[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
Forum moderator: ThaScience, Aristotle, El_Matador  
Forum » Real HIP HOP Forever » Hip Hop History/Knowledge » Expiration Date In Hip Hop
Expiration Date In Hip Hop
Pensmoke Date: Sunday, 31/Jan/10, 9:05 AM | Message # 1

Removed
B) My vid is featured at the bottom of the article:

Hip Hop's expiration date................

eboyd Date: Sunday, 31/Jan/10, 9:56 AM | Message # 2

Heads
you start off with a point i have wanted to make for a while. Louis Armstrong had a #1 hit that beat out The Beatles on the billboard charts a few years before he passed away when he was in his 80's i believe. some of Miles Davis' best records came out when he was in his later year. The pinnacle of John Coltrane's career was his record "A Love Supreme" which he released when he was in his 40's. Ornette Coleman and Chick Corea, both in their 70's/80's, are still currently revered in jazz circles and their followings are as strong as ever. Carlos Santana's popularity is currently about as strong as it ever was. etc. hip hop is the exception to this rule. sure, some artists outside of hip hop had music they would drop in their later years that was shitty and they got called on it, but that's not the same as an artist being inherently wack because he/she is old. great video and yay for you getting it on that website! :D

btw, idk if you looked in the Knowledge section at all, but i know you read A Peoples' History and idk if you heard the bad news. Howard Zinn passed away a couple of days ago :(

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

ALCATRAZ Date: Sunday, 31/Jan/10, 10:15 PM | Message # 3

Writers
Hip hop is all about relevance so I'm not surprised old rappers don't get respect. In Rock and Country the legends could play music with instruments and you can replay those songs over and over, the fans will respect it. In rap you are expected to always come with the new, innovative hot shit. If you don't got it, move to the side. Rakim is still rapping currently, but he's not even relevant. That's why he sold like 13 copies on his latest release LOL.

"I personally think OBCL2 is better than the original" - Lord Meth

EmSeeD Date: Sunday, 31/Jan/10, 10:28 PM | Message # 4

Heads
in the 90's people like Ozzy Osbourne were seen as washed up and irrelevant, but it changed and now he's seen as a god, maybe the same will happen with hip hop too as younger people find out about emcee's like Rakim.

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
eboyd Date: Monday, 01/Feb/10, 1:27 AM | Message # 5

Heads
Quote (ALCATRAZ)
Hip hop is all about relevance so I'm not surprised old rappers don't get respect. In Rock and Country the legends could play music with instruments and you can replay those songs over and over, the fans will respect it. In rap you are expected to always come with the new, innovative hot shit. If you don't got it, move to the side. Rakim is still rapping currently, but he's not even relevant. That's why he sold like 13 copies on his latest release LOL.

That's exactly the problem. You see, relevance in hip hop is not determined by how good the album/song they dropped was as it should be. It's determined by one of two factors: age or conformity; if an emcee is older, he has to conform his style to fit the new shit or get dissed. He can't continue with his style from the past. If he does he is going to get disrespected by the younger generation. That has never happened before in music. In fact it is usually, as, for example, in the case of Ozzy, that people diss a legend for conforming their style to newer standards, unless of course the artist can actually pull it off, and that's how it should be.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

SoulRas Date: Monday, 01/Feb/10, 2:10 AM | Message # 6

Emcees
"How can hiphop be dead when Wu-Tang is 4eva!"

haha, nah, but look. genre's like Dubstep, Glitch-Hop, Trip-hop, Experimental, shit like that will keep it goin.
hip hop will always have roots in the future generation of music tho, no doubt.

“Music is the harmonious voice of creation; an echo of the invisible world.”
-Giuseppe Mazzini
eboyd Date: Monday, 01/Feb/10, 2:27 AM | Message # 7

Heads
Quote (La_)
"How can hiphop be dead when Wu-Tang is 4eva!"

haha, nah, but look. genre's like Dubstep, Glitch-Hop, Trip-hop, Experimental, shit like that will keep it goin.
hip hop will always have roots in the future generation of music tho, no doubt.

haha word to that. nice to see you back (even if it's just a one time thing) La_ :)

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

SoulRas Date: Monday, 01/Feb/10, 2:32 AM | Message # 8

Emcees
yea man, whats been good? I;ma try to get on here more often again, promote music and shit

I'll hit y'all with maaaddd downloads on some exclusive shit.

but it's bedtime tonite man, holla.

-Giuseppe Mazzini
eboyd Date: Monday, 01/Feb/10, 2:38 AM | Message # 9

Heads
Quote (La_)
yea man, whats been good? I;ma try to get on here more often again, promote music and shit

I'll hit y'all with maaaddd downloads on some exclusive shit.

but it's bedtime tonite man, holla.

haha nice man. a lot's been going on and yeah, that would be nice. if you do that be sure to post here:

http://realhiphopforever.blogspot.com

i'll give you the email and password for log in when you decide to put some up.

but anyways, i actually have an EP coming out in the next few months! you can check the progress on the album in the thread i posted entitled "Progress Report For My Upcoming Album" (or something like that). i'll keep you posted, maybe send some hard copies your way and ask you to sell them and i'll give you a free copy if you sell enough, plus a cut of the money for how many you sell.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

SoulRas Date: Monday, 01/Feb/10, 2:41 AM | Message # 10

Emcees
oh shit, and if any1 has got that new madlib medicine show pt 1 mixtape, I NEED THAT!! haha

-Giuseppe Mazzini
eboyd Date: Monday, 01/Feb/10, 2:42 AM | Message # 11

Heads
Quote (La_)
oh shit, and if any1 has got that new madlib medicine show pt 1 mixtape, I NEED THAT!! haha

man, i have been sleeping i vaguely heard about that shit lol! i need to see what's up too.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

ALCATRAZ Date: Monday, 01/Feb/10, 3:20 AM | Message # 12

Writers
Quote (Pensmoke)
According to who?

No disrespect to you, but according to the general consensus of hip hop fans. How many of Rakim's fans bought his last record?

eboyd Date: Monday, 01/Feb/10, 3:24 AM | Message # 13

Heads
Quote (ALCATRAZ)
No disrespect to you, but according to the general consensus of hip hop fans. How many of Rakim's fans bought his last record?

the record was not all that great so that's understandable, but i guarantee it wouldn't have made much of a difference had it been dope. i must say though, this last year showed that a change is among us. Raekwon outsold Jay-Z and didn't have to compromise his style like jay-Z did. dudes are starting to see that age doesn't mean shit. it's just coming slowly.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Adam Date: Monday, 01/Feb/10, 7:30 AM | Message # 14

B-Girls
I didn't buy rakims last album... im such a bad person

I JUST EXPLODED INTO RAINBOWS AND LOLLIPOPS!
ALCATRAZ Date: Monday, 01/Feb/10, 1:23 PM | Message # 15

Writers
Quote (Adam)
I didn't buy rakims last album... im such a bad person

No, you're just a hip hop fan who likes relevant music, and unfortunately Rakim is not relevant anymore. I'm sure he is in the minds of like 42 people, but other than that no one cares to hear Rakim anymore.

Forum » Real HIP HOP Forever » Hip Hop History/Knowledge » Expiration Date In Hip Hop
Search: