[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: Menace, Aristotle, El_Matador  
Forum » Knowledge » History/Culture » What Do You Know About Indians? ((by: Dr. Leslie D. Hannah, a Cherokee))
What Do You Know About Indians?
Pensmoke Date: Sunday, 08/Mar/09, 7:35 PM | Message # 1

Removed
For many people the answer is not much at all.

Dr Hannah gave me permission to repost this vid on my own youtube page. Peep it out.

Menace Date: Sunday, 08/Mar/09, 7:42 PM | Message # 2

Heads
good info by the way i heard some Native American Movements in the 60's and 70's were also destroyed by the COINTELPRO program by the way is Leonard Peltier still in prison ??

Menace Date: Sunday, 08/Mar/09, 8:13 PM | Message # 3

Heads
ohh that's bad some people call Mumia Abu Jamal the black version of Leonard and i don't understand man why all political prisoners from the USA are from the left wing ?? the government and these crooked cops seems to not understand every person has his freedom to choose ohh and by the way did yaal know they are naming a street in France in Paris Mumia Abu Jamal in respect for him and some dudes now are suing the city of Paris cause they named a street after a "criminal" like we don't have the right to name our countries streets whatever we want biggrin

Chinita Date: Sunday, 08/Mar/09, 8:39 PM | Message # 4

Heads
my ex is part cherokee indian, so sad what was done to them, i cried.. that years ago i had a website dedicated to the cherokee indians and their story.. we went to alot of pow wows..they are awesome and he attented the trail of tears on his mortorcyle.

The Trail of Tears was the relocation and movement of Native Americans in the United States from their homelands to Indian Territory (present day Oklahoma) in the Western United States. The phrase originated from a description of the removal of the Choctaw Nation in 1831.[1] Many Native Americans suffered from exposure, disease, and starvation while en route to their destinations, and many died, including, for example, 4,000 of the 15,000 relocated Cherokee.[2] Thousands of enslaved and free African-Americans (as slaves accompanying their Native American slaveowners and as former runaway slaves that were assisted by, assimilated by, or married to members of the tribes) accompanied the removed nations on the Trail of Tears.[2]

Trail of Tears Powwow
A Local Legacy
In 1828, gold was discovered on land belonging to the Cherokee Indians in Georgia. This made the land even more desirable to white settlers who had begun expanding south and westward. In the fall and winter of 1838-1839, 15,000 Cherokees were forced out of their ancestral lands to make room for those settlers. They were made to move to what is now Oklahoma, a journey of 1,200 miles. About 4,000 Cherokees died on the way.
The route that they followed is known as "The Trail of Tears" or "The Trail Where They Cried" because of how much they suffered on the way. Hopkinsville, Kentucky, was a stopping point on that journey. In 1993, the Trail of Tears Commemorative Park opened in Hopkinsville to honor the Cherokees and all Indians, the original inhabitants of America.

Every September, there is a powwow in the park. This is a gathering of Native Americans and those who enjoy or want to learn more about Native American culture and traditions. Dancing in native costume, singing, storytelling, and craft demonstrations are all part of the celebration. Thousands of people come from all over the country to participate.

TheWatcher Date: Wednesday, 11/Mar/09, 3:41 PM | Message # 5

Heads
Dr Hannah:"I don't know what to do" Spread your knowledge! Sadly I barely know anything about indians myself, though I am part Indian (Pretty vaguely though, like 1/8th or something) and I'm not even sure what type.
eboyd Date: Wednesday, 11/Mar/09, 4:02 PM | Message # 6

Heads
Yeah, Watcher, I'm in the same boat as you. I am very minutely of Indian lineage (I think Cherokee myself) but I have NO CLUE about Indian history.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Forum » Knowledge » History/Culture » What Do You Know About Indians? ((by: Dr. Leslie D. Hannah, a Cherokee))
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: