Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: I_Guy, s0dr2, El_Matador  
Forum » Knowledge » Philosophy/Science » The Definition of A Smart Man
The Definition of A Smart Man
Acekat00o Date: Friday, 30/Jan/09, 10:22 AM | Message # 1

Heads
What defines a smart man ,a man with knowledge and intelligence ?

Graffiti
s0dr2 Date: Friday, 30/Jan/09, 11:24 AM | Message # 2

OGs
I'd say wisdom....cause you may not have knowledge on certain things and that doesn't make you dumb.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Message edited by sodr2 - Friday, 30/Jan/09, 11:25 AM
Deadly-Sin Date: Friday, 30/Jan/09, 11:30 AM | Message # 3

Removed
Quote (Acekat00o)
What defines a smart man ,a man with knowledge and intelligence

no.... An asian kid in an American school defines a smart man.
ill Date: Friday, 30/Jan/09, 1:52 PM | Message # 4

Emcees
an open mind to reason

The World Is Yours
Deadly-Sin Date: Friday, 30/Jan/09, 2:55 PM | Message # 5

Removed
Quote (Kriptah-Knite)
no.... An asian kid in an American school defines a smart man.

By the way this was just a joke alright..........

\

I_Guy Date: Saturday, 31/Jan/09, 8:50 PM | Message # 6

Heads
If someone possesses all of the following:

Wisdom (understanding acquired through time and experience)
Knowledge (acquired through study)
Intelligence (the ability to reason, rationalize, and utilize logic)
Intuition (instinct, has to do with "street smarts")
Awareness (observant, open minded)

We all know that each of our end is near; the question is do we accept the end of our living existence, or do we accept our existence as dead men...
Lord_Meth Date: Saturday, 31/Jan/09, 8:51 PM | Message # 7

Heads
Quote (I_Guy)

Good examples

Sick With It
I_Guy Date: Monday, 20/Jul/09, 11:40 PM | Message # 8

Heads
Quote (8Diagrams)
There are no smart people anymore...

Very few.

We all know that each of our end is near; the question is do we accept the end of our living existence, or do we accept our existence as dead men...
EmSeeD Date: Tuesday, 21/Jul/09, 0:29 AM | Message # 9

Heads
Quote (I_Guy)

its pretty hard to have all these, one i don't have is Knowledge through study, i find history etc interesting but there's other things i don't find interesting and there's not much point in studying them that well like maths, science, some things about science interest me but i was just never the type of guy that was all hard out into that,

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
I_Guy Date: Tuesday, 21/Jul/09, 3:18 AM | Message # 10

Heads
Quote (EmSeeD)
its pretty hard to have all these, one i don't have is Knowledge through study, i find history etc interesting but there's other things i don't find interesting and there's not much point in studying them that well like maths, science, some things about science interest me but i was just never the type of guy that was all hard out into that,

Perhaps people can be all of those in a particular area of interest.

ilikebacon3000 Date: Tuesday, 20/Oct/09, 7:33 PM | Message # 11

Emcees
Quote (I_Guy)

Perfect definition in my opinion.

The only two I don't have is wisdom (time it takes) and Intuition.
I may have some Street Smarts around my way, and when it comes to whether or not someones trustworthy with money, or drugs, or whatever. But thats my town. Drugs and money. Not much violence to be honest.
But what might be Street Smart in Watts might not be street smart in Alabama, so that one is subjective.

Life's a bitch and I'm just along for the ride.
ilikebacon3000 Date: Tuesday, 20/Oct/09, 10:11 PM | Message # 12

Emcees
Quote (8Diagrams)
Speak like this guy, you do

Laugh out loud, I am.

TheWatcher Date: Wednesday, 21/Oct/09, 5:29 PM | Message # 13

Heads
Quote (ilikebacon3000)
Laugh out loud, I am.

He may be a green midget but that doesn't make him an idiot, it's "Laughing out loud, I am." Learn to speak Yoda or don't speak it at all. >(

Message edited by TheWatcher - Wednesday, 21/Oct/09, 5:31 PM
ilikebacon3000 Date: Wednesday, 21/Oct/09, 9:41 PM | Message # 14

Emcees
Quote (TheWatcher)
He may be a green midget but that doesn't make him an idiot, it's "Laughing out loud, I am." Learn to speak Yoda or don't speak it at all

Sorry but I never jacked off to the Yoda scenes to the point of memorizing his dialect!

eboyd Date: Thursday, 22/Oct/09, 2:38 AM | Message # 15

Heads
Lol!

On topic. I think being "smart" is nothing more than having specific expertise, or even just being somewhat well verse, in one or more things. That doesn't mean that you cannot be a complete ignoramus otherwise. For example, to pinpoint a more broad aspect of being smart, some people are "street smart," but outside of that they are illiterate, computationally challenged, uneducated in history, etc. Others, like myself, struggle with "street smarts" but find their musings in the realms of philosophy, language, science, math, etc. and excel in all of them. We call them "book smart". They usually are good with concepts and paperwork, but when it comes to practical application, unless they work hard to make up for their lack of skills in the practical world, they will fail. You can also be smart with specific subjects. Some people, like mathematicians, are very analytical, and therefore they excel at math, but unless they can find some sort of logical way to understand language, they usually do not do as well, and when it comes to writing they are usually bland because of a lack of imagination. I think intelligence is more of a general smartness. Someone who is intelligent excels to some extent in each category, though may not be specifically brilliant in any one category. Knowledge, to me, is the collected information that comprises smartness and intelligence; the more knowledge one has, the more smart/intelligent he/she is. And it's not necessarily that one is smart OR intelligent. Smart can determine what someone is in a specific sense, ie: "he is a smart man when it comes to math" and intelligent would of course then be the braod sense, ie: "he is a smart man when it comes to all subjects, therefore, he is intelligent". Wisdom, to me, is the reflection of the collected knowledge, so therefore it is a more active word. Someone is wise when they act intelligently and reflect their knowledge either through words or actions. So basically, wisdom is the expression of knowledge, either through words or actions. By extension we could conclude that someone who is wise is able to find practical use for their intelligence; wisdom is, in fact, applied intelligence. Therefore, I would say that the ultimate goal in this respect is to become wise.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Forum » Knowledge » Philosophy/Science » The Definition of A Smart Man
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: