• Page 3 of 3
  • «
Forum moderator: TheWatcher, Menace, I_Guy, Aristotle  
Forum » Knowledge » Religious/Philosophical Debate » The Bible on Slavery
The Bible on Slavery
eboyd Date: Monday, 01/Mar/10, 5:00 AM | Message # 31

Heads
Quote (ritesofpasage)
Ideals live for the wealthy. 6,000 a year to go to Sudbury.

what?

Quote (EmSeeD)
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o Pensmoke deleted his account

he had me delete it for him, and all of his comments. this is the only forum he's ever been active in. forum life is just too immature for him i guess. he came here thinking we were different but most of the same bullshit from other forums occurs here as well.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Menace Date: Monday, 01/Mar/10, 7:16 AM | Message # 32

Heads
Quote (ritesofpasage)
Ideals live for the wealthy. 6,000 a year to go to Sudbury.

Of course public schools lack individual initiative everything is commanded by the state and everything is done by what the state dictates if public schools would adopt such a model maybe things will change but of course any government won't fund schools which don't train idle robots

eboyd Date: Monday, 01/Mar/10, 4:08 PM | Message # 33

Heads
Quote (Menace)
Of course public schools lack individual initiative everything is commanded by the state and everything is done by what the state dictates if public schools would adopt such a model maybe things will change but of course any government won't fund schools which don't train idle robots

lol my bad, i get it now :D i was tired as FUCK when i commented earlier :D

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

eboyd Date: Monday, 01/Mar/10, 4:08 PM | Message # 34

Heads
btw, it isn't for the wealthy either. Sudbury actually costs about the same as public school.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

ritesofpasage Date: Monday, 01/Mar/10, 7:23 PM | Message # 35

DJs
How does public school cost anything?

Check out my melody faithfulness is the fidelity of my soundtrack to that of the heavenlies.....
eboyd Date: Tuesday, 02/Mar/10, 1:13 AM | Message # 36

Heads
Quote (ritesofpasage)
How does public school cost anything?

that's the point. but anyways, buying food, PE clothes, etc., and obviously we pay taxes to fund the public school system. these fees do not exist in Sudbury Schools but i do believe a minimum tuition fee must be paid, and i do not believe it costs very much at all. it may be more expensive than public school but hardly more expensive and if the school system was willing to support it and did not tell the school what to do, they would be willing to go public. but to show that this type of school is inexpensive, there is a school functioning in this style that is in the inner city called the Albany Free School. the following excerpt from their wiki (which i linked) is the important portion:

"The school operates with a sliding scale tuition and no one is turned away for financial reasons."

for more info on this style of education, here's a series of videos featuring founder Daniel Greenberg and his friend and coauthor of the book they are introducing about democratic education, Russell Ackoff:

etc.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

ritesofpasage Date: Tuesday, 02/Mar/10, 4:46 PM | Message # 37

DJs
The cost is a problem. For people who send their kids to public schools because they can't afford to pay anything. I like their scholarships and sliding scale.

But there is a wait list and I'm sure that the word of mouth about this excellent school is privileged to a select few. Mainly those who are conscious of free education and they happen to come from economically privileged roots.

I noticed only white faces in the last videos you put up free school, educational democracy? hmmm......

Check out my melody faithfulness is the fidelity of my soundtrack to that of the heavenlies.....

Message edited by ritesofpasage - Tuesday, 02/Mar/10, 4:47 PM
eboyd Date: Wednesday, 03/Mar/10, 5:09 AM | Message # 38

Heads
Quote (ritesofpasage)
The cost is a problem. For people who send their kids to public schools because they can't afford to pay anything. I like their scholarships and sliding scale.

that is a problem with the oppressive system that they are forced to exist within, not with the school itself. if the public school system would support such a school and allow it to take the shape that it takes today without forcing it to reform, the people that start such schools would be more than willing to make them public. the people at Sudbury actually often say that the school would be better if only more people would enroll. they have no objection to it, and many such schools are trying to find ways to attract more students for that reason. i am personally, however, going to school board meetings, in part, for the very purpose of trying to find a way to make this type of school a possibility under public funding.

Quote (ritesofpasage)
But there is a wait list and I'm sure that the word of mouth about this excellent school is privileged to a select few. Mainly those who are conscious of free education and they happen to come from economically privileged roots.

lol @ people with economically privileged roots. this is something addressed in one of the videos i linked above. it is false. i went to this democratic elementary school for information today. there were kids from all sorts of backgrounds and social class levels (i knew because i went around 3 when their parents were picking them up). additionally, if you actually read this Wiki page that i posted earlier as well, you will see that this is completely factually false:

"The Free School (Albany) is a day school for 60 students aged two to fourteen founded in 1969 by Mary Leue. The student population is as diverse as the surrounding racially and socioeconomically mixed downtown neighborhood, with approximately half of the kids coming from the inner city, one-fourth from uptown, and the remainder from outlying areas. The school operates with a sliding scale tuition and no one is turned away for financial reasons."

Quote (ritesofpasage)
I noticed only white faces in the last videos you put up free school, educational democracy? hmmm......

lol WOW! i go to school board meetings that are open to the public in Latin neighborhoods where the great majority of the people are white. it has nothing to do with selective knowledge or racial privilege, it has to do with chance.

and again:

"The Free School (Albany) is a day school for 60 students aged two to fourteen founded in 1969 by Mary Leue. The student population is as diverse as the surrounding racially and socioeconomically mixed downtown neighborhood, with approximately half of the kids coming from the inner city, one-fourth from uptown, and the remainder from outlying areas. The school operates with a sliding scale tuition and no one is turned away for financial reasons."

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

EmSeeD Date: Monday, 22/Nov/10, 8:12 PM | Message # 39

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
as i've explained, indentured servitude is just about as morally wrong as slavery

where did you explain it was wrong? why is indentured servitude wrong?

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
eboyd Date: Wednesday, 22/Dec/10, 12:55 PM | Message # 40

Heads
Quote (EmSeeD)
where did you explain it was wrong? why is indentured servitude wrong?

why wouldn't it be wrong????? people are subordinated to other people and bound to be slaves to those people for a contractually defined period. the only difference between indentured servitude and chattel slavery is that indentured servants chose to be slaves as a last resort to avoid debt and likely starvation, whereas chattel slaves are forced into slavery. sure, that may be worse, but only initially. the conditions upon each becoming slaves are relatively equal.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Forum » Knowledge » Religious/Philosophical Debate » The Bible on Slavery
  • Page 3 of 3
  • «
Search: