[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
  • Page 2 of 2
  • «
Forum moderator: ThaScience, Aristotle, El_Matador  
Forum » Real HIP HOP Forever » Hip Hop History/Knowledge » Origins of the Word Emceeing and Rap (where did each word come from?)
Origins of the Word Emceeing and Rap
eboyd Date: Saturday, 07/Nov/09, 5:02 PM | Message # 16

Heads
Well I know about the stolen rhyme book but he didn't come up with the track title. In fact he made a response called "EMCEE's Delight" a few years later so idk.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Chinita Date: Saturday, 07/Nov/09, 5:07 PM | Message # 17

Heads
well it said they borrowed the rhyme book, did they steal it? oh lordy lol

eboyd Date: Saturday, 07/Nov/09, 5:21 PM | Message # 18

Heads
I apologize. I remember speaking to someone who asked Caz about this in person. I remember him telling me that Caz actually was upset, possibly annoyed with Big Bank Hank who kept asking for some rhymes, so he just tossed his rhyme book at him and was like "here, read it if you want!" and Hank took it and made his verse on "Rapper's Delight" out of it.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Chinita Date: Saturday, 07/Nov/09, 5:59 PM | Message # 19

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
I apologize. I remember speaking to someone who asked Caz about this in person. I remember him telling me that Caz actually was upset, possibly annoyed with Big Bank Hank who kept asking for some rhymes, so he just tossed his rhyme book at him and was like "here, read it if you want!" and Hank took it and made his verse on "Rapper's Delight" out of it.

wow that sucks, so i guess caz never really got the credit for it..its a dirty game, i say :)

eboyd Date: Saturday, 07/Nov/09, 6:49 PM | Message # 20

Heads
It's all good though. The real representers know the truth.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Chinita Date: Saturday, 07/Nov/09, 6:55 PM | Message # 21

Heads
The truth shall set you free... ;)

EmSeeD Date: Saturday, 07/Nov/09, 6:58 PM | Message # 22

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
emceeing has been used to describe the vocal aspect of hip hop since 1973 or shortly thereafter when Coke La Rock decided to be Kool Herc's emcee.

Melle Mel says he was the first person in hip hop to call himself an MC, are you sure you didn't mean when Melle Mel became DJ Grandmaster Flash's MC? coz Grandmaster Flash says he was the first person to make DJaying to make the turntable into an instrument. Even though Kool Herc started it, i think Flash made it more advanced

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
eboyd Date: Saturday, 07/Nov/09, 7:29 PM | Message # 23

Heads
Technically it was Grandwizard Theodore who first turned the turntable into an instrument. I've noticed GMF is sort of cocky when I have read or heard him speak. Just like KRS he seems to think he's done everything for hip hop. The term emcee was a generic term that applied as soon as the first hip hop vocalist emerged. Yes, Melle Mel was the emcee who broke emcees in hip hop away from MC's in general, but the term emcee applied immediately, even when Kool Herc was emceeing his first parties. His Jamaican style rhyme-toasting was considered the origin of hip hop emceeing.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

EmSeeD Date: Sunday, 08/Nov/09, 9:01 PM | Message # 24

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
herefore, hip hop is the culture and movement that spawned both rap music and hip hop music, and you may be able to even put them in the same category, but because of this, we can distinguish between hip hop MUSIC and rap MUSIC, and now that time has gone on so long and carried rap MUSIC so far away from hip hop CULTURE, we can now safely say that rap MUSIC is a part of pop and mainstream CULTURE

so what if a dope emcee becomes famous and goes pop for a few years, can he ever be considered hip hop again?

for example if this song was made in 96 and Jay-Z wasn't famous would you consider this hip hop or rap? or if this exact song was made by an underground rapper would you consider it hip hop or rap or pop?

Adam Date: Sunday, 08/Nov/09, 9:03 PM | Message # 25

B-Girls
I think jay did really good with that song. Definitely hip hop for me.

I JUST EXPLODED INTO RAINBOWS AND LOLLIPOPS!
EmSeeD Date: Sunday, 08/Nov/09, 9:06 PM | Message # 26

Heads
Quote (Adam)
I think jay did really good with that song. Definitely hip hop for me.

yeah me too, i can't say it isn't just because he's famous

eboyd Date: Sunday, 08/Nov/09, 9:21 PM | Message # 27

Heads
I already addressed this:

1. Artists can range from pop to hip hop on a spectrum and there is no clear line where one begins and the other ends, so even Soulja Boy, if he tried, could make a hip hop track and he could even still go back to pop after that just like a Jazz artist can make a funk song and go back to Jazz.

2. Pop isn't necessarily bad. For example, I consider "Rapper's Delight" to be more of a pop song than a hip hop song and it is more pop than "My Philosophy" by KRS-One, but even though I like KRS's lyrics better, I preferred the track "Rapper's Delight" overall. That doesn't change that it is more of a pop song.

3. I already stated, some underground artists are just as much if not more pop oriented than these mainstream artists. Mainstream does not equate to pop/commercial and pop/commercial does not equate to mainstream.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Menace Date: Sunday, 08/Nov/09, 9:50 PM | Message # 28

Heads
man Jay-z gone bottom whit his lyrics i just listened to his latest album and he just fucking sucks i mean damn man his rhymes are weak i just wanted to air this out man he lowered his lyrical standards

and overall i agree whit Erik

J-Breakz Date: Friday, 01/Jan/10, 6:38 PM | Message # 29

Heads
MC: Master of Ceremonies

livin life like some cheesy movie
Forum » Real HIP HOP Forever » Hip Hop History/Knowledge » Origins of the Word Emceeing and Rap (where did each word come from?)
  • Page 2 of 2
  • «
Search: