[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
Forum moderator: ThaScience, Aristotle, El_Matador  
Forum » Real HIP HOP Forever » Hip Hop History/Knowledge » What are the Sub Genres of Hip hop?
What are the Sub Genres of Hip hop?
Menace Date: Saturday, 25/Jul/09, 8:14 AM | Message # 31

Heads
Quote (Lord Meth)
I wanna be a great producer sometime in the future, but you have to crawl before you can walk. Right now Im just getting the basics down...still learning...in time I will go to Art School and learn music so I CAN become a musician..I wanna learn to play the piano actually....Im not even considered a musician even by my own standards! I never even called myself one. Im still new to making beats. You TALK like you kno the elements of music..then make some!! Dont tell me wat to do if your foot isnt on the pedal as well...no disrespect....how the fuck did we een get on this topic? Arent we talking about Crunk isnt Pop music? Wat does me and my abilitiy to make music have anything to do with that?

i actually play the piano ;) and i play the guitar too but guitar playing always puzzles me and even if i didn't play shit people study music so they can develop e good taste in music and i asked you if you understand music because musically Crunk is categorized as Urban Pop

El_Matador Date: Saturday, 25/Jul/09, 9:20 AM | Message # 32

Heads
Quote (Menace)
i actually play the piano

MENACE 2 JOKER: Go back to Mexico you damn spic
JOKER 2 MENACE: Shut up you fake nigga your a damn sand nigger not a full nigger

Menace Date: Saturday, 25/Jul/09, 10:11 AM | Message # 33

Heads
LOL ^^^^ :D tough that's a hot track no doubt

Lord_Meth Date: Saturday, 25/Jul/09, 12:53 PM | Message # 34

Heads
Quote (Menace)
i actually play the piano and i play the guitar too but guitar playing always puzzles me and even if i didn't play shit people study music so they can develop e good taste in music and i asked you if you understand music because musically Crunk is categorized as Urban Pop

Yea I came to accept that Crunk is Urban Pop...no prob

Sick With It
J-Breakz Date: Saturday, 25/Jul/09, 6:02 PM | Message # 35

Heads
WEll lemme play devil's advocate: Crunk was underground for awhile in the 90s before it got mainstream attention in the 2000's. It may not be concious or anything but it's focused on gettin people to dance. Hip hop started out as just trying to get people to dance. Infact there's some artists like Playa Fly that doesn't embrace materialism in his rhymes, usually speaking on a deeper, more political level but still makes crunk music.

livin life like some cheesy movie
Menace Date: Saturday, 25/Jul/09, 6:11 PM | Message # 36

Heads
it uses pop music cadences and pop sounds the only difference is they use synthesizers and Crunk has no connection to hip hop culture i would say Crunk is Urban Pop music Pop music made for the Urban peeps

J-Breakz Date: Saturday, 25/Jul/09, 6:17 PM | Message # 37

Heads
urban pop

urban pop would be considered pop hip hop. Electro does not have much similarities with most hip hop and is made purely to get people to dance but it would still be considered hip hop. Also, I wouldn't say pop sounds. The sounds are sounds used in rave techno music.

Message edited by J-Breakz - Saturday, 25/Jul/09, 6:17 PM
eboyd Date: Saturday, 25/Jul/09, 7:51 PM | Message # 38

Heads
Quote (J-Breakz)
The sounds are sounds used in rave techno music.

techno is a heavy influence on current pop music though.

Quote (J-Breakz)
urban pop would be considered pop hip hop.

no, it would be considered pop rap. pop hip hop is practically an oxymoron.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

J-Breakz Date: Saturday, 25/Jul/09, 8:15 PM | Message # 39

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
pop hip hop is practically an oxymoron.

....whatever. Rap and hip hop has been pretty much thought of the same thing until KRS 1 said anythin about it.

Quote (eboyd)
techno is a heavy influence on current pop music though.

And so has funk music, folk, soul, classical, etc. etc.

eboyd Date: Saturday, 25/Jul/09, 8:20 PM | Message # 40

Heads
Quote (J-Breakz)
....whatever. Rap and hip hop has been pretty much thought of the same thing until KRS 1 said anythin about it.

dude, how would you know??? neither of us have actual authority over this. you weren't even born yet and i was like 1 year old when KRS was getting popular. the only sources either of us have is people who WERE around then and all of my reliable sources negate what you say.

Quote (J-Breakz)
And so has funk music, folk, soul, classical, etc. etc.

yes, but i am speaking of the heaviest influence on the current trend. it is none of those. it is techno.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

J-Breakz Date: Saturday, 25/Jul/09, 8:32 PM | Message # 41

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
the only sources either of us have is people who WERE around then and all of my reliable sources negate what you say.

wow. I have watched interviews of real emcees back in the 90s call what they do, rap. There's old school hip hop songs callin their music "Rap". dont make my ass dig for all that crap

Quote (eboyd)
yes, but i am speaking of the heaviest influence on the current trend. it is none of those. it is techno.

Ok, well crunk was originated in the 1990s, I suppose before the current trend started...

Message edited by J-Breakz - Saturday, 25/Jul/09, 8:32 PM
eboyd Date: Saturday, 25/Jul/09, 8:49 PM | Message # 42

Heads
Quote (J-Breakz)
Ok, well crunk was originated in the 1990s, I suppose before the current trend started...

this is true, however, the current trend of Crunk music and the brand of crunk that is well known is a part of pop culture. i haven't heard enough underground crunk to say whether it is a part of hip hop or not.

Quote (J-Breakz)
I have watched interviews of real emcees back in the 90s call what they do, rap.

they are rapping, but they are not rappers, they are emcees. they have always called themselves emcees. and as a matter of fact, many if not most old school/golden aged emcees said they were emceeing and not rapping. it's like KRS-One said (i'm too lazy to quote so i'll paraphrase), emcees are representatives of hip hop culture. rappers are representatives of corporate interests. an emcee can be a rapper, but a rapper can never be an emcee.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

EmSeeD Date: Saturday, 25/Jul/09, 8:54 PM | Message # 43

Heads
Quote (eboyd)

Oh, and Meth, you are retarded if you don't think crunk is pop music.

i saw the movie Beat Street and it had really old school songs, i think some were grandmaster flash and the furious 5 or something, but i actually did see some similarities between those songs and crunk.

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
J-Breakz Date: Saturday, 25/Jul/09, 9:03 PM | Message # 44

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
hey are rapping, but they are not rappers, they are emcees.

Im sorry, I meant they called their music rap. but we are gettin off topic

Message edited by J-Breakz - Saturday, 25/Jul/09, 9:04 PM
eboyd Date: Saturday, 25/Jul/09, 9:24 PM | Message # 45

Heads
Just as many if not more call their music hip hop music. Calling it rap is senseless because you exclude instrumental hip hop. You as a producer should know this better than anyone. Would you call your instrumental albums "rap music"? Or for a better example, would you call "Endtroducing" an album in the "rap music" category? No. You can't. If you did it would be illogical. Why? Rap music implies that there are vocals in the music, but in instrumental hip hop there are no vocals. Instrumental rap, therefore, would be an oxymoron. So why label some of it hip hop and some of it rap? Why not just label it all under the blanket of hip hop music? It's less confusing and time consuming and, after all, that's how it was originally considering the first hip hop songs (before hip hop was on record) were instrumentals anyways.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Forum » Real HIP HOP Forever » Hip Hop History/Knowledge » What are the Sub Genres of Hip hop?
Search: