Greeny Date: Thursday, 21/Apr/11, 10:48 PM | Message # 16

OGs
The article: "Al Gore is a "total fag""

I want to see her say that so bad!

:)
eboyd Date: Saturday, 23/Apr/11, 4:13 AM | Message # 17

Heads
Quote (Greeny)
Is it offensive to believe that all atheists will suffer a terrible fate? I hate when people take offense to that.

if i told you that i believed you were going to be brutally murdered after being tortured horrifically and that such treatment was justified because you're a Christian, would you not take offense?

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Greeny Date: Saturday, 23/Apr/11, 2:24 PM | Message # 18

OGs
Quote (eboyd)
if i told you that i believed you were going to be brutally murdered after being tortured horrifically and that such treatment was justified because you're a Christian, would you not take offense?

If I understood why, then really, no. According to most christian belief, I would go to hell. I don't take offense, that is their reality, they didn't create it, neither do they need to like it, they just acknowledge it.
I'm raised baptist, but I'm not a practising christian.

Menace Date: Saturday, 23/Apr/11, 3:05 PM | Message # 19

Heads
There is no rationality behind such prejudice, because is prejudice to pre judge someone like that, so Greeny for you these guys are ok no? everyone knows the Westboro Baptist Church and their hate mongering , well Greeny hate mongering and HATE SPEECH is not free speech, civilization can't function with such people, these are the Taliban of the West people like Ann Coulter and Fred Phelps. We keep judging the theocratic and Islamic Fundamentalists but if people like Ann Coulter and Phelps were in charge the US would be the same as Saudi Arabia or Iran. ;) Same shit, different assholes. Different religions, same fundamentalists

Greeny Date: Saturday, 23/Apr/11, 7:56 PM | Message # 20

OGs
There need to be boundaries. Religion and politics need to be separated, because religion shouldn't be practised on nations.
What I'm saying is that it's not hateful to believe someone will suffer a terrible fate, and to think of it as justice isn't the same as wishing for it to happen.

That crazy old man isn't okay, no. Neither is Ann. Not because they're christians though.
There's no point in thanking god for justice, there's nothing good about justice.

We will all die, because we're mortal, it's reality, and it is to remain balance (or it is justice, applied to christian belief) but it isn't good. You don't want people to die, but you realize they will. If there was a way to be gain immortality, you would tell those who aren't that they will die, because they choose not to get this immortality, but you still don't wish for them to die.

There are things in christianity that are very good, e.g. feeling of safety, but there are things that are bad, e.g. lack of respect for this life.

eboyd Date: Saturday, 23/Apr/11, 8:35 PM | Message # 21

Heads
Quote (Greeny)
If I understood why, then really, no. According to most christian belief, I would go to hell. I don't take offense, that is their reality, they didn't create it, neither do they need to like it, they just acknowledge it.
I'm raised baptist, but I'm not a practising christian.

Quote (Greeny)
What I'm saying is that it's not hateful to believe someone will suffer a terrible fate, and to think of it as justice isn't the same as wishing for it to happen.

almost all Christians believe all atheists deserve to suffer the most horrible fate possible for eternity just because they do not believe in God. how is that justice, and furthermore, how is that any different from wishing it to happen???

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Menace Date: Saturday, 23/Apr/11, 8:41 PM | Message # 22

Heads
Quote (Greeny)
There need to be boundaries. Religion and politics need to be separated, because religion shouldn't be practised on nations.

That crazy old man isn't okay, no. Neither is Ann. Not because they're christians though.
There's no point in thanking god for justice, there's nothing good about justice.

We will all die, because we're mortal, it's reality, and it is to remain balance (or it is justice, applied to christian belief) but it isn't good. You don't want people to die, but you realize they will. If there was a way to be gain immortality, you would tell those who aren't that they will die, because they choose not to get this immortality, but you still don't wish for them to die.

There are things in christianity that are very good, e.g. feeling of safety, but there are things that are bad, e.g. lack of respect for this life.

You can rationalize it all you want, the bottom line is that bigotry and ignorance are not virtues regardless of your political/religious affiliation, you were agreeing with me when i was saying the same thing to J Breakz, because he did the same thing as these guys, the only difference is that his bigotry and prejudice is secular not religious. Catch my drift? doesn't matter when you die or who you are just don't be a bigoted asshole ;)

Adam Date: Saturday, 23/Apr/11, 8:42 PM | Message # 23

B-Girls
I'm not a bigoted asshole!!! Just an asshole :D

I JUST EXPLODED INTO RAINBOWS AND LOLLIPOPS!
Greeny Date: Saturday, 23/Apr/11, 8:57 PM | Message # 24

OGs
Quote (eboyd)
almost all Christians believe all atheists deserve to suffer the most horrible fate possible for eternity just because they do not believe in God. how is that justice, and furthermore, how is that any different from wishing it to happen???

Isn't that what I said? To deserve it means that it grants justice. I don't think justice is what everybody is striving for.
If you don't follow christian/jewish ethics, you deserve punishment. Christ is a way around it. (Note that the bible might contradict itself here, jews get to go to heaven, yet all humans are born sinners. But if it's some sort of prophecy, then it says no human can avoid sinning, and it's not contradictory anymore.) If you're a sinner, and you don't pray for forgiveness, you deserve the punishment, which will await you after death. There is a difference in believing this and wishing for this. Don't you agree in this?

Added (23/Apr/11, 8:57 PM)
---------------------------------------------
Are christians bigots though?

eboyd Date: Saturday, 23/Apr/11, 8:59 PM | Message # 25

Heads
Quote (Greeny)
Isn't that what I said? To deserve it means that it grants justice. I don't think justice is what everybody is striving for.
If you don't follow christian/jewish ethics, you deserve punishment. Christ is a way around it. (Note that the bible might contradict itself here, jews get to go to heaven, yet all humans are born sinners. But if it's some sort of prophecy, then it says no human can avoid sinning, and it's not contradictory anymore.) If you're a sinner, and you don't pray for forgiveness, you deserve the punishment, which will await you after death. There is a difference in believing this and wishing for this. Don't you agree in this?

yes, but Christians don't just believe atheists are going to hell, they believe in it and, without repent, feel that we deserve it just because we don't believe in their God. this is barely different, if different at all, from wishing such a horrible fate on that person.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

eboyd Date: Saturday, 23/Apr/11, 9:01 PM | Message # 26

Heads
Quote (Greeny)
Are christians bigots though?

only those that believe i deserve eternal punishment merely for my beliefs (which, unfortunately, is the majority).

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Greeny Date: Saturday, 23/Apr/11, 9:16 PM | Message # 27

OGs
I'm not sure if you try to emphasize a difference between knowing you deserve this or feeling you deserve this.. They know you broke the rules, and they know the consequences. No repent? Why? Christians can be sorry that atheist will go to hell. Isn't that why they give your drunken ass flyers when you're out?

To know, in this case, is to be very convinced of.

Added (23/Apr/11, 9:07 PM)

Quote (Greeny)
Isn't that why they give your drunken ass flyers when you're out?

This isn't directed to you personally btw.

Added (23/Apr/11, 9:16 PM)

Quote (eboyd)
only those that believe i deserve eternal punishment merely for my beliefs (which, unfortunately, is the majority).

That is all christians.. I'm not sure though if christians are bigoted though. Haven't really processed this thoroughly. :P

Christianity has a cheap moral system. "You have to follow these rules!" and to make sure they do "you'll go to hell if you don't". And to ensure they don't give up when they break the rules "repent your sins".

If the rules are good, there shouldn't be that big a problem, as long as they leave the punishment up to god, and just live their life. It's not a rational way of life, but shouldn't people be allowed to believe in god if that makes them happy?

eboyd Date: Sunday, 24/Apr/11, 2:14 AM | Message # 28

Heads
Quote (Greeny)
I'm not sure if you try to emphasize a difference between knowing you deserve this or feeling you deserve this..

what does it matter? one shows that the person is 100% confident that i should burn in hell (likely simply because their God tells them that it is so) and the other is the same thing but with some doubt. regardless of why they believe it, they believe it.

Quote (Greeny)
They know you broke the rules, and they know the consequences. No repent? Why? Christians can be sorry that atheist will go to hell. Isn't that why they give your drunken ass flyers when you're out?

basically they are giving us two options: change our beliefs or burn in hell. the option of "change your belief" makes it sound like they are being more understanding, but think about it. what if i said "become an atheist or you will burn for eternity, and i believe that you deserve it"? you probably would take offense.

Quote (Greeny)
That is all christians..

there are some factions of Christianity, though very small, that do not believe in hell.

Quote (Greeny)
It's not a rational way of life, but shouldn't people be allowed to believe in god if that makes them happy?

not everyone who believes in God believes in a concept of hell or punishment for people who don't believe. a few factions of Christianity denounce hell, as mentioned above, in Islam, atheists and others who denounce religion may be accepted into heaven if they live a good life, deists don't believe in heaven, etc.

also, i'm not saying that i wish people would stop being Christians. i am simply saying that i take offense at the Christian assertion that i am going to hell simply because i'm and atheist. and they are arguably even more bigoted towards other religions, especially Islam.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Menace Date: Sunday, 24/Apr/11, 10:27 AM | Message # 29

Heads
bla bla bla rationalize all you want, i just told the whole thing in my last comment clearly. Religion has the privilege to be prejudice and bigoted because its religion, while people like Richard Dawkins call religion on this, religious people get their panties in a bunch. You can rationalize it all you want, i don't have the right to call religion delusional and psychotic but religion has the right to be bigoted and prejudice. Religion has too many privileges, in the case of Westboro Baptist Church they recently won a case that allows them to picket dead soldiers funerals so they can spew intolerant shit at the dead mans family. Just fuck it, i congratulate France and its strongly secular policies, they don't allow women to wear hijabs ( veils that Muslim women wear on their heads) in public spaces. If you want religion stay in your Mosques, Churches and Temples, we live in a civil, multicultural and most importantly SECULAR society.

Greeny Date: Sunday, 24/Apr/11, 3:21 PM | Message # 30

OGs
Quote (Menace)
i don't have the right to call religion delusional and psychotic but religion has the right to be bigoted and prejudice.

Of course you do have the right to do so. But if you do that you're on the same level as religious people.

Quote (Menace)
Religion has too many privileges

I agree.

Quote (Menace)
Westboro Baptist Church they recently won a case that allows them to picket dead soldiers funerals so they can spew intolerant shit at the dead mans family.

ok.

Quote (Menace)
they don't allow women to wear hijabs

I haven't made my mind what I think about this yet... Frankly I don't know enough about what islamic women think of this in general.

Quote (Menace)
most importantly SECULAR society.

People should be allowed to believe whatever to make them feel better. In biology we trick our bodies in order to get better, we can do the same thing to our mind, as long as it doesn't get out of hand. A fuckton of people's life quality would drop a whole lot if we'd burst their bubble.

Quote (Menace)
you were agreeing with me when i was saying the same thing to J Breakz, because he did the same thing as these guys, the only difference is that his bigotry and prejudice is secular not religious

You can't discuss religion in the same way you discuss politics. Politics governs this society, religion gives individuals peace.

I've lost track of what we're talking about.
Is it offensive to say christians are perfected jews? Yes, but if she'd chosen her words better, it wouldn't be. People get hung on "perfected".
Is it offensive to believe in hell? If you believe god is just and you think justice is good, yes, otherwise, I think not.
Is religion bad for society? Religion can be a virtue if used correctly, just like poison and ionized radiation. In current practice, mainly yes.

Forum » Knowledge » Politics/Economics » Cenk Uygur
Search: