[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Forum moderator: I_Guy, s0dr2, El_Matador  
Forum » Knowledge » Philosophy/Science » Media Violence (Debate)
Media Violence (Debate)
8Diagrams Date: Sunday, 06/Dec/09, 3:25 PM | Message # 1

Emcees
I was listening to a shitload of music with murder, war, etc. related topics and I wondered the age old question and I want to see what people here think:
Do violent images/lyrical themes influence the impressionable youth? I'd say it depends on said child. If they have certain triggers it certainly could. But if it is a reserved person I seriously doubt it. Not to say there haven't been silent killers before.

"Everything needs work, but you can't work on everything." - Anonymous
ilikebacon3000 Date: Sunday, 06/Dec/09, 3:28 PM | Message # 2

Emcees
No. They don't. Well, I guess..
I see that shit on the news and it pisses me off. It makes me think "Why are they showing me this? Why do I give a fuck if our world is fucked up? Why am I going to have to deal with YOUR shit?"
I will get bashed for this, but in the words of Limp Bizkit, this is how it makes me feel.
"We don't, don't give a fuck and
We won't, won't give a fuck, un-
Til you, you give a fuck about me,
and my generation."

Life's a bitch and I'm just along for the ride.
eboyd Date: Sunday, 06/Dec/09, 3:38 PM | Message # 3

Heads
8, That isn't necessary.

Anyways, I have a thought out opinion on this, but I have neither the time nor patience at the moment to post it. Maybe later.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

EmSeeD Date: Sunday, 06/Dec/09, 3:43 PM | Message # 4

Heads
Quote (8Diagrams)
Of course you think that, you're a goddamn suburban white kid but that's not relevant here.

and you're a suburbian half black half japanese kid

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
Menace Date: Sunday, 06/Dec/09, 3:53 PM | Message # 5

Heads
Quote (ilikebacon3000)
I see that shit on the news and it pisses me off. It makes me think "Why are they showing me this? Why do I give a fuck if our world is fucked up? Why am I going to have to deal with YOUR shit?"
I will get bashed for this, but in the words of Limp Bizkit, this is how it makes me feel.
and my generation."

thats the problem thats the difference between the 60's generation or the Generation X of the 90's and this generation those generation didn't need others help to be heard they made themselves heard nobody gives a fuck about you and your generation your generation makes herself heard this new generation is whiny , lazy , spoiled and incompetent . On this subject matter i don't know we need to go deeper here it depends on many factors it depends from individual to individual .

TheWatcher Date: Sunday, 06/Dec/09, 3:54 PM | Message # 6

Heads
Quote (ilikebacon3000)
and my generation."

You're so far from the norm I don't even know how to argue with that. But on topic: I don't think it does influence any mentally stable person to go out and shoot somebody or do whatever he/she sees in the movies or hears on the radio. It could potentially be extremely dangerous for someone who isn't sane to see a violent movie or listen to a violent song but that's a person who's bound to have problems with something sooner or later, you can't just pin it on music or television. Television does glorify certain things though, ie. sex, violence etc. And may influence certain people, young girls for an example to be promiscuous (not that I mind.. a lot, unless it's someone I'm close to :p ) But there's a lot of bs on TV like Gossip Girl where it pretty much shows all the young girls in the world how cool it is to be a bitch. I blame Gossip Girl, the 90210 remake and all of that shit for the bitches.

Message edited by TheWatcher - Sunday, 06/Dec/09, 3:54 PM
Menace Date: Sunday, 06/Dec/09, 3:57 PM | Message # 7

Heads
Quote (8Diagrams)
Would it have been better if I said it like this???

of course it makes a difference when your style of argumentation is approachable

Menace Date: Sunday, 06/Dec/09, 4:02 PM | Message # 8

Heads
Quote (8Diagrams)
Bacon still sucks dick though

he actually does :D

ilikebacon3000 Date: Sunday, 06/Dec/09, 4:03 PM | Message # 9

Emcees
Quote (TheWatcher)
You're so far from the norm

Wtf? Not really. I'm just like every other suburban white kid. Whiney and complainy. Sure, if your talking about where I am in the suburban community, I am in the lower end because my mom works 3 jobs and I have to walk 2 miles to school everyday because my mom can't drive me to school in a fucking lexus. But again, thats not relevant.

Quote (Menace)
thats the problem thats the difference between the 60's generation or the Generation X of the 90's and this generation those generation didn't need others help to be heard they made themselves heard nobody gives a fuck about you and your generation your generation makes herself heard this new generation is whiny , lazy , spoiled and incompetent

Your part of my generation too Menace. You and I are in generation Y. I am on the far far far young end of it, and almost in generation Z. You are in the older end and closer to generation X.
Anyways, is it our fault that the media and world in general is so fucked up? No. I shouldn't have to think "Damn. I might get drafted simply because some dumbfuck in DC made a stupid decision.". I just feel cheated out. It's like were damned if we do something, and damned if don't.
I could go get an education, and do something "good" for my community, and try to get rich and be like every other suburban white guy. Play football, watch CNN, and go to church.
or I could be a poser and try to act like some sort of misunderstood revolutionary and get kicked out of school for bringing drugs to school or something.
Either way, there is still a global economic crisis. There are still people poorer than me across the nation and the world. There are still rich people flaunting their money on the news every time they donate to some charity trying to make themselves look good. There are still old people arguing about how to fight the drug war, and whose money is whose, and who gave (insert weapon of mass destruction here) to who, and whether or not religion should be taught in school.
So quite frankly, I just don't care. The topic is irrelevant because either way, the world is still fucked to the point that it's just not worth worrying about.

ilikebacon3000 Date: Sunday, 06/Dec/09, 4:29 PM | Message # 10

Emcees
Quote (8Diagrams)
True But when saying that in seriousness it can only be in Rant.

Me or someone else?

Added (06/Dec/09, 4:29 Pm)
---------------------------------------------
I froze the thread :(

Menace Date: Sunday, 06/Dec/09, 4:30 PM | Message # 11

Heads
Quote (ilikebacon3000)
Your part of my generation too Menace. You and I are in generation Y. I am on the far far far young end of it, and almost in generation Z. You are in the older end and closer to generation X.
Anyways, is it our fault that the media and world in general is so fucked up? No. I shouldn't have to think "Damn. I might get drafted simply because some dumbfuck in DC made a stupid decision.". I just feel cheated out. It's like were damned if we do something, and damned if don't.
I could go get an education, and do something "good" for my community, and try to get rich and be like every other suburban white guy. Play football, watch CNN, and go to church.
or I could be a poser and try to act like some sort of misunderstood revolutionary and get kicked out of school for bringing drugs to school or something.
Either way, there is still a global economic crisis. There are still people poorer than me across the nation and the world. There are still rich people flaunting their money on the news every time they donate to some charity trying to make themselves look good. There are still old people arguing about how to fight the drug war, and whose money is whose, and who gave (insert weapon of mass destruction here) to who, and whether or not religion should be taught in school.
So quite frankly, I just don't care. The topic is irrelevant because either way, the world is still fucked to the point that it's just not worth worrying about.

If everyone had your pessimist attitude the world would be already sunk and done whit . Social change social reform come from below last year when the Greek riots ( maybe you saw them on the news ) began i traveled to Greece and drafted my 10 point program to the student movements there now after they made themselves heard their pleads were answered . The lesson i learned is that when you shut up and whine nobody listens to you but when you organize and fight the worlds eyes are upon you and your pleads are always heard . And i don't think anyone has the moral right to judge this world . Until you do something about it you don't have the right to judge it .

ilikebacon3000 Date: Sunday, 06/Dec/09, 8:48 PM | Message # 12

Emcees
Quote (8Diagrams)

Yes, I knew that LB sorta refferenced/ripped them off.
That song, and most LB songs have constant rip-offs/references.

Adam Date: Monday, 07/Dec/09, 7:15 AM | Message # 13

B-Girls
Bacon from your avatar it looks like you think very deeply. You must care. Or your just high.

I JUST EXPLODED INTO RAINBOWS AND LOLLIPOPS!
ilikebacon3000 Date: Monday, 07/Dec/09, 7:25 AM | Message # 14

Emcees
Quote (Adam)
Bacon from your avatar it looks like you think very deeply. You must care. Or your just high.

Haha thats probably the only picture you will find of me looking like that.
I wasn't high. I was at pizza hut and taken by surprise.
I guess I care somewhat, it's just hard to do that when it all feels so fucked up. Like for example, that debt clock that 8 diagrams posted? Even though I think it was sarcastic (maybe), we are still DEEP in debt. Deep enough where it just seems so fucked that there is no point in caring unless you are the one with billions of dollars. You know?

Adam Date: Monday, 07/Dec/09, 7:27 AM | Message # 15

B-Girls
Nah brah I don't. I just wanna party all night man. Just have beers all day today man its gonna be great brah.

I JUST EXPLODED INTO RAINBOWS AND LOLLIPOPS!
Forum » Knowledge » Philosophy/Science » Media Violence (Debate)
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Search: