[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Forum moderator: ThaScience, Aristotle, El_Matador  
Forum » Real HIP HOP Forever » Hip Hop History/Knowledge » Does Rap Put Teens at Risk? (Article)
Does Rap Put Teens at Risk?
Chinita Date: Thursday, 26/Mar/09, 5:09 PM | Message # 1

Heads
Now remember i just post news and articles i find interesting for our site, doesnt mean i agree with them. found this on webmd.com its interesting and a good topic.

Study: Association Found Between Video Viewing Time and Risky Behaviors
By Sid Kirchheimer
WebMD Health NewsMarch 3, 2003 -- Teens who spend more time watching the sex and violence depicted in the "reel" life of "gangsta" rap music videos are more likely to practice these behaviors in real life, suggests one of the first studies to specifically explore how rap videos influence emotional and physical health.

After studying 522 black girls between the ages of 14 and 18 from non-urban, lower socioeconomic neighborhoods, researchers found that compared to those who never or rarely watched these videos, the girls who viewed these gangsta videos for at least 14 hours per week were far more likely to practice numerous destructive behaviors. Over the course of the one-year study, they were:

Three times more likely to hit a teacher
Over 2.5 times more likely to get arrested
Twice as likely to have multiple sexual partners
1.5 times more likely to get a sexually transmitted disease, use drugs, or drink alcohol.

"What is particularly alarming about our findings is that we didn't find an association with just violence or one or two risky behaviors," says researcher Ralph J. DiClemente, PhD, of Emory University's Rollins School of Public Health. "We found an association with a string of these behaviors."

His study, published in the March issue of the American Journal of Public Health, only involved black girls living in Birmingham, Ala. -- all of whom were already sexually active. While the researchers surveyed viewing habits for various types of rap videos, gangsta rap was by far the most popular among the girls practicing these destructive behaviors.

"We wanted to focus on young, African American women, a population that is very vulnerable," DiClemente tells WebMD. "In these videos, men hold the power and women don't and as a result, are subservient. I'm not sure that the girls in our study were lashing out because of this, but more likely role-modeling the behaviors they see. The women in these videos are doing OK, they're hanging around with a man who is powerful, affluent, going to nice clubs and wearing nice clothes. For these girls, they may not be a bad thing."

His team is currently expanding its research to investigate how these and other rap videos may influence behaviors across other racial, gender and socioeconomic lines. Although gangsta rap videos depict tough inner-city "street" life, their largest viewing audience is white suburban youth, who have better access to cable television channels such as MTV and BET (Black Entertainment Television).

Of course, this isn't the first time that rebellious music has been blamed for society's ills. From Elvis to Columbine, the songs of music-obsessed youth have often been blamed for anti-social behavior. But rap -- and in particular, the especially violent and sexually-explicit gangsta variety -- has raised special concern.

Chinita Date: Thursday, 26/Mar/09, 5:09 PM | Message # 2

Heads
"Most children between ages 2 and 18 spend upwards of seven hours a day ingesting some sort of media," says Susan Buttross, MD, FAAP, chief of child development and behavioral pediatrics at the University of Mississippi Medical Center and spokeswoman for the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP). "We know that with any type of repeated media exposure, a desensitization can occur that makes these behaviors seem normal. So this finding doesn't surprise me at all."

Buttross, who was not involved in DiClemente's study, is a member of the AAP's committee on public education, which has written several policies warning about the effects the media has on children's' behavior. Her committee is currently updating its 2001 policy statement that found 75% of music videos involved sexual imagery, and more than half involved violence -- usually against women. In 1996, the AAP issued another policy statement that was critical of rap music.

But others feel that rap is getting a bad rap. "Yes, there are rap videos that are particularly violent or sexual, but let's look at what is more important in whether or not these kids act out of behaviors -- their family structure and the type of parenting they get," says Cheryl Keyes, PhD, associate professor of ethnomusicology at UCLA and author of Rap Music and Street Consciousness. "Parents need to get more involved in what their children are watching."

No argument from DiClemente or Buttross.

"You cannot stick your head in the sand and expect your child will only look at good stuff," says Buttross. "Parents need to know what their children are being exposed to. Certainly, rap is not the only music that portrays negative stereotypes or can negatively impact behaviors, and not all rap music should be implicated. But there have been nearly 1,000 studies that have looked at the effects that the media has on children's behavior. And nearly all of them find there is a strong effect."

TheWatcher Date: Thursday, 26/Mar/09, 5:18 PM | Message # 3

Heads
Yes, Rap music is destroying our youth! We must stop it!

Horror movies are destroying our youth too, I hear emos are copying that girl from the ring these days, long black hair, looking like retards.

Grand theft auto is the devil's work! It's causing people to steal cars, STEAL CARS. People didn't steal cars pre-GTA did they? NO! Pictures or it didn't happen either way.

GTA is causing people to cut other people's heads of with a sword.

Bruce Lee movies are getting white people to kick people's ass.

Rush Hour inspired me to jump off a building like Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker.

Friday 3 got me running around in a Santa suit robbing people.

When Ice Cube said Fuck the Police I went, saw, conquered and fucked one.

Charlie Mansion was a TUPAC fan.

There were no murders before rap.

No robberies.

Back in the days people used to marry 12 year olds, BECAUSE THEY LISTENED TO RAP MUSIC.

When I saw the Dark Knight I started kicking clowns' asses on sight.

When I heard Tupac's Dear Mama I cried.

When I heard shook ones by Mobb Deep I rocked someone in his face and stabbed his brain with his nosebone.

THAT'S ALL.

Render215 Date: Thursday, 26/Mar/09, 5:25 PM | Message # 4

Emcees
Music doesn't put a teenager in any greater danger than recruiting him/her into armed combat at 17-18...

"People said his brain was infected by Devils..."
Menace Date: Thursday, 26/Mar/09, 5:29 PM | Message # 5

Heads
Quote (Render215)
Music doesn't put a teenager in any greater danger than recruiting him/her into armed combat at 17-18..

well said

Render215 Date: Thursday, 26/Mar/09, 5:31 PM | Message # 6

Emcees
Thanks, Menace.. Nice 2 meet u.. btw.. i still like H20 dams... lol

"People said his brain was infected by Devils..."
Menace Date: Thursday, 26/Mar/09, 5:50 PM | Message # 7

Heads
i don't even know what that means LOL

TheWatcher Date: Thursday, 26/Mar/09, 6:04 PM | Message # 8

Heads
Sorry for not having been more clear before.. I actually had a point there happy

I haven't read the article but I have read similar ones (will read this one tomorrow).

I believe all that crap is bullshit. Kids don't grow up to kill someone because of movies/music.. If you're crazy chances are you're going to do it anyway and if you let someone on TV influence you to kill somebody or follow some other murderer's example or what ever you were probably just going to do it anyway, your mind doesn't function the way it should be.

You're not going to have 'sex' with anyone because some rapper said 'I like to fuck bitches', you're going to fuck someone because you want to! Or not, if that's your thing. Chances are you won't be shooting up the club either even if someone said 'I was rollin with muh thugs, shootin up the clubs, uhh'. If you do, don't blame the rap song, blame yourself for being an idiot/psycho.

I'm not sure how well I made my point but ehh, Hardcore Gangsta rap MIGHT attract the violent/sluts/w/e as well as others but it does NOT change you, none of these guys are using some shit to hypnotize you.

I'm tired tho so I'll go get some rest

LoveThatHipHop Date: Thursday, 26/Mar/09, 6:11 PM | Message # 9

Emcees
it understandable why people might be concerned, but where does personal responsibility enter the issue? I mean these girls (I hope) have their own brains. And from what we hear everyday, nothing good comes from things like violence, drugs, and prostitution.

Because I'm cool like dat. I'm chill like dat. I'm peace like dat.
Boner-Jamz-11 Date: Thursday, 26/Mar/09, 6:16 PM | Message # 10

Rappers
Quote (Render215)
recruiting him/her into armed combat at 17-18...

i get so many fuckin shit through the mail from the army, i should just join so i can sharpen my killer skills

#TeamHipster
#SWAGSWAG

TUMBLR CLICK CLICK CLICK!
ill Date: Thursday, 26/Mar/09, 6:42 PM | Message # 11

Emcees
nah fuck that, just people are misguided

The World Is Yours
Boner-Jamz-11 Date: Friday, 27/Mar/09, 1:36 AM | Message # 12

Rappers
Gangsta rap made me do it

#TeamHipster
#SWAGSWAG

Boner-Jamz-11 Date: Friday, 27/Mar/09, 1:47 AM | Message # 13

Rappers
and for my serious post about this topic....

Does rap effect teens???...... Answer... Yes is does (25%)

How many teens are following the current trends that are in hip hop right now???? Millions... You gotta know that a lot of these (dumbass) teens out there are followers and are just flat out stupid, they do the type of shit that seems cool. The dumbasses look up and worship these commercial rappers, they would mimic their favorite rappers just to be cool. Its about being Smart/dumb and leader/follower

#TeamHipster
#SWAGSWAG

howsyourmom Date: Friday, 27/Mar/09, 2:24 PM | Message # 14

Rappers
Those with sensibility aren't susceptible to this, they may adapt to a similar lifestyle but have enough common sense to determine right from wrong despite the fact that their favourite rapper only talks about wrong.

People don't understand the people who try to be "gangsters" act like clowns in an attempt to emulate their favourite rapper, they either fail miserably or end up dead. They don't realize that most real gangsters are still humble and the ones that aren't are soon to be dead, incarcerated or turn mature.

RIP Toba Chung
http://realhiphop4ever.ucoz.com/forum/8-1668-1
Menace Date: Friday, 27/Mar/09, 2:33 PM | Message # 15

Heads
Blaze trends are part of the capitalist consumer culture excessive consumerism and trends effects cultures as hip hop and such but they rarely put actual people at RISK

Forum » Real HIP HOP Forever » Hip Hop History/Knowledge » Does Rap Put Teens at Risk? (Article)
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Search: