[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: Aristotle, s0dr2  
Forum » Real HIP HOP Forever » Hip Hop News » Old Hip Hop News/Articles/Clippings ect. (blogs, flyers etc..classics)
Old Hip Hop News/Articles/Clippings ect.
Chinita Date: Saturday, 25/Apr/09, 2:17 PM | Message # 1

Heads
If you find any old hip hop articles, news, blogs, flyers place them in here..

i found this old news article, its interesting..

Hip Hop News
August 7 '98

SPECIAL ED SUES NYPD

According to a recent edition of Lee Bailey's EUR Report, Special Ed-the man who brought us the classic 'I Got It Made' is dropping a law suit on the New York City Police Department. Apparently Special Ed wouldn't let officers chase a suspected drug dealer through his yard. The rapper claims that undercover police appeared at his Brooklyn home and wanted to use his yard to chase some drug dealers they were pursuing.. When Special Ed refused he was verbally harassed. After the pursuit, the officer returned to his home and proceeded to beat down Ed and his older brother..

Now that's foul.. Let's hope that Ed 'gets it made' and gets a whole chunk of change from NYPD... Just a side note I wanna thank EUR for confirming that Lauryn Hill will indeed be having a second child.. It's due sometime in October..

written by
Davey D
c1998

Chinita Date: Saturday, 25/Apr/09, 2:22 PM | Message # 2

Heads
August 4th 1998

IS THE HIP HOP MEDIA DOING A GOOD JOB?

The media can really set off a lot of ill will within hip hop.. Remember a lot of folks thought that the NWA feud involving Ice Cube, Above The Law and the remaining members was fueled by the media. A lot of folks thought the East/West coast drama was inspired by the hip hop media.. Should we ask be asking some long hard questions if an artist like Eminen shows up on the front page of someone's magazine cover while Ras Kass doesn't??? Should we wonder why the Beasty Boys got a cover on Rolling Stone while Tribe Called Quest or Public Enemy didn't??? And since we're on the subject when was the last time we saw any Latin or Asian hip hoppers gracing the covers of any of our hip hop publications??? Well I know Big Pun has been making the rounds lately.. But before then Fat Joe hardly was hardly ever showcased.. I'm not pointing fingers.. I'm just asking questions..Is these examples of media bias based upon race?

My question to everyone is what are your feelings on the media's coverage of hip hop.. We already know the mainstream media is gonna have a messed up bias.. But is the hip hop media doing the job? Are they balanced with their coverage? Are they too sensational? Have they been lacking? What are the wack Hip Hop publications and what are the good ones and why? I know in the very beginning a lot of publications had an obvious East Coast bias.. Now things seem to be a bit more balanced.. Unfortunately a lot of folks feel that some of the larger publications are way too commercial with all the fashion and car ads etc.. Are there any hard hitting journalistic hip hop publications that really dig deep or have these publications become mouthpieces for the record label ads they display? I guess I will make this an extended Top Ten Poll Question....

WHAT ARE THE GOOD HIP HOP PUBLICATIONS AND WHY?
WHAT ARE THE WACK HIP HOP PUBLICATIONS AND WHY?

Chinita Date: Saturday, 25/Apr/09, 2:27 PM | Message # 3

Heads
Hip Hop Now Has A Unity Flag
1996 news article

Earlier this summer a flag symbolizing the values of the Hip Hop Nation was officially revealed here in San Francisco. The Hip Hop Unity Flag is the brain child of community activist James P Queen who is the President of Racial Unity Inc. The flag features the colors of our human family: Black, Brown, Red, Yellow and White.. Unlike most flags whose stripes are laid horizontally the Hip Hop Generation-Unity Flag's stripes stand vertical/ side by side.. The significance of this is to show equality.. because no color is above the other.. In short the flag stands for unity..

The flag was officially adopted by KMEL Radio and was featured prominently during it's mega-summer jam concert.. All the t-shirts, key chains and huge stage designs as well as it's Summer Jam program booklet featured the Unity Flag...During the press conference when the flag was officially unveiled, Def Jam CEO Russell Simmons , MC Hammer and Sway of the internationally syndicated Hip Hop Wake Up Show came out in support of the flag and it's message of Unity.. Ice Cube was scheduled to appear as well and also officially endorse the flag but his filming schedule ran into conflict with unveiling..

Earlier this year the flag was introduced to San Francisco Mayor Willie Brown during the Mayor's Conference.. Not only did he adopt the flag.. but so did the other Mayors... It was also used as a rallying symbol during last June's huge Peace Walkathon. The Jungle Brothers were on hand and performed during that rally with the flag as a backdrop. There are plans to introduce the flag to President Clinton.. later this year. As for the organization Racial Unity.. There are plans in the works for a huge conference on race relations.. It's scheduled to take place sometime next year...

Chinita Date: Saturday, 25/Apr/09, 2:33 PM | Message # 4

Heads
this must have been one hell of a skating night..its to bad they closed down that skating rink..skating was such a big thing back then, it was more like a night club smile

Forum » Real HIP HOP Forever » Hip Hop News » Old Hip Hop News/Articles/Clippings ect. (blogs, flyers etc..classics)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: