[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: El_Matador, ThaScience, s0dr2  
Forum » Knowledge » Politics/Economics » Bombing at church nothing new but take a read (.)
Bombing at church nothing new but take a read
Erratic-Methodz Date: Friday, 07/Jan/11, 8:26 AM | Message # 1

Beatboxers
For those of you who don’t know, an alleged suicide bomber (witnesses argue it was a car bomb) drove in front of a church housing over 1000 people during a midnight mass on the 1st of January in Egypt. 21 people were killed, 97 injured and body parts scattered all over the street.

I have never received as many, tweets, texts, emails and messages through my various social networking sites regarding the persecution of the indigenous Egyptians than I have about the New Years Eve suicide bombings at the Coptic church in Alexandria. This to me alone indicates two things; both the pain our community is feeling on a global level and that the Coptic community from within the homeland of Egypt finally feel they have enough global support to make serious noise about the persecution they’re experiencing.

As a Coptic living in Australia, trying to keep up with the news and progress of events in Egypt has not been easy. Don’t get me wrong, a quick Google search brings up hundreds of results – however unbiased sources are few and far between. Even the extensive coverage by the mass media (CNN, BBC, Sky, etc) appears to have contradicting and skewed stories. Regardless, the Egyptian Government are again portraying these attacks as attacks on “Egypt” from Al Qaeda rather than specific attacks on Coptic Christians. i.e. that these attacks targeted both Muslims and Christians – which is obviously rubbish.

I’ve also read that witnesses claimed government security forces around the church more than halved in number an hour before the bombings – whether this is true or hearsay, the undisputed facts are that there was a bombing on NYE, Christians were targeted and the government is either doing a fantastic job at covering up the seriousness of the religious tension in Egypt or the mass media are happily buying what they are selling.

Regardless of where you look, the religious tension has clearly escalated since the Christmas eve shootings outside the church in Cairo when I was in Egypt last year. My biggest regret is that because I have been on tour promoting the forthcoming EP I have not been able to take part in the prayers and protests organized throughout Sydney this week. US President Obama has come out and said “this attack was clearly targeting Christian worshippers” and “They must be brought to justice” yet we have not heard a peep from Julia Gillard, Prime Minister of our country, where many of our citizens have had families directly affected as well as the broader Coptic Community now being subject to increased threats on Coptic churches within Australia.

With God’s help I hope we can stay strong and courageous as a community globally. I truly hope that the natural feeling of fear resulting from these attacks doesn’t impact upon our proud traditions both here in Australia, in Egypt, and across the rest of the world. It is my belief that if these Islam extremists successfully change who we are as Coptics (more than they already have) that would be a bigger victory for their cause then any number of deaths caused by these attacks

eboyd Date: Friday, 07/Jan/11, 4:48 PM | Message # 2

Heads
i haven't read enough on this topic to have an unbiased opinion, but i will say that if it is as you say, i support your cause. Islamic EXTREMISTS are a big problem in the Middle East, but on the flip side of that token, albeit to a lesser extent, Christian and Jewish fundamentalists create a serious problem elsewhere in the world. for example, it is the Muslim world that is persecuted in the country of Palestine and has been since 1948 when the State of Israel was established. my point in this comment, however, is not to divert the discussion to unrelated issues, but rather to see if you are supporting Christian struggles against oppression but turning a blind eye to the struggles of the Muslims who are being persecuted in the world as well in order to blame the Muslims for everything. i wonder this only because this is such a common attitude in the US and this attitude is a far bigger injustice than Muslim extremists attitudes towards Christians in the Middle East. and to respond that this attitude does not kill is completely false. the murder of innocent Muslims by the Christian world has occurred on a far more strategic basis and has actually been far more effective.

as an atheist myself, while i see religion as irrational, i still have utmost respect for all religions as long as the person practicing it is not using it as a mouthpiece to spew hate and persecute specific demographics of people. what the Muslim extremists in the Middle East do goes beyond hate and for that i loathe them. what Christian fundamentalists do when they go to abortion clinics and murder innocent doctors goes beyond hate and i loathe them as well. but the reality is that the majority of people that practice both of these religions, as well as all other religions, are good people and shouldn't be persecuted or subject to hatred.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Menace Date: Friday, 07/Jan/11, 6:12 PM | Message # 3

Heads
Cry me a river, if Egypt was a true secular society such things wouldn't occur. This is not the first time the Muslim Brotherhood ( we all know its them, Al Qaeda my ass ) terrorized Egypt, what makes the bombings shocking for so many abroad is the bombing of a Christian church. Nobody talks about the Mubarak dictatorship there about the persecution of basic freedoms, nobody talks about the economic situation in Egypt, these terrorists are not new in Egypt they killed Muslims, Christians etc. These terrorists are the reaction to the miserable situation there and the west is turning a blind eye supporting Mubarak. My dad left Egypt because he saw how Sadat and his clique is turning Egypt into a dictatorship not because he was persecuted by Muslims. So i am personally not impressed by this.

Erratic-Methodz Date: Friday, 07/Jan/11, 7:06 PM | Message # 4

Beatboxers
Each too there own brother i get what you are saying...

It wasn't us who wrote this it comes from a coptic speaking his mind about the subject.
both myself as well as Charlie (Eratik) are both Italian's, we wanted too post this because
we liked that someone from the coptic religion gave there own opinion on this matter.

eboyd Date: Friday, 07/Jan/11, 10:13 PM | Message # 5

Heads
Quote (Erratic-Methodz)
Each too there own brother i get what you are saying...
It wasn't us who wrote this it comes from a coptic speaking his mind about the subject.
both myself as well as Charlie (Eratik) are both Italian's, we wanted too post this because
we liked that someone from the coptic religion gave there own opinion on this matter.

no doubt. all opinions are welcome here and that's what makes hip hop beautiful but all opinions are also open to scrutiny.

thank you for posting something from someone freely speaking his mind, but i wish to hear your personal opinion on the matter.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Erratic-Methodz Date: Friday, 07/Jan/11, 10:43 PM | Message # 6

Beatboxers
Well i do not have an opinion as strong as the one i posted or the one posted by menace
even your post.

witch the reason i didn't use my own opinion,

that been said I'm an Italian jew living in a community full of muslims as well as christians
who have each giving there own opinion on this i enjoyed each and everyone off them
what i found most interesting was that all though most people had not agreed with what had happen
they seem too still agree that these act are not "in the name of god" lifes been lost by people not understanding
religion and what other ethenic groups do as a part of there culture.

If you would like too maybe listen too a song by the man behind this subject "Luke Girgis"
you can do so by looking at "burn churches" by coptic soldier ft mac lethal

This song shows are good point on religion and has a good message behide it the song
is a personal favorite of mine.

eboyd Date: Friday, 07/Jan/11, 10:54 PM | Message # 7

Heads
no doubt, i'll check that out. yeah, i like that you post opinions just to open dialog. it's a good way to get a discussion going. i'm a follower of Noam Chomsky who is a staunch supporter of free speech to the point that he signed a petition to ensure that a book about Holocaust denial wouldn't be censored and while he is an atheist now, he was born and raised in the Jewish community and is unmistakably Jewish. i mention this because it is sort of in line with what you are doing.

thanks for the article. hopefully more people come in here and get involved with the discussion.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Menace Date: Saturday, 08/Jan/11, 8:09 AM | Message # 8

Heads
I came straightforward like that because i personally have a history with Egypt, many here know my past and my family and my dad's involvement in Egyptian politics. Sorry if i offended but its a sentimental thing i hope you guys understand.

Forum » Knowledge » Politics/Economics » Bombing at church nothing new but take a read (.)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: