Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
Forum moderator: I_Guy, s0dr2, El_Matador  
Forum » Knowledge » Philosophy/Science » The Definition of Evil
The Definition of Evil
Adam Date: Wednesday, 09/Sep/09, 8:17 AM | Message # 16

B-Girls
Don't matter. You killed an ant. Horrible person. I mean you don't step on cats and kill them with high heels and expect forgiveness do you?

I JUST EXPLODED INTO RAINBOWS AND LOLLIPOPS!
s0dr2 Date: Wednesday, 09/Sep/09, 8:27 AM | Message # 17

OGs
Quote (Adam)
Don't matter. You killed an ant. Horrible person. I mean you don't step on cats and kill them with high heels and expect forgiveness do you?

uhh... id expect the cats family to bow down for forgiveness for touching my shoe

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Adam Date: Wednesday, 09/Sep/09, 8:34 AM | Message # 18

B-Girls
What if I killed your camels?

I JUST EXPLODED INTO RAINBOWS AND LOLLIPOPS!
s0dr2 Date: Wednesday, 09/Sep/09, 9:11 AM | Message # 19

OGs
off topic...

heres something to contemplate:

"The sin of our age is the loss of the sense of sin"

replace sin with evilness if ud like but u get the point

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Message edited by sodr2 - Wednesday, 09/Sep/09, 12:55 PM
Menace Date: Wednesday, 09/Sep/09, 3:37 PM | Message # 20

Heads
Quote (Adam)
We are all evil, because we step on life. (Ants/Worms/Etc.)

it's called natural selection and it's part of EVOLUTION nature is not evil

EmSeeD Date: Saturday, 17/Oct/09, 3:04 AM | Message # 21

Heads
everyones evil

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
EmSeeD Date: Saturday, 17/Oct/09, 5:29 AM | Message # 22

Heads
here's a classic NZ song called "Jesus I Was Evil" quite a cool song actually

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
Chinita Date: Saturday, 17/Oct/09, 7:33 PM | Message # 23

Heads
Quote (Adam)
What if I killed your camels?

haha

eboyd Date: Saturday, 17/Oct/09, 8:53 PM | Message # 24

Heads
Evil is a false concept. Evil is to bad as the concept of the soul is to the mind or what morals is to ethics. It is simply a religious version of a secular concept and it pretenses that religion is correct and is therefore a fallacious concept because it begs the question. The term itself is not fallacious, but the concept behind it is. This is because evil has been defined in a religious pretext that supposes religious morals and therefore automatically infer the existence of moral absolutes which are blatantly false. We know that they are blatantly false because we are not physically bound to do certain things out of moral obligation, and additionally, there are times we are inclined to do something that is morally incorrect. If there were moral absolutes -- or objective morals -- we would, at very least, have a consensus as to what morals are correct or incorrect, but as it stands, morals, or ethics, as in this definition it would be more appropriately called, are as unique to each individual as their fingerprint, and so the concept of evil inherently becomes a false concept and can be throw to the way side. Additionally, we have come to a point in history where we have enough information to say, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if a God exists, he/she/it created the universe and abandoned us, because everything in our universe has been explained without necessity of a God scientifically, and therefore any religious moral code is null and void and so, again, evil is a false concept. If you would like this apparent proof I speak of, PM me and I will provide ample evidence.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

eboyd Date: Saturday, 17/Oct/09, 9:16 PM | Message # 25

Heads
Not necessarily. You see, back then there were very few facts and the complexity of the universe pointed to the existence of a creator and so based on that, people inferred that this creator should logically be the ruler. They had no concept of evolution, the big bang, etc., back then even certain things like a spherical world, the earth rotating around the sun, or even gravity were unfathomably absurd until scientists like Newton and Copernicus proved them to be true. Imagine if you were raised thinking the earth was flat and suddenly some guy told you it was round. Look around. Would you really believe that person? Hell no! It's obvious that the world is flat! And some religions actually did accurately predict a lot of true things before they were realized. The Islamic Quran predicts more true facts than any holy book. It predicted an expanding universe, life arising from water, etc., over 1,000 years before these facts were realized. Additionally, the average person, due to lack of education (and for this reason it persists today), could not fathom a concept of a spectrum as opposed to absolutes and therefore morals had to (and for some they still have to) be objective in people's minds.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

eboyd Date: Saturday, 17/Oct/09, 11:09 PM | Message # 26

Heads
Well, I would guess around the time of the first religion. We have evidence of a religion around the time of the ancient Sumerians in their society, though we have little knowledge of what they believed and nothing that I have heard/read points toward evil, but the Ancient Egyptian Religion (which, btw, is not a unified religion, it is a collective of hundreds, maybe thousands, of Pagan rooted religions that usually revolved around some of the same central characters, like Horus, Osiris, Isis, etc.) gives of evidence of concepts of good and evil from 3,000+ years ago. And for reference purposes:

evil O.E. yfel (Kentish evel) "bad, vicious," from P.Gmc. *ubilaz (cf. O.Saxon ubil, Goth. ubils), from PIE *upelo-, giving the word an original sense of "uppity, overreaching bounds" which slowly worsened. "In OE., as in all the other early Teut. langs., exc. Scandinavian, this word is the most comprehensive adjectival expression of disapproval, dislike or disparagement" [OED]. Evil was the word the Anglo-Saxons used where we would use bad, cruel, unskillful, defective (adj.), or harm, crime, misfortune, disease. The meaning "extreme moral wickedness" was in O.E., but did not become the main sense until 18c. Evil eye (L. oculus malus) was O.E. eage yfel.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

eboyd Date: Saturday, 17/Oct/09, 11:12 PM | Message # 27

Heads
*correction* Ancient Egyptian Religion is from around 3000 BC, not 3000 years ago.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

I_Guy Date: Sunday, 18/Oct/09, 1:27 AM | Message # 28

Heads
Applause to eboyd.

We all know that each of our end is near; the question is do we accept the end of our living existence, or do we accept our existence as dead men...
eboyd Date: Sunday, 18/Oct/09, 3:42 AM | Message # 29

Heads
Thank you for the applause, but may I ask for what exactly? :D

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

I_Guy Date: Monday, 19/Oct/09, 0:01 AM | Message # 30

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
Thank you for the applause, but may I ask for what exactly?

It's just pleasing to read a well stated point.

We all know that each of our end is near; the question is do we accept the end of our living existence, or do we accept our existence as dead men...
Forum » Knowledge » Philosophy/Science » The Definition of Evil
Search: