New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Forum moderator: TheWatcher, Menace, I_Guy, Aristotle  
Forum » Knowledge » Religious/Philosophical Debate » God on the Brain
God on the Brain
Menace Date: Friday, 21/Aug/09, 1:33 PM | Message # 1

Heads
This documentary film examines new research into the human brain and asks are we programmed to believe in God?

MAK_The_Lucid_Tongue Date: Friday, 21/Aug/09, 4:24 PM | Message # 2

Emcees
Interesting.....

"UNTIL THEY STOP ME, BURY, MURDER ME OR DROP ME, I GOT...THUG LUV FOR MY NATIONWIDE POSSE"

Menace Date: Friday, 21/Aug/09, 4:39 PM | Message # 3

Heads
i gotta say that our next step in our evolution might be loosing this psychological condition that we ( religion and God ) have and grasping the the complexity of nature

ritesofpasage Date: Sunday, 23/Aug/09, 7:11 PM | Message # 4

DJs
You don't need all this rationale if you want to question why we do something.

If you don't believe you don't believe. Discrediting those who believe just demonstrates how strong the foundation on which a side of that arguement is.

Complexity?

Check out my melody faithfulness is the fidelity of my soundtrack to that of the heavenlies.....
Menace Date: Sunday, 23/Aug/09, 7:28 PM | Message # 5

Heads
Quote (ritesofpasage)
If you don't believe you don't believe. Discrediting those who believe just demonstrates how strong the foundation on which a side of that arguement is.

discrediting just for the sake of non believing is blind non believing fundamentalism is found in rationalism too a non dogmatic view of things is that what man needs people always isolate themselves in their beliefs atheists reject anything whit regard to religion and religion reject anything in regard to science atheists fails to understand what role played religion in our evolution and religion fails to understand what role science plays in explaining our evolution people isolate themselves in their dogmatic views and whit regard to the complexity of nature i was implying my Nietzschean view that i stated in the "purpose of existence " thread.

I_Guy Date: Monday, 24/Aug/09, 7:22 PM | Message # 6

Heads
Quote (Menace)
atheists fails to understand what role played religion in our evolution

True, the effects of religion have been equally good as they were bad in history, but the good eventually advanced us in a very slow grueling way. When science came into the picture, it replaced the role of religion in advancing society. The problem is people don't want to let go of traditional religion as science constantly debunks it. So they reject science. So now we have this reverse effect. Religion hasn't been a problem for society until it started ridiculing science a few hundred years ago. It continues until this day. That's why I hate religion now. I understand it's role in the past, but now its just a lead weight dragging down the intellect of man. In the past, religion separated man from all other creatures and helped man elevate his understandings and strive for something better than what nature could offer. But now we have a grasp on the whole dimension so religion is no longer needed. But I respect it's historical role in a certain sense, yet there is still disdain for the horrors it has produced in the past. However in the present, religion in its current state, I despise it.

We all know that each of our end is near; the question is do we accept the end of our living existence, or do we accept our existence as dead men...
ritesofpasage Date: Tuesday, 25/Aug/09, 7:20 AM | Message # 7

DJs
Science is also an institution that has produced horrors no doubt and science is an outgrowth of religion. But science has not outpaced religion in advancing society. What is society advancing to? Our technology has not moved the whole to utopia. But our religion has allowed us to envision it.

Check out my melody faithfulness is the fidelity of my soundtrack to that of the heavenlies.....
Menace Date: Tuesday, 25/Aug/09, 10:58 AM | Message # 8

Heads
Quote (ritesofpasage)
Science is also an institution that has produced horrors no doubt and science is an outgrowth of religion. But science has not outpaced religion in advancing society. What is society advancing to? Our technology has not moved the whole to utopia. But our religion has allowed us to envision it.

Utopia was never imagined on earth in all religions the modern concept of Utopia came from the Age Of Enlightenment thinkers those thinkers that pulled out humanity from the "dark ages" also called middle ages those rationalists that made the world a better place that squashed THEOCRACY and monarchy when was better for humanity ? why you people always dream of a past better life ?? when was better ? when chattel slavery was in effect ?? when theocracy ruled as a form of government ?? when ?? ritesofpasage i don't wanna sound rude or arrogant but HISTORY speaks for itself religion had her time 4800 years of religious domination let science and logic now lead humanity

I_Guy Date: Wednesday, 26/Aug/09, 1:08 AM | Message # 9

Heads
Quote (ritesofpasage)
But science has not outpaced religion in advancing society

It definitely has.

Quote (ritesofpasage)
What is society advancing to

A more intellectual, sophisticated, and ideal well being.

Quote (ritesofpasage)
Our technology has not moved the whole to utopia. But our religion has allowed us to envision it.

Science allows for the vision as well, but it doesn't make a belief system out of it like religion does.

Quote (ritesofpasage)
Science is also an institution that has produced horrors no doubt

Debatable.

Quote (Menace)
Utopia was never imagined on earth in all religions the modern concept of Utopia came from the Age Of Enlightenment thinkers those thinkers that pulled out humanity from the "dark ages" also called middle ages those rationalists that made the world a better place that squashed THEOCRACY and monarchy

Exactly. The Age Of Enlightenment was the dawn of more modern philosophy and the dawn of atheism on a major scale among big thinkers. The world was headed for intellectual doom. If we don't be careful, we can repeat our mistake if this religious fundamentalism continues in the western world. It could be argued that the U.S. has (or is) entering a mini intellectual Dark Age.

Quote (Menace)
religion had her time 4800 years of religious domination let science and logic now lead humanity

Science and logic hasn't led us astray yet. It's too dependable.

We all know that each of our end is near; the question is do we accept the end of our living existence, or do we accept our existence as dead men...
EmSeeD Date: Wednesday, 26/Aug/09, 3:29 AM | Message # 10

Heads
Quote (I_Guy)
Quote (ritesofpasage)
Science is also an institution that has produced horrors no doubt

Debatable.

its people that produced the horrors, we have used science for bad things too, more advanced weapsons etc

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
ritesofpasage Date: Saturday, 29/Aug/09, 9:28 AM | Message # 11

DJs
Quote (I_Guy)
Science and logic hasn't led us astray yet. It's too dependable.

Science is not dependable. Because of our current lack of knowledge we are always discovering new laws. Leaning on what we know through our unreliable perceptions will always fall short in establishing truth.

Quote (I_Guy)

A more intellectual, sophisticated, and ideal well being.

History teaches otherwise. Everything is in a cycle. What cycle do you see is different now from before.

Quote (I_Guy)
Science allows for the vision as well, but it doesn't make a belief system out of it like religion does.

Everyone has a measure of faith. If you believe in science then that is your faith. Just because your faith is not in religion doesn't mean there is not a belief system and it will be encompassing of all views.

Added (29/Aug/09, 9:28 Am)
---------------------------------------------
It is people who produce the horrors. There is nothing wrong with having knowledge. There is just something wrong with having no love.

What is the science of love?
Where does love fit into science?

I_Guy Date: Saturday, 29/Aug/09, 3:56 PM | Message # 12

Heads
Quote (ritesofpasage)
Science is not dependable.

Then toss your computer out the window.

Quote (ritesofpasage)
Because of our current lack of knowledge we are always discovering new laws. Leaning on what we know through our unreliable perceptions will always fall short in establishing truth.

We will always lack knowledge because it is impossible to know everything there is to know. We may never find "truth" through science, but science will always set us on the path toward truth, unlike religion.

Quote (ritesofpasage)
Everything is in a cycle. What cycle do you see is different now from before.

True, things do tend to go through cycles. At this point we seem to be entering another Dark Age among the common man.

Quote (ritesofpasage)
There is nothing wrong with having knowledge. There is just something wrong with having no love.

What is the science of love?
Where does love fit into science?

Love may not exist. The delusive elements of the idea of "love" can be misleading when given a label. We're basically not understanding what love really is and simplifying the complex elements into a simple ambiguous concept with the label "love." And, no love doesn't fit into science, but love isn't necessary in the world in the first place. Love actually causes more psychological harm than any good.

ilikebacon3000 Date: Saturday, 29/Aug/09, 10:39 PM | Message # 13

Emcees
Quote (I_Guy)
At this point we seem to be entering another Dark Age among the common man.

Oh great.... What do you mean?
Explain in detail? :o

Life's a bitch and I'm just along for the ride.
Boner-Jamz-11 Date: Sunday, 30/Aug/09, 8:55 PM | Message # 14

Rappers
It means that we are all gonna die!!! Have you seen the tv commercials talking about 2012!!?? They're making lottery so that selected people will have a chance to live!! Haha rofl

#TeamHipster
#SWAGSWAG

TUMBLR CLICK CLICK CLICK!
ritesofpasage Date: Sunday, 30/Aug/09, 9:50 PM | Message # 15

DJs
Quote (I_Guy)
Love may not exist. The delusive elements of the idea of "love" can be misleading when given a label. We're basically not understanding what love really is and simplifying the complex elements into a simple ambiguous concept with the label "love." And, no love doesn't fit into science, but love isn't necessary in the world in the first place. Love actually causes more psychological harm than any good.

For all of your ability to construct and present your ideas it is a shame you do not know love.

Forum » Knowledge » Religious/Philosophical Debate » God on the Brain
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search: