[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Forum moderator: I_Guy, s0dr2, El_Matador  
Forum » Knowledge » Philosophy/Science » The Concept of a Person (Do you believe that identity exists?)
The Concept of a Person
I_Guy Date: Wednesday, 18/Nov/09, 11:03 PM | Message # 1

Heads
Do you believe that identity exists? If so, how can you dare prove it?

We all know that each of our end is near; the question is do we accept the end of our living existence, or do we accept our existence as dead men...
eboyd Date: Wednesday, 18/Nov/09, 11:27 PM | Message # 2

Heads
Please define identity and then I will address this. Btw, CHECK MY POEM! Lol!

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

I_Guy Date: Wednesday, 18/Nov/09, 11:31 PM | Message # 3

Heads
Identity as in we are separate entities with distinct characteristics. The kind of identity that allows us to feel individual and apart from other humans.

We all know that each of our end is near; the question is do we accept the end of our living existence, or do we accept our existence as dead men...
eboyd Date: Wednesday, 18/Nov/09, 11:57 PM | Message # 4

Heads
Well, there's definitely a sense of something more than just my body as machine. I'd probably side more with the dual-aspect theory.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

EmSeeD Date: Thursday, 19/Nov/09, 0:37 AM | Message # 5

Heads
i think we have distinct characteristics, some people have similar personalities though.

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
LLyRiC Date: Thursday, 19/Nov/09, 1:00 AM | Message # 6

Emcees
wow this is too deep for my thought process
please explain this dual-aspect theory u speak of
eric. lol

L.L.y.R.i.C.

L.et L.oose Y.our R.eal I.nner C.reativity

spreading the word through my music
that real true hip hop that i love

I_Guy Date: Thursday, 19/Nov/09, 2:23 AM | Message # 7

Heads
Quote (LLyRiC)
eric. lol

I believe he is referring to the concepts of the mind being separate from our bodies, therefore resulting in a dual function.

Quote (eboyd)
I'd probably side more with the dual-aspect theory.

Why so?

Quote (eboyd)
Well, there's definitely a sense of something more than just my body as machine.

I agree. There does seem to be something going on. However I don't underestimate the power of illusion. But I don't want to get too into that.

I guess my real question is, do we have any power over our identity? I would say no.

eboyd Date: Thursday, 19/Nov/09, 3:02 AM | Message # 8

Heads
Quote (LLyRiC)
eric. lol

Haha! Np man. If you ever take a philosophy class you'll learn about it. The [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-aspect_theory]Dual (or Double) Aspect Theory[\url] is a theory within the field of Philosophy of the Mind, specifically referring to the mind-body problem. Click on the aforementioned links to gain a better understanding of these concepts. What the dual aspect theory is, in a nutshell, though is an idea that our minds and our brains are two different aspects of the same substance.

Quote (I_Guy)
I believe he is referring to the concepts of the mind being separate from our bodies, therefore resulting in a dual function.

I think you are confusing the dual-aspect theory with some form of dualism. It isn't really dualism or monism, though it probably fits more closely under the blanket of monism than dualism. Basically, I agree that it is one substance, but there is more to that substance than just physical hard-wiring and such. It may not be a "mind", but thinking is definitely more than just a testable reaction. We may find a way, in the future, to fully and accurately test though after it has occurred and predict it before it occurs, but it is still, to me, a separate aspect of the physical substance of the brain is necessary and only makes sense to me logically. We aren't just advanced computers.

I'm surprised with you man. Usually you know all of your philosophical ideas. I figured you know about the dual-aspect theory. That's ok though.

Btw, Daniel Dennett made a pretty unique and cool case for dualism. I'll show it to you if I find it.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

eboyd Date: Thursday, 19/Nov/09, 3:09 AM | Message # 9

Heads
Quote (I_Guy)
I guess my real question is, do we have any power over our identity? I would say no.

This is where we will have to differ because implying a yes/no question is, I believe, a false dilemma. It's a more complicated question in my mind. It depends. I would say we do have a limited amount of control over out identity, but that much of it is already determined by human attributes derived from birth and/or our culture.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

eboyd Date: Thursday, 19/Nov/09, 3:20 AM | Message # 10

Heads
Here is Daniel Dennett's essay "Where Am I?" That I was speaking about. It is well-written, wildly entertaining, and most of all, thought-provoking.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

I_Guy Date: Thursday, 19/Nov/09, 3:24 AM | Message # 11

Heads
I agree, it is complex, but to answer it we have to incorporate psychological theories of behavior, and philosophical theories of mind, and then the philosophical theories of causes. Both harbor theories that conclude we have no control over our identity.

Psychological theories
-Behaviorism/Enviromentalism (nuture)
-Instinctivism (nature)

Both of the above would say that we have no control. The only one that would say we do have control is the most modern theory: the Psychoanalytic theory which supports free will. However its notion of free will conflicts with the most modern philosophical theories of mind, except under dualism, (which I think is clearly wrong, and outdated). The theories of causes (determinism, indeterminism, deliberatism [as I call it], etc) also play a role in deciding.

Basically if "mind" and "free will" is in fact an illusion, then we would have no actual control over our identity, (if we want to define identity as really being something).

eboyd Date: Thursday, 19/Nov/09, 3:43 AM | Message # 12

Heads
Read what Dennett has to say. According to his hypothetical, Dualism is not at all out-dated.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Menace Date: Thursday, 19/Nov/09, 8:08 AM | Message # 13

Heads
identity is a social construct the environment that we live in and the things we go trough life builds our identities and personalities identity is constructed in time you guys are too analytic on this subject identity is a product of nature even in less evolved species

joker Date: Thursday, 19/Nov/09, 8:39 AM | Message # 14

Watchers
this sounds so fucking retarded
eboyd Date: Thursday, 19/Nov/09, 9:27 AM | Message # 15

Watchers
[quote=Joker]this sounds so fucking retarded [/quote]

Stfu and go eat a coconut

[quote=Menace]identity is a social construct the environment that we live in and the things we go trough life builds our identities and personalities identity is constructed in time you guys are too analytic on this subject identity is a product of nature even in less evolved species [/quote]

Dude, you are speaking on a COMPLETELY different subject. This is in regards to philosophy of the mind, specifically the body-mind problem. We do not deny the social constructs that effect the way your identity changes over time, we are simply referring to what constitutes consciousness. Is it a physical construct where all is one and there is no distinguishing between body and mind (monism), are there two distinctly different substances (dualism), or is it all one substance that has two aspects to it (dual/double-aspect theory)? That is the real question.

Forum » Knowledge » Philosophy/Science » The Concept of a Person (Do you believe that identity exists?)
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Search: