[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
  • Page 2 of 2
  • «
Forum moderator: TheWatcher, Menace, I_Guy, Aristotle  
Forum » Knowledge » Religious/Philosophical Debate » Miracles/Unexplainable Phenomena or Simply UnexplainED?
Miracles/Unexplainable Phenomena or Simply UnexplainED?
eboyd Date: Thursday, 31/Dec/09, 6:44 PM | Message # 16

Heads
Quote (abanks47)
none taken and i'm hearing what you're saying, i just disagree with it is all. science is the state of knowing, but there are times in life where we are in a state of unknowing. there are events that have happened in life that no man can explain without a damn time machine. science has multiple and damn near infinite possibilities though

in an absolute sense, knowledge doesn't exist. all we have is degrees of knowledge. we can be finitely knowledgeable of something to the highest degree but we still cannot have a 100% absolute knowledge of anything. everything has been tested and is testable. that is the beauty of science. that is why i say that science is explaining (or attempting to explain) the so far unexplained.

Quote (abanks47)
unexplainable - not to be accounted for or explained
If something cannot be solved for the entirety of man's existence that DOES make it unexplainable.

the finite state existence does not change unexplained phenomena into something unexplainable. now if you are implying that there are things that, no matter what we do, it is impossible to explain it, who are we to say whether or not that is true? what i can say is thinking this to be true is irrational and so for that reason, being that my main goal as a thinking being is to limit irrational thought, i don't believe it to be true.

Quote (abanks47)
I don't want to go on a long rant on this. I love music too much to want to get side tracked in this thread because I do tend to think a lot about music and some of its lyrics, I plan on posting more in here so if you really want to continue this please split the threads.

i agree. i will split this thread right now.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

eboyd Date: Thursday, 31/Dec/09, 9:13 PM | Message # 17

Heads
bump

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

abanks47 Date: Thursday, 31/Dec/09, 9:59 PM | Message # 18

Emcees
in an absolute sense, knowledge doesn't exist. all we have is degrees of knowledge. we can be finitely knowledgeable of something to the highest degree but we still cannot have a 100% absolute knowledge of anything. everything has been tested and is testable. that is the beauty of science. that is why i say that science is explaining (or attempting to explain) the so far unexplained.

Agreed, science will never explain all which is what I was attempting to get across, might have said it in a different way though

the finite state existence does not change unexplained phenomena into something unexplainable. now if you are implying that there are things that, no matter what we do, it is impossible to explain it, who are we to say whether or not that is true? what i can say is thinking this to be true is irrational and so for that reason, being that my main goal as a thinking being is to limit irrational thought, i don't believe it to be true.

that is what I am implying and i agree, who are we as humans to say what is unexplainable, but I'm seeing your point of view from my side. Who are we to say that we can explain everything (or even attempt it). we've been on this planet for how long and we are still finding new species of life all the time.
In reference to the last sentence: http://www.guardian.co.uk/environ....-guinea
^^That shit blew me away, so many new species found in one place.

What I'm saying is I'm not ignorant, nor do i hate science. I just don't like to depend on someone else for answers.

Also to be a bit more specific, when we are referring to science I am taking it more of the cliche way like chemistry type shit. when i apply the actual definition to it, we are all scientists; the simple act of learning goes to us all from birth to death so not really sure where this debate/conversation can go. We seem to have an understanding of what (maybe not in agreement) were trying to get across.

Just like to say once more, I feel there are things on this earth and off that will never be explained by man. Its a possibility that the universe is infinite and there will be things that are simply out of man's reach

A WELL DRESSED SKELETON SLOWLY CUTS YOUR THROAT.

"I Have No Fear Whatsoever of Anybody or Anything" -Malcolm X

“those who consider themselves the most adamant adherents of “real” hip-hop can also be the least knowledgeable.” –Adilifu Nama; an excert from his perception of Nas’s “Genesis”

eboyd Date: Thursday, 31/Dec/09, 11:47 PM | Message # 19

Heads
Quote (abanks47)
Who are we to say that we can explain everything (or even attempt it).

i agree. i think we should still try to find ways to explain such things though.

Quote (abanks47)
Just like to say once more, I feel there are things on this earth and off that will never be explained by man. Its a possibility that the universe is infinite and there will be things that are simply out of man's reach

you're right to assume the first part of your comment to be the likelihood, but again, even this is something that we do not know for sure. maybe someday we will find some crazy technology with which we CAN know EVERYTHING about EVERYTHING. as for the second half of your comment, maybe the universe IS infinite, however, modern science tells us that the universe is the collective of mass and energy that makes up everything that exists and that it is expanding into the infinite void further and further with each moment's pass. also, the first law of thermodynamics tells us that mass nor energy can be created or destroyed (no perpetual motion machines) but rather can only change forms. that would mean that the universe is finite to the best of our knowledge. of course all this leads us into the philosophical (and albeit possibly semantic) argument of "what is the universe?" but let's not take it there lol.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

abanks47 Date: Friday, 01/Jan/10, 0:23 AM | Message # 20

Emcees
i agree. i think we should still try to find ways to explain such things though.

I think its naive to try to understand everything, but i guess it can be said that its ignorant to and not attempt. I feel there are flaws on both sides but overall i think its almost like wasting our time on shit we know we cant find the answer too. find the cure for aids before you try to make a colony on the moon. chris rock said it best at one of his shows, something along the lines of "if we get all the creative minds together, lock them in a room and infect them aids, we will have the cure within a month." thats a simple way (of course not sane) of getting fast results on understanding things.

you're right to assume the first part of your comment to be the likelihood, but again, even this is something that we do not know for sure. maybe someday we will find some crazy technology with which we CAN know EVERYTHING about EVERYTHING. as for the second half of your comment, maybe the universe IS infinite, however, modern science tells us that the universe is the collective of mass and energy that makes up everything that exists and that it is expanding into the infinite void further and further with each moment's pass. also, the first law of thermodynamics tells us that mass nor energy can be created or destroyed (no perpetual motion machines) but rather can only change forms. that would mean that the universe is finite to the best of our knowledge. of course all this leads us into the philosophical (and albeit possibly semantic) argument of "what is the universe?" but let's not take it there lol.

A possibility, but dude that sounds like a fucking disney movie to be honest. too perfect and as we all know the world is far from it.

You seem to be more educated in regards to the solar system. I just know what public schools told me, never was too interested but the universe is so large in scope to me that it might as well be infinite, until it can be proven otherwise, I feel that space has the possibility of being infinite. Not a fact by any means, just a possibility.

Also just another rant here, but WHY THE FUCK ARE WE BLOWING UP THE MOON ON SOME LEX LUTHER SHIT WHEN AIDS, CANCER, STARVATION AND POVRTYERT ARE PRESENT ON EARTH? fuck that, if thats science we need a new definition. we need to fix the shit here before we move on to something new.

“those who consider themselves the most adamant adherents of “real” hip-hop can also be the least knowledgeable.” –Adilifu Nama; an excert from his perception of Nas’s “Genesis”

eboyd Date: Friday, 01/Jan/10, 1:19 AM | Message # 21

Heads
Quote (abanks47)
I think its naive to try to understand everything

how so? more blood has been spilled in the history of the earth over the secrets of the universe than any other cause. religion is a side effect of our need to figure out that which is unexplained.

Quote (abanks47)
I feel there are flaws on both sides but overall i think its almost like wasting our time on shit we know we cant find the answer too.

i would hardly call it wasting time. we often find such explanations and, sure, they may not bring immediate results like new medicines do, but as we come closer to answers to the origins of the universe, new rationality becomes evident and draws people closer to true logic. lack thereof is what is crippling humanity today.

Quote (abanks47)
A possibility, but dude that sounds like a fucking disney movie to be honest. too perfect and as we all know the world is far from it.

i agree. it's still not something we know though. like i said, in our current state we are unable to achieve absolute knowledge.

Quote (abanks47)
I feel that space has the possibility of being infinite.

Quote (abanks47)
Not a fact by any means, just a possibility.

i agree and i'll go further and say that this is as close to a fact as it can possibly be.

Quote (abanks47)
find the cure for aids before you try to make a colony on the moon. chris rock said it best at one of his shows, something along the lines of "if we get all the creative minds together, lock them in a room and infect them aids, we will have the cure within a month." thats a simple way (of course not sane) of getting fast results on understanding things.

Quote (abanks47)
Also just another rant here, but WHY THE FUCK ARE WE BLOWING UP THE MOON ON SOME LEX LUTHER SHIT WHEN AIDS, CANCER, STARVATION AND POVRTYERT ARE PRESENT ON EARTH? fuck that, if thats science we need a new definition. we need to fix the shit here before we move on to something new.

well, first of all, because of Einstein we've explained how gravity works which has helped us predict somewhat accurately when life on earth will end due to a heat-death from the Sun, so that is one immediately relevant reason why such science is just as important, but i do agree with Chris Rock in that sciences such as finding a cure for AIDS, ending world hunger, etc., need to be made more relevant. however, we have enough scientists in this world to make both equally important and bring such scientific research to the forefront. the problem is not the fact that science focuses on the universe and finding answers to everything. the true problem is the political and economic climate surrounding us. it stifles such studies because making a profit and keeping the power structure of society is far more important than humanity to those in charge. the fact that this structure even exists as it does has to do with the irrationality of society in general due to manufactured consent created by propaganda.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

abanks47 Date: Friday, 01/Jan/10, 2:35 AM | Message # 22

Emcees
how so? more blood has been spilled in the history of the earth over the secrets of the universe than any other cause. religion is a side effect of our need to figure out that which is unexplained.

I'm not saying we should invest our curious minds into something else. hardly. I just feel we should focus and pay more attention to the tasks plaguing society before trying to understand the unknown.

i would hardly call it wasting time. we often find such explanations and, sure, they may not bring immediate results like new medicines do, but as we come closer to answers to the origins of the universe, new rationality becomes evident and draws people closer to true logic. lack thereof is what is crippling humanity today.

i was over reacting, and agree that people stuck in the old ways are hurting the advancement of ourselves as humans, but i still feel that a lot of the things that are being researched is exactly what i stated previously; a waste of time.

i agree. it's still not something we know though. like i said, in our current state we are unable to achieve absolute knowledge.

i agree in our current state we cannot achieve absolute knowledge. i can also agree that one day, and keep in mind this day would be far from now, we may be in a position to gaining absolute knowledge but until than, I will stay on my current ground and say that more important things need to be looked at.

well, first of all, because of Einstein we've explained how gravity works which has helped us predict somewhat accurately when life on earth will end due to a heat-death from the Sun, so that is one immediately relevant reason why such science is just as important, but i do agree with Chris Rock in that sciences such as finding a cure for AIDS, ending world hunger, etc., need to be made more relevant. however, we have enough scientists in this world to make both equally important and bring such scientific research to the forefront. the problem is not the fact that science focuses on the universe and finding answers to everything. the true problem is the political and economic climate surrounding us. it stifles such studies because making a profit and keeping the power structure of society is far more important than humanity to those in charge. the fact that this structure even exists as it does has to do with the irrationality of society in general due to manufactured consent created by propaganda.

Agreed

eboyd Date: Friday, 01/Jan/10, 7:20 AM | Message # 23

Heads
Quote (abanks47)
I'm not saying we should invest our curious minds into something else. hardly. I just feel we should focus and pay more attention to the tasks plaguing society before trying to understand the unknown.

Quote (abanks47)
i was over reacting, and agree that people stuck in the old ways are hurting the advancement of ourselves as humans, but i still feel that a lot of the things that are being researched is exactly what i stated previously; a waste of time.

Quote (abanks47)
i agree in our current state we cannot achieve absolute knowledge. i can also agree that one day, and keep in mind this day would be far from now, we may be in a position to gaining absolute knowledge but until than, I will stay on my current ground and say that more important things need to be looked at.

i understand where you're coming from now. we're basically looking at the same problem from two different angles.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

s0dr2 Date: Saturday, 09/Jan/10, 3:24 PM | Message # 24

OGs
Quote (abanks47)
Who are we to say that we can explain everything (or even attempt it).

Uhh, excuse me, but who are we to say that
Quote (abanks47)
there are things on this earth and off that will never be explained by man.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Forum » Knowledge » Religious/Philosophical Debate » Miracles/Unexplainable Phenomena or Simply UnexplainED?
  • Page 2 of 2
  • «
Search: