[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Forum moderator: ThaScience, s0dr2  
Forum » Knowledge » Religion » The Thiest Survival Kit - Protection From The Walking Idiots
The Thiest Survival Kit - Protection From The Walking Idiots
Adam Date: Sunday, 19/Aug/12, 4:07 PM | Message # 1

B-Girls
This thread will breakdown various theist groups and their common arguments against atheism/agnosticism.

I. Common Misconceptions About Atheism/Agnosticism
II. Common Misconceptions About Evolution
III. Christian Apologists (these are BIG DADDY types like meth)
IV. Catholics (these are fun)
V. Muslims (very vicious and absurd)
VI. Creationists (oohh boy)
VII. ...

I. Common Misconceptions About Atheism/Agnosticism -

First thing to say is that most atheists are not positive atheists. We do not think for one second that we can scientifically disprove the existence of a creator. However we see no reason convincing enough to believe in a creator.

• Atheists think that something can come from nothing. We simply do not know what that nothing is. It is a gap in our understanding of the origins of the universe. That doesn’t mean the existence of a creator would make an easy escape, because then we are gifted with an even bigger gap then before, who created the creator? Well that is also safe guarded because the creator is beyond understanding and reason… well fuck.

• We have no morals! This one is a gem, and is abused by Muslims. The idea that we follow no rules and are recklessly destroying the good values organized religion likes to take complete credit for. It is true that evolution itself has no definitive right and wrong. However if I step on a porcupine, chances are I am not going to step on it again. I scratch your back, you scratch mines. These are all basic things we can understand through observing reality and experiencing it. So too say that a world full of atheist would be a terrible place is bullocks. We are not victim to the principles of Darwinian nature anymore. Give human beings some credit SHEESH! A world without religion, is not a world with law.

• Hitler and Stalin and their actions were a product of Atheism. BULLSHIT. Stalin was in fact an atheist, but his atheism played no role in his actions at all. Now Hitler is not an atheist, but one can argue that his actions displayed a Darwinian nature of survival of the fittest. HOWEVER he took that natural principle into his own hands and like I said earlier we are not victims to the Darwinian principles any longer. That is why we have shelter homes and such.

II. Common Misconceptions About Evolution -

III. Christian Apologists (these are sophist types like meth) -

IV. Catholics (these are fun) -

Most Catholics understand that proving god is impossible to do. Because of this when arguing with a catholic it is very common to get into a circular argument. This can be avoided however. All you have to do is point out that they are using The God of The Gaps. The God of The Gaps is basically answering the holes in our understanding with magic. Since we don’t know the cause of matter or how the universe was created, it is simply God. They become even more convinced that this is a plausible tactic simply because they have a very poor understanding of atheism. Some may claim that the only thing a human being can prove absolutely is that the human being exists, and the human beings can only prove this to itself. It cannot prove anything else at all. This is an attempt to make atheism seem a leap of faith. It is in fact not a leap of faith.

• Why is Atheism not a leap of faith? - an Atheist who does not believe in God; without justifications; requires no faith. Negation of a belief is not a positive belief.

At this point once we get down to the fact that we cannot disprove god nor prove god, Catholics will usually try to reason that belief in a creator is more reasonable and rational than to not believe in it. The answers Catholicism gives are enough to justify it regardless if the answers are true or not. They use happiness, hope, purpose, and safe harbor to justify their belief. The only reasonable thing is the truth, not a safe and convenient illusion. It is human nature to ask why, however that is not a valid question and is silly. There is no ultimate purpose for human life or the universe. That doesn’t mean that we cannot have personal goals or meaning.

V. Muslims (very vicious and absurd) -

VI. Creationists (oohh boy) -

ILL FINISH THIS LATER I DON'T REALLY CARE IF YOU FIND THIS INFORMATIVE OR NOT. I JUST WANT TO START PREPARING A HUGE COLLECTION OF RESOURCES FOR MYSELF.

I JUST EXPLODED INTO RAINBOWS AND LOLLIPOPS!

Message edited by Adam - Tuesday, 21/Aug/12, 7:32 AM
Greeny Date: Monday, 20/Aug/12, 4:10 AM | Message # 2

OGs
Dawkin dickrider!

:)
Adam Date: Monday, 20/Aug/12, 3:04 PM | Message # 3

B-Girls
There is like 2 things I learned from dawkins in there, the rest was the atheist experience in austin, and infiltrating religious forums. But even so what is wrong with dawkin's dick?

Greeny Date: Monday, 20/Aug/12, 11:20 PM | Message # 4

OGs
It's wrinkly and depressive.
Your form of atheism is destructive.

s0dr2 Date: Monday, 20/Aug/12, 11:39 PM | Message # 5

OGs
Quote (Adam)
Since we don’t know the cause of matter or how the universe was created, it is simply God.

by this, i assume you have a very poor understanding of catholicism which is ironic considering your subject matter. Catholics can justify their beliefs through reason, but most Catholics (i should say Christians) believe in God mainly because He revealed Himself

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

s0dr2 Date: Monday, 20/Aug/12, 11:42 PM | Message # 6

OGs
let me save you some trouble my dear adam
Attachments: 0358062.jpg (34.5 Kb)

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Adam Date: Tuesday, 21/Aug/12, 0:35 AM | Message # 7

B-Girls
That would be fine and dandy, if religion didn't have its hands in everything. Let us not forget tax exemptions. We lose 70+ billion dollars a year to religious tax exemptions. Money that we alone could use to further mankind as a whole through medicine and well more useful and productive ways. You don't want to play the live and let live card with me, it is not worth it. For you, sitting on the sidelines may be fine, but for me I want to squeeze as much out of life as we can as a people. It is the struggle to discover the things surrounding us that provokes me.

In fact I am tempted to assume you do not know the cost of religion, compared to the benefits of religion. No I am not talking about disputes and death, I am talking about the costs that are occurring right now.

Quote (s0dr2)
Catholics can justify their beliefs through reason.

Nope.

Quote (Greeny)
Your form of atheism is destructive.

to what? I see no destruction worth losing sleep over when truth is delivered.

Message edited by Adam - Tuesday, 21/Aug/12, 2:08 AM
EmSeeD Date: Tuesday, 21/Aug/12, 1:54 AM | Message # 8

Heads
how long have you been an atheist adam, i remember you were a christian before

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
Adam Date: Tuesday, 21/Aug/12, 2:07 AM | Message # 9

B-Girls
I don't think I was a theist still before coming to this site, so maybe you are mistaken. I stopped believing around 14-15 though. At least if my memory is correct.

Greeny Date: Tuesday, 21/Aug/12, 3:55 AM | Message # 10

OGs
Militant atheists are such assholes.

Adam Date: Tuesday, 21/Aug/12, 3:59 AM | Message # 11

B-Girls
I don't want everyone to be atheist, I just want believers to keep to themselves and not interfere with scientists and people who wanna do genetic engineering.

Greeny Date: Tuesday, 21/Aug/12, 4:31 AM | Message # 12

OGs
Well, then we agree. Religious people shouldn't get involved in science. It's based on reason, religion isn't.
Just that you were defending atheism as a whole while attacking religions. Although the God of Gaps argument is relevant.

Message edited by Greeny - Tuesday, 21/Aug/12, 4:31 AM
Greeny Date: Tuesday, 21/Aug/12, 4:32 AM | Message # 13

OGs
And also you were talking in the chatbox about converting your family, which I found fucked up.

EmSeeD Date: Tuesday, 21/Aug/12, 6:53 AM | Message # 14

Heads
Quote (Greeny)
And also you were talking in the chatbox about converting your family, which I found fucked up.

As long as he doesn't be an asshole about it, I don't see whats so bad about sharing your ideas on atheism with your family. There are some atheists that can be over the top. But it goes the other way too. I've met some tolerant christians but the majority I've met will take what the bible says over anything else which I think is dangerous. I'm all for christians who don't take the every word of the bible literally though.

christian apologists can be annoying too, I'm interested to see what you have to say about them adam

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
Greeny Date: Tuesday, 21/Aug/12, 7:42 AM | Message # 15

OGs
Quote (EmSeeD)
As long as he doesn't be an asshole about it, I don't see whats so bad about sharing your ideas on atheism with your family.

Trying to convert your christian family, your mother and father who brought you up in christian manners with their beliefs and values, will only upset them, and likely worry them very much seeing as they're convinced you'll go to hell, because you'll probably fail since they're halfway through their lives now and settled in to their ways, and even if you succeed you'll have to convince them they've pretty much wasted their lives and they'll need to get over that before going on with their secular lives in a "healthy" manner.

How are christian apologists annoying? Someone's got to rationalize christians' irrational behavior. They need faith, so I don't really think they're in position to argue for themselves. If they said they just wanna enjoy their false reality they wouldn't really believe in it.

I see religion as a deceptive tool for making peace with death. The concept of heaven is problematic because it can make this life worthless, so there need to be some regulations to avoid mass suicide. Little regulations here and there, writing then-appropriate (relatively speaking) morals in stone, filling little loopholes and whatnot, and whooptie, here's christianity. Might be a bit speculative, but I think most religions are built around this concept of heaven. They certainly all have an answer to this universal anxiety of ours.

Forum » Knowledge » Religion » The Thiest Survival Kit - Protection From The Walking Idiots
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search: