[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Forum moderator: s0dr2, El_Matador  
Forum » Real HIP HOP Forever » General Hip Hop Discussion » Public Enemy, It Takes A Nation VS The DOC, No One Can Do It (No One Can Do It Better vs It Takes a Nation of Millions...)
Public Enemy, It Takes A Nation VS The DOC, No One Can Do It
EmSeeD Date: Saturday, 18/Jun/11, 6:22 AM | Message # 1

Heads
Previous: RHHF's Top 5 Albums from 1984 - 2010

Public Enemy - It Takes A Nation of Millions vs The D.O.C. - No One Can Do It Better

VS

VS

*note the track "No One Can Do It Better" is missing from the DOC Playlist

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
Watcher Date: Saturday, 18/Jun/11, 6:32 AM | Message # 2

Watchers
Loved the DOC LP but Nation was an Atomic Bomb.
Believe the Hype. PE wins KO in 3 secs.
s0dr2 Date: Saturday, 18/Jun/11, 6:47 AM | Message # 3

OGs
man ill be honest with you as much as i love public enemy, no one can do it better was more of my love to me back in the days...yo you remember back in the days? The Formula's my joint

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

EverGlazed Date: Saturday, 18/Jun/11, 7:54 AM | Message # 4

Writers
DOC....never really been a fan of PE

http://www.youtube.com/user/EverGlazed?feature=mhum
Treach Date: Saturday, 18/Jun/11, 8:46 AM | Message # 5

OGs
the doc...not feeling either of albums too much tho, both have some dope tracks but..

"We took pride in intellect and skill
Now you gotta have some sex appeal to get a record deal"
- K-RINO
ilikebacon3000 Date: Saturday, 18/Jun/11, 11:34 AM | Message # 6

Emcees
PE but shit i dunno... i love the doc too.. but PE.

Life's a bitch and I'm just along for the ride.
eboyd Date: Saturday, 18/Jun/11, 2:40 PM | Message # 7

Heads
it takes a nation...

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Menace Date: Saturday, 18/Jun/11, 5:49 PM | Message # 8

Heads
Public Enemy - It Takes A Nation of Millions

Ratmn Date: Saturday, 18/Jun/11, 7:55 PM | Message # 9

DJs
PE had a great album, but The D.O.C's No One Can Do It Better, for me, gets my vote.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Bape Date: Saturday, 18/Jun/11, 7:57 PM | Message # 10

Emcees
P.E.

Greeny Date: Saturday, 18/Jun/11, 10:34 PM | Message # 11

OGs
PE! Rebels without a pause...

:)
EmSeeD Date: Sunday, 19/Jun/11, 1:33 AM | Message # 12

Heads
if it wasn't elimination it would be a tie for me, public enemy's album has a much greater message and subject matter, but d.o.c's was lyrically better by far and i liked the production better too. i have to give it to The D.O.C.

eboyd Date: Sunday, 19/Jun/11, 5:22 AM | Message # 13

Heads
Quote (EmSeeD)
if it wasn't elimination it would be a tie for me, public enemy's album has a much greater message and subject matter, but d.o.c's was lyrically better by far and i liked the production better too. i have to give it to The D.O.C.

i disagree completely. while i would say i only gave it to "Nation of Millions..." by a slim margin because i feel that The DOC and Chuck D have comparably dope deliveries (though Chuck still edges him out by a bit), production-wise i felt that Nation of Millions was actually superior, especially considering that was a time when Dre was still finding his style and the LA artists who were smart and wanted to make good music actually had PE's production core produce albums for them (ie: Amerikkka's Most Wanted by Ice Cube). also, lyrically speaking, Chuck D has far more memorable lyrics than The DOC does, regardless of either of their messages. both classic hip hop albums for sure though.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

EmSeeD Date: Sunday, 19/Jun/11, 5:28 AM | Message # 14

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
LA artists who were smart and wanted to make good music actually had PE's production core produce albums for them (ie: Amerikkka's Most Wanted by Ice Cube)

come on man you know ice cube only went to them after he left N.W.A and had no choice, we can disagree on the production and lyrics though, i don't think it was a time when dre was still finding his style because it was the 3rd full album dre had produced and was more funky for me than P.E.'s album, when i say lyrics though i'm only talking about the rhyme schemes, Chuck D had a better message in his lyrics but his rhyme schemes were very simple even for their time, only rhyming the last word of each bar, while The D.O.C. was following Rakim and BDK by using internal and multi rhyme schemes back when it was still very much new thing

eboyd Date: Sunday, 19/Jun/11, 1:10 PM | Message # 15

Heads
i think you need to listen to Chuck D a bit more closely. he's far from simple. he has a style completely his own. he wasn't using an old school flow either. check out some of the rhymes from that album:

"Yes - the rhythm, the rebel
Without a pause - I'm lowering my level
The hard rhymer - where you never been I'm in
You want stylin' - you know it's time again
D the enemy - tellin you to hear it
They praised the music - this time they play the lyrics
Some say no to the album, the show
Bum rush the sound I made a year ago
I guess you know - you guess I'm just a radical
Not a sabbatical - yes to make it critical
The only part your body should be parting to
Panther power on the hour from the rebel to you

Radio - suckers never play me
On the mix - they just O.K. me
Now known and grown when they're clocking my zone it's known
Snakin' and takin' everything that a brother owns
Hard - my calling card
Recorded and ordered - supporter of Chesimard
Loud and proud kickin' live next poet supreme
Loop a troop, bazooka, the scheme
Flavor - a rebel in his own mind
Supporter of my rhyme
Designed to scatter a line of suckers who claim I do crime
They're on my time"

there are multi-syllable rhymes and internal rhymes all over these two verses from "Rebel Without A Pause". Chuck D was and always will be one of the most unique emcees of all time and he was one of the first to get lyrically complex. remember also, this was 1988. this was around the same time that MC Hammer was popular and Kool Moe Dee was still considered one of the most complex rhymers of all time lol. Chuck D may not rhyme like BDK and Rakim, but the fact that he avoided that in a time when that style was becoming popular and he still managed to be complex, witty, and socially conscious and gained as much if not more fame than the others i mentioned is enough to make us recognize him as one of the greatest emcees of all time, both lyrically speaking and in terms of social awareness. he's unique and complex and that is what makes him so dope. in fact his style was so dope that multiple emcees, including Michael Franti, tried to sound like him.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Forum » Real HIP HOP Forever » General Hip Hop Discussion » Public Enemy, It Takes A Nation VS The DOC, No One Can Do It (No One Can Do It Better vs It Takes a Nation of Millions...)
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search: