[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Forum moderator: TheWatcher, Menace, I_Guy, Aristotle  
Forum » Knowledge » Religious/Philosophical Debate » Miracles/Unexplainable Phenomena or Simply UnexplainED?
Miracles/Unexplainable Phenomena or Simply UnexplainED?
ALCATRAZ Date: Thursday, 31/Dec/09, 12:40 PM | Message # 1

Writers
Quote (sodr2)
you say this like youre the bearer of the truth or something

Because I personally believe a man who lived over 2,000 years ago wasn't my father, I am now labeled the bearer of truth? How about the bearer of rationale? I don't live my life in accordance with myths and folktales. I don't knock anyone who chooses to live their life according to the Bible, but don't hate on me for placing as much faith in myself as you do in a sky god.

Quote (sodr2)
where would He get the healing powers from then?

I don't know, honestly. Again, I'm not doubting he had certain supernatural powers, but so do Tibetan monks, who don't subscribe to Christianity. Are they your fathers too? I know who my father is. He just left for work.

"I personally think OBCL2 is better than the original" - Lord Meth

s0dr2 Date: Thursday, 31/Dec/09, 12:49 PM | Message # 2

OGs
of course im not hating on you, just wanted to see where u were coming from

Quote (ALCATRAZ)
I don't live my life in accordance with myths and folktales

wouldnt healing powers be considered myths?

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

abanks47 Date: Thursday, 31/Dec/09, 1:27 PM | Message # 3

Emcees

dont know if they'd be considered myths since we've witnessed a few in our lifetime, more like unexplained phenomena

A WELL DRESSED SKELETON SLOWLY CUTS YOUR THROAT.

"I Have No Fear Whatsoever of Anybody or Anything" -Malcolm X

“those who consider themselves the most adamant adherents of “real” hip-hop can also be the least knowledgeable.” –Adilifu Nama; an excert from his perception of Nas’s “Genesis”

eboyd Date: Thursday, 31/Dec/09, 3:09 PM | Message # 4

Heads
No comment on the line I posted? :(

Anyways, many of these "unexplained phenomena", as abanks so perfectly worded it, are being explained daily. Rigorous testing is being done on Tibetan monks and others thought to have "super powers", "healing powers", etc., by many scientists and believe it or not, conclusions as to how they are doing what they do are, in fact, being reached. "Unexplained phenomena" simply means scientists haven't studied them closely enough to come to any solid conclusions YET ("yet" being the key word in the last sentence).

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

ALCATRAZ Date: Thursday, 31/Dec/09, 3:39 PM | Message # 5

Writers
Quote (sodr2)

Not if it's been documented and proven to have occured. A myth is just a story that has no basis of natural explanation. There are many myths that I enjoy reading about and I strongly believe that some myths may hold some truth to them, but I'm not trying to throw the book at myths altogether. All I am saying is that...

Quote (ALCATRAZ)
I don't live my life in accordance with myths and folktales.

...I don't live my life according to them. My life isn't ruled by myths. That's the point.

"I personally think OBCL2 is better than the original" - Lord Meth

abanks47 Date: Thursday, 31/Dec/09, 4:03 PM | Message # 6

Emcees
Anyways, many of these "unexplained phenomena", as abanks so perfectly worded it, are being explained daily. Rigorous testing is being done on Tibetan monks and others thought to have "super powers", "healing powers", etc., by many scientists and believe it or not, conclusions as to how they are doing what they do are, in fact, being reached. "Unexplained phenomena" simply means scientists haven't studied them closely enough to come to any solid conclusions YET ("yet" being the key word in the last sentence).

So you feel that everything can be proven? Scientists have been studying yawning for decades and still do not know for sure how or why any species does it yet most do it. Getting off topic though.

Strike anywhere it matches, in hip hop, the God of War, you better practice
Like the apache indian on the ridge, you fought for a hundred years with axes
And hatchets, bionic six, lyrical acrobatics, it's tragic
You hide away like a kid behind the cactus
I fell in love, with a woman who dance at night with black magic
When a crocodile attacks, it's almost never predictable
My lyrics, are the spirts of mythical serial killers turned physical
What do you think, I came here to kiss you?
My long feathered tassle tomahawk, throw 'em, slit splits the moon
Hangs your boomerangs back to Earth, it rips through, your crew
Then you, like tissue, then some one holding the issue
I load my Skeletor revolver pistol
A man, he works all day, and at night, he hung his skin
Peace, why don't you sit down, friend
In the forest hunted by a bear alone, I climb up a tree
And fall down upon him, with a long thick branch and grim
My pocket knife tied to the end... -Holocaust

“those who consider themselves the most adamant adherents of “real” hip-hop can also be the least knowledgeable.” –Adilifu Nama; an excert from his perception of Nas’s “Genesis”

eboyd Date: Thursday, 31/Dec/09, 4:35 PM | Message # 7

Heads
Quote (abanks47)
So you feel that everything can be proven? Scientists have been studying yawning for decades and still do not know for sure how or why any species does it yet most do it. Getting off topic though.

scientists had been studying the origin of species since the beginning of time and it wasn't until the 1850's that Darwin was able to realize evolution (a change in a species over time) and that is now known as a scientific FACT (theory that has been tested and proven beyond a preponderance of evidence [and, for extra brownie points, this specific fact can be observed on a more minute scale as well]). what i'm saying is that there are plenty of things that we had once thought that science would never explain that have now been explained: planetary orbits, how gravity works on a grand scale, the positioning of planets in the sky, how life came from non-life, how the universe came to be in it's current state, etc. every single one of these phenomena now have testable theories behind them that are considered to be quite reliable. what people often fail to realize is that science isn't just some discipline that someone came up with. it is the practice of coming up with explanations for the unexplained. the rational minded person believes that everything can be explained. maybe not now or even in the near future, but there is nothing that has the ability to escape explanation. thinking otherwise is simply irrational.

Quote (eboyd)
"...riverrun past the Wakening we ReJoyce/
Thankful everyday for our God given voice/
Realizing our plans as they come to actuality/
Finding the essence of life is found in it's banality/
Gradually coming to surface and seeing our motives/
Finding it's not as cut-and-dry as the scriptures told us/
Beholders of our fate, free to superimpose/
Ideas of reality 'cause what you think you know/
It's all been negated a thousand times before/
Never judge until you know what lies behind those doors/
So what is God? Everything? A being in the abyss?/
A spirit in the clouds? Does he really exist?/
[...]
Hook (x2):
"I'm on the moon looking at the world as it turns/
Creating verse that makes the modern colloquy burn/
Reinventing ideas of what you thought was ideal/
Understanding the cycle of life when it's revealed"
[...]
The cycle of life continues winding around this/
Familiar path, we find ourselves down this[...]

(After the last line mentioned it loops back to the beginning of the track to create a cycle, much like in the book "Finnegan's Wake" by James Joyce which was alluded to in the first few lines numerous times through pun and by also using the same first word from that book)

-Agent X (aka me :D )

If you want to check the track go here:

http://www.myspace.com/realhiphopforeveragentx

The track name is "Cycle of Life". It's in the playlist.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

abanks47 Date: Thursday, 31/Dec/09, 5:02 PM | Message # 8

Emcees
All im saying is people lean on science like its the all knowing answer to everything. the best and the brightest will always get the answers we need (not saying this is you but you know what i mean) but reality is a lot is discovered through error and sometimes by ordinary people like you and i. i feel there are things that will go on unexplained for 1000s of years if not forever (if we even make it that long).

s0dr2 Date: Thursday, 31/Dec/09, 5:41 PM | Message # 9

OGs
Quote (abanks47)
more like unexplained phenomena

there is a word in the dictionary that exists for a reason: context

alcatraz was talking about healing powers of Jesus healing demons and raising people from the dead which he said: "I'm not doubting that a man by his name who had healing powers lived at one point" not "unexplained phenomena"

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

eboyd Date: Thursday, 31/Dec/09, 5:52 PM | Message # 10

Heads
Quote (abanks47)
All im saying is people lean on science like its the all knowing answer to everything.

no disrespect, but you're still not comprehending what i'm saying. you're putting science in a box. science isn't just one method of explanation. any explanation that is given for something that did not previously have an explanation that has a factual or strongly tested theoretical basis is, by definition, scientific.

Quote (abanks47)
the best and the brightest will always get the answers we need (not saying this is you but you know what i mean) but reality is a lot is discovered through error and sometimes by ordinary people like you and i.

that's the thing. that is still a scientific discovery. in fact, believe it or not, a large portion of some of the greatest scientific discoveries have happened in exactly that manner.

Quote (abanks47)
i feel there are things that will go on unexplained for 1000s of years if not forever (if we even make it that long).

i absolutely agree. that doesn't make them unexplainABLE, nor does it make us correct or logically sound to infer that since we can't/have yet to explain it, it must be magic/God/pixies/etc. this is a fallacy similar to the "God-of-the-gaps" fallacy and falls under arguments from ignorance and also slippery slope.

"I'm like the Atheist spokesman
That why I come under fire and pressure attacks like Rex Grossman
Yea this game is intense
I been sayin it since agnostics people been playin the fence
They keep sayin its the same in a sense
That evolution requires faith, that universe just came to exist
First of all, microevolution been proven
In the same way that sound waves let you listen to music
And macroevolution is the system of change
At or above the level of the species inflicted with change
That's microevolution on a grand scale we can't even word
because our life span's too short to observe
"But carbon dating is flawed"
"Its half life is 5730 years, and that supports our cause"
Now that'd be great if we used it to date
But since we don't then I'm a question that argument's weight
We use potassium argon to date to date the globe
Not carbon 12 or carbon 14 not none of those
So before you attack Grey go get ya facts straight
Because in the facts race, your God comes into last place"

-Greydon Square :D

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

eboyd Date: Thursday, 31/Dec/09, 5:53 PM | Message # 11

Heads
Quote (sodr2)

alcatraz was talking about healing powers of Jesus healing demons and raising people from the dead which he said: "I'm not doubting that a man by his name who had healing powers lived at one point" not "unexplained phenomena"

if those things really occurred (which i doubt) then they are unexplained phenomena.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

s0dr2 Date: Thursday, 31/Dec/09, 6:05 PM | Message # 12

OGs
Quote (eboyd)
if those things really occurred (which i doubt) then they are unexplained phenomena.

unexplained phenomena = miracle? or someone saying "x, come forth" and that person rises from the dead right after is not a miracle?

eboyd Date: Thursday, 31/Dec/09, 6:11 PM | Message # 13

Heads
Quote (sodr2)
unexplained phenomena = miracle?

no, it's the other way around "miracle" (put in quotations because the idea of them being explained, even at a future date, negates their classification as a miracle. there is no such thing as a "miracle") = unexplained phenomena (not unexpainABLE)

Quote (sodr2)
or someone saying "x, come forth" and that person rises from the dead right after is not a miracle?

it may be.... if it actually happened. or it may just be that the person wasn't actually dead and that the person who said the words and the person who arose were in collusion to trick people into believing he had just been arisen.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

s0dr2 Date: Thursday, 31/Dec/09, 6:15 PM | Message # 14

OGs
Quote (eboyd)
it may be.... if it actually happened. or it may just be that the person wasn't actually dead and that the person who said the words and the person who arose were in collusion to trick people into believing he had just been arisen.

assume the person is dead and please say tell me its a miracle...or no wait.... 2 fish and 5 loves of bread multiplied into over a thousand <--this is a miracle no? ("if it actually happened")

Message edited by sodr2 - Thursday, 31/Dec/09, 6:15 PM
abanks47 Date: Thursday, 31/Dec/09, 6:17 PM | Message # 15

Emcees

I guess i missed that, i thought that it was in reference to monks and how they do things that cannot be explained, or just random strange occurrences in nature. Not referencing Jesus in any way as unexplained phenomena. Apologies for taking it out of context

no disrespect, but you're still not comprehending what i'm saying. you're putting science in a box. science isn't just one method of explanation. any explanation that is given for something that did not previously have an explanation that has a factual or strongly tested theoretical basis is, by definition, scientific.

none taken and i'm hearing what you're saying, i just disagree with it is all. science is the state of knowing, but there are times in life where we are in a state of unknowing. there are events that have happened in life that no man can explain without a damn time machine. science has multiple and damn near infinite possibilities though

i absolutely agree. that doesn't make them unexplainABLE, nor does it make us correct or logically sound to infer that since we can't/have yet to explain it, it must be magic/God/pixies/etc. this is a fallacy similar to the "God-of-the-gaps" fallacy and falls under arguments from ignorance and also slippery slope.

unexplainable - not to be accounted for or explained
If something cannot be solved for the entirety of man's existence that DOES make it unexplainable.

I don't want to go on a long rant on this. I love music too much to want to get side tracked in this thread because I do tend to think a lot about music and some of its lyrics, I plan on posting more in here so if you really want to continue this please split the threads.

Forum » Knowledge » Religious/Philosophical Debate » Miracles/Unexplainable Phenomena or Simply UnexplainED?
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search: