[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
Forum moderator: ThaScience, Aristotle, El_Matador  
Forum » Real HIP HOP Forever » Hip Hop History/Knowledge » Categorize Your Tastes In Hip Hop Music
Categorize Your Tastes In Hip Hop Music
eboyd Date: Friday, 20/Feb/09, 12:05 PM | Message # 1

Heads
If you have known me for a little while you would know that I despise labelling, however, I do realize a necessity for categorization in certain circumstances. This is an example of something where categorization can be beneficial. It can help us understand each other's common grounds and differences when it comes to hip hop. This can help us better understand each other and to share music. Now, hip hop can be categorized in 3 ways -- stylistically, by location, and chronologically. It's categorizations are similar to those found in Jazz. It can be stylistically broken down like this:

Breakbeat - this is the origin of hip hop. It is a minimalistic form of instrumental hip hop that didn't involve scratching, simply the extension of an instrumental break, usually of a fairly unknown track, using two turntables. This style was invented by Kool Herc.

Electronica/electro hip hop - this style was invented by Afrika Bambaataa who was a rival of Herc. It is composed of somewhat more original sounds made synthetically and had a space aged sound to it. It has sort of evolved outside of the realm of hip hop but is still closely related and early on electronica was categorized as hip hop.

Rock hop - invented by Run DMC. A sort of fusion of hard rock sounds (mainly in the drums) and hip hop. This is where we will hear the first time in hip hop that the TR-808, 909, 303, etc., are used.

Boom Bap - referred to by KRS-One as "original rap," this was the beginning of complex wordplay and alliteration along with hard 808 drum patterns. Artists who can be lumped into this category can also be placed in other categories as well, even with songs that also fit elsewhere. Everyone from Run DMC to more traditional underground artists of today fit into this categorization. Artists like KRS-One, Rakim and the Juice Crew all epitomize this style.

Abstract hip hop - utilizes heavy alliteration and strange sounds. Started by Rammellzee, includes artists/groups such as Dalek, Edan, etc.

Acid Jazz/Jazz Rap - this was started by Stetsasonic lead by infamous underground producer Prince Paul. Coincidentally this was also the beginning of the "hip hop band." Groups such as Gangstarr, A Tribe Called Quest and Us3 further perfected this style and it is still frequented today in modern underground hip hop. Can often coincide with abstract hip hop.

Political/Conscious Hip Hop - this began in the early eighties with Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five (though it had been around before hip hop's mainstreaming in 1979) and became political with Public Enemy and Paris. It is still widely used today and is more prevalent today than ever.

West Coast/Gangsta Rap/G-Funk - in 1986 NWA made their way on the scene with their little known, seldom hailed first album. In 1988 the tides changed and NWA ruled the game. This style of music involved breaks from west coast funk legends such as George Clinton rhymed over with hardcore gang related lyrics, often conveying a political message speaking out about police brutality. Artists don't need to be from the West coast to be Gangsta rap artists. Artists such as Guilty Simpson also fit here.

Mafioso Rap - in response to Gangsta rap, artists such as Kool G Rap adapted a style from the NY mafia scene. Others include Fat Joe and Big Pun.

Other West Coast Hip Hop - this is no official term, but refers to west coast hip hop that can't be categorized as Gansta Rap, but can't quite fit the Boom Bap style either and is often left uncategorized. The artists in this circle include Del Tha Funkee Homosapien, Souls of Mischief, People Under The Stairs, etc.

Acid Rap - started in the late 80's in Detroit with a rapper named Esham. Involved sounds meant to make the listener feel high on Acid. Often involved lyrics related to experiences during drug use, suicide, murder, etc. Grew beyond Detroit with artists such as Kool Keith (as Dr. Octagon) and Del The Funkee Homosapien and his group Deltron 3030 who talked about hallucinations, country infrastructure destroying computer viruses, etc. Is also prevalent today.

Horrorcore - similar in style to acid rap, but the beats are more hardcore and the the lyrics are more graphic, violent and gory. Artists like Necro, his group Non-Phixion, and his brother Ill Bill fit into the Horrorcore category.

Bay Area Club Hip Hop - this refers to what is now known as hyphy but has recently become more commercial and therefore has drifted from the hip hop scene a bit, but artists such as Mac Dre and Digital Underground fit here. It is not an official term, but the movement was big in the early 90's and deserves mention.

Miami Bass - this style is often criticized in hip hop circles and left out of the category of hip hop by purists, but for the sake of avoiding arguments it is being listed. The main group known for this style was 2 Live Crew.

Midwest/Fast Rap - this style is primarily rooted in cities like Cleveland and Chicago and was predated by the Treacherous Three (Kool Moe Dee's group). Artists who exemplify this style include Bone Thugs and Harmony, Busdriver, Twista, etc.

Screwed - style from Houston invented by the late DJ Screw that mimicked the feeling of hallucinating on codeine cough syrup, a drug that would later kill him.

Turntablism/Instrumental hip hop - style of hip hop that involved no rapping, and often (in the case of turntablism) heavy scratching, sampling and other styles created by the use of two turntables. Artists include DJ Shadow, DJ QBert, RJD2, etc.

UK Hip Hop - these hip hop artists have their own unique style, though it is reminiscent of NY hip hop, only with an accent.

Grime - some grime is frowned upon like more recent work from Dizzee Rascal, but Grime is still considered a part of hip hop.

Experimental - any style of hip hop that can't be lumped together into a category except maybe Abstract hip hop which it often coincides with. Such artists include Aesop Rock, El-P, Buck 65, cLOUDDEAD, Sage Francis, Saul Williams, etc.

By location:

This runs hand in hand with stylistic categorization:

East Coast - artists from NY, Massachusetts, New Jersey, etc.

West Coast - artists from California, Washington, etc.

Midwest - artists from Michigan, Illinois, Kansas, etc.

South - artists from Lousiana, Georgia, Florida, Texas, etc.

Canada - artists from Canada

UK - Artists from Great Brittain

New Zealand - artists from New Zealand

Australia - Artists from Australia

Chronologically:

Coincides with location and style:

Early hip hop: 1973 - 1979

Old school - 1979 - 1986

Golden Age - 1986 - 1994

New school - 1994 - Present

*IF I MISSED ANYTHING PLEASE LET ME KNOW

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

El_Matador Date: Monday, 12/Oct/09, 1:33 PM | Message # 46

Heads
Quote (8Diagrams)
Sodr I thought you are a DOOM fan %)

only Ill and Erik are Doom's fan right here I guess. lol

MENACE 2 JOKER: Go back to Mexico you damn spic
JOKER 2 MENACE: Shut up you fake nigga your a damn sand nigger not a full nigger

Chinita Date: Wednesday, 09/Dec/09, 11:26 PM | Message # 47

Heads
Quote (El_Matador)
only Ill and Erik are Doom's fan right here I guess. lol

i like doom also

Forum » Real HIP HOP Forever » Hip Hop History/Knowledge » Categorize Your Tastes In Hip Hop Music
Search: