[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: El_Matador, ThaScience, Aristotle  
Forum » Real HIP HOP Forever » Elements (DJ,Graff Art, BBoy,Bbox) » DJ Cam - Mad Blunted Jazz (Don't let this one get away!)
DJ Cam - Mad Blunted Jazz
1. 100 - 91 [ 2 ] [100.00%]
2. 90 - 81 [ 0 ] [0.00%]
3. 80 - 71 [ 0 ] [0.00%]
4. 70 - 61 [ 0 ] [0.00%]
5. 60 - 51 [ 0 ] [0.00%]
6. 50 - 41 [ 0 ] [0.00%]
7. 40 - 31 [ 0 ] [0.00%]
8. 30 - 21 [ 0 ] [0.00%]
9. 20 - 11 [ 0 ] [0.00%]
10. 10 - 0 [ 0 ] [0.00%]
Answers total: 2
Kiba Date: Saturday, 11/Jul/09, 10:22 PM | Message # 1

Emcees

9 years after buying I'm STILL playing this cd. I think released back in 96 as a two disc set including some live interpretations and mixes, this was a cd that came out on the heels of Guru's Jazzamatazz and loads of acid jazz and trip-hop artists that were just getting bigger and better. Not to be overshadowed (ha!), of course today Cam has quite the resume of tunes. From the Loa Project to compilation pieces "The French Connection" (oh yeah, he hails from France), to even his stellar DJ kicks where he takes flavors from this and loads of other artists in Europe and of course, Urban life in genearl.

I really dig this. It starts out with Gangsta $hit right after the intro - if you have St. Germain Des Pres Cafe, the cut "No GOvernment"... sampled the ENTIRE base line from this. The title track is relaxed and has a dope bass dropping bridge where the tempo of the track is changed altogether, getting deeper with keyboards. "Suckers Never Play That" will be familiar to anyone that's got his DJ Kicks cd and remembers the mixed up "Milan" cut towards the end of the cd. But also on the disc is the sexy, slick and smooth "Sang-Lien" with French vocals and a loop sound to it, tailer made for cruisin' through the city in the late nights. Those aren't the only good cuts - "Dieu Reconnaitra Les Siens" actually became one of the bigger chillout tunes in the late 90's with its free flowing beat and gentle vocals and, again, a change of pace in the bridge. CD 2 is the live recording - from 11-30-95. The live disc is a "shaken not stirred" blend with excellent transition from track to track. Disc one also available as "Underground Vibes" on Cam's independant Colombia/Inflammable label with a remix of "Dieu Reconnaitra Les Siens".

I definitely recommend this - especially to anyone that's a long time Cam fan. He once said: "Hip-Hop is some of the most beautiful music." and I'd have to agree with him. He's a DJ that managed to put a sort of mood and feeling into the works here that paint a picture of the city into your head (albeit a dark one). If you dig this, check out his other released "Liquid Hip-Hop" and of course, Guru's Jazzamatazz. You might also want to check out a few of the "Future Sounds of Jazz" sets that were released on Compost Records along with albums by Amon Tobin (Permutation in particular), Minus 8's early stuff (Beyond, Beyond), DJ Shadow, Mr. Scruff and DJ Krush.
All in all, this one is a bit dated but I still enjoy many of the tracks.

100%

I looked at the moon so full and so bright
And then at the fireplace with its flickering light
And realised why this world will never be right

Message edited by Kiba - Saturday, 11/Jul/09, 10:25 PM
Forum » Real HIP HOP Forever » Elements (DJ,Graff Art, BBoy,Bbox) » DJ Cam - Mad Blunted Jazz (Don't let this one get away!)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: