Forum moderator: I_Guy, s0dr2, El_Matador  
Forum » Knowledge » Philosophy/Science » What Is Natural
What Is Natural
Watcher Date: Saturday, 31/Oct/09, 8:12 AM | Message # 31

Watchers
Is plastic natural?
eboyd Date: Saturday, 31/Oct/09, 11:25 AM | Message # 32

Heads
That's a good question. I would say so. I would assume I_Guy would say "no" or "not as natural as other, more natural things" (btw, is this I_Guy posting as a watcher? Lol), that Menace and Chinita would say "absolutely not. It is built or man-made" and bacon would say "I don't know, it depends on how you decide to define natural".

Based on my definition and perspective on it, plastic exists and scientifically we can provide conclusive evidence for this, therefore it is natural until proven otherwise (which, btw, won't happen, because plastic is just as evident and observable as our bodies).

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

I_Guy Date: Thursday, 19/Nov/09, 3:02 AM | Message # 33

Heads
I guess when I say "further from nature" I mean further from the original state, from which nature comes.

You see we tend to compare what now is, to what once was. And rightfully so, this seems to be the logical method for developing a definition of "natural." For instance, we may look at a shoe and say that it is not natural. Indeed it is made of leather and cotton and other fabrics, but we say that the shoe itself is not natural. Because we look at what makes the shoe. So we end up tracing the composition of the shoe to what it originally was. But why don't we trace it any further than that? Anyways, we'll consider a bee hive natural but not a house natural. This is because we tend to trace back the origins of the compositions. So to determine what REALLY is natural we have to trace everything all the way back to find the true original state. So we have to first discover what first was. If at some point nothing existed, then existence itself is unnatural, because nonexistence would have been the original state. But the mystery would remain: how did nonexistence become existence. If existence did just become, and somehow nothing caused it, then it would, itself, not be natural. This is the mystery that plagues forever. Did existence begin? Or has it always been? This is the classic debate.

If existence just "began" (by a big bang or similar) then we cannot consider anything natural, except for nonexistence. No one thing within existence would be natural. But this leaves us at base one. We still seek some conception of "natural." Well I think we can still provide a concept within proximity. So we have to imagine the original state of things, the split second in which existence became what it was. What was the beginning of existence like? What was within existence? Energy? What was the original state of "things" in existence? Do we propose the "primeval atom," or a "point of singularity"? We would then have to redefine existence. Because according to theory, the point of singularity was the cause of existence. So what was the point of singularity before existence? (Or even more dubious, what was the cause of singularity?) These are things that our little brains cannot fathom because our level of consciousness is at too low a level, and the terms in which we think (cause, time, beginning, end) blind us to the truth.

Back to the point. What was the "original state" when concerning matter? The millisecond after the big bang? Is that the original state? What about the microsecond after? Or the nanosecond after? It's an infinite regress. We can forever reverse by time increments, and we will never reach an end, because by our understanding of time, it is infinitely divisible. This seems to suggest that the original state is simply nonexistence.

But the real point is to decide what we can "sort of" call natural (for pragmatic use). To do this, I propose that we HAVE to consider the original state of existence at the point when it became what it became. However it becomes irrelevant to pin point the exact point in which the original state of nonexistence became existence because as stated, it is fundamentally impossible. So if we view nonexistence and the initial point of existence, then this will create two different original states, a true-original state (nonexistence), and a false-original state (the initial beginning point of existence). It is only important to understand that at some point there had to have been an original state of existence once it became separate from nonexistence. So by this false-original state (the beginning of existence), we will then be able to determine what is natural to this false original state.

But then again, perhaps a "true-original state" and a "false-original state" is unnecessary. Some may argue that there is no such thing as "nonexistence" therefore there can be no divide between true and false states. Some might say that existence just is, and always has been in some form since the beginning. As counter-intuitive as this may seem to be, it may be right. We shouldn't think that there was anything before the beginning now should we? But the main point to focus on, is that existence with physical matter and energy had a beginning. Through this view, you can still imagine an "original state." It's only important to keep in mind an original state of some sort, rather it be nonexistence or exisetence.

So, to determine what is natural or perhaps "sort of" natural, I propose that it is the state nearest to the original state (whatever it was). So the further through time we go, the more unnatural everything becomes, because it is further from the original state. This is how something can be "further from nature." Meanwhile, the more complex something (states) become, the more unnatural it is. Because it is furthest from the simplicity of the original state.

So lets consider a bag of cheetos. Is it natural? Well, it is certainly far from the original state. We have to trace the chain all the way back, through either determinism, indeterminism, or agency, and realize that the matter that composes the cheetos had an original state. Through billions of years of rearrangement and mutation it has become a bag of cheetos, thanks to the humans, the humans thanks to preancient bacteria, the bacteria thanks to amino acids coming together, the amino acids thanks to particular kinds of matter being where they were at a certain point, so on and so on. So you can see that a certain thing's distance from nature is determined by its STATE in TIME.

But this is only the case if we believe that there was a beginning to existence.

So lets suppose that existence has always been and the universe is cyclical or infinite. Therefore existence would be infinite both ways through time. What then would be natural? What of the cheetos? Well if this is the case, then nothing would be natural, because if existence has always been, then there is no original state to provide a point of definition. This would make everything at any point in time and in any state, forever changing and rearranging but always the same, because there is no right way for it to be. So naturalness would be an unnecessary, and actually, a mistaken concept. There would be no such thing as true origin either.

It just depends on which theory of existence you believe. Most people go with the big bang. In that case we can "sort of" define natural.

To be honest, I think that the real confusion is when people replace original with natural. Someone says, "that isn’t natural." Most of the time what they really should say is, "that isn’t original." Only then would their statement be true.

We simply get origin and nature mixed up when we try to trace back to find naturalness. "Natural" simply becomes the substitution of "original" when measuring on a macro level.

Really I think we just need a redefinition or replacement of terms because "natural," as we use it, doesn't seem to really apply to the bigger picture. But then again it does work in some situations, such as if I were to say, "I like pussy because it is in my nature," then in that sense it properly applies, because it is referring to that which is beyond my control and dictated by forces beyond me and before me. But the idea of me, myself, being natural, simply doesn't apply in that sense (if I believe in the big bang and a beginning). Because I would actually be far from the nature of the original state, thus making me less natural. Additionally, if I believe the universe is cyclical then natural doesn't make sense here either because nothing would be natural. I guess for the sake of saying natural, yes I would be, but really when you get down to it, it doesn't make sense. The only way "natural" would REALLY make the most sense is if a god created us. But then again, if you were to really think about that, you could conclude that so called "supernaturalness" would actually be natural, thus turning into the same result as a cyclical universe. Once we abandon the idea of "magic" then naturalness breaks down, because only with magic, could natural exist. It's really a problem that penetrates everything.

We all know that each of our end is near; the question is do we accept the end of our living existence, or do we accept our existence as dead men...
eboyd Date: Thursday, 19/Nov/09, 3:36 AM | Message # 34

Heads
Tbh, I'm too tired to read that whole thing now so I would have read it but my eyes hurt.

Anyways, first off, the Big Bang theory doesn't say anything about the universe beginning, but rather collecting as a singularity.

As for the definition, you are working with a slippery slope here. Where do we draw the line? Where do we say "by this standard, this is natural and this is not natural"? What constitutes natural. Please engage me in this convo when I'm not so tired though. Thx.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

I_Guy Date: Thursday, 19/Nov/09, 3:41 AM | Message # 35

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
universe beginning

Then what can we define as the "universe."

Quote (eboyd)
but rather collecting as a singularity.

thus, an original state, and distance from what is now.

We all know that each of our end is near; the question is do we accept the end of our living existence, or do we accept our existence as dead men...
eboyd Date: Thursday, 19/Nov/09, 9:14 AM | Message # 36

Watchers
[quote=I_Guy]then what can we define as the "universe." [/quote]

That doesn't change the definition of the word universe. Universe is simply the collective construct of everything that exists physically. Whether everything existed several light years apart or as a tiny singularity; whether it was at one point all energy or had some matter, some energy; it was still the universe as long as it existed physically. If the universe literally came from "nothing" (which I highly doubt) then there would, in fact, be a beginning to it, but as it is, I believe that matter and energy are eternal, so I feel that the universe is as well.

[quote=I_Guy]thus, an original state, and distance from what is now. [/quote]

That doesn't change the possibility (or even likelihood) that the energy in the universe is eternal which would negate, imo, any idea that the universe "began" at the big bang. Sure, it took on it's current properties at the time, but if the "stuff" that it is made of already existed, and we define "universe" as I have above, that means it has existed eternally, given the first law of thermodynamics being true, as well as the second law (the idea that a perpetual motion machine is impossible drives the point home a bit).

I_Guy Date: Thursday, 19/Nov/09, 3:33 PM | Message # 37

Heads
Okay, well then based on that, we can say that matter is not natural, because pure energy was the original state.

eboyd Date: Thursday, 19/Nov/09, 3:43 PM | Message # 38

Heads
No, because energy decays through a natural process into matter and anti-matter. If it decayed through divine intervention and we found that science couldn't possibly explain the decay of energy, then it wouldn't be natural, so since it can be explained through science, it's natural. It's as simple as that.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Menace Date: Thursday, 19/Nov/09, 3:49 PM | Message # 39

Heads
i am sexy and natural :D

eboyd Date: Thursday, 19/Nov/09, 5:27 PM | Message # 40

Heads
Quote (Menace)
i am sexy and natural

facepalm

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Menace Date: Thursday, 19/Nov/09, 5:39 PM | Message # 41

Heads
what ?? you know I'm all sexy and natural brow

I_Guy Date: Thursday, 19/Nov/09, 6:43 PM | Message # 42

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
No, because energy decays through a natural process into matter and anti-matter. If it decayed through divine intervention and we found that science couldn't possibly explain the decay of energy, then it wouldn't be natural, so since it can be explained through science, it's natural. It's as simple as that.

Would science deny an original state? That is all that is important. The details of the original state are needless, the notion of an original state is what counts.

eboyd Date: Thursday, 19/Nov/09, 7:56 PM | Message # 43

Heads
How is the original state at all relevant to the definition of the word natural? Something that is natural is scientifically provable. In other words, there's either already enough evidence supporting it for us to say it is practically a fact because we've proven it beyond a preponderance of evidence (and of course you have things that occasionally get proven to be incorrect, ie Pluto losing it's status as a planet), or it will someday be proven by a preponderance of evidence. Anything that exists that is not provable by science is, in fact, supernatural. It doesn't matter if the laws of the universe were created in the big bang, or if the natural state of the universe was different in any way prior to the big bang. It simply comes down to this: if we can find a preponderance of evidence to support it's existence, it is natural. If scientists can factually say "we've arrived at a wall. We will never be able to explain this with science" then it will be evident that the object or concept they are describing is supernatural. But guess what? That would mean that we would have to start accepting more supernatural explanations for things and we would have to give less credence to science in certain cases and that is absurd to me.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

I_Guy Date: Thursday, 19/Nov/09, 10:00 PM | Message # 44

Heads
You seem to have forgotten the original point. I was defending how we can call something more natural than other things based on how far it is from the original state, (if we conclude that the original state gave matter a beginning).

If we conclude that matter had no beginning, then everything would be natural and there would be nothing more natural than anything else, but then in that case nothing would be natural because the term negates itself. Hope you read the long post because I cover that.

Are you saying that natural escapes the certainty continuum?

eboyd Date: Thursday, 19/Nov/09, 10:32 PM | Message # 45

Heads
Nature has nothing to do with the certainty continuum. Nature is one of the few things that doesn't lie on a continuum. There's that which is natural, that which doesn't exist, and possibly the supernatural (though highly unlikely).

And I hadn't forgotten the original point. I was directly addressing the original point. Even if the original state gave matter a beginning (ie the Higgs Boson, which I do believe to be true and that we will find it when we finally do our experiments using the LHC. The experiments we've done thus far show that the likelihood of it is quite high) that does not make other things less natural. That is simply putting your own definition on things.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Forum » Knowledge » Philosophy/Science » What Is Natural
Search: