and nobody cares about a douchebag's opinion lol). On a serious note, it's a catch 22, which explains the rift between underground music and mainstream music. You pick your poison with either one. I'm not picking sides by saying which one is better, because they each have their own pros and cons. I'm just merely saying how it is, and the artist makes the choice of which side they want to appeal to when they begin their career.

Sick With It
Adam Date: Tuesday, 05/Jun/12, 11:17 PM | Message # 22

B-Girls
Quote (Lord_Meth)
But let's be realistic tho, who wants to be discovered...when their dead? Who wants to experience their fame when they're no longer around?

I didn't even say that, I was just saying that that is what happens most of the time to greatness.

Quote (Lord_Meth)
But the real main point of what we're talking about is what distinguishes an artist from each other, hence Jon Connor.

Jon Connor is distinguishable... because he has a certain complexity in his lyrics and a specific content in his lyrics that is relative to most people. That doesn't make more superior as an artist. So that is my point.

TheWatcher Date: Friday, 08/Jun/12, 6:05 PM | Message # 23

Heads
Quote (Adam)
What makes him stand out though? I mean it isn't his voice, since it is a pretty typical rap voice/flow. His subject matter is not very fresh... so what is it that makes him special?

I'll be honest, if he'd come out somewhere in the mid-90s he would barely even have peaked my radar. Partially because I was ~3 years old then but even if I hadn't been, there were a lot more/better artists out there to pay attention to. The main reason for why I'm this interested in him is, because, when you look at his competition, he does really stand out. I mean, what else do we have?

-Kid Cudi
-Lil Wayne (not much lately though? Idk, maybe they sent his ass back to jail).
-Nicki Minaj
-Kanye
-Someone who sounds like Kanye
-Another guy who sounds like Kanye
-Someone who sounds the same as everybody

Every person in Hip Hop right now, sounds pretty much exactly the same to me. What stands out about this guy is that he can actually write worth a damn, and his delivery is more rapid and/or more, erm, how do I put this, he says what he intends to say. If he has a message, he'll get it across and he'll get it across well. While Lil Wayne and whatever whatever just raps about waffles & kool aid for all I know. Point being, compare him to any modern rapper and he pretty much shits all over them. However he does still need to select the right beats.

But even though he shits all over most of the popular rappers today, I still think there are other artists that could do a lot better. Like Talib Kweli and Mos Def, neither has fallen off, I just think, and this is just my opinion, that, a lot of the time they're not selecting the right beat to rap over. But their lyrics & delivery is pretty much always on point. Another rapper that I think hasn't fallen off (and even gotten better over time) is Method Man, but I don't think he's planning to release an album, and even if he was, I wouldn't exactly be dying for him to drop it because the beats would probably suck. So yeah, there's a lot of better, more "distinguishable" rappers out there, but most of them are dead or have fallen off over time, and when they haven't, it's probably their shitty-as-fuck beat selection. A solid example of that would be Nas. Who's by the way coming out with another album, I've only heard Daughters and one other track from it thus far, Daughters was alright, I believe the other one sucked, but I don't even remember to be honest.
Adam Date: Friday, 08/Jun/12, 6:41 PM | Message # 24

B-Girls
Big Krit is better.

Lord_Meth Date: Saturday, 09/Jun/12, 1:29 AM | Message # 25

Heads
My boy Kendrick is probably my favorite all-around artist. He has everything right now. He's fresh, lyrical, insightful, good ear for beats, etc. All of the intangibles.

Sick With It
Forum » Real HIP HOP Forever » Artists Introduction » Who da F*#@k Is Jon Connor??? (An MC from Flint, Michigan)
  • Page 2 of 2
  • «
Search: