[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Forum moderator: El_Matador, ThaScience, Aristotle  
Forum » Real HIP HOP Forever » Elements (DJ,Graff Art, BBoy,Bbox) » BreakDancing (Brief History And Videos) (Hip Hop Element)
BreakDancing (Brief History And Videos)
Chinita Date: Wednesday, 18/Mar/09, 8:06 PM | Message # 1

Heads
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Breakdancing, also known as "B-boying" or "B-girling" Breaking by its practitioners and followers, is a dynamic style of dance that is part of Hip Hop culture and emerged out of the Hip-Hop movement in the South Bronx of New York City during the late 20th century. Breakdancing is one of the many elements of Hip Hop culture. The unique form of dancing is very acrobatic and creative. Breakdance has been performed in countless shows, music videos and at dance clubs.

Its a street dance style that evolved as part of the hip hop movement among African American and Puerto Rican youths in Manhattan and the South Bronx of New York City during the early 1970s. It is normally danced to pop, funk or hip hop music, often remixed to prolong the breaks, and is a well-known hip hop dance style. B-Boys means break boys and they were called so because they dance to the break part of music. Later, by repeating this break part done by DJ, "breakbeats" was born.

The Freshest Kids: The Latin B-Boy Godfathers

(UP)ROCK BROOKLYN HISTORY CLIP ONE

NYC Breakerz Vs Rock Steady Crew

New York City Breakers - Graffiti Rock

BBOY PROPAGANDA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk3CtetALqs&feature=channel_page

B BOY SUPREME RED VENOM

StreeT breakdance battle

eboyd Date: Wednesday, 18/Mar/09, 8:15 PM | Message # 2

Heads
RIP CRAZY LEGS! WE MISS YOU!!! :'(

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Chinita Date: Wednesday, 18/Mar/09, 8:22 PM | Message # 3

Heads
rip to all the breakers we lost..

frosty freeze.. so many legendary breakers passed so young..

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23954584/

Chinita Date: Wednesday, 18/Mar/09, 8:25 PM | Message # 4

Heads
Frosty Freeze

Chinita Date: Wednesday, 18/Mar/09, 8:31 PM | Message # 5

Heads
oh erik we didnt loose crazy legs yet, i dont think so..i know we lost alot of the rock stready and breaker boys but not him..crazy legs is still around lol

Chinita Date: Wednesday, 18/Mar/09, 8:32 PM | Message # 6

Heads
Rock Steady Crew!!! Crazy Legs original B-Boy

Chinita Date: Wednesday, 18/Mar/09, 8:41 PM | Message # 7

Heads
Breakdancing is probably connected to Urban Street Jazz or more likely capoeira, an Afro-Brazilian martial art/dance. Breakdancing as we know it today developed in New York City in the late 1970s and early 1980s, although there is some controversy, many argue that it was also developing in Los Angeles at the same time. However, the majority believes it is strictly of New York origin. The original practitioners (Crazy Legs, Spy, the Nigga Twins, etc.) say that other dances that people commonly associate with b-boying such as capoeira may have influenced b-boys (many b-boys are known to gather influence from old Kung Fu films). However, b-boying does not stem from those dances.

Prototypically the pioneers of breakdancing were young and of a lower socioeconomic class. The majority of these were male, and most were Black or Hispanic, and lived in dense urban areas (mostly New York). Many of them were members of street gangs who taught themselves martial arts (particularly capoeira) for self defense. The style was so full of dance-like moves that it translated well to the nightclub, where breakdancers would battle. Breakdancing, both in the nightclub and on the street is competitive in nature, much like the other elements of hip-hop, as well as capoeira.

One story that is common is that Mestre Jelon Vieira, a widely known master of capoeira, was doing shows in New York City. He then formed the Rock Steady Crew, teaching them movements from capoeira which they then integrated into a form of dance which was to become breakdancing. Whether or not this is true, there is a very strong similarity between many breakdancing moves and many capoeira movements. For example, the movement pictured in the stamp above is very similar to a capoeira movement called queda de rins. Capoeira also has the tradition of a pair of opponents playing a flowing game in which they try to show their mastery inside a circle of onlookers who sing and play music. In any case, the two arts have since diverged sharply.

BREAKIN-1984-OLD SCHOOL BREAKERS

eboyd Date: Thursday, 19/Mar/09, 8:36 AM | Message # 8

Heads
Quote (LadyChinita)
oh erik we didnt loose crazy legs yet, i dont think so..i know we lost alot of the rock stready and breaker boys but not him..crazy legs is still around lol

my bad! lol! not Crazy Legs, i meant Frosty Freeze. i got them mixed up. lol!

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Chinita Date: Thursday, 19/Mar/09, 8:45 AM | Message # 9

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
my bad! lol! not Crazy Legs, i meant Frosty Freeze. i got them mixed up. lol!

lol dont worry, i usually do to.. i think we lost bowlegged lou..dont remember. got to ask my friend giggles..we use to hang with many of them but she still keeps in touch with some of the old breakers.

eboyd Date: Thursday, 19/Mar/09, 8:47 AM | Message # 10

Heads
oh, kooooool! btw, go vote in the battle with me vs. Pensmoke. i just posted my last verse.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Deadly-Sin Date: Thursday, 19/Mar/09, 2:33 PM | Message # 11

Removed
We already have a B-boy thread. lol someone merge them please
UniteC Date: Wednesday, 25/Mar/09, 6:02 PM | Message # 12

Emcees
ive been bboying for like three or four years now....
it really showed me that there was a different world of music that i never knew b 4

b 4 i started breakin i knew nuthing about hip hop or hip hop culture....
it makes me wonder...wat it fills like to be like all the rest of the heads who kno nuthing about this culture...
cuz i dont really remember wat it fills like hahahahha

heres a vid of couple of my boys...
this was a LONG time ago so we kinda suck...
were MUCH better now..

"Flows got the breeze on my clothes got the scent of trees/
i lay back and blow sax like kenny G'g/"

"Whole body blingin' like 3PO nigga..."

Chinita Date: Monday, 06/Apr/09, 8:10 PM | Message # 13

Heads
Quote (UniteC)
ive been bboying for like three or four years now....
it really showed me that there was a different world of music that i never knew b 4

oh wow thats great, i like that video..thats not bad..yea this culture is very neglected that its sad because it played such a big part in hip hop history.. we are in the middles of discussing the new website now, we are going to include a seperate section for bboys and all the elements of hip hop, beatboxin, graffiti, dejaying etc, some history on how it plays a part in hip hop etc...

everyone should check this out..great video for all hip hop heads.

BBOY PROPAGANDA (link)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk3CtetALqs&feature=channel_page

Chinita Date: Saturday, 18/Apr/09, 1:39 AM | Message # 14

Heads

Chinita Date: Saturday, 18/Apr/09, 1:47 AM | Message # 15

Heads
BBOY SUMMER JAM 2007 1st ROUND SHORTY BRICK

Forum » Real HIP HOP Forever » Elements (DJ,Graff Art, BBoy,Bbox) » BreakDancing (Brief History And Videos) (Hip Hop Element)
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search: