[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
  • Page 2 of 2
  • «
Forum moderator: ThaScience, Aristotle, El_Matador  
Forum » Real HIP HOP Forever » Hip Hop History/Knowledge » Argument About The Difference Between Hip Hop And Rap ((Can Someone Say.... OWNED!!!!!!))
Argument About The Difference Between Hip Hop And Rap
eboyd Date: Sunday, 22/Feb/09, 11:22 PM | Message # 1

Heads
here's a convo i had with this guy poz1 on YouTube on my Hip Hop vs. Rap: The Difference video (Hip Hop vs. Rap: The Difference):

poz1's comment

poz1 (1 hour ago) Show Hide
Marked as spam
Reply | Spam
| Remove | Block User
HIP HOP = RAP.
Its the same thing.

everything else is sub genres from it
Soulja boy= snap music
50cent = Gangsta rap

my PWNING response biggrin

eboyd32 (16 minutes ago) Show Hide
Marked as spam
Reply | Remove
"an MC is a representative of hip hop culture. a rapper is a representative of corporate interests. an MC can be a rapper, but a rapper can never be an MC."

-KRS-One

"This is the difference between MC'ing and rap
Rappers spit rhymes that are mostly illegal, MC's spit rhymes to uplift they people"

-KRS-One

you have to understand where this comes from and do knowledge. "hip hop" as a term was coined by Cowboy from GMF & The Furious 5 when he was making fun of a friend in the military...
eboyd32 (9 minutes ago) Show Hide
Marked as spam
Reply | Remove
...it became a term when he started using it on stage to hype up the crowd and was used to define the culture that surrounded the movement that was arising. this was around 1976 or so. around that time the term MC was used to refer to vocalists in hip hop music. Grandmaster Caz was a well-known MC at that time (and still is). in 1978 or 79 Caz met up with Big Bank Hank and gave Hank his rhyme book. Hank, using Caz's lyrics, was rhyming at the pizza parlor he worked at and Sylvia Robinson, the...
eboyd32 (3 minutes ago) Show Hide
Marked as spam
Reply | Remove
...co-founder of Sugarhill Records, heard Hank rhyming. around this time, as hip hop was gaining popularity, people who didn't know a thing about the culture or care about it began taking an interest in it's marketability. the term rap was coined after the street slang term for talking. Hank, unlike Caz and others, was money hungry. he used Caz's rhymes to make a number one hit that neglected hip hop music's main element, DJing, and he even bit lines where Caz had spelled his name and said...
eboyd32 (19 seconds ago) Show Hide
Marked as spam
Reply | Remove
...that he "didn't even bite not a god damn word."

this moment distinguished the difference between the two. while it is true that rap is something you do and hip hop is something you live, and rap is commonly used as a verb that is used to define the act of MCing, there are distinct differences that make hip hop and rap different, just as there are distinct differences that make Catholicism and Protestantism different. they fall under the same family, but they are different entities entirely.

EDIT (he commented back since):

poz1 (12 minutes ago) Show Hide
Marked as spam
Reply | Spam
| Remove | Block User
I understand what your doing with this video. I usually refer to modern rap as media rap.(Theirs still some good people like kanye, nas is still going, and I hope eminem brings back his sick lyrics)
poz1 (15 minutes ago) Show Hide
Marked as spam
Reply | Spam
| Remove | Block User
", MC's spit rhymes to uplift they people"

I thing Mcing and rapping are the same thing. (Your spitting flow) When I asked this d.j at a underground concert he told me. Mc has changed over the years and now its a fancy word for saying "Intellegent" Lyracist/rapper.
But can we really consider Mc Hammer to be uplifting?

Krs-one. I dislike him because of his ego.Everytime something happens in rap. He possitions his opinion as the gospel. He even contradicts himself in some cases.
eboyd32 (7 minutes ago) Show Hide
Marked as spam
Reply | Remove
if you are going to call it anything of the like it is corporate rap. the media isn't dictating what happens in the musical genre, the labels are. you see, you have to understand the dynamics of corporations to understand the crooked tactics that have lead to this separation and the bastardization of society in general that is reflected in popular artistic cultures. it all goes back to this and what i stated above. that is why we have a difference...
eboyd32 (2 minutes ago) Show Hide
Marked as spam
Reply | Remove
...what is the point of having two different terms to define the same thing (hip hop/rap, MC/rapper) otherwise?

and on another note, rappers are in more of a box. being an MC requires you to rhyme, because that is what the corporations dictate. you have to fit a specific mold. a cat who is being creative, making poetry (as i do) or some other form of MCing without rhyming, as Jeru did on You Can't Stop The Prophet, Madlib/Quas did on one of the tracks on Madvillainy, etc., that's still MCing...
eboyd32 (2 seconds ago) Show Hide
Marked as spam
Reply | Remove
...to put it more simply, rappers are trapped inside a box of rhyming about the same things or rhyming in the same fashion, all of which revolve around currency. an MC can make his/her music however they want, just as a DJ, producer, beatboxer, etc., in hip hop can do whatever they want with their music. that is the true essence of what i am speaking of.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

ill Date: Monday, 23/Feb/09, 11:33 AM | Message # 16

Emcees
whats your beef?

do you understand the point im making..

The World Is Yours
Bape Date: Monday, 22/Aug/11, 10:22 PM | Message # 17

Emcees
"There are only two types of Hip Hop out there. There is swag hip hop and there is non swag hip hop" - Anthony Fantano, 2011

Message edited by Bape - Tuesday, 23/Aug/11, 5:34 PM
Adam Date: Tuesday, 23/Aug/11, 5:02 AM | Message # 18

B-Girls
Bape nailed it. Discussion closed.

I JUST EXPLODED INTO RAINBOWS AND LOLLIPOPS!
ilikebacon3000 Date: Tuesday, 23/Aug/11, 3:12 PM | Message # 19

Emcees
/thread

Life's a bitch and I'm just along for the ride.
Adam Date: Tuesday, 23/Aug/11, 5:36 PM | Message # 20

B-Girls
/forum

ilikebacon3000 Date: Tuesday, 23/Aug/11, 11:12 PM | Message # 21

Emcees
/life

Life's a bitch and I'm just along for the ride.
Adam Date: Wednesday, 24/Aug/11, 3:56 AM | Message # 22

B-Girls
/earth

Forum » Real HIP HOP Forever » Hip Hop History/Knowledge » Argument About The Difference Between Hip Hop And Rap ((Can Someone Say.... OWNED!!!!!!))
  • Page 2 of 2
  • «
Search: