New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
Forum moderator: I_Guy, s0dr2, El_Matador  
Forum » Knowledge » Philosophy/Science » Vegetarianism
Vegetarianism
I_Guy Date: Monday, 22/Feb/10, 4:41 PM | Message # 316

Heads
Quote (J-Breakz)
(They do that for welfare)

rofl LMFAO I knew you were going to say that. And I told my self that if you say something as hilarious as that then I will give up all hope for all of our debates. There you go, reducing complicated lifestyles and behaviors to economics. I'm not saying that welfare doesn't play a role in some people's irresponsibility, but it sure as hell isn't a solo role. Pure carelessness produces unwanted and unaffordable children, not so much the hope for more welfare.

We all know that each of our end is near; the question is do we accept the end of our living existence, or do we accept our existence as dead men...
J-Breakz Date: Tuesday, 23/Feb/10, 1:31 AM | Message # 317

Heads
Quote (Menace)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labor_theory_of_value

....? okay?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cost-of-production_theory_of_value

Quote (I_Guy)
rofl LMFAO I knew you were going to say that. And I told my self that if you say something as hilarious as that then I will give up all hope for all of our debates. There you go, reducing complicated lifestyles and behaviors to economics. I'm not saying that welfare doesn't play a role in some people's irresponsibility, but it sure as hell isn't a solo role. Pure carelessness produces unwanted and unaffordable children, not so much the hope for more welfare.

You're pretty naive man. There's women in the ghetto whose goals in life are to get knocked up so they can live off of welfare. I have encountered the women like that and I have heard plenty of stories about it. Sure pure carelessness produces unwanted and unaffordable children, but it's the safety net of the welfare system that produces the carelessness. It doesn't even make sense how ur arguing. If you can't afford the children then obviously there isn't going to be much overpopulation because nobody will be able to support it. If nobody can support it then it dies. That's kinda how nature works, and this shows how very alike to animals we really are. Of course, money just makes it a lot easier to tell whether or not u can support a(nother) child. Overpopulation only happens if there are programs that force money out of people and give it or food out for free to others.

livin life like some cheesy movie
I_Guy Date: Tuesday, 23/Feb/10, 1:30 PM | Message # 318

Heads
Quote (J-Breakz)
You're pretty naive man. There's women in the ghetto whose goals in life are to get knocked up so they can live off of welfare. I have encountered the women like that and I have heard plenty of stories about it.

And I know plenty of instances in which the woman is not on welfare and has the children simply by being thoughtless and irresponsible.

Quote (J-Breakz)
Sure pure carelessness produces unwanted and unaffordable children, but it's the safety net of the welfare system that produces the carelessness. It doesn't even make sense how ur arguing. If you can't afford the children then obviously there isn't going to be much overpopulation because nobody will be able to support it. If nobody can support it then it dies. That's kinda how nature works, and this shows how very alike to animals we really are. Of course, money just makes it a lot easier to tell whether or not u can support a(nother) child. Overpopulation only happens if there are programs that force money out of people and give it or food out for free to others.

I didn't say welfare has no role in it. It is only limited. But it can't be reduced to one single factor. If you step back, you see that your bullshit ass capitalism creates class division, and in class division you will have a bottom class, and if there is a government then some aid will be provided to the bottom class.

Anyways we are getting off topic.

Quote (J-Breakz)
Humans are still animals. We are just as much part of this Earth as any other animal. We play a key role in sustaining the world as we know it today just like every animal has a key role in doing the same.

But we are emerging as far too parasitic. Result: planet death.

Quote (J-Breakz)
Well, one, I said that morals should only be applied to humans

Why should morals only be applied to humans?

We all know that each of our end is near; the question is do we accept the end of our living existence, or do we accept our existence as dead men...
J-Breakz Date: Tuesday, 23/Feb/10, 4:53 PM | Message # 319

Heads
Quote (I_Guy)

And I know plenty of instances in which the woman is not on welfare and has the children simply by being thoughtless and irresponsible.

Really, are those woman able to afford all those children? If they are then the world isn't being overpopulated because we obviously have enough resources to sustain more of the children. If resources become too scarce then that means that the prices for the resources rise and women like that won't be able to afford to take care of as many children. Most likely wat would happend would be that there would be a decline in the birth rates. But just because you won't be satisfied with that answer we can just say that the kids won't be able to get what they need because the resources we use would be so expensive and they will die. Just like how nature works to balance everything out.

Quote (I_Guy)

Why should morals only be applied to humans?

Because we're the ones that created them. I think it's silly we should only apply morals to animals that you think are the most important. Every animal plays an equal part in nature.

I_Guy Date: Tuesday, 23/Feb/10, 11:11 PM | Message # 320

Heads
Quote (J-Breakz)
Really, are those woman able to afford all those children?

Depending on what you mean, yes and no. They can afford to keep them fed (sometimes). But that's about it.

Quote (J-Breakz)
But just because you won't be satisfied with that answer we can just say that the kids won't be able to get what they need because the resources we use would be so expensive and they will die.

No they won't. They resort to crime. See why capitalism fails.

You sit around and judge things with a strict economic logic as if it is all powerful and foreseeable. Meanwhile you exclude many many other aspects.

Quote (J-Breakz)
Because we're the ones that created them. I think it's silly we should only apply morals to animals that you think are the most important.

It's not simply about which animals are the most important. There is a context defining this notion. It is about which animals are more valuable to the environment and which are most effective on the world. But it isn't a hierarchy of "importance," it is a logical preference of who is losable and who isn't. We can then determine what is sacrificable under the most extreme circumstances that call for the destruction of any creature. However, that is only if the creature HAS to die, such as pick either a duck or a human, likewise something like a butterfly or a gorilla. Though indeed, determining environmental value will be difficult in some situations. That is the pragmatic perspective. However, theoretically, the same morals should apply to all life (and actually under strict logic, the same goes for everything in existence). But as a means of maintaining life's existence in general, we have to delineate a transition through a continuum based on the pragmatic aspect of life's process (effect on the overall environment and other lifeforms in it). By drawing such a pragmatic extension, we can then decide what to sacrifice (if absolutely needed) whatever ends up being determined as the least damaging to the environment. That is the pragmatic way of looking at it. If we were to follow it purely theoretically, then humans would have to die, because we recognize that nothing actually gives us the right to impede on other beings of any form (or anything at all actually). So the pragmatic outlook must be implemented to maintain our own existence, which is an evolutionarily intuitive desire. This makes our moral structure as consistent as possible (keeping in mind our own well being, a well being that we have evolved to cherish).

BUT, all of this can be avoided if we simply cut ourselves off from any interaction with the wild and find alternatives to current lifestyles that allow for such a shift. It is our moral obligation to find new ways that orient us towards any moral consistency. Rejecting moral consistency is invoking moral chaos, and that is surely irrational, and that is what we have today.

Quote (J-Breakz)
Because we're the ones that created them.

By the way, so called "morals" may actually be an evolutionary development in humans.

eboyd Date: Thursday, 25/Feb/10, 8:58 AM | Message # 321

Heads
http://news.infoshop.org/article.php?story=20080604153638368

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

I_Guy Date: Thursday, 25/Feb/10, 9:19 PM | Message # 322

Heads
I started to respond in a certain direction to this article, but as I read I decided not to. The logic used is powerful at times, but very mixed up. The author kind of flip flops a few times, and what's up with the repeating of paragraphs? I see much of the entire argument as a semantic one. The author suggests a large difference between animal liberation (which is claimed to be noble) and veganism (which is claimed to be pointless). Semanitc nonsense if you ask me. Most vegans are animal liberationists. That's usually what inspires their veganism. Few people are vegans solely for diet. So the author bashes veganism and talks up animal liberationists, without realizing that vegans are usually animal liberationists. So what if the terms are used interchangeably sometimes, and who cares if veganism is used mistakenly sometimes in place of using animal liberationists. There is an essence behind both terms that is the same. Sure, to be accurate, the terms mean different things. Veganism refers to a diet choice, and animal liberation refers to a moral and social standpoint, but veganism has taken on a newer meaning by being so associated with animal liberation, due to many of the supporters being both vegans and animal liberationists. I was reading it fast but another major (philosophical) issue I had with it is as follows,

"There is no coherent morality or ethics rooted in nature that can view the killing and eating of animals as wrong. In nature, killing and eating something is a respectful, intimate activity, and a necessary part of natural cycles. Viewing this as wrong is nothing but a shockingly alienated, civilized view that domesticates animals at a metaphysical level by reducing them to quasi-citizens in need of rights. Fuck that shit. Humans and all other animals are much more free and full outside of legal frameworks, without rights, only needs and desires."

And there is nothing saying it is right. There is nothing saying anything in favor of wrong or right for ANYTHING. That's the "null" of the "absurd universe." So this leaves us with a natural law of free-for-all, aka chaos. Who's okay with that? By revealing the absurdity of the universe in this way, we are completely unjustified in making a positive or negative (or any kind of) claim for any value or imperative. This logic leaves us in a neutral state of organization lack. That is all the author has revealed by the logic in the above passage. However revealing the absurd has extreme implications. That means that anyone can do anything, because by the logic being used here, the universe necessitates nothing, no one need be justified for ANYTHING.

It's far too extensive to go into fully, but this is an enormous issue. Because people try to make claims about a lack of natural imperatives. They say there is nothing rooted in nature that says something is wrong or right. Do they realize that this unravels all thought of all western civilization? Sure it is true, but the implications are severe, and contradictory to everything we take for granted. Molestations is then not wrong, rape is then not wrong, murder is then not wrong, incest is then not wrong. All these things make people cringe. Yet they fail to see that all these things are affected when they say killing animals in not wrong. The fact is NOTHING is wrong. However, that poses a great problem to human organization. How then do we organize in a universe that is inherently absurd?

This is why reading Nietzsche, Kierkegaard, and Camus is essential. They explored the bottom of the bottom in philosophy. They explored what all regular people and philosophers obliviously work towards with their logic. All discovery science, almost all philosophy, psychology, all of it. It all simply breaks things down more and more, and ends up revealing the absurd. But the absurd is horrifying, and we naturally reject it, or fail to realize it. However, Nietzsche, Kierkegaard, and Camus were in full recognition of the absurd. Everyone should be.

But what's really funny is when people without actually recognizing the absurd, reveal the absurd in favor of their points (such as "there's nothing actually wrong with killing animals"). However the absurd itself is in DIRECT CONTRADICTION to all human desires and intuitive logic. So by using the absurd to make a point in favor of their argument, they contradict themselves and thus deconstruct their own argument (the focus of Derrida's philosophy, which I've repeatedly stressed).

Sorry for ranting like this, but these issues are among the enormous assumptions that people obliviously exercise ALL THE TIME. It drives me crazy, and I've occasionally talked about it before on here.

We have to first be in FULL recognition of the absurd. At that point we can employ the needed logic to build structure and organized order in a universe that works against us. That way, there can be no more break down of anything. It is a cleansing of contradictions. That way we can say "we can do no more: because it would be humanly impossible. That's what my post from a couple days ago addresses (to an extent.)

But anyways, essentially what the author is addressing is the vegetarians/vegans dilemma. It's the same dilemma that anyone has when they try to resist the atrocities of corporate industry or state. It is the individuals inability to make a change to something that is larger than themselves. Nothing new.

"Secondly, veganism takes moral prohibitions that are not logical within nature but only within a specific historical context and universalizes and mystifies them."
I see the issue going much much deeper than that. The philosophical aspects reach enormous depths.

"Thirdly, veganism is missionary. As a fairly deserved generalization, y'all try to convert."
You could say the same thing about abolitionists. When there is a moral issue at stake, people get passionate.
Comparing it to religions? The attributes are shared, but not related. The author is trying to make (an ambiguous) point by associating religion and veganism. So? What are the implications? Resemblance does not equal association. But if vegans are motivated by emotion, rather than a logic, then they do resemble religion in a way.

However, the point is solid that simply deciding to stop eating meat is of virtually no effect. Choosing not to eat meat isn't even the issue, choosing not to BUY meat is the real issue. Because buying meat contributes directly to the immoral act of slaughtering animals. I see slaughtering meat as immoral, I see eating meat as amoral. Because eating meat doesn't necessarily contribute to slaughtering animals (if the meat is given to you, you find it, roadkill, etc.). Unfortunately one little person doesn't make much of a difference when they refuse to buy meat. This is the vegetarian's dilemma. Choosing not to eat meat creates direct problems for other morals. For instance, in the cafeteria at my school, sometimes I end up unknowingly selecting a dish that has meat in one of the servings. So then what do I do? Refuse to eat it, and throw it away so that it is wasted? That doesn't seem right either. It seems once its said and done, and the meat is in the serving on the plate, then it should be eaten -not wasted. SO, I eat it.

But then the problem expands. What's the point of choosing not to eat the meat they serve? Didn't I pay them a set fee to use the buffet service for the whole school year? What effect does refusing to eat meat have? -NO effect. They still get my money, that money shuffles around to buy food goods, which will often be meat. So under such a condition, it makes no sense at all to refuse meat. It makes a joke out of the vegetarian cause.

Then the problem expands even more so. Given the problems stated above, I conclude it would be most practically balanced, effective, and logical to simply not BUY meat when I can avoid it (such as grocery shopping). Don't give direct effort to buying meat. That seems to serve the cause, and avoid making a joke out of the cause (unlike the cafeteria situation). But then I realize, that it doesn't matter if I buy meat from a grocery store either. What do they care what I buy? As long as they get my money somehow then it's all good. The meat I don't buy is substituted by more vegetables, and other shit. So they still get about the same amount of money from me. And where does that money go? -It shuffles around to buy more goods, and much of which will be meat. And that continues the chain of contribution to slaughtering meat.

The only solution would be to shop at an all vegetarian grocery store. Those are quite hard to find. So, we have in recognition, the vegetarians dilemma. And it is much of which the author addresses. Though some of the argument given is problematic for me for reasons that are far to far out of scope for me to worry about here. It makes a good point about the ineffectiveness of simply "not eating meat." That's why I strive to argue against speciesism, and anthropocentrism, and the industries that perpetuate these mentalities. I don't try to ask people to stop eating meat, I ask them to reevaluate the morality behind where and how they get the meat.

Okay I think I've said enough.

eboyd Date: Friday, 26/Feb/10, 0:07 AM | Message # 323

Heads
I think you misunderstand the point of the article. The writer is approaching the issue the same way as you, but from a different aspect. You denying the difference between veganism and animal liberation isn't doing anything justice. As I would expect you to know, an animal liberationist isn't necessarily a vegan or even a vegetarian. This article is more pro-freeganism (as in only eating free foods as to not support the industry that is perpetuating animal slaughter) than an argument against veganism. The author even clarifies in his comments that he has no problem with people choosing a vegan diet for such purposes. The problem he has with vegans is when they try to force veganism on the rest of humanity. He's not in opposition to ethical veganism as long as ethical vegans recognize the true problems that lie behind animal liberation, which do not lie in eating meat, but rather meat consumption (which the author defines as the purchase of meat from the grocery industry). I will, however, say that you have had the most rational response to this article of any vegan that has commented. Others often get very defensive because they see their moral crusade against killing and eating animals in all possible ways being challenged with a logical response from someone who isn't following veganism, especially as a religious doctrine like many vegans do.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

J-Breakz Date: Friday, 26/Feb/10, 1:50 PM | Message # 324

Heads
Quote (I_Guy)
No they won't. They resort to crime. See why capitalism fails.

Well it depends what you mean by crime. If you mean sellin drugs then I don't think that's bad at all. If you mean burglary then I wouldn't agree with you. Crimes involving theft has actually lowered a considerable amount as time has progressed which wouldn't make sense because the more time goes on the more our population grows.
Quote (I_Guy)
It is about which animals are more valuable to the environment and which are most effective on the world. But it isn't a hierarchy of "importance," it is a logical preference of who is losable and who isn't. We can then determine what is sacrificable under the most extreme circumstances that call for the destruction of any creature. However, that is only if the creature HAS to die, such as pick either a duck or a human, likewise something like a butterfly or a gorilla. Though indeed, determining environmental value will be difficult in some situations. That is the pragmatic perspective. However, theoretically, the same morals should apply to all life (and actually under strict logic, the same goes for everything in existence). But as a means of maintaining life's existence in general, we have to delineate a transition through a continuum based on the pragmatic aspect of life's process (effect on the overall environment and other lifeforms in it). By drawing such a pragmatic extension, we can then decide what to sacrifice (if absolutely needed) whatever ends up being determined as the least damaging to the environment. That is the pragmatic way of looking at it.
Like I said before, nearly all life is important in one way or another and they can't be put in comparison. For example, why would a monkey be more valuable than a spider? Without spiders, insects would become overpopulated and we wouldn't be able to sustain the world as we know it. But a monkey wouldn't be less valuable because scientists use them to help us understand humans more.

Quote (I_Guy)
If we were to follow it purely theoretically, then humans would have to die, because we recognize that nothing actually gives us the right to impede on other beings of any form (or anything at all actually).

That's why I think it's irrational to think that way. You have to twist and bend the rules in order to try to make it seem rational.

I_Guy Date: Friday, 26/Feb/10, 3:20 PM | Message # 325

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
I think you misunderstand the point of the article.

Probably did some. I read it pretty swiftly. Wish I could give shit more time sometimes.

I_Guy Date: Friday, 26/Feb/10, 3:25 PM | Message # 326

Heads
Quote (J-Breakz)
Crimes involving theft has actually lowered a considerable amount as time has progressed which wouldn't make sense because the more time goes on the more our population grows.

I'm having trouble believing that.

Quote (J-Breakz)
Like I said before, nearly all life is important in one way or another and they can't be put in comparison. For example, why would a monkey be more valuable than a spider?

It is situational. The situation's projected effects will determine that.

Quote (J-Breakz)
That's why I think it's irrational to think that way. You have to twist and bend the rules in order to try to make it seem rational.

There is a difference between pure rationalism and pragmatic rationalism. They are within different contexts and used for different purposes. I was simply explaining both.

I_Guy Date: Friday, 26/Feb/10, 3:41 PM | Message # 327

Heads
By the way, with the whole "humans have evolved to eat meat," points. To be accurate, humans evolved to eat raw meat. And I've actually been looking into research that looks into the mutilation of nutritional value when food is cooked.

People wouldn't be saying meat tastes good if they ate it raw (the way we evolved to). lol

eboyd Date: Friday, 26/Feb/10, 6:04 PM | Message # 328

Heads
Quote (I_Guy)
By the way, with the whole "humans have evolved to eat meat," points. To be accurate, humans evolved to eat raw meat. And I've actually been looking into research that looks into the mutilation of nutritional value when food is cooked.

People wouldn't be saying meat tastes good if they ate it raw (the way we evolved to). lol

i've heard about that too. i need to read up on it. i think some foods are still better cooked, plus cooking, while it removes nutritional value, also gets rid of any bacteria in the meat.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

J-Breakz Date: Saturday, 27/Feb/10, 4:43 PM | Message # 329

Heads
Quote (I_Guy)
I'm having trouble believing that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_the_United_States

Quote (I_Guy)

actually I cook my steak really rare where my parents freak out that it's too raw lol. I love it tho

Forum » Knowledge » Philosophy/Science » Vegetarianism
Search: