[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: Aristotle, s0dr2  
Forum » Real HIP HOP Forever » Hip Hop News » Hip-Hop's Founding Father Kool Herc Hospitalized ((Headline Cont.)In Need Of Financial Assistance)
Hip-Hop's Founding Father Kool Herc Hospitalized
abanks47 Date: Sunday, 30/Jan/11, 2:52 PM | Message # 1

Emcees
Hip-Hop's Founding Father Kool Herc Hospitalized, In Need Of Financial Assistance

Hip-Hop pioneer DJ Kool Herc is currently in the hospital suffering from an unknown health condition.

According to Gangstarr's DJ Premier, Kool Herc's health is deteriorating and he is in need of financial assistance, because he reportedly doesn't have health insurance.

"Kool Herc is very sick," DJ Premier revealed on his XM Satellite radio show Live From Headqcourterz. "For those that know about Hip-Hop, who we call the father of Hip-Hop, Kool Herc, is not doing well. It's funny how we have a father of a culture that still lives, where as in some cultures they are dead and gone even though they may still be worshipped or reflected on in some kind of way."

According to DJ Premier, he spoke to Herc, who revealed that he was in need of financial assistance because he didn't have medical coverage.

Kool Herc, 55, is recognized by music historians as the Founding Father of Hip-Hop for his style of "Break" DJ'ing, which isolates the rhythm of a particular portion of a record.

He is credited for laying the foundation for the most popular genre of music in the world, after a party he hosted at 1520 Sedgwick Avenue, in the South Bronx.

DJ Kool Herc is also a community activist who led a multi-year effort to prevent the sale of 1520 Sedgwick to greedy real estate speculators.

In September of 2010, the building received a $5.6 million dollar federal loan that halted the sale of the building, allowing hundreds of tenants to keep their homes.

Additionally, the building has officially been recognized as the place Hip-Hop music during the party, which took place on August 11th, 1973.

"Being as though he is the man that set this whole culture off, y'all [the fans] should be willing any type of way you can."

Hope all will be well for the man.

A WELL DRESSED SKELETON SLOWLY CUTS YOUR THROAT.

"I Have No Fear Whatsoever of Anybody or Anything" -Malcolm X

“those who consider themselves the most adamant adherents of “real” hip-hop can also be the least knowledgeable.” –Adilifu Nama; an excert from his perception of Nas’s “Genesis”

Menace Date: Sunday, 30/Jan/11, 4:00 PM | Message # 2

Heads
anyone who loves hip hop should help him

abanks47 Date: Sunday, 30/Jan/11, 4:02 PM | Message # 3

Emcees
word. I would honestly donate if they give a link to a fund

A WELL DRESSED SKELETON SLOWLY CUTS YOUR THROAT.

"I Have No Fear Whatsoever of Anybody or Anything" -Malcolm X

“those who consider themselves the most adamant adherents of “real” hip-hop can also be the least knowledgeable.” –Adilifu Nama; an excert from his perception of Nas’s “Genesis”

Greeny Date: Sunday, 30/Jan/11, 7:53 PM | Message # 4

OGs
We should all chip in..

:)
Chinita Date: Sunday, 30/Jan/11, 7:59 PM | Message # 5

Heads
update: he's not in the hospital, he's in good spirits but in need of surgery and has no insurance..this was said to have come from kool herc himself through a phone call with tony touch.....

according to some...For all donations for Kool Herc....send to: Kool Herc Production PO Box 20472 Huntington Station, NY 11746
THIS TUESDAY at the "SUTRA Lounge in NYC" Tony Touch will do a collection for him as well but until we know 4 sure or i find out more..don't donate anything to that address..

ilikebacon3000 Date: Sunday, 30/Jan/11, 8:15 PM | Message # 6

Emcees
Might donate 10 or 20 bucks if I'm able to withdraw from my account this week.

Life's a bitch and I'm just along for the ride.
Greeny Date: Sunday, 30/Jan/11, 11:51 PM | Message # 7

OGs
Was hoping I could do it over the web.. I'm on the other side of the ocean, and people tend to think that our currency is monopoly money. I guess I'll send it if there's no way I can donate through the internet..

:)
Chinita Date: Monday, 31/Jan/11, 2:50 PM | Message # 8

Heads
u can now greeny..through paypal..

You can send donations to:

KOOL HERC PRODUCTIONS
P.O. BOX 20472
HUNTINGTON STATION , NY 11746

or you can send donations via paypal to Kool Herc's sister Cindy to address: cindycampbell1@aol.com

eboyd Date: Monday, 31/Jan/11, 11:48 PM | Message # 9

Heads
damn, i'll see if i can do anything. problem is i don't have a job and so i rely on my parents' money and i doubt they'll let me :(

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Chinita Date: Tuesday, 01/Feb/11, 8:56 AM | Message # 10

Heads
dam this is why.. i usually like to wait for more info or the right sources before i post news like this on the mainpage, i waited a day but still not good enough..

he was not seriously ill but story goes like this, he was in alot of pain from kidney stones but is home now "recovering" from surgery" taking pain killers, the part about no insurance, trouble paying for the bills is true..the whole story was supposed to be posted today in the new york times according to d-stroy (arsonist) good friend of crazy legs and premier..here is what the article is suppose to say http://www.facebook.com/notes....8319753

here is the story but then again..i dont know if this really is in the new york times..have not checked

Although the blogosphere lighted up over the weekend with alarming but vague reports that he was facing “a very serious illness” and “broke,” he is actually at home and grappling with the aftermath of surgery for kidney stones.
His lack of medical insurance, however, is quite real, despite his status as a living legend who helped create a cultural form that became a global – and lucrative – force.
Herc, born Clive Campbell, is the latest hip-hop pioneer for whom an otherwise routine medical issue morphed into a financial crisis for lack of insurance.
“This is just a disgrace that Kool Herc has to negotiate over the details of his health care,” said Bill Adler, a former executive with Def Jam Records and a historian of the genre. “People who are not performers think that the musicians they love have a big house, lots of cars and more money than they’ll ever know. The reality is that the majority of people who choose a life in the arts make a tough economic choice. They’re almost choosing voluntary poverty.”
Herc’s sister, Cindy Campbell, said that her brother sought treatment at St. Barnabas Hospital in the Bronx in October for kidney stones. As part of the procedure, a stent was temporarily inserted to alleviate the pressure. She said that Herc had to reschedule several appointments to remove the stent due to bad weather and not feeling well. She said the last time he spoke with the hospital, a little over a week ago, he was told that he needed to place a deposit.
“He told me he asked them to give him a figure,” she said. “But nobody has given him any solid information.”
Steven Clark, a spokesman for the hospital, said that privacy rules prevented him from commenting on the specific case. He said that, in general, the hospital would not refuse an uninsured patient in the emergency room, and that follow-up procedures would also be performed.
“But if a patient doesn’t show up, or repeatedly misses appointments, that changes the game,” he said. “They can’t dictate their care.”
A medical professional who often works with uninsured patients at St. Barnabas and other Bronx hospitals said that in those cases, the hospital might ask for a deposit and set up a reduced-fee schedule to ensure that the patient showed up for treatment.
Fans, promoters and D.J.’s have rallied to Herc’s side, vowing to raise funds to help him pay his bills. In the meantime, Ms. Campbell said, her brother was at home and taking painkillers to alleviate the discomfort.
The larger issue, she said, was how Herc’s generation of graying rappers and D.J.’s would cope with the medical issues bound to come their way. Just as she and her brother rallied to save the Bronx building where her brother’s famed parties gave birth to hip-hop, she saw this latest trial as a way of being of service to the larger community.
“There isn’t any type of medical program for these artists,” she said. “Maybe it takes a visible person like Herc for people to pay attention. Maybe we can help set something up. My brother and I were trailblazers. We tried to save the building. Now we’re going to advocate for plenty of other artists and have a program to assist them.”

Chinita Date: Tuesday, 01/Feb/11, 9:11 AM | Message # 11

Heads
found the story, nytimes
http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2011....-272483

Forum » Real HIP HOP Forever » Hip Hop News » Hip-Hop's Founding Father Kool Herc Hospitalized ((Headline Cont.)In Need Of Financial Assistance)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: