[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: Menace, Aristotle, El_Matador  
Forum » Knowledge » History/Culture » Thomas Jefferson & Anarchy ((Was he and anarchist?))
Thomas Jefferson & Anarchy
Menace Date: Sunday, 07/Dec/08, 9:20 PM | Message # 1

Heads
I will start saying that almost all US founding fathers held libertarian and anarchist views so Thomas Jefferson was a anarchist ??

Yes Thomas Jefferson. One of the founders of the U.S. was sometimes viewed as a philosophical anarchist.
Jefferson believed that "Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn
around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law', because law is often but
the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual."

Thomas Jefferson was the 3rd president of the U.S. and the principal author of the Declaration of Independance.

Jefferson also felt that if the moral sense of the people was reliable enough, an anarchist society could
function well, provided that it was reasonably small. He also admired the tribal societies of the Native Americans.
“I am convinced that those societies (as the Indians) which live without government enjoy in their general mass
an infinitely greater degree of happiness than those who live under the European governments. Among the former,
public opinion is in the place of law, & restrains morals as powerfully as laws ever did anywhere.
Among the latter, under pretence of governing they have divided their nations into two classes, wolves & sheep.
I do not exaggerate.”

Thomas Jefferson was also very aware of the need for rebellion, as he wrote "What signify a few lives lost in a
century or two? The tree of liberty must from time to time be refreshed with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
It is its natural manure." in a letter regarding Shays rebellion.

Thomas Jefferson was also very aware of the need for rebellion, as he wrote "What signify a few lives lost in a
century or two? The tree of liberty must from time to time be refreshed with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
It is its natural manure." in a letter regarding Shays rebellion.

Jefferson expressed extreme mistrust toward the banking systems. He wrote, "I sincerely believe, with you,
that banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies; and that the principle of spending money to
be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale."

You would be amazed how many times modern anarchists quote this man, and rightfully so.
I have to admit, I have quoted him myself. biggrin

Words of Wisdom from Thomas Jefferson

ThaScience Date: Monday, 08/Dec/08, 3:17 PM | Message # 2

OGs
thomas jefferson mixed with indian blood, kkk like wtf.. loadin their guns up lol

good read menace cool

I_Guy Date: Monday, 20/Jul/09, 11:37 PM | Message # 3

Heads
Jefferson was a great man.

We all know that each of our end is near; the question is do we accept the end of our living existence, or do we accept our existence as dead men...
Forum » Knowledge » History/Culture » Thomas Jefferson & Anarchy ((Was he and anarchist?))
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: