[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Forum moderator: El_Matador, ThaScience, Aristotle  
Forum » Real HIP HOP Forever » Elements (DJ,Graff Art, BBoy,Bbox) » The Order of Hip Hop
The Order of Hip Hop
Which element came first?
1.DJing[ 1 ][12.50%]
2.Breakdancing[ 0 ][0.00%]
3.Rapping[ 2 ][25.00%]
4.Beatboxing[ 0 ][0.00%]
5.Graffiti[ 5 ][62.50%]
Answers total: 8
MashPotato Date: Sunday, 07/Mar/10, 2:11 AM | Message # 1

DJs
Message text not specified

Save Time Travel
Register at chess.com (free). Send me your username. I'll challenge you.
eboyd Date: Sunday, 07/Mar/10, 2:21 AM | Message # 2

Heads
Graffiti was the first artform to definitively take shape in the hip hop culture in Philly, however, it wasn't truly realized as part of the larger movement until DJ Kool Herc began doing calligraphy-style graffiti (which he began doing before the famed August 14, 1973 party that is said to have been the true beginning of hip hop). Btw, "rapping" should be changed to "emceeing" as rapping is not an element of hip hop, but emceeing is. Additionally, to be more correct, "breakdancing" should be changed to "b-boying/b-girling" and "graffiti" to "writing".

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

EmSeeD Date: Sunday, 07/Mar/10, 2:55 AM | Message # 3

Heads
what he said but

Quote (eboyd)
"breakdancing" should be changed to "b-boying/b-girling" and "graffiti" to "writing".

i understand the argument for emceeing and rapping but i think those ones are pushing it, they're the same thing to me

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
Acekat00o Date: Sunday, 07/Mar/10, 1:12 PM | Message # 4

Heads
If you ain't doing one of those elements you're not respecting Hip-Hop :p

Graffiti
EmSeeD Date: Sunday, 07/Mar/10, 3:14 PM | Message # 5

Heads
Quote (Acekat00o)
If you ain't doing one of those elements you're not respecting Hip-Hop

nah man not everyone who listens to hip hop is gonna be a rapper, writer etc

MashPotato Date: Sunday, 07/Mar/10, 11:41 PM | Message # 6

DJs
Quote (eboyd)
"graffiti" to "writing"

If I sprayed a picture of your face, you wouldn't call it "writing". Writing is the usage of letters while the word graffiti encompasses everything you can do with a paint can.

Why aren't smoking blunts, drinking 40's, and tricking rides not considered Elements?

Save Time Travel
eboyd Date: Monday, 08/Mar/10, 0:31 AM | Message # 7

Heads
Because they weren't originally prevalent in hip hop. Smoking blunts and drinking 40's wasn't tied in as a facet of hip hop lifestyle until the early 90's (doesn't mean they weren't doing that shit low key back in the day though. It just wasn't important until then). As for "tricking rides", I really don't consider that to be associated even to this day. That is more associated to pop rap which I could care less about.

Quote (MashPotato)
If I sprayed a picture of your face, you wouldn't call it "writing". Writing is the usage of letters while the word graffiti encompasses everything you can do with a paint can.

Ask a true writer/graf artist/whatever whether you should call him and his fellow writers/graf artists writers or graffiti artists and I bet 90% will tell you that it is more proper to call them writers. This is coming from experience when I've called them graf artists and they've corrected me. Same goes for b-boys and b-girls. Many (at least those that actually are a part of hip hop lifestyle) hate being called break dancers.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

MashPotato Date: Monday, 08/Mar/10, 1:33 AM | Message # 8

DJs
I don't know, man. You author a book or even a decent short story and I'll call you a "writer". Mark Twain was a Writer. Cornbread was mental and wrote his name on things as a way of faking ownership and control of the otherwise very unstable life he was living. Draw something on a wall... nah. You're not worthy of the title "writer" for that even if you make it look all pretty. The word may be used by those who don't know what the word actually means, but I won't call a graffiti artist a "writer" because it's an incorrect use of the word and I wouldn't want to participate in bastardizing it that way. To each their own. It's not for me.

...I may be wrong about this, but I believe the "b-" in b-boy and b-girl stands for something. Maybe it means "Breakdancing"? Maybe the b- stands for Bitch because they're complaint is totally illogical when the word they don't like is in the title they prefer.

Save Time Travel
eboyd Date: Monday, 08/Mar/10, 1:39 AM | Message # 9

Heads
Quote (MashPotato)
I don't know, man. You author a book or even a decent short story and I'll call you a "writer". Mark Twain was a Writer. Cornbread was mental and wrote his name on things as a way of faking ownership and control of the otherwise very unstable life he was living. Draw something on a wall... nah. You're not worthy of the title "writer" for that even if you make it look all pretty. The word may be used by those who don't know what the word actually means, but I won't call a graffiti artist a "writer" because it's an incorrect use of the word and I wouldn't want to participate in bastardizing it that way. To each their own. It's not for me.

lol come on, hip hop heads bastardize words all the time. def is a compliment in hip hop lol. it's not a big deal to me. call them what they prefer to be called. that's what i think. it's nothing to complain over.

Quote (MashPotato)
...I may be wrong about this, but I believe the "b-" in b-boy and b-girl stands for something.

it stands for break because they dance to DJ Kool Herc's break beats.

Quote (MashPotato)
Maybe the b- stands for Bitch because they're complaint is totally illogical when the word they don't like is in the title they prefer.

rofl

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

eboyd Date: Monday, 08/Mar/10, 1:41 AM | Message # 10

Heads
Quote (MashPotato)
1. DJing [ 1 ] [16.67%]
2. Breakdancing [ 0 ] [0.00%]
3. Rapping [ 1 ] [16.67%]
4. Beatboxing [ 0 ] [0.00%]
5. Graffiti [ 4 ] [66.67%]

lol it definitely wasn't rapping (or emceeing for that matter), unless someone wants to consider Gil Scott Heron's original poetry hip hop, which, imo, is a stretch. the first thing to claim title to the hip hop culture was graf, though hip hop wasn't fully realized until the break beat was invented by Kool Herc.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

MashPotato Date: Monday, 08/Mar/10, 1:51 AM | Message # 11

DJs
Quote (eboyd)
it's nothing to complain over.

I know. I was laughing as I typed. I don't mean to sound like I'm really bitching about it. I'm juss talkin like I talk.

Quote (eboyd)
it stands for break

Break beat, break dance, break boy, break girl... I think all of those "breaks" mean the exact same thing. So then it comes down to the word Dance... I'm not against calling someone a b-boy, but I do think it's silly to be offended at being called a breakdancer. It's all about personal preference I guess. *steps on toes*

Save Time Travel
eboyd Date: Monday, 08/Mar/10, 1:54 AM | Message # 12

Heads
Quote (MashPotato)
I know. I was laughing as I typed. I don't mean to sound like I'm really bitching about it. I'm juss talkin like I talk.

haha ok i feel you :D

Quote (MashPotato)
Break beat, break dance, break boy, break girl... I think all of those "breaks" mean the exact same thing. So then it comes down to the word Dance... I'm not against calling someone a b-boy, but I do think it's silly to be offended at being called a breakdancer. It's all about personal preference I guess. *steps on toes*

yeah, for sure lol. i mean seriously, i don't give a shit, but then again, i do correct people when they call me a rapper, so idk. there's a firm difference between a rapper and an emcee though imo.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

EmSeeD Date: Monday, 08/Mar/10, 2:01 AM | Message # 13

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
lol it definitely wasn't rapping (or emceeing for that matter), unless someone wants to consider Gil Scott Heron's original poetry hip hop, which, imo, is a stretch. the first thing to claim title to the hip hop culture was graf, though hip hop wasn't fully realized until the break beat was invented by Kool Herc.

some people even say Muhammed Ali was the first rapper lol, i think he was an inspriation but thats it

MashPotato Date: Monday, 08/Mar/10, 2:05 AM | Message # 14

DJs
MC'ing is controlling / "moving" / hosting a crowd while rapping is one specific thing an MC may do?

Added (08/Mar/10, 2:05 Am)
---------------------------------------------
About rapping being first, I was told that rap started a very long time ago in the southeast US. As for the integration into Hiip Hop, I believed that DJing technically came first - you have to have the music before people can dance to it, and you have to have the music before people can rap over it. That's what I had thought.

Save Time Travel
eboyd Date: Monday, 08/Mar/10, 2:10 AM | Message # 15

Heads
Quote (MashPotato)
MC'ing is controlling / "moving" / hosting a crowd while rapping is one specific thing an MC may do?

in a sense. i think there's more to it than that though.

Quote (MashPotato)
About rapping being first, I was told that rap started a very long time ago in the southeast US. As for the integration into Hiip Hop, I believed that DJing technically came first - you have to have the music before people can dance to it, and you have to have the music before people can rap over it. That's what I had thought.

well rapping, in multiple forms, has existed forever and dates its history as far back as BC times in the form of ancient griots (storytellers) in Africa. the term "rap" came about independent of hip hop as slang for talking to a girl, and also to talk about someone's rep. it wasn't really integrated into hip hop until its commercialization, which is why i don't consider emceeing rapping or rappers to be members of the hip hop community.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Forum » Real HIP HOP Forever » Elements (DJ,Graff Art, BBoy,Bbox) » The Order of Hip Hop
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Search: