[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: s0dr2  
Forum » Off-Topic » General Music » LEE FIELDS & The Expressions (My World)
LEE FIELDS & The Expressions
abanks47 Date: Wednesday, 24/Feb/10, 12:19 PM | Message # 1

Emcees
LEE FIELDS & The Expressions

Lee Fields is a bona-fide, 100%, unadulterated, pure, gut-bucket soul singer. His "legendary" status owes to his undeniably solid series of rare 7" singles (and one LP) recorded and released on his own independent labels in the 70s. Madlib recently jacked his “Flim Flam” drums for the TV on the Radio remix he produced. Now, the New York label/production team Truth & Soul currently in the studio with Aloe Blacc are ready to bring him to light with a brand new album of beat-heavy, deep soul ballads that will show soul-revivalists the world over what real soul is.

Recorded over four years, Lee Fields & The Expressions have successfully created a unique and personal sound that can hold court with the bands they set out to emulate. However, what they’ve created in the process goes beyond just a carbon copy of a sweet soul music from the 60's and early 70's. The formula has remained the same but the style has been adapted for the ears of youngsters whose experiences with soul began with Amy, not Al, Otis and Marvin. Thirty years of retrospection has colored this cross-generational melding of the minds. It sounds odd on paper, but the results are classic: hip hop-reared record collectors come full circle to produce an album of beautiful soul music with one of the progenitors who made it all possible.
Stones Throw- http://www.stonesthrow.com/news/2009/04/lee-fields-and-the-expressions

Lee was born and raised in the small town of Wilson, North Carolina,one of 4 children. He spent his adolescence years singing in church and listening to R&B Artists such as James Brown, The Temptations, Eddie Floyd, Otis Redding and the classic sound of 60's Memphis. He joined a few racial balance groups in the South and began playing college circuits that included East Carolina University, Duke University and Georgia Tech. By the late sixties, Lee began his singing career, working with bands which would lay the foundation for funk music including Kool and the Gang, Sammy Gordon and the Hip-Huggers, and Little Royal.

Renowned throughout the global Funk community, Lee Fields has poured his grunts and screams over a legacy of funk and soul hits from the early seventies, including such 45 rpm classics as She’s a Lovemaker, The Bullis Coming, and The Funky Screw, not to mention his well sought after Let’s Talk It Over LP. This LP draws four digit bids from collectors worldwide. His recordings with the hard funk purists at TRUTH & SOUL, Desco, and Daptone Records in recent years has solidified his place as the King of contemporary funk music as well.

When Truth & Soul started as a record label in 2004, the first mission of label owners Jeff Silverman and Leon Michels, was to record a sweet soul record that would be modeled after the near perfect formula that bands like The Moments, The Delfonics, and The Stylistics had created. Music that was both tough as nails and sweet as honey. Music with laced with lush strings and smooth vocal harmonies layered over hard-hitting rhythms. Michels and Silverman called in a few trusty associates, which included singer Lee Fields, and recorded the single “Do You Love Me” b/w “Honey Dove”. What happened in the studio was pure magic and thus, The Expressions were born.

Fast forward almost two years and The Expressions featuring Lee Fields have successfully created a unique and personal sound that can hold court with the bands they set out to emulate. However, what was created in the process goes beyond just a carbon copy of a sweet soul music. The music has developed into a deeply soulful mix of old and new. The formula stayed the same but the style has been adapted for the ears of people who didn’t grow up on Al Green or Sam Cooke. Elements of modern music have crept their way into the mix to create something entirely fresh and unique. The Expressions have surely lived up to the name, each song they make is choked full of raw emotion that permeates deep through your ear hole straight to the soul.
From his other label; Truth and Soul- http://www.truthandsoulrecords.com/lee-fields/

I listened to 2 albums I was able to get my hands on all the way through about 4 times each. He is no joke, and if you are fan of funk/soul in anyway this man is definitley someone you should not pass up on. His voice is very commanding so that it will MAKE you listen to more, the message he sings is universal and can be understood by all, and all his tracks are off the fucking hook.

Here are the albums that I came upon:
Problems

My World

Here are some of my favorite tracks:

This dude just looks like a mack, Look at that pic next to the plane and tell me you weren't thinking the same thing.

Added (24/Feb/10, 12:19 Pm)
---------------------------------------------
DO NOT SLEEP, if you haven't heard this dude wake yo monkey ass up

A WELL DRESSED SKELETON SLOWLY CUTS YOUR THROAT.

"I Have No Fear Whatsoever of Anybody or Anything" -Malcolm X

“those who consider themselves the most adamant adherents of “real” hip-hop can also be the least knowledgeable.” –Adilifu Nama; an excert from his perception of Nas’s “Genesis”

Chinita Date: Wednesday, 24/Feb/10, 5:34 PM | Message # 2

Heads
wow this is awesome and love the pics, do you think we should also add this same thread in the artists introduction?

abanks47 Date: Thursday, 25/Feb/10, 12:57 PM | Message # 3

Emcees
sure why not

Added (25/Feb/10, 12:57 Pm)
---------------------------------------------
BUMP

Yall missin out. real talk.

A WELL DRESSED SKELETON SLOWLY CUTS YOUR THROAT.

"I Have No Fear Whatsoever of Anybody or Anything" -Malcolm X

“those who consider themselves the most adamant adherents of “real” hip-hop can also be the least knowledgeable.” –Adilifu Nama; an excert from his perception of Nas’s “Genesis”

Forum » Off-Topic » General Music » LEE FIELDS & The Expressions (My World)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: