[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Forum moderator: Aristotle, s0dr2  
Forum » Real HIP HOP Forever » Hip Hop News » Hip Hop Legend Chilly B Passed Away
Hip Hop Legend Chilly B Passed Away
Chinita Date: Thursday, 04/Mar/10, 10:28 AM | Message # 1

Heads
Hip Hop Legend Chilly B Passed Away Of A Stroke, from the 80's group Newcleus (R.I.P)

RIP Chilly B (left)
Robert Crafton III, a bassist, songwriter and rapper whose rhythms and rhymes helped the 1980s hip-hop group Newcleus redefine the sound of electro-pop, died on Feb. 23 in Brooklyn. He was 47.

The cause was a stroke, said Ben Cenac, who founded Newcleus with Mr. Crafton and two others. Mr. Cenac said that Mr. Crafton had been treated for diabetes and kidney problems for some time.

Starting in 1976 as a Bedford-Stuyvesant D.J. crew called Jam-On Productions, Newcleus developed a futuristic sound that combined funk, hip-hop and electronica. Computerized drums, old-school raps and cartoonish speeded-up vocals propelled the group’s signature hit, “Jam on It” (Sunnyview), to No. 56 on the Billboard pop-singles chart in 1984.

Newcleus “put out something way before its time,” said Red Alert, the influential D.J. who helped bring hip-hop from the streets to the radio. “They produced not only a hip-hop sound but also a dance-slash-pop sound that you can still hear in pop music to this day.”

Newcleus was a family group (Mr. Cenac, known as Cozmo D; his wife, Yvette Cook, or Lady E; his cousin Monique Angevin, or Nique D; and her future husband, Mr. Crafton, known as Chilly B), that emerged in the post-“Rapper’s Delight” era, when recorded hip-hop was still in its infancy.

Afrika Bambaataa charted a path into the future in 1982 with “Planet Rock,” which interpolated the synthesizer-driven groove of the German band Kraftwerk’s Euro-pop hit “Trans-Europe Express.” The worldwide success of “Planet Rock” spawned a subgenre known as electro-rap, epitomized by groups like the Jonzun Crew from Boston (“Pack Jam”) and Newcleus, whose debut single, “Jam-On Revenge (The Wikki Wikki Song),” was released in 1983 on the small May Hew label.

Like Afrika Bambaataa and Kraftwerk, Newcleus made music that anticipated a high-tech future. Decades before Wikipedia became a household name, Newcleus introduced “Wikki wikki wikki” to the pop lexicon by using it as onomatopoeia to denote a D.J.’s scratching a needle back and forth on a record.

“We were into the electronic sound,” Mr. Cenac said, “but in our stuff you’ll always hear a funky bass line.” The bass was Chilly B’s specialty.

“Chilly was the musician in the group,” said Mr. Cenac, a keyboardist, who grew up on the same block as Mr. Crafton and first jammed with him in a neighborhood band called Thunderfunk. “We were both self-taught, but he had a more seasoned musicianship in his playing. When he played bass, you knew it was him.”

In 1984 the group took part in Fresh Fest, a nationwide concert tour that proved hip-hop acts could sell out the same arenas as rock stars. Newcleus shared the bill with Run-DMC, Whodini, the Fat Boys and Kurtis Blow.

Mr. Crafton’s last performance with Newcleus was in June at a multi-artist Madison Square Garden show called Freestyle Extravaganza.

Robert Crafton III was born in Brooklyn on May 16, 1962. His first marriage ended in divorce. He is survived by his wife, Valerie; two sisters, Lorriane Crafton and Angela Murray; and four sons, Justin, Jason, Joshua and Isaiah.

HateMainstreamMusic Date: Thursday, 04/Mar/10, 10:55 AM | Message # 2

Emcees
wow now i feel like one of those assholes who only knows this group because someone died in it... but it's great music... their music's very interesting... like electronic almost...

Added (04/Mar/10, 10:55 Am)
---------------------------------------------

Quote (LadyChinita)
dance-slash-pop

yeah like that... very cool! well then r.i.p chilly b :'(

abanks47 Date: Thursday, 04/Mar/10, 12:59 PM | Message # 3

Emcees
damn thats weak. seems like they are gunnin for hip hop this week. i hope that death in 3s dont happen

RIP

A WELL DRESSED SKELETON SLOWLY CUTS YOUR THROAT.

"I Have No Fear Whatsoever of Anybody or Anything" -Malcolm X

“those who consider themselves the most adamant adherents of “real” hip-hop can also be the least knowledgeable.” –Adilifu Nama; an excert from his perception of Nas’s “Genesis”

eboyd Date: Thursday, 04/Mar/10, 4:19 PM | Message # 4

Heads
damn man :( RIP

^^^ one of the best jams of the 80's

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

eboyd Date: Thursday, 04/Mar/10, 4:20 PM | Message # 5

Heads
Quote (abanks47)
damn thats weak. seems like they are gunnin for hip hop this week. i hope that death in 3s dont happen

RIP

why assume 3 to be possible when 2 haven't even died yet?

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

abanks47 Date: Thursday, 04/Mar/10, 6:27 PM | Message # 6

Emcees
Quote (eboyd)
why assume 3 to be possible when 2 haven't even died yet?

usually celebrity deaths come in 3s. and its just weird that guru had his problems this week. i hope it doesnt go down like that

A WELL DRESSED SKELETON SLOWLY CUTS YOUR THROAT.

"I Have No Fear Whatsoever of Anybody or Anything" -Malcolm X

“those who consider themselves the most adamant adherents of “real” hip-hop can also be the least knowledgeable.” –Adilifu Nama; an excert from his perception of Nas’s “Genesis”

HateMainstreamMusic Date: Thursday, 04/Mar/10, 7:36 PM | Message # 7

Emcees
electro kicks ass i've been listening to a lot of it now :)... it's electronic hip hop... awesome... and i never saw newcleus ever before ever...

so before i found world class wrecking cru by looking up dres early stuff... through them i started to listen to some electro... and then just now... i saw newcleus on the related videos thing! in the same day i you put this up chinita i found them on my own! weird huh? i was listening to this and saw newcleus on the related videos... idk this is a bit weird lol... i NEVER heard of newcleus.. then in the same day randomly looking up new music i find them on related videos... i just can't get over it lol

MashPotato Date: Thursday, 04/Mar/10, 8:20 PM | Message # 8

DJs
Backwards skate. Couples only. Loop the lot one more time before heading home... :'(

Save Time Travel
Register at chess.com (free). Send me your username. I'll challenge you.
Chinita Date: Thursday, 04/Mar/10, 10:07 PM | Message # 9

Heads
Quote (MashPotato)
Backwards skate. Couples only. Loop the lot one more time before heading home.

haha amazing how they still play these electro hip hop tracks in the roller skating rinks even today..

this was my fav for rollerskating and they still play this in the rinks.. wow

Quote (HateMainstreamMusic)
so before i found world class wrecking cru by looking up dres early stuff... through them i started to listen to some electro... and then just now... i saw newcleus on the related videos thing! in the same day i you put this up chinita i found them on my own! weird huh? i was listening to this and saw newcleus on the related videos... idk this is a bit weird lol... i NEVER heard of newcleus.. then in the same day randomly looking up new music i find them on related videos... i just can't get over it lol

haha wow thats classic.. i'm so glad u are enjoying the classics of electro hip hop, thats what we use to breakdance to also..lots of electric hip hop was used by dj's for the breaks in there, also africa bambattaa. i have some posted in this thread..
http://realhiphop4ever.ucoz.com/forum/30-1525-1

some others that were popular and there are so many more classics..
great beat

king of the beats :) love this
Pumpkin & The All Stars - Here Comes That Beat (1984)

breaking

UFO - ESG 1981, south bronx story, love this break

this electro hip hop break for breakdancing was the shi**t and for skating

some more 80's hip hop
and check out the old school thread for more or post more

Old School Classic Hip Hop 1970-1989
http://realhiphop4ever.ucoz.com/forum/30-1616-1

HateMainstreamMusic Date: Thursday, 04/Mar/10, 10:13 PM | Message # 10

Emcees
i've been enjoying music madness by mantronix tonight :)... great album... and of course world class wrecking cru... and man parrish... i'm checking out the ones you posted as we speak :)

Chinita Date: Thursday, 04/Mar/10, 10:25 PM | Message # 11

Heads
check out the video i made of the man parish, boogie down bronx, i added some great bronx pics and hip hop..this is ft. mc cool john ski, i talk to him on youtube, he has an account but its not hip hop..he spreads history knowledge, he loves the video :)

boogie down bronx, hope u like my vid :)
Boogie Down Bronx - Man Parrish Ft. Freeze Force (MC John Ski)

HateMainstreamMusic Date: Thursday, 04/Mar/10, 10:30 PM | Message # 12

Emcees
ok i gave each one a quick listen (like 1-2 minutes some of them the whole song) i gotta say i liked my stuff better... kinda dissapointed with the 80's... oh well i still love the 90's :)... thanks anyway...

naw i loved it lolololololol... shit's crazy!!!! thank you for posting all those... did you actually believe that? if you did i feel like an asshole... :)... but anyway man it's like a whole new world... i love it.. elctro- hop... i like that freestyle one a lot...
Quote (LadyChinita)
love this break
me too

Chinita Date: Thursday, 04/Mar/10, 10:38 PM | Message # 13

Heads
ok i gave each one a quick listen (like 1-2 minutes some of them the whole song) i gotta say i liked my stuff better... kinda dissapointed with the 80's... oh well i still love the 90's :)... thanks anyway...

hahahaha ur nuts, wow u had me fooled but i always understand everybody has different taste but that had me buggin for a sec hahahah

naw i loved it lolololololol... shit's crazy!!!! thank you for posting all those... did you actually believe that? if you did i feel like an asshole... :)... but anyway man it's like a whole new world... i love it.. elctro- hop... i like that freestyle one a lot...

hahaha ur f****ked up big time LOL

HateMainstreamMusic Date: Thursday, 04/Mar/10, 10:43 PM | Message # 14

Emcees
yeah thats the man parrish one i was listening over and over and before... i like your video... i guess i always had a thing for electronic music too... so that helped my taste for it... i'm not the biggest fan of the more modern electro i looked up... i like this old school electro the best...

sorry bout that... i couldn't help myself :)

man i was having a bad day until this... :)

Chinita Date: Thursday, 04/Mar/10, 10:50 PM | Message # 15

Heads
yeah thats the man parrish one i was listening over and over and before... i like your video... i guess i always had a thing for electronic music too... so that helped my taste for it... i'm not the biggest fan of the more modern electro i looked up... i like this old school electro the best...

well its not the same, that back then was hip hop we breakdanced to, electro now is different, its trance and techno music. if u want to find something similiar nowadays u look for "break beats" or breaks and you'll find this, for many youngins that what to find old school electro funk/ hip hop like this i suggest searching electro hip hop because most will add that on their tags or old school breakdance

sorry bout that... i couldn't help myself

hahaha its cool, i have the same crazy sense of humor but sometimes people don't get it hahaha

man i was having a bad day until this..

:) that had me cracking the hell up LOL

Forum » Real HIP HOP Forever » Hip Hop News » Hip Hop Legend Chilly B Passed Away
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search: