Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
Forum moderator: I_Guy, s0dr2, El_Matador  
Forum » Knowledge » Philosophy/Science » The Impossibility of Free Will
The Impossibility of Free Will
Menace Date: Wednesday, 28/Oct/09, 7:18 PM | Message # 46

Heads
don't laugh :D my eyes after a session feel like so heavy like they will fall from the eye sockets i think these are signs that I'm fucked so i need to go to a doctor

I_Guy Date: Wednesday, 28/Oct/09, 9:25 PM | Message # 47

Heads
The Best Solution
I find agency probably the best solution currently. Agency accounts for the human anomaly. Nature has developed an organism that can escape nature, in a way. It may help to imagine "faculty factories" as a computer program that runs our brain. It can adjust to various combinations of situations to produce different results. Agency agrees that humans do make decisions and our decisions can change the state of things. This is our power as a self sustaining, self moving agent. Nature has given its organism the ability to alter the course. This ability is mistaken as free will or choice. But this ability is not truly within our control.

This explains why so many people make the same "choices" in similar circumstances. These "choices" become predictable. We are all made the same. We all have the same software. So it isn't surprising that predictable patterns prevail in human behavior.

Agency allows for probabilistic determinism, environmental determinism, biological determinism, and simple-indeterminism. But it does not allow hard-determinism or soft-determinism. I remember reading when one philosopher said, "if hard-determinism is true, then we must forgive Hitler." Because he speaks as if the actions of Hitler have been determined from the beginning of time and matter. But hard determinism is just too perfect and easy. It can't be that simple.

It is simply erroneous to conclude that only one philosophical standpoint applies. I believe many of them work together in combination at different levels of complexity, (made easier to understand by realmism.)

We all know that each of our end is near; the question is do we accept the end of our living existence, or do we accept our existence as dead men...
I_Guy Date: Thursday, 29/Oct/09, 2:43 PM | Message # 48

Heads
Emergence
Additionally, this "Remote Agency" as I call it, will allow emergence, which most determinists will deny. Emergence can occur by indeterminism, but self-aware organisms have made emergence possible outside of indeterminism.

I say this because we have to understand from where we get our intelligence. I am willing to say that we get it from our senses and our language. There may be other factors, but I believe these two are the major players.

Now imagine a person born with no senses. He is in every way like a human, but he has no ability to sense anything in anyway. Thus, he will not be able to have a language, therefore he will not be able to conceptualize and form a streamline of awareness. I will call this man "the capsule." What would the reality be like for this capsule? Would he ever become aware of himself? It would be unlikely if not impossible.
The senses are what give us our intelligence. They first of all allow us to be aware of the world and they give us a reality. When language comes into the picture we then begin to separate from the constraints of nature, because we can now recognize nature and change it. We then become agents, and we can then create emergence.

We all know that each of our end is near; the question is do we accept the end of our living existence, or do we accept our existence as dead men...
I_Guy Date: Thursday, 29/Oct/09, 8:50 PM | Message # 49

Heads
Blimp

eboyd Date: Sunday, 29/Nov/09, 0:40 AM | Message # 50

Heads
this video was quite an interesting find. i think this was an entire council of some sort. you can watch all of the videos on YT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCdeiwmQgUk

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

I_Guy Date: Sunday, 29/Nov/09, 3:18 AM | Message # 51

Heads
Hmmm, weird. I wonder what that council was about, especially in the UN.

By the way, do you think it makes sense to say that we have freewill but no control over it?

eboyd Date: Sunday, 29/Nov/09, 3:21 AM | Message # 52

Heads
Quote (I_Guy)
Hmmm, weird. I wonder what that council was about, especially in the UN.

my sentiments exactly

Quote (I_Guy)
By the way, do you think it makes sense to say that we have freewill but no control over it?

hmmm..... i'll have to think about that. that's a weird one.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Forum » Knowledge » Philosophy/Science » The Impossibility of Free Will
Search: