[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: TheWatcher, Menace, I_Guy, Aristotle  
Forum » Knowledge » Religious/Philosophical Debate » Delusion a Good Thing?
Delusion a Good Thing?
EmSeeD Date: Monday, 10/Jan/11, 6:03 AM | Message # 1

Heads
sometimes i see good things religion has done for people, the belief in a god has really turned around a lot of lives, whether or not the god is actually real you can't deny the belief in this god has actually helped some people, even if you think religion is delusional its still changed peoples lives, because the even if you think the god is fake, the belief in the god is real. so i'm wondering, can a delusion actually be good for people? many athiests say there is no truth but a relative perception so does a belief in a god real or not actually make the god real for a religious person?

an example is the homeless dude with the golden voice, he was a druggy until two years ago he converted to christianity which motivated him to get off drugs and get clean, if it wasn't for religion this dude would probably still be a druggy/alcoholic on the streets

another example i see in my country is with pacific islanders, obsesity is a problem among polynesians and church is a big part of their life, churches run many programes and one thats become really popular is this polynesian version of zumba lol, anyway i was thinking to myself, well if it wasn't for the church they would never be doing these programs so perhaps this is one rare time where religion actually benefits people, then as an athiest i was thinking does that mean dilussions can actually be good for us and we might need it?

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
eboyd Date: Monday, 10/Jan/11, 6:53 AM | Message # 2

Heads
i personally actually think belief in God creates more good than bad. i simply see it as unnecessary for myself. i have utmost respect even for organized religion, i just don't respect the people making money off of it. delusions are fine, i just don't need them personally.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Erratic-Methodz Date: Monday, 10/Jan/11, 11:00 AM | Message # 3

Beatboxers
Quote (eboyd)
i just don't respect the people making money off of it.

Agreed brother. I think it's wrongfor a church or a religion to "con" people,
As a jew living in an all christian and muslim commuinty i get a lot of "hatered"
from these people

i see these things everyday such as
"give to the church...and all your problems will fly away" or my personal favorite "The gide to true happiness
with come if you donate to this church"

these may be what the christian religion is doing..But here the muslim community are just the same
but there messages are normally subliminal. i don't have a grudge againt's muslims i have so many muslim
friends i just don't like how they have messages that apply the jews planned 9/11 like a sign i seen in para.

sorry iv been drinking so this may sound "arogant"

eboyd Date: Monday, 10/Jan/11, 3:04 PM | Message # 4

Heads
Quote (Erratic-Methodz)
Agreed brother. I think it's wrongfor a church or a religion to "con" people,
As a jew living in an all christian and muslim commuinty i get a lot of "hatered"
from these people
i see these things everyday such as
"give to the church...and all your problems will fly away" or my personal favorite "The gide to true happiness
with come if you donate to this church"

these may be what the christian religion is doing..But here the muslim community are just the same
but there messages are normally subliminal. i don't have a grudge againt's muslims i have so many muslim
friends i just don't like how they have messages that apply the jews planned 9/11 like a sign i seen in para.

sorry iv been drinking so this may sound "arogant"

haha, nah man, you're fine. i agree with you 100%

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Adam Date: Wednesday, 12/Jan/11, 8:23 PM | Message # 5

B-Girls
just fyi that homeless guy that got rich over youtube for his voice is now in rehab for drinking problems.

I JUST EXPLODED INTO RAINBOWS AND LOLLIPOPS!
sht Date: Friday, 28/Jan/11, 7:43 AM | Message # 6

Writers
i think it would be better if people performed good actions without the religious subtext, if it takes religion to make people act this way then i guess it makes a positive thing but it would be a lot better if society was taught to act this way off of its own back. religion may help people on an individual level but i think it holds us back as a race on so many levels, better to create human ideals to live by then a gods. putting faith in a higher power is just insuslting your own ability really..

ill it & root for the villain
Menace Date: Friday, 28/Jan/11, 6:09 PM | Message # 7

Heads
Quote (sht)
i think it would be better if people performed good actions without the religious subtext, if it takes religion to make people act this way then i guess it makes a positive thing but it would be a lot better if society was taught to act this way off of its own back. religion may help people on an individual level but i think it holds us back as a race on so many levels, better to create human ideals to live by then a gods. putting faith in a higher power is just insuslting your own ability really..

exactly

ilikebacon3000 Date: Saturday, 05/Feb/11, 5:21 AM | Message # 8

Emcees
i personally think (at least in the states) that people are simply too dumb and too busy with stupid shit (like day to day shit that doesn't really matter) to live morally without religion, simple as that.

i don't need religion to know right from wrong, but i know some people would live morally "bad" lives if they didn't have consequences to fear, and religion definitley brings that to the table.

so as long as they don't bother me, let them be. seems positive. but the second they start hurting people (whether they are muslim, christian, whatever), either find a way to get them to stop, isolate the group of people, or simply kill them off (along with the idea).

Life's a bitch and I'm just along for the ride.
Menace Date: Tuesday, 08/Mar/11, 8:20 PM | Message # 9

Heads
Your an Emo

Forum » Knowledge » Religious/Philosophical Debate » Delusion a Good Thing?
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: