[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
Forum moderator: ThaScience, Aristotle, El_Matador  
Forum » Real HIP HOP Forever » Hip Hop History/Knowledge » Was There A West vs East Coast Beef?
Was There A West vs East Coast Beef?
eboyd Date: Saturday, 09/Jan/10, 0:28 AM | Message # 16

Heads

:D

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

eboyd Date: Saturday, 09/Jan/10, 2:19 AM | Message # 17

Heads
Quote (EmSeeD)
that's exactly why Common said "on the dick of the east for your first release"

because Ice Cube was being a hypocrite.

some people thought of the west coast the same way a lot of us think about the mainstream music in the south right now.

i'm well aware of that. that's why i say that the east-west beef was all just a publicity stunt that was more about record execs finding a gimmick to make money off of than it was an actual beef. so many west coast artists were giving love to east coast artists behind the curtain that the idea of an east-west beef was all just BS.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

abanks47 Date: Saturday, 09/Jan/10, 2:50 AM | Message # 18

Emcees

yo snoop, i damn near hate the brother now a days but i will forever love and respect the dude for what he did here. if that shit aint in relation to beef than i dont what the fuck is. shit was real, some wasn't but snoop was ready for shit to pop off all for claiming the side he was from. also tell that to DPG and Nate when they trailer got shot up on the set of New York, New York; granted they were knockin down new york buildings but that doesn't warrant a gun battle. it was all becasue they were westcoast.

PEACE IM OUT OF HERE

A WELL DRESSED SKELETON SLOWLY CUTS YOUR THROAT.

"I Have No Fear Whatsoever of Anybody or Anything" -Malcolm X

“those who consider themselves the most adamant adherents of “real” hip-hop can also be the least knowledgeable.” –Adilifu Nama; an excert from his perception of Nas’s “Genesis”

ALCATRAZ Date: Saturday, 09/Jan/10, 5:02 AM | Message # 19

Writers
Quote (eboyd)
that's why i say that the east-west beef was all just a publicity stunt that was more about record execs finding a gimmick to make money off of than it was an actual beef.

Well, you are correct in a sense, but I believe you are missing the point.

It is true that the media had their way with the beef and polarized the controversy behind it, but they were only covering the facts. Rappers from both sides have recorded disses and it truly isn't limited to Bad Boy and Death Row. It just so happened that those two were the top dogs at the time, and represented the majority.

It's also true that there were still rappers working with one another from either coast, but that doesn't take away from the fact that there was a rivalry taking place. It has been well documented that New York radio stations deliberately removed West Coast rap songs from the air, even though some of these West Coast artists were simultaneously going Platinum and being highly noted as the premier artists of the decade.

New York has always had it's dick in it's own ass, for better or worse. But can you blame them? I don't, because they started this shit. But the fact remains that there are other people who have just as good talent. The problem with New Yorkers is that they don't understand most of these West Coast artists truly live the life they rap about, unlike many East Coast rappers. Reminds me of the quote...

"There's too many rappers in the East tryna be gangsta, too many gangsta's in the West tryna be rappers"

I feel as though the East got butt hurt when they realized the public likes music other than theirs. And to top it off the lyrics were offensive and shrewd, reflective of the lifestyle they lead. The only difference between the West and anywhere else was that West Coast rappers didn't take any shit. If there was a problem it would be addressed. It was mostly about rap until the media stepped in but that's just part of the game. Like I said before East / West rivalry was real. Anybody can see that.

"I personally think OBCL2 is better than the original" - Lord Meth

eboyd Date: Saturday, 09/Jan/10, 5:38 AM | Message # 20

Heads
The point though that I'm trying to make is that the beef was centralized to a select group of artists. Calling it an "east-west beef" is insulting to artists/groups like Ras Kass, Gang Starr, Kool G Rap, Ahmad, Rakim, Wu Tang, Jeru, etc., who all were either closely affiliated with or collabed with artists from the opposite coast AND never participated in the rivalry/beef. There were a select few artists involved in the beef and the majority of artists, though most were less well known than the ones involved, either stayed silent or actually spoke out against it. Let me ask you. If I had a gang and there was a gang in Canada that was my gang's rival and we fought a vicious gang fight against each other, would you call that a war between the United States and Canada or would you call that a gang fight between two groups of thugs?

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

ALCATRAZ Date: Saturday, 09/Jan/10, 2:03 PM | Message # 21

Writers
Quote (eboyd)
If I had a gang and there was a gang in Canada that was my gang's rival and we fought a vicious gang fight against each other, would you call that a war between the United States and Canada or would you call that a gang fight between two groups of thugs?

That's not a great comparison because like I said before, radio stations in New York refused to play West Coast artists, so it was deeper than beef that was simply "centralized to a select few artist" ... It ran deeper than that, and there was a lot of resentment. I'm not doubting that East and West worked together, but it still doesn't take away from the fact that diss tracks were made in the name of East / West beef, lives were lost in the name of East / West beef, and relationships ended in the name of East / West beef. This stuff isn't made up, you are just focusing on the media aspect of it. Forget about them. Think about the artists and the climate during that time. Some artists refused to even travel to other coasts out of fear for their lives. That's as real as it gets.

The media blew it up but at the end of the day it was just a polarization of what was going on at the time. New York was hating on the West because the West wasn't New York. If you can recall, even Outkast got booed at the 94-95 Source Awards because they won something like "Best New Artist" and they weren't from New York. So they automatically got booed. Difference between the South and the West was that West Coast rappers didn't mind taking shots back. That's one of the comprising elements to the beef. It was real. The beef was real. I'm not saying every single human on the West had beef with every single human on the East, but there was some animosity there.

Added (09/Jan/10, 2:03 Pm)
---------------------------------------------

eboyd Date: Saturday, 09/Jan/10, 2:44 PM | Message # 22

Heads
First of all, radio stations are THE MEDIA. The main people blowing it up were radio DJs. Secondly, there's still a bit of animosity when an LA artist goes to NY to rock a show. If you're not known and you're from LA and you try to rock a NY show, you're wack until proven otherwise lol. That's inside info. I'd hardly call it beef today though. I'd call it pride for where they're from.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

EmSeeD Date: Saturday, 09/Jan/10, 4:45 PM | Message # 23

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
Calling it an "east-west beef" is insulting to artists/groups like Ras Kass, Gang Starr, Kool G Rap, Ahmad, Rakim, Wu Tang, Jeru, etc.,

they were some of the artists trying to stop the east coast/west coast hate.

Dr. Dre, Sam Sneed were also trying to make a bi-coastal sound, if there was no east coast west coast beef dr. dre wouldn't have put this song together

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
ALCATRAZ Date: Saturday, 09/Jan/10, 6:05 PM | Message # 24

Writers
eboyd thinks record company executives drew the East Coast West Coast beef up out of thin air LOL, even though the evidence is right there in bold.

eboyd Date: Saturday, 09/Jan/10, 6:57 PM | Message # 25

Heads
I never said they drew it out of thin air. What happened was Bad Boy and Death Row artists, as well as a few others such as CNN, started beefing with artists from the opposite coast. It was centralized to these select few artists. Record execs, radio DJs and people like Suge Knight recognized that they could cash in on the beef, so they began blowing it way the fuck out of proportion and made it seem WAAAY worse than it was, like it was actually a full on beef between east and west when in reality it was just a group of then newcomers in the game, mixed with a few artists who had been in the game for a while (but for the most part they were trying to squash the shit), talking shit to each other. The east coast cats were pissed that the LA cats were making more money off of the game than NY ever had and the LA cats were mad because the NY cats were saying they weren't real because they weren't making their style of hip hop and they were saying that it wasn't sticking to the essence. This still wasn't a majority of the artists in the game and half of these dudes that were talking shit were fake as hell about it anyways, behind the scenes chilling with NY artists. In order for it to have been an inter-coastal beef the majority of artists on each coast would have to be beefing. That wasn't the case. It was a decentralized small group of artists, some of which were doing business with artists from the opposite coast, while the media was making it sound like it was the entire game and radio DJs and other media figures were blowing it out of proportion, antagonising, and making it seem like it was more than just the small group that it was. I bet you that we could go to that picture that XL (?) Magazine took of all those artists and I guarantee less than half were involved in the east-west beef.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

eboyd Date: Saturday, 09/Jan/10, 7:13 PM | Message # 26

Heads
Calling it an "east-west beef" would be like calling a beef between Ludacris, TI, Lil Wayne, Soulja Boy (lol), etc., and Snoop Dogg, Ice T, Game, Nipsey Hussle, etc. a "west-south beef", neglecting the fact that Outkast, Bun B, Scarface, Cunninlynguists, Jay Electronica, Tonedeff, Dr. Dre, Ice Cube, etc. never got involved and actually continued collaborating with each other and that people like Game and Lil Wayne were coming together behind the scenes to do business, even if, say, Felle Fel (radio DJ from Power 106, the biggest hip hop station in LA) started refusing to play south artists. That wouldn't be a west-south beef, that would be a decentralized group of artists from the south beefing with a decentralized group of artists from the west that didn't even come close to making up the majority of artists in both areas.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Uncharted Date: Saturday, 09/Jan/10, 8:45 PM | Message # 27

Emcees
Quote (eboyd)
Nipsey Hussle

damn that guy sucks

EmSeeD Date: Saturday, 09/Jan/10, 9:35 PM | Message # 28

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
Calling it an "east-west beef" would be like calling a beef between Ludacris, TI, Lil Wayne, Soulja Boy (lol), etc., and Snoop Dogg, Ice T, Game, Nipsey Hussle, etc

as far as i know the only artists who had beef out of that list was Ice T and Soulja Boy, Snoop said years ago soulja boys crank dat song was bullshit, but now he's recently released a music video with Soulja Boy from his album, he was even doing the soulja boy dance himself.

Quote (Adam)
Which artist bought a million dollar beat from scott storch (or sumthin like that) and showed wat to do wit it?

dr. dre?

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
eboyd Date: Saturday, 09/Jan/10, 9:52 PM | Message # 29

Heads
Quote (EmSeeD)
as far as i know the only artists who had beef out of that list was Ice T and Soulja Boy, Snoop said years ago soulja boys crank dat song was bullshit, but now he's recently released a music video with Soulja Boy from his album, he was even doing the soulja boy dance himself.

this is irrelevant. i was talking hypothetically lol

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

eboyd Date: Saturday, 09/Jan/10, 11:12 PM | Message # 30

Heads
Quote (ALCATRAZ)
"There's too many rappers in the East tryna be gangsta, too many gangsta's in the West tryna be rappers"

lol i'm listening to this track right now :D i dl'ed the album yesterday.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Forum » Real HIP HOP Forever » Hip Hop History/Knowledge » Was There A West vs East Coast Beef?
Search: