[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
Forum moderator: I_Guy, s0dr2, El_Matador  
Forum » Knowledge » Philosophy/Science » Media Violence (Debate)
Media Violence (Debate)
ilikebacon3000 Date: Monday, 07/Dec/09, 7:32 AM | Message # 16

Emcees
-_- hah.

Life's a bitch and I'm just along for the ride.
eboyd Date: Monday, 07/Dec/09, 9:28 AM | Message # 17

Heads
The worst atrocities in the world occur not at the hands of evil people, but at the hands of the apathetic masses who do nothing to stop them.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

EmSeeD Date: Monday, 07/Dec/09, 9:16 PM | Message # 18

Heads
idk about violence, but i think people can be influenced by the media, like even the news, little kids watching programs like seseme street which is meant to help educate them,

the only thing violent or horror movies seems to do to kids is make them afraid of the dark etc, really young kids can even be scared of things that aren't meant to be that scary like my little sister was having nightmares when she was about 4 after she watched spiderman 2

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
ilikebacon3000 Date: Tuesday, 08/Dec/09, 4:15 PM | Message # 19

Emcees
Quote (EmSeeD)
little kids watching programs like seseme street which is meant to help educate them,

Great point.

Life's a bitch and I'm just along for the ride.
s0dr2 Date: Saturday, 09/Jan/10, 2:58 PM | Message # 20

OGs
which is worse for children to watch: watching someone get murdered or someone getting raped?

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

ritesofpasage Date: Sunday, 10/Jan/10, 9:25 PM | Message # 21

DJs
Can media influence children to commit crimes:

Army sets up Video Game Studio

Check out my melody faithfulness is the fidelity of my soundtrack to that of the heavenlies.....
J-Breakz Date: Sunday, 10/Jan/10, 10:12 PM | Message # 22

Heads
Quote (8Diagrams)
The worst atrocities in the world occur not at the hands of evil people, but at the hands of the apathetic masses who do nothing to stop them.

Eboyd didn't say that, that's a quote from someone else lol

livin life like some cheesy movie
eboyd Date: Monday, 11/Jan/10, 4:43 AM | Message # 23

Heads
No, I did say that. Of course it came originally from someone else if that's what you mean, but in this thread I was the person who said that.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Dookie Date: Monday, 11/Jan/10, 9:35 AM | Message # 24

Emcees
in the long run the media spoonfeeds people bullshit, and most people believe it, if its news because they are accustomed into believing it or some crackpot fake history, or they get distracted away from true education through entertainment, so its a lose lose situation. They are finding in studies in the UK children who watch tv or exposed to a lot of it are having trouble in properly communicating with other people and that it inhibits this, also the thing with tv the masses are that caught up in discussing fantasy drama crap on the tv, instead of discussing politics or something relevant that its rather scary prospect. Western Culture is a dead culture (a generalization but you get what i mean).

Added (11/Jan/10, 9:35 Am)
---------------------------------------------
and regardless it would have some kind of influence anyways, if not conciously then sub conciously.

Added (11/Jan/10, 9:35 Am)
i spelt consciouly wrong :(

Intelligence is the understanding of self - Bruce Lee
J-Breakz Date: Tuesday, 12/Jan/10, 1:56 AM | Message # 25

Heads
Quote (8Diagrams)
Do violent images/lyrical themes influence the impressionable youth? I'd say it depends on said child. If they have certain triggers it certainly could. But if it is a reserved person I seriously doubt it. Not to say there haven't been silent killers before.

This is debatable but really we shouldn't even be worrying about this. The problem is parents/guardians allowing their children to be exposed to the glorification of immoral acts, not the glorification of immoral acts itself. If concerned parents paid more attention to their children they would make sure the children were aware that the music like 50 cent, or movies like scarface are purely for entertainment purposes.

J-Breakz Date: Tuesday, 12/Jan/10, 1:58 AM | Message # 26

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
Of course it came originally from someone else if that's what you mean

That's what I meant lol

eboyd Date: Tuesday, 12/Jan/10, 8:07 AM | Message # 27

Heads
Oh ok. Btw, I've argued on this topic before. Here's my view:

While on an individual level it is ultimately up to parents to teach an individual child while they are young and impressionable that such things as we have been discussing in this thread are solely for entertainment purposes, it is not reasonable to expect every parent to be a proper parent. We can set up programs and such to try to make more parents responsible, but such programs can only be so effective. Ultimately it comes down to the media being more responsible for what they present to young, impressionable kids. We need to care more about the effects of such things on people than about the amount of money we can make by marketing the glorification of violence, misogyny, etc.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Dookie Date: Thursday, 14/Jan/10, 4:19 AM | Message # 28

Emcees
Quote (eboyd)
While on an individual level it is ultimately up to parents to teach an individual child while they are young and impressionable that such things as we have been discussing in this thread are solely for entertainment purposes, it is not reasonable to expect every parent to be a proper parent. We can set up programs and such to try to make more parents responsible, but such programs can only be so effective. Ultimately it comes down to the media being more responsible for what they present to young, impressionable kids. We need to care more about the effects of such things on people than about the amount of money we can make by marketing the glorification of violence, misogyny, etc.

100 percent agree.

Added (14/Jan/10, 4:19 Am)
also with you aswell J-Breakz. 100 percent

Intelligence is the understanding of self - Bruce Lee
eboyd Date: Thursday, 14/Jan/10, 3:39 PM | Message # 29

Heads
But my comment and J-Breakz's comment were in direct opposition to each other... ? %) lol

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

J-Breakz Date: Friday, 15/Jan/10, 1:39 PM | Message # 30

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
it is not reasonable to expect every parent to be a proper parent.

Than we should place the responsibility on the parents still.

There will always be violence, sex, and drugs in the world. If the kid doesn't see it on the TV, he/she is going to see it somewhere else. It comes down to the parents/guardian raising the kid right. It's the parents raising the child, not the media. If the parents aren't good parents then we should focus on the parents being bad parents, not the media providing a service.

Forum » Knowledge » Philosophy/Science » Media Violence (Debate)
Search: