[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
  • Page 2 of 2
  • «
Forum moderator: ThaScience, Aristotle, El_Matador  
Forum » Real HIP HOP Forever » Hip Hop History/Knowledge » Difference Between Hip Hop & Rap (New Members Please Read) (What Is Hip Hop Culture?)
Difference Between Hip Hop & Rap (New Members Please Read)
chinita Date: Wednesday, 20/May/09, 12:27 PM | Message # 16

Watchers
i'mmma hip hop babyyyyyyyyy lol
no body does it like the bones smile wow i forgot all about this track.. hey i might put this on the front page on auto start sometime smile
ok this eye ball is annoying and ugly lol
MAK_The_Lucid_Tongue Date: Wednesday, 20/May/09, 12:33 PM | Message # 17

Emcees
happy IT SHOULD BE ON THERE!......... ALOTTA BONES MUSIC GO'S UNRECOGNIZED IN THE HIPHOP CULTURE CUZ PPL EITHER THINK THEY'RE TOO GANGATA RAP OR THEy SING TOO MUCH.............BUT BONE IS HIPHOP! AND HEAVILY INTO THE MUSIC............
AND YES! THE EYEBALL IS SUPER UGLY - lol

"UNTIL THEY STOP ME, BURY, MURDER ME OR DROP ME, I GOT...THUG LUV FOR MY NATIONWIDE POSSE"

Chinita Date: Wednesday, 20/May/09, 8:27 PM | Message # 18

Heads
i decided to throw it back further smile

EmSeeD Date: Wednesday, 18/Aug/10, 4:46 AM | Message # 19

Heads
heres a thought

is it possible to DJ without being hip hop? yes eg. there are DJ's house music and even in Rock Bands (Incubus, Sublime, Linkin Park etc) but they're not hip hop

is it possible to do graffiti without being hip hop? yes i think so. scribbling random shit on a toilet wall is graffiti, however its got nothing to do with hip hop

now is it possible to rap without being hip hop? yes (Blondie, Fergie, Rage Against The Machine etc) just like pop rap

so if this is true i guess this is where the difference between hip hop and rap came from and this is the true difference between hip hop and rap

the only one i can't think of is b-boying, you can't bboy without being hip hop (unless you can think of a way)

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
EmSeeD Date: Friday, 20/Aug/10, 6:28 PM | Message # 20

Heads
what you're saying makes no sense, we haven't had political threads made in ages, people comment on them as much as any other thread, maybe less actually. you're just using this time as an excuse to start bitching about how much you hate politics

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
RealestReeken Date: Tuesday, 24/Aug/10, 9:44 PM | Message # 21

Emcees
rap is something you do hip hop is something you love

If You Real Hip Hop We Family

Temple of Hip Hop

Chinita Date: Wednesday, 25/Aug/10, 7:25 PM | Message # 22

Heads
yesirry :) hip hop is u and me

Adam Date: Wednesday, 25/Aug/10, 7:46 PM | Message # 23

B-Girls
and me to

I JUST EXPLODED INTO RAINBOWS AND LOLLIPOPS!
EverGlazed Date: Saturday, 16/Jul/11, 12:07 PM | Message # 24

Writers
The way I look at it is that its all Hip Hop, Rap is just a verb for me. To Rap...
To Rap is to MC. Obviously 'Gangsta Rap' kinda confused things, but you could easily call it 'Gangsta Hip Hop'....
Its all Hip Hop, in its many forms. Hip Hop is a culture, but it is clearly a Genre aswell.
I get really annoyed when people come on my Hip Hop channel and call something 'Rap'..as a pose to 'Hip Hop'.
Some people (mainly outside of the culture) do call the genre as a whole, Rap. I dont really mind this, I just hate it that people separate it as 2 different genre's.

http://www.youtube.com/user/EverGlazed?feature=mhum
eboyd Date: Sunday, 17/Jul/11, 5:48 AM | Message # 25

Heads
rapping and emceeing are two separate things imo though. there's a certain respect level, skill set, and skill level that one must attain to become an emcee but anyone can be a rapper. that's kind of how i see it.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Adam Date: Sunday, 17/Jul/11, 6:54 PM | Message # 26

B-Girls
emceeing is just moving the crowd anyway you can, and not specifically rapping. Rapping is a verb and a part of hip hop.

of course this would probably make sense in way the beginning of things, but now its very difficult to define rapping or emceeing.

I JUST EXPLODED INTO RAINBOWS AND LOLLIPOPS!
Greeny Date: Sunday, 17/Jul/11, 7:59 PM | Message # 27

OGs
Quote (EverGlazed)
The way I look at it is that its all Hip Hop, Rap is just a verb for me. To Rap...
To Rap is to MC. Obviously 'Gangsta Rap' kinda confused things, but you could easily call it 'Gangsta Hip Hop'....
Its all Hip Hop, in its many forms. Hip Hop is a culture, but it is clearly a Genre aswell.
I get really annoyed when people come on my Hip Hop channel and call something 'Rap'..as a pose to 'Hip Hop'.
Some people (mainly outside of the culture) do call the genre as a whole, Rap. I dont really mind this, I just hate it that people separate it as 2 different genre's.

It's often being complicated, but there really is a need for a more specific term for the two. It can be real hip hop / hip hop, or it can be rap / hip hop. That's how I see it. You can't put up a quality control, it's subjective and alladat, but a computer could sort music in genres.
I think rap to hip hop what the sax is to jazz. It's very dominant, and people, who are don't really care, hear some horn, say it's a saxophone, and therefore the music that is playing is jazz. People hear a rapper, and have already decided whether they like hip hop music, and don't even give it a chance; they'll just blast off some racist jokes and stereotypical nonsense, and they'll label it pothead music.
An example, noticeably coloured by my experiences. It's just certain people ...

:)
Forum » Real HIP HOP Forever » Hip Hop History/Knowledge » Difference Between Hip Hop & Rap (New Members Please Read) (What Is Hip Hop Culture?)
  • Page 2 of 2
  • «
Search: