New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Forum moderator: TheWatcher, Menace, I_Guy, Aristotle  
Forum » Knowledge » Religious/Philosophical Debate » The Bible on Slavery
The Bible on Slavery
EmSeeD Date: Sunday, 21/Feb/10, 1:52 AM | Message # 1

Heads
this is an article i read about what the Bible says about Slavery, it is a christian article.

The institution of slavery, in which one person owns another person as a piece of property, was widely
practiced in Bible times. Slavery in the ancient world, and especially in the Greek and Roman world of the
New Testament, must be distinguished from the forms of slavery known to people in the Americas in the
seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. Although we can only find a few indirect attempts to reject
owning and using other people like property in the Bible, neither does the Bible condone human slavery.

One of the most commonplace ways of obtaining a slave in the ancient world was through "debt slavery".
This was the process by which a person borrowed money from the wealthy and, when he was unable to repay
the loan, sold himself into slavery. In the Old Testament, an Israelite who became a slave because of
economic need could be held as a slave after which he would be set free (Exodus 21:2). In a sense then
selling oneself into slavery did not lead to actual (permanent) slavery. This was not the case with non-Israelistes.
They sold themselves into slavery, they could live forever as slaves unless payment was made for their release.

Within Israel, slaves were never regarded only as property, however. Regulations under Israelite law
protected slaves as human beings and not only as the property of their owners. Male slaves were to be circumcised like
any Israelite male and were to share in such religious celebrations as the Passover.

Slavery was an everyday reality in the Roman world of the early church. This ancient form of slavery
contrasts sharply with slavery as we think of it in the modern period. For example, Roman slaves were often better
educated than their masters, many slaves carried high level positions in businesses and in the
government, slaves could own property and even have their own slaves, and slaves, at time, exercised
more power than free persons. Moreover, slavery was not related to class or racial issues in the rRoman world.

Without a doubt, many early Christians hasd slaves, as the Letter to Philemon makes clear. This is not
the whole story, however. According to the prayer Jesus taught his followers to pray (Luke 11:4), we are to forgive
everyone who owes us anything (literally, "we forgive everyone who has done wrong to us"). When it is
recalled that slavery was often the result of selling oneself for one's debts, the message of Jesus has
a surprisingly direct focus. If they take Jesus words seriously, the people of God would not be able to
take people into slavery on account of financial debts.

In other instances, Paul instructs his readers to practice compassion and fairness toward one another.
In particular, masters and slaves are both charged to act toward one another as Christians outght to act.
Masters should and fair to their slaves, remembering that "you have a Master in heaen, "while slaves
should serve out of respect for the Lord (Colossians 3:22-4:1) Paul goes so far as to affirm that, from
the perspective of life determined by the Lord Jesus, there is no distinction between slaves and free
people (Galatians 3:28).
Similarly, in 1 Corinthians 7:21-24, Paul encourages slaves to embrace their freedom before the Lord
and to live with the knowledge that their true master or lord was Christ.

Pauls instrctions to Philemon are not always easy to follow since we know so little about why Philemon's
slave, Onesimus, is no longer living in Philemons' house. What we do know is that APaul is asking
Philemon to change the way he views Onesimus. Because of previous circumstances, Philemon might be angry with
Onesimus. Paul asks Philemon to look upon his slave no longer as a slave, but as a new brother in Christ.
Since both are now Christians, their social relationship must be transformed. Most likely, this means
that Philemon should give Onesimus a new status before the law. no longer as a slave but as a free person.

Ancient Israel could be called the "servant of the Lord" befcause Israel was delivered from bondage
in Egypt in order to serve
the Lord. At times, New Testament writers can build on this use of "slavery" or "service" as a symbol
for their relationship to the Lord. This hightlisths their having been purchased by the Lord
(1 Corinthaians 6: 19-20), their allegiance and submission to him, and their status as members of the
Lord family.

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
eboyd Date: Sunday, 21/Feb/10, 7:34 AM | Message # 2

Heads
the form of slavery mentioned here is very similar to what was known in early America as "indentured servitude" and many indentured servants (most of whom were white) were well educated as well. these servants were integral in many rebellions, such as Bacon's Rebellion, and are commonly considered to have been in a situation almost as poor as that of the slaves. there's really not much of a difference between the slavery of those times and indentured servitude and the fact that they were both different from chattel slavery doesn't change the fact that they were morally bankrupt concepts that lasted for hundreds of years.

as for the bible's view on it, there are conflicting passages. the Curse of Ham found in Genesis, for example, is a great example of a passage that quite clearly condones servitude:

"20 And Noah began to be an husbandman, and he planted a vineyard: 21 And he drank of the wine, and was drunken; and he was uncovered within his tent. 22 And Ham, the father of Canaan, saw the nakedness of his father, and told his two brethren without. 23 And Shem and Japheth took a garment, and laid it upon both their shoulders, and went backward, and covered the nakedness of their father; and their faces were backward, and they saw not their father's nakedness. 24 And Noah awoke from his wine, and knew what his younger son had done unto him. 25 And he said, Cursed be Canaan; a servant of servants shall he be unto his brethren. 26 And he said, Blessed be the LORD God of Shem; and Canaan shall be his servant. 27 God shall enlarge Japheth, and he shall dwell in the tents of Shem; and Canaan shall be his servant."

this is just one example of many. obviously this will be rationalized to death by Christians, but the common "yeah, but slavery was different back then. it just meant employment" (which, i would argue, actually is a form of slavery, but i digress) cannot any longer be accepted, because, as your article even shows, it plainly isn't true. additionally, even the excuse here isn't valid because, as i've explained, indentured servitude is just about as morally wrong as slavery and the slavery of that time was basically exactly that. so instead we are left with interpretations of the bible and, really, there is no right or wrong interpretation. even most clergymen have opposing viewpoints on certain passages' interpretations. if this weren't true, we wouldn't have hundreds of different denominations.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

ritesofpasage Date: Sunday, 21/Feb/10, 5:20 PM | Message # 3

DJs
Galatians 2:16-19

Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

2:17 But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is therefore Christ the minister of sin? God forbid.

2:18 For if I build again the things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor.

2:19 For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God.

Check out my melody faithfulness is the fidelity of my soundtrack to that of the heavenlies.....
EmSeeD Date: Sunday, 21/Feb/10, 5:34 PM | Message # 4

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
as for the bible's view on it, there are conflicting passages. the Curse of Ham found in Genesis, for example, is a great example of a passage that quite clearly condones servitude:

"20 And Noah began to be an husbandman, and he planted a vineyard: 21 And he drank of the wine, and was drunken; and he was uncovered within his tent. 22 And Ham, the father of Canaan, saw the nakedness of his father, and told his two brethren without. 23 And Shem and Japheth took a garment, and laid it upon both their shoulders, and went backward, and covered the nakedness of their father; and their faces were backward, and they saw not their father's nakedness. 24 And Noah awoke from his wine, and knew what his younger son had done unto him. 25 And he said, Cursed be Canaan; a servant of servants shall he be unto his brethren. 26 And he said, Blessed be the LORD God of Shem; and Canaan shall be his servant. 27 God shall enlarge Japheth, and he shall dwell in the tents of Shem; and Canaan shall be his servant."

Quote (EmSeeD)
According to the prayer Jesus taught his followers to pray (Luke 11:4), we are to forgive
everyone who owes us anything (literally, "we forgive everyone who has done wrong to us"). When it is
recalled that slavery was often the result of selling oneself for one's debts, the message of Jesus has
a surprisingly direct focus. If they take Jesus words seriously, the people of God would not be able to
take people into slavery on account of financial debts.

ritesofpasage Date: Sunday, 21/Feb/10, 6:36 PM | Message # 5

DJs
The bible doen'st contradict. it teaches to one level of understanding and then teaches to another one later. My point.

Check out my melody faithfulness is the fidelity of my soundtrack to that of the heavenlies.....
EmSeeD Date: Sunday, 21/Feb/10, 7:12 PM | Message # 6

Heads
Quote (Pensmoke)
This will probably be ignored, but.....

nah bro thanks, i want more people to comment

EmSeeD Date: Sunday, 21/Feb/10, 8:37 PM | Message # 7

Heads
Levitcus 25: 35-55

Rules For Slave Owners:

35 “If your brother becomes poor and cannot maintain himself with you, you shall support him as though he were a stranger and a sojourner, and he shall live with you. 36 Take no interest from him or profit, but fear your God, that your brother may live beside you. 37 You shall not lend him your money at interest, nor give him your food for profit. 38 I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt to give you the land of Canaan, and to be your God.

39 “If your brother becomes poor beside you and sells himself to you, you shall not make him serve as a slave: 40 he shall be with you as a hired servant and as a sojourner. He shall serve with you until the year of the jubilee. 41 Then he shall go out from you, he and his children with him, and go back to his own clan and return to the possession of his fathers. 42 For they are my servants, [3] whom I brought out of the land of Egypt; they shall not be sold as slaves. 43 You shall not rule over him ruthlessly but shall fear your God. 44 As for your male and female slaves whom you may have: you may buy male and female slaves from among the nations that are around you. 45 You may also buy from among the strangers who sojourn with you and their clans that are with you, who have been born in your land, and they may be your property. 46 You may bequeath them to your sons after you to inherit as a possession forever. You may make slaves of them, but over your brothers the people of Israel you shall not rule, one over another ruthlessly.
Redeeming a Poor Man

47 “If a stranger or sojourner with you becomes rich, and your brother beside him becomes poor and sells himself to the stranger or sojourner with you or to a member of the stranger's clan, 48 then after he is sold he may be redeemed. One of his brothers may redeem him, 49 or his uncle or his cousin may redeem him, or a close relative from his clan may redeem him. Or if he grows rich he may redeem himself. 50 He shall calculate with his buyer from the year when he sold himself to him until the year of jubilee, and the price of his sale shall vary with the number of years. The time he was with his owner shall be rated as the time of a hired servant. 51 If there are still many years left, he shall pay proportionately for his redemption some of his sale price. 52 If there remain but a few years until the year of jubilee, he shall calculate and pay for his redemption in proportion to his years of service. 53 He shall treat him as a servant hired year by year. He shall not rule ruthlessly over him in your sight. 54 And if he is not redeemed by these means, then he and his children with him shall be released in the year of jubilee. 55 For it is to me that the people of Israel are servants. [4] They are my servants whom I brought out of the land of Egypt: I am the Lord your God.

eboyd Date: Sunday, 21/Feb/10, 8:39 PM | Message # 8

Heads
Quote (Pensmoke)
This will probably be ignored, but.....

it's cool. i read it Pen. the problem is that it still doesn't counteract what i stated. the bible condones what was known in the 17th-19th centuries as "indentured servitude" which is, by many, considered nearly synonymous with slavery. radicals like myself even consider wage labor to be a form of slavery, namely "wage slavery". i realize, as do most people that actually think for themselves, that the slaves of ancient times lived in much better conditions than the slaves of the 17th-19th centuries, but that doesn't change the fact that it is still immoral. the only political philosophy that i know of that actually condones that type of slavery, as well as indentured servitude (which is virtually synonymous) are right-wing "libertarians" and their more radical colleagues, "anarcho"-capitalists. they feel if someone is dumb enough to sell themselves into servitude, that is their fault. however, much like private property rights, it is a right that needs to be protected by a hierarchy of power, creating a situation where most humans are forced to "pick a master" and that is the extent of their freedom. that is why i am opposed strongly even to the form of slavery that is not necessarily condoned, but rather not condemned in the bible (and there are even instructions in the bible on how slavery must be done, which implies that it is condoned). for a group of books meant to teach people morals, slavery of all kinds should be explicitly condemned.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

eboyd Date: Sunday, 21/Feb/10, 8:41 PM | Message # 9

Heads
moved to the debate forum. this thread is most definitely suited for debate between Christians and non-Christians, not simple discussion or debate between Christians.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

EmSeeD Date: Sunday, 21/Feb/10, 8:59 PM | Message # 10

Heads
Quote (EmSeeD)
Rules For Slave Owners:

35 “If your brother becomes poor and cannot maintain himself with you, you shall support him as though he were a stranger and a sojourner, and he shall live with you. 36 Take no interest from him or profit, but fear your God, that your brother may live beside you. 37 You shall not lend him your money at interest, nor give him your food for profit. 38 I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt to give you the land of Canaan, and to be your God.

39 “If your brother becomes poor beside you and sells himself to you, you shall not make him serve as a slave: 40 he shall be with you as a hired servant and as a sojourner. He shall serve with you until the year of the jubilee. 41 Then he shall go out from you, he and his children with him, and go back to his own clan and return to the possession of his fathers. 42 For they are my servants, [3] whom I brought out of the land of Egypt; they shall not be sold as slaves. 43 You shall not rule over him ruthlessly but shall fear your God. 44 As for your male and female slaves whom you may have: you may buy male and female slaves from among the nations that are around you. 45 You may also buy from among the strangers who sojourn with you and their clans that are with you, who have been born in your land, and they may be your property. 46 You may bequeath them to your sons after you to inherit as a possession forever. You may make slaves of them, but over your brothers the people of Israel you shall not rule, one over another ruthlessly.
Redeeming a Poor Man

47 “If a stranger or sojourner with you becomes rich, and your brother beside him becomes poor and sells himself to the stranger or sojourner with you or to a member of the stranger's clan, 48 then after he is sold he may be redeemed. One of his brothers may redeem him, 49 or his uncle or his cousin may redeem him, or a close relative from his clan may redeem him. Or if he grows rich he may redeem himself. 50 He shall calculate with his buyer from the year when he sold himself to him until the year of jubilee, and the price of his sale shall vary with the number of years. The time he was with his owner shall be rated as the time of a hired servant. 51 If there are still many years left, he shall pay proportionately for his redemption some of his sale price. 52 If there remain but a few years until the year of jubilee, he shall calculate and pay for his redemption in proportion to his years of service. 53 He shall treat him as a servant hired year by year. He shall not rule ruthlessly over him in your sight. 54 And if he is not redeemed by these means, then he and his children with him shall be released in the year of jubilee. 55 For it is to me that the people of Israel are servants. [4] They are my servants whom I brought out of the land of Egypt: I am the Lord your God.

the people who became slaves like this had no-where else to go, also i believe the Jews had to wipe clean any debt anyone owed them every jubilee which i think is every 6 or 12 years.

Paul tells the early christians that were slaves that God is their true master and that they should serve God first, that all christians are "slaves" or servants of God.

ritesofpasage Date: Sunday, 21/Feb/10, 10:00 PM | Message # 11

DJs
For all these disputes about what the bible says. A person has to read it in the original hebrew to be correct. And what it says there is:

in leviticus 25:39 is

"bondservant" not slave

http://www.mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/pt0325.htm

EmSeeD Date: Sunday, 21/Feb/10, 10:04 PM | Message # 12

Heads
bondservant means the same thing

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/bond-servant

Quote (EmSeeD)
39 “If your brother becomes poor beside you and sells himself to you, you shall not make him serve as a slave: 40 he shall be with you as a hired servant and as a sojourner. He shall serve with you until the year of the jubilee.

ritesofpasage Date: Sunday, 21/Feb/10, 10:53 PM | Message # 13

DJs
Why were there some many laws in biblical times? Because that world was very unruly. Have things changed yes. Did things change then yes. Does the bible approve slavery no. Did the bible regulate how to live in an unkempt cultures yes. Same with sex and fornication.

1 Corinthians 7:9
But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion.

It regulates alot of things. The new testament should be always referenced before the first for a Christian.

Romans 13:7 and 8

13:7 Render therefore to all their dues: tribute to whom tribute is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honour to whom honour.

13:8 Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.

eboyd Date: Sunday, 21/Feb/10, 10:55 PM | Message # 14

Heads
Quote (EmSeeD)
the people who became slaves like this had no-where else to go, also i believe the Jews had to wipe clean any debt anyone owed them every jubilee which i think is every 6 or 12 years.

in the same sense an indentured servant had nowhere else to go. it was either servitude or face starvation or even prosecution.

Quote (Pensmoke)
You admit that its not the same kind of 'slavery', but still lump it in with its 'counterpart'. Let me ask you this, if someone wanted to, or 'volunteered' to be a 'slave' then are they really a "slave" in the same sense? Or is it a job? Unlike slaves, an indentured servant was required to work only for a limited term specified in a signed contract. It was like a nanny or a butler in a sense. It was a job not forced slavery.
No one kidnapped indentured servants or beat them or killed them in order to force them into labor. These people entered into a contract, an agreement. A job, plain and simple.

this is actually exactly the argument i hear from self proclaimed "right-wing libertarians" and, while it is understandable that someone would fall for this logic, there is something fundamental missing that you must understand. to paraphrase what anarchist theoreticians have been stating for years, indentured servitude, as well as wage labor, make it so that most people (except for a ruling elite who basically own these people for a certain period and during specific times) are forced to choose between either employment or starvation or, as is the case with indentured servitude, prosecution. in a society where property is not protected (though liberty is and so in the same way that when someone breaks into your house in the middle of the night today they are punished, they would be prosecuted for such a crime in such a society as well) and labor, not resources, are the basis of money, employment, usury, and by extension debts would vanish, making indentured servitude unnecessary. to drive the point home a bit better and also to speak more about wage slavery than indentured servitude this time around, in our society today one must make money to live, as would be in any society unless a post-scarcity society ever comes about. most people in this society are workers and have a boss who rules over them while they are at work who barks orders at them and basically owns and exploits their labor for approximately 8 hours per day. this person makes money off of their labor, so in essence, they make money without contributing any labor of their own. this is called capital. there is an unequal trade going on here that is contrary to the concept of equality and limits freedom to the freedom to choose a master. that is not at all freedom. when your choice is either slavery or starvation, are you really free to choose? the alternative here is collectivization. collectives have been around for years and run quite well. in Argentina, 200+ collectives are currently in operation, and there are many more around the world. as a matter of fact, these horizontally integrated business models employ (since they are forced to exist in a capitalist environment) more people around the world than the hierarchical business models commonly found in the United States and other world superpowers countries. a collective (by today's standards) is a business owned and operated equally by each member of the business. collectivization and factory recoveries would have been a good alternative to big business bailouts.

lastly, i will assume that both equality and freedom are terms that are atop your list of words that represent good ideas. if this is true, by what i have stated above, should you accept it, indentured servitude and wage slavery should be an abomination to you.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

ritesofpasage Date: Sunday, 21/Feb/10, 11:05 PM | Message # 15

DJs
We are all slaves then. Do you know anyone who live on a commune. I saw that living off the grid thing on MTV they didn't last too long. Dude was aching for a soda lol.

Forum » Knowledge » Religious/Philosophical Debate » The Bible on Slavery
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Search: