[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: ThaScience, Aristotle, El_Matador  
Forum » Real HIP HOP Forever » Hip Hop History/Knowledge » Setting The Record Straight: Facts About Hip Hop
Setting The Record Straight: Facts About Hip Hop
eboyd Date: Saturday, 07/Feb/09, 12:47 PM | Message # 1

Heads
a lot of people are still confused about the difference between hip hop and rap. even me and J1's videos did not put a finger directly on the issue. here's a more objective view on the differences between the two:

-hip hop is the name of the original culture and musical genre

-hip hop birthed and/or adapted 5 "elements": (in chronological order) writing (known to the mainstream world as graffiti), DJing, BBoying/girling, MCing, beatboxing...

-"hip hop" as a term was coined around 1976 by Cowboy from the then Furious Four

-the musical aspect of hip hop began to gain momentum in the late 70's when acts like Afrika Bambaataa, Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, The Cold Crush Brothers, The Funky Four Plus One, etc., began to gain popularity locally.

-the MCs in hip hop, who started, literally, as Masters of Ceremony, developed a technique they called "rapping" which was slang at the time for talking...

-though the term they used for their technique was "rapping," they still were considered MCs because rapping was only a part of their repertoire.

-in 1978 or 1979, Grandmaster Caz of the Cold Crush Brothers was talking to a young, aspiring MC. the kid wanted to check Caz's rhyme book and Caz decided just to give it to him.

-by mid to late 79, this kid took up the emcee name of Big Bank Hank and Sugarhill Records heard and signed him and 2 others...

-Hank and his friends became the second act to rap on record, however, just as King Tim III before them, they did it without a DJ. this was the beginning of commercial rap and the separation of hip hop and rap.

-the differences that separate the two are as follows:

• commercial rap neglects and/or ignores the other aspects of hip hop both as a music and a culture
  • commercial rap is done for money. hip hop is done for the love of the culture and art...
  • corporate trend setters dictate what commercial rap sounds like and the culture around it looks like. hip hop is dictated by the people who are involved in it.

this all does not go to say hip hop cannot be on the radio and artists can't make money. i am not the typical "underground or nothing" type of cat but i can weed out a fraud pretty well. there are plenty of mainstream artists that i like a lot. it is the corporate/commercial rap that i am against, not mainstream.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

xreb2008 Date: Saturday, 07/Feb/09, 3:18 PM | Message # 2

Emcees
I think Grandmaster Caz wrote Rappers Delight, right?

Random Hip Hop facts:

-Rakim was still in high school when paid in full dropped.

-LL Cool J and Kool Moe Dee came to blows one night backstage.

-"The bridge is over" was a Marley Marl beat that Krs One and Scott La Rock found in a studio.

-2pac was robbed and shot by some of Supreme's boys.

-"I got a story to tell" was vaguelly based on a real life incident Biggie had when he was slipping pipe to John Starks' woman.

-Big Pun hit Jay Z over the head with a bottle in a club.

-Biz Markie produced most of EPMD's first album.

-Rakim recorded a dis cut aimed at 'Kane for "let the rhythm hit 'em" and had a verse on the title track itself aimed at him. 'Kane heard about this and called Rakim to squash it and Rakim went on to scrap the track and remove the verse.

-Diamond D and his old late 80's group Ultimate Force with Master Rob recorded a full album with Jazzy Jay which has never been heard.

Message edited by xreb2008 - Saturday, 07/Feb/09, 3:20 PM
eboyd Date: Saturday, 07/Feb/09, 3:25 PM | Message # 3

Heads
that's cool, but we already have a thread for that stuff. this is just for schooling cats.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

EmSeeD Date: Saturday, 07/Feb/09, 4:55 PM | Message # 4

Heads
whoa those are some of the best hip hop facts I've heard.

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
eboyd Date: Saturday, 07/Feb/09, 6:09 PM | Message # 5

Heads
thank you. i wrote this stuff down myself. or are you referring to xreb's?

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

EmSeeD Date: Saturday, 07/Feb/09, 6:11 PM | Message # 6

Heads
lol yeah but both were great.

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
s0dr2 Date: Saturday, 07/Feb/09, 6:25 PM | Message # 7

OGs
Quote (xreb2008)
-Biz Markie produced most of EPMD's first album.

o.O coooooooooool how do u no

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Uncharted Date: Sunday, 08/Feb/09, 5:50 PM | Message # 8

Emcees
Quote (xreb2008)
Big Pun hit Jay Z over the head with a bottle in a club

LMFAO

Forum » Real HIP HOP Forever » Hip Hop History/Knowledge » Setting The Record Straight: Facts About Hip Hop
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: