[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: s0dr2, Aristotle, ThaScience  
Forum » Real HIP HOP Forever » Artists Introduction » Japanese Hip Hop Primer (An Introduction to JHop)
Japanese Hip Hop Primer
MashPotato Date: Tuesday, 02/Mar/10, 1:41 AM | Message # 1

DJs
Twigy
Twigy is one of the original late 80's rappers in Japan. Specializing in live performances Twigy has also have over 19 releases and performed on at least 60 songs with other artists. Though he didn't being that way Twigy was fundamental in the creation and spread of hard core Japanese Hip Hop. Bridging the gap, this is a video US turntablist DJ Quietstorm with Twigy on the mic.

King Giddra
The mind of K Dub Shine and the powerhouse that is Zeebra backed by the standards of DJ Oasis... Damn. Between 1993 and 2003 they made albums together under this name as well as each of them releasing a lot of solo work. This is what they thought about the US's 911 incident.

Zeebra
I won't say he's like a Japanese 2Pac because that may make a lot of people in the States mad. So, I didn't say that.

K Dub Shine
He IS Tokyo hardcore but he learned how Hip Hop could be used as a cultural voice in Philly. You're not ready for this master, I won't even warn you...

DJ Oasis
Oh, fuck. Someone gave the DJ a microphone... and he knows how to use it.

RIP Slyme
Ryo-Z, Ilmari & Pes (RIP), along with Su and DJ Fumiya make up this Funkastic band. When pronounced, their name sounds like "Lips Rhymes", or "Rips Rhymes". Their early music clearly resonates the vibe of the oldest schools of US Hip Hop. By their 29th release you can hear them fading away from JHop into JPop. The best way I can describe them is to say they're like if you were listening to the Beastie Boys in their most lively performances, but couldn't understand what they were saying. ;) Being a huge fan, it's difficult to choose only one from their 200+ song library... I think I'll go with this one for the fellas. ;)

HALCALI
RIP Slyme has always been fundamental in promoting the Hip Hop culture and they were holding auditions with an interest to fund the startup of female JHop groups, when they met these two girls. HALCALI is pronounced like "hara-kiri" (ritualistic suicide) which gives them a rough edge, but they're anything besides the cutest rappers you'll ever see. They effortlessly walk the boarder between JHop and JPop.

DABO
Pronounced "Day Boh". The harder side of the Hop. He's known for relentlessly telling it like it is. He changes styles and experiments, but he always has this "constant flow". Kinda like how Too Short "just don't stop".

Nitro Microphone Underground
Take a few established hardcore street kids (Dabo, Macka-chin, Suiken) add the insanity of Gore-Tex, spread some XBS on the Deli, say the magic S-Word, and Bigzam! You've got somethin cookin, honey! Let me get some of that Japan Def Jam on my biscuits, please. ...go with me on this one. You ain't got to understand it, mother fucker, just respect it!

Kick The Can Crew
Seven of the coolest guys you could ever know and each one of them has something worthwhile to contribute. The band is almost overloaded. In fact, I think that's why it fell apart so early. Every fan will tell you that the Crew didn't last as long as they would've wished.

SugarHillStreet
This is a Hip Hop Television show that showcases what's going on and who's doing it. I'll throw a Rhymester performance at you though the camera work is horrible.

Shing02
From Japan to Tanzania to England to the SF Bay Area in 1989. By 1996 he was back in Japan and releasing his own unique worldly-influenced version of Hip Hop.

Save Time Travel
Register at chess.com (free). Send me your username. I'll challenge you.
Chinita Date: Tuesday, 02/Mar/10, 1:51 AM | Message # 2

Heads
wow this is a fantastic thread and you put so much work into..i read the first two and listened to the videos..awesome.. tomorrow i will read the rest.. i have to get to bed, i want to make a similiar thread soon for all the Jappanese producers, i love many of them like nujabes etc.

MashPotato Date: Tuesday, 02/Mar/10, 2:35 AM | Message # 3

DJs
I've found so much good music from the people on this site and wanted to share a little of what I know. I hope this gives a good view of how what the people in America started has developed into around the world. Well in Japan. It doesn't stop there. Hip Hop is large and influential around the world. The roots reach through the Earth. :D I <3 Hip Hop.

Save Time Travel
EmSeeD Date: Tuesday, 02/Mar/10, 2:43 AM | Message # 4

Heads
awesome, i've been more interested in international hip hop lately, even if i don't understand the lyrics i look for ones that have good beats, and i can still tell whether or not it rhymes or not so i can still tell if the rhymes are dope even if i don't understand it

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
HateMainstreamMusic Date: Tuesday, 02/Mar/10, 10:03 AM | Message # 5

Emcees
shing02 kicks ass

MashPotato Date: Wednesday, 03/Mar/10, 2:38 AM | Message # 6

DJs
EmSeeD, I think you'll enjoy this.

I made a mixtape of m-flo's work covering a few of his albums. He spits enough English in his rhymes that it's easy to know what he's talking about. Plus, the translations are on Google. He usually has a different (popular) female pop vocalist sing the chorus... I removed all of those atrocious pieces from each song. If you were to buy his albums, it would be a much different experience from this mix.

From Earth To Shine Past Beat Space Nine
(designed for maximum headphone pleasure)
Duration: 42:51
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?zmlzt2ktz2z

Save Time Travel
Furious_Pryme Date: Thursday, 19/Aug/10, 5:37 AM | Message # 7

Removed
Wait...im asian and i post asian hip-hop and it gets fuck all replys
and noone gave a shit....yet mash posts some asian hip-hop and
gets a bunch of love for it,,,,dont get me wrong great taste in asian
hip-hop, i dont much like zeebra, or kick the can crew, but the rest
are dope. im just saying,,,just cause im the only Aussie /asian doesnt mean u
can look down on my threads!

Added (19/Aug/10, 5:37 Am)
---------------------------------------------
mash can go fuck a spiked bat

EmSeeD Date: Thursday, 19/Aug/10, 5:51 AM | Message # 8

Heads
gringo please

at least she's actually been to Japan hahahahaha jk its only like 3 comments on here anyway

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
Furious_Pryme Date: Thursday, 19/Aug/10, 6:09 AM | Message # 9

Removed
Quote (EmSeeD)
at least she's actually been to Japan hahahahaha jk its only like 3 comments on here anyway

Whats a gringo?....and i was born there she is just some loser who went there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Added (19/Aug/10, 6:09 Am)
---------------------------------------------
AND IM ASIAN!....well half but still i want respect!!!!!!!

Adam Date: Thursday, 19/Aug/10, 2:41 PM | Message # 10

B-Girls
Hey 8diagrams is half asian to!

I JUST EXPLODED INTO RAINBOWS AND LOLLIPOPS!
Forum » Real HIP HOP Forever » Artists Introduction » Japanese Hip Hop Primer (An Introduction to JHop)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: