Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
Forum moderator: I_Guy, s0dr2, El_Matador  
Forum » Knowledge » Philosophy/Science » Good vs Evil/Moral Absolutes
Good vs Evil/Moral Absolutes
I_Guy Date: Tuesday, 09/Jun/09, 8:11 PM | Message # 16

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
white Aryans in NAZI Germany were thought to be of greater use to society than any other culture and were therefore said to be of more value than any other. Now regardless of the moral implications of such an ideal, this is obviously completely subjective and it parallels the idea you presented

Well the possibility of these white Aryans being of more value (as far as being useful) very well may have been factual conclusion. If they were removed from society, would that society continue progressively without them? Now I know that appears "immoral", or even racist in a way but that could be the fact of the matter. But this point and your point is invalid because the conditions upon which our usefulness and value is judged here on this earth, is in fact manmade. We are an exception to nature in the way that we make things happen and create generic value structures within societies. Nature did not determine the white Aryans value, human psychology did, along with dozens of other sociological and humanistic aspects. Therefore, it cannont parallel the points in my previous post.

Quote (eboyd)
So again I ask how is the idea you present an example of objective value?

As far as we know, the universe is the limit of reality. If we are a stake in this reality, then we can be considered to have value in the universe. If we are a stake in this universe and we were removed, then what would become of reality? Well why is reality important? Here you have to draw the line of reality and existance against no reality and nonexistance. Neither are truely important, therefore, both have an equal value (0), and beings reality exists (to the best of our knowledge) there can be things absolutely valuable to it. This is all theoretical though. Absolute value can also be revealed through numbers. That's why I mentioned our statistical and mathematical value if life was singular in the universe.

Quote (eboyd)
And moreover, how does this tie in with morality/ethics (I think ethics is the better term. The term "morals" tends to have a religious connotation)? I am truly curious.

Because you have to get to the root of value to determine what is moral. Because what makes sense is what is "valuable." Valuable is really a word that I should be using because it is flipable. That's why I always resort back to my concept of "morals" being backed by "what makes sense."

We all know that each of our end is near; the question is do we accept the end of our living existence, or do we accept our existence as dead men...
I_Guy Date: Tuesday, 09/Jun/09, 8:35 PM | Message # 17

Heads
Quote (Eboyd)
I_Guy said, these values do not exist intrinsically in nature.

Quote (Menace)
oh they exist and in fact that's what keeps some species alive listen to this Erik it's a good excerpt from Mutual Aid it fits very well to the subject at hand ohh and i see on your last comment that you and Peter Kropotkin have the same idea about morality

I think you got it wrong Menace. I wasn't saying that something such as mutual aid doesn't exist. That falls into what I was saying about "what makes sense." But something like mutual aid cannot be considered a "moral," because morals involve "right" and "wrong." But "what makes sense" is immune to "right" and "wrong." So I recognize what your point is emphasizing but I do not agree that they are morals.

We all know that each of our end is near; the question is do we accept the end of our living existence, or do we accept our existence as dead men...
Menace Date: Tuesday, 09/Jun/09, 8:40 PM | Message # 18

Heads
Quote (I_Guy)
I think you got it wrong Menace. I wasn't say that something such as mutual aid doesn't exist. That falls into what I was saying about "what makes sense." But something like mutual aid cannot be considered a "moral," because morals involve "right" and "wrong." But "what makes sense" is immune to "right" and "wrong." So I recognize what your point is emphasizing but I do not agree that they are morals.

in the animal kingdom protecting and helping the race and one another is the ultimate moral act or as you call it " what makes sense "act that's why i presented that video that's my whole point ain't that deep in philosophy i just tried to present that biggrin

I_Guy Date: Tuesday, 09/Jun/09, 8:41 PM | Message # 19

Heads
Quote (Menace)
in the animal kingdom protecting and helping the race and one another is the ultimate moral

I guess, if you want to call it "moral." I guess I can agree.

Menace Date: Tuesday, 09/Jun/09, 8:43 PM | Message # 20

Heads
Quote (I_Guy)
I guess, if you want to call it "moral." I guess I can agree.

yeah "what makes sense" can be considered moral but i don't know all this philosophy reminds me of Max Stirner and Max Stirner always puzzles me LOL

eboyd Date: Tuesday, 09/Jun/09, 9:41 PM | Message # 21

Heads
So I_Guy, what you are saying is that it is not about moral/ethical "right" and "wrong" but instead "what makes sense"? If so, I agree 100%

As for the value system, I still disagree with it being objective. You see, no matter what it's objectivity comes from our perspective. For example, if we are 0% useful to the universe and therefore have a value of 0, that is objectively true, but only on the basis of our perception of how useful we were and what it means to be useful, therefore, on a more universal level, it is completely subjective.

Now Menace, that video did not seem to contradict my point at all. If anything I felt like it affirmed it. He was trying to make a different point though; many theists try to say that atheists/agnostics cannot live morally. He was making the point that animals could not possibly have any perception of the morals that God has allegedly presented us with and philosophers like Kant (he used Kant as an example) have spoken of. He seems to also be of the belief that morals/ethics are subjective. Just because ants have a sense of ethics doesn't mean that these ethics are objective. Why? Because ants aren't computers. They aren't acting ethically out of routine, they are acting ethically because they are sentient beings and sentient beings have one power that sets them apart from plants and innanimate objects: they can THINK. This means that they react the way they do by their own free will choice. This means they can figure out what makes sense ethically as well, no matter how crude their sense of ethics is. We just have a more elevated sense of ethics.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

I_Guy Date: Tuesday, 09/Jun/09, 10:45 PM | Message # 22

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
So I_Guy, what you are saying is that it is not about moral/ethical "right" and "wrong" but instead "what makes sense"?

Yes.

Quote (eboyd)
useful

Our usefulness can be determined by continuing a function in the universe. The fact that we are useful can be determined this way, however our worth cannont. But we can be aware that there is some degree of value, there is just no specification as to how valuable we may be, because there is no scale upon which to measure.

Quote (eboyd)
they are acting ethically because they are sentient beings and sentient beings have one power that sets them apart from plants and innanimate objects: they can THINK. This means that they react the way they do by their own free will choice. This means they can figure out what makes sense ethically as well

Not really, their actions are simply internal chemical reactions to stimuli in the enviroment. Their is no thinking or choice involved, because they have no intellectual reasoning. The ability to reason (rather well or poorly) determines "right" and "wrong" or "what makes sense." People often confuse the mechanisms of evolution as a somehow thinking phenomenon. The ants do not think. The incredible complexity of evolution has brought about societies like ants to be able to cooperate intuitively. This is also where creationists get confused, because the development seems so unfathomable that it appears evident that God's action had to have designed it.

eboyd Date: Tuesday, 09/Jun/09, 11:06 PM | Message # 23

Heads
Idk. I think that ants act of their own free will. I guess we'll never know for sure, but it sounds like you are placing some sort of special importance on humans making it as if we have the special ability of sentience and other animals do not. The only people I have heard do that other than you are theists.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

I_Guy Date: Tuesday, 09/Jun/09, 11:07 PM | Message # 24

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
but it sounds like you are placing some sort of special importance on humans making it as if we have the special ability of sentience and other animals do not. The only people I have heard do that other than you are theists.

Humans have the ability to reason and weigh the factors, that's all. We are the only creatures capable of trascending an animals natural limits.

By the way, I see it as probable that other life exists in the universe and we are of no real value to the universe. I believe we are mathematically/statistically insignificant, as well as functionally insignificant. But of course, I can't really know for sure. This viewpoint is easier and more sound, as well as probable. I'm just arguing the other position because it is also possible, but much more complicated and more difficult to be actual.

eboyd Date: Tuesday, 09/Jun/09, 11:35 PM | Message # 25

Heads
Ok, I feel you. Cool.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

EmSeeD Date: Tuesday, 09/Jun/09, 11:42 PM | Message # 26

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
I do not believe in terms like "right" or "wrong" or "good" or "bad" in the context in which it is being used here

If you're referring to my question in the first post what i meant is:

Why is it harder to do a good or NICE DEED to someone then it is to say slap them across the face (something i'd consider to be bad you but you say you don't believe in the term "bad" so i don't know what you would call that). I just find it interesting how destruction is such much easier than building up something if you know what i mean.

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
I_Guy Date: Tuesday, 09/Jun/09, 11:56 PM | Message # 27

Heads
Quote (EmSeeD)
I just find it interesting how destruction is such much easier than building up something if you know what i mean.

I know what you mean. I think it has to do strictly with emotion and incentives.

eboyd Date: Tuesday, 09/Jun/09, 11:59 PM | Message # 28

Heads
In that case, the title and a large part of your initial argument are misleading Mark.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Boner-Jamz-11 Date: Wednesday, 10/Jun/09, 0:05 AM | Message # 29

Rappers
morals.... psshhh who needs em

#TeamHipster
#SWAGSWAG

TUMBLR CLICK CLICK CLICK!
EmSeeD Date: Wednesday, 10/Jun/09, 0:07 AM | Message # 30

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
In that case, the title and a large part of your initial argument are misleading Mark.

lmao yes it is, biggrin i thought it would be a good title coz it would get a lot of discussion going here and some actual good discussion coz there wasn't that much interesting going on here over the past two days, but feel free to talk about good vs evil and all that stuff.

Quote (EYAR15)
morals.... psshhh who needs em

you do

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
Forum » Knowledge » Philosophy/Science » Good vs Evil/Moral Absolutes
Search: