[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
Forum moderator: ThaScience, Aristotle, El_Matador  
Forum » Real HIP HOP Forever » Hip Hop History/Knowledge » Expiration Date In Hip Hop
Expiration Date In Hip Hop
Menace Date: Monday, 01/Feb/10, 4:05 PM | Message # 16

Heads
Quote (ALCATRAZ)

No, you're just a hip hop fan who likes relevant music, and unfortunately Rakim is not relevant anymore. I'm sure he is in the minds of like 42 people, but other than that no one cares to hear Rakim anymore.

Your fav rappers .

eboyd Date: Monday, 01/Feb/10, 4:09 PM | Message # 17

Heads
Quote (ALCATRAZ)
No, you're just a hip hop fan who likes relevant music, and unfortunately Rakim is not relevant anymore. I'm sure he is in the minds of like 42 people, but other than that no one cares to hear Rakim anymore.

i have a problem with this line of thinking. before i go on with this, tell me, is Rakim "not relevant" because he's old and hasn't done anything in years, or because the album just wasn't very good? if the latter, then i agree, but wouldn't say this shows he's "not relevant", it just shows that the album he made was sub par and we should expect more out of him being the VERY RELEVANT legend that he is, and when i say relevant i mean that people who want to consider themselves "hip hop heads", "officionados", etc. need to, as they say, "do the knowledge" and learn about Rakim and respect him as the legend that he is and what he was to artists like 2pac, Nas, Biggie, Jay-Z, the Wu, etc. and how what he did for hip hop still affects the game today, or they will rightly be considered merely fans of rap. you can be completely apathetic to the man's music, but a degree of reverence needs to be taken for Ra by any person who wants to be taken seriously as a hip hop head or student/member/whatever of the hip hop culture. if anyone chooses to call Rakim "not relevant" for the first reason i posed, that person doesn't deserve respect from the hip hop community, plain and simple.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

ALCATRAZ Date: Wednesday, 03/Feb/10, 3:17 PM | Message # 18

Writers
Quote (Pensmoke)
in your opinion, who is 'relevant'?

In the rap game today? Mainstream wise I'd say the obvious answers: Lil Wayne, Drake, GUCCEH, Eminem, and so forth. On the underground tip MF Doom, Atmosphere, Jedi Mind Tricks, basically the rappers who are slightly above underground yet still retain their notoriety. No one talks about Rakim. At least no one I know lol.

To Pensmoke and eboyd, can you post a flick of your copy of Rakim's latest joint? When you do, scribble your name on a piece of paper so I know it's truly your copy.

"I personally think OBCL2 is better than the original" - Lord Meth

TheWatcher Date: Wednesday, 03/Feb/10, 3:52 PM | Message # 19

Heads
Quote (ALCATRAZ)
To Pensmoke and eboyd, can you post a flick of your copy of Rakim's latest joint? When you do, scribble your name on a piece of paper so I know it's truly your copy.

As soon as you take a picture of a Carter III copy with your name on it, or better yet.. Lil Wayne's new rock album seeing as you consider him relevant. I don't agree with someone being irrelevant because he's old or because he's had one bad album recently.

abanks47 Date: Wednesday, 03/Feb/10, 10:52 PM | Message # 20

Emcees
Rakim is relevant in hip hop as a whole, you cant talk about it's history without him but today he has not done anything to keep people going. he and eric b made mad classics way back but how long do we need to stay on the knees and bow to dude. i feel its pretty similar in all music genres, if you dont make an album for a decade people will lose interest in you and you will fade into an obscure state where a few die hard fans will stay loyal but the public just wont care anymore. i think it has absolutely nothing to do with him being old, its the fact that he didnt give the fans what they wanted and when he did it was some over hyped garbage. please believe it would have made a huge difference if it was a hot album.

A WELL DRESSED SKELETON SLOWLY CUTS YOUR THROAT.

"I Have No Fear Whatsoever of Anybody or Anything" -Malcolm X

“those who consider themselves the most adamant adherents of “real” hip-hop can also be the least knowledgeable.” –Adilifu Nama; an excert from his perception of Nas’s “Genesis”

ALCATRAZ Date: Thursday, 04/Feb/10, 3:27 AM | Message # 21

Writers
Quote (TheWatcher)
As soon as you take a picture of a Carter III copy with your name on it, or better yet.. Lil Wayne's new rock album seeing as you consider him relevant.

I don't pay much attention to mainstream rap, so I didn't buy Lil Wayne's last album. Since this is realhiphop4ever, shouldn't the threadstarter and eboyd and yourself be able to post a flick of Rakim's latest joint? I mean, he is relevant, right? And he is making moves on the underground, correct?

TheWatcher Date: Thursday, 04/Feb/10, 4:26 AM | Message # 22

Heads
Quote (ALCATRAZ)
I don't pay much attention to mainstream rap, so I didn't buy Lil Wayne's last album. Since this is realhiphop4ever, shouldn't the threadstarter and eboyd and yourself be able to post a flick of Rakim's latest joint? I mean, he is relevant, right? And he is making moves on the underground, correct?

It's been almost 14 years since Tupac died, do you not still listen to Tupac joints? I know I do and if so, does that still make him irrelevant?

Adam Date: Thursday, 04/Feb/10, 8:12 AM | Message # 23

B-Girls
Oh dang, the watcher just stepped up. I second what he said.

I JUST EXPLODED INTO RAINBOWS AND LOLLIPOPS!
eboyd Date: Thursday, 04/Feb/10, 9:11 AM | Message # 24

Heads
Quote (ALCATRAZ)

Quote (eboyd)
i have a problem with this line of thinking. before i go on with this, tell me, is Rakim "not relevant" because he's old and hasn't done anything in years, or because the album just wasn't very good? if the latter, then i agree, but wouldn't say this shows he's "not relevant", it just shows that the album he made was sub par and we should expect more out of him being the VERY RELEVANT legend that he is, and when i say relevant i mean that people who want to consider themselves "hip hop heads", "officionados", etc. need to, as they say, "do the knowledge" and learn about Rakim and respect him as the legend that he is and what he was to artists like 2pac, Nas, Biggie, Jay-Z, the Wu, etc. and how what he did for hip hop still affects the game today, or they will rightly be considered merely fans of rap. you can be completely apathetic to the man's music, but a degree of reverence needs to be taken for Ra by any person who wants to be taken seriously as a hip hop head or student/member/whatever of the hip hop culture. if anyone chooses to call Rakim "not relevant" for the first reason i posed, that person doesn't deserve respect from the hip hop community, plain and simple.

I don't have a copy of the album. Why? I thought the tracks I heard weren't very good. I figured you would understand this from the comment I quoted from myself above.

Quote (abanks47)
Rakim is relevant in hip hop as a whole, you cant talk about it's history without him but today he has not done anything to keep people going. he and eric b made mad classics way back but how long do we need to stay on the knees and bow to dude. i feel its pretty similar in all music genres, if you dont make an album for a decade people will lose interest in you and you will fade into an obscure state where a few die hard fans will stay loyal but the public just wont care anymore. i think it has absolutely nothing to do with him being old, its the fact that he didnt give the fans what they wanted and when he did it was some over hyped garbage. please believe it would have made a huge difference if it was a hot album.

Truth. This is what I was basically saying.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

abanks47 Date: Thursday, 04/Feb/10, 11:13 AM | Message # 25

Emcees
Quote (TheWatcher)
It's been almost 14 years since Tupac died, do you not still listen to Tupac joints? I know I do and if so, does that still make him irrelevant?

if you're still listening to pac than that makes him relevant in hip hop, i actually just recently started getting into his unreleased and its really changing how i see hip hop. 2pac in my eyes will always be relevant in hip hop whether or not the listernes/fans like him is a different story but he did a lot, way more than Rakim IMO.

“those who consider themselves the most adamant adherents of “real” hip-hop can also be the least knowledgeable.” –Adilifu Nama; an excert from his perception of Nas’s “Genesis”

eboyd Date: Thursday, 04/Feb/10, 12:43 PM | Message # 26

Heads
Quote (abanks47)
if you're still listening to pac than that makes him relevant in hip hop, i actually just recently started getting into his unreleased and its really changing how i see hip hop. 2pac in my eyes will always be relevant in hip hop whether or not the listernes/fans like him is a different story but he did a lot, way more than Rakim IMO.

Maybe commercially, but Rakim even had an influence on Pac. A lot of heads back in the day considered Pac fake. I'm not saying I do. I like Pac. Pac pretty much had the same status back then as Lil Wayne does now, the only difference being that Pac actually had something to say and didn't sound like a whining gremlin on the mic lol :D

Pac was the guy who blew up. Rakim was more like the Jimi Hendrix of this shit: while his record sales were never much, he birthed an entire style of hip hop that allowed such artists like 2pac to even exist in the first place and make the money that they did off of record sales.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

ALCATRAZ Date: Thursday, 04/Feb/10, 1:43 PM | Message # 27

Writers
Quote (TheWatcher)

Just because someone is dead doesn't automatically make them irrelevant. People talk about 2Pac who has been dead for over a decade more than they talk about Rakim who is still alive and kicking it. What's your point?

Quote (eboyd)
I don't have a copy of the album.

You didn't have to tell me that. I already knew.

Quote (eboyd)
A lot of heads back in the day considered Pac fake.

LOL like who?

Quote (eboyd)
he birthed an entire style of hip hop that allowed such artists like 2pac to even exist in the first place and make the money that they did off of record sales.

I can agree with this. Rakim's style is probably the most used, most bitten style in rap history. He revolutionized rhyming, to say the least. But that doesn't make Rakim the rapper any more relevant today. Just because he laid the groundwork doesn't make him relevant 80 years from now. 2Pac is relevant because people still can't forget about him. Every album he releases goes damn near Platinum within the first year of its release. That is relevance. Rakim goes double wood every time he drops and people get mad when I say it's because no one wants to hear his 1984 raps anymore.

abanks47 Date: Thursday, 04/Feb/10, 2:13 PM | Message # 28

Emcees
Quote (eboyd)
Maybe commercially, but Rakim even had an influence on Pac. A lot of heads back in the day considered Pac fake. I'm not saying I do. I like Pac. Pac pretty much had the same status back then as Lil Wayne does now, the only difference being that Pac actually had something to say and didn't sound like a whining gremlin on the mic lol :D

Pac was the guy who blew up. Rakim was more like the Jimi Hendrix of this shit: while his record sales were never much, he birthed an entire style of hip hop that allowed such artists like 2pac to even exist in the first place and make the money that they did off of record sales.

just because someone creates a style doesn't make them the best at it nor does that entitle them to eat off the people they inspired. pac enhanced rakims style, as did damn near every other rapper after him, making it there own. pac gave the people what they wanted at a pretty fast rate. also i'd have to agree with alcatrash, i dont think anyone thought pac was fake. i think a few people feared him actually

TheWatcher Date: Thursday, 04/Feb/10, 3:12 PM | Message # 29

Heads
Quote (ALCATRAZ)
your point?

My point was mainly that just because something or someone is old does not automatically make it/him/her irrelevant.

Quote (abanks47)

Yeah, no doubt. I love Tupac, the only reason for why I jumped into the argument/debate was because I didn't agree with the reason for why Alcatraz thought Rakim was irrelevant.

Chinita Date: Thursday, 04/Feb/10, 3:30 PM | Message # 30

Heads
Quote (Pensmoke)
My vid is featured at the bottom of the article:

thats a fantastic article, thats oldschoolscholor website, he put you and letsspeaklhiphop both members in our group and site and u know the guys that own that blog are in our group also.. big ups pen..

http://www.youtube.com/user/OldSchoolScholar

Forum » Real HIP HOP Forever » Hip Hop History/Knowledge » Expiration Date In Hip Hop
Search: