[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Forum moderator: Aristotle, s0dr2  
Forum » Real HIP HOP Forever » Hip Hop News » Rapper Chuck D. Talks Flav's Fried Chicken; Flavor Gets To W
Rapper Chuck D. Talks Flav's Fried Chicken; Flavor Gets To W
abanks47 Date: Tuesday, 25/Jan/11, 11:51 PM | Message # 1

Emcees
Rapper Chuck D. Talks Flav's Fried Chicken; Flavor Gets To Work
http://allhiphop.com/stories/news/archive/2011/01/25/22567499.aspx

(AllHipHop News) Public Enemy founder Chuck D. has addressed comments and criticism regarding a new restaurant group member Flavor Flav recently opened in Clinton, Iowa.

Flavor Flav opened his business Flav's Fried Chicken last week, drawing worldwide media attention to the eatery, which is co-owned with restauranteur, Nick Cimino.

Some headlines ranged from humorous, saying the business set America back 60 years, while others used the opening to ask more serious questions about race in the media.

"He does groundbreaking sht in South Africa etc 71 tour 76 countries and press rather pay attention to asking me about Flavs chicken WTF?" Chuck D. tweeted. "I give FLAV credit I rather him sell something most people EAT ..like why does Popeye Bojangles and The Colonel get automatic blackfolk?"

Chuck D. pointed out that both Sean "Diddy" Combs (Justin's) and Shawn "Jay-Z" Carter (The 40/40 Club and Buffalo Boss) both have successful restaurants, which have not been scrutinized in the same manner as Flavor Flav's Fried Chicken.

"So the twitiot question here is how does 51 year old Flavor Flav make a living besides being a musician in PE? And would YOU support that? Flav opens a chicken frAnchise and thinks of entering where Diddy and your favorites have done. Mind u I don't drink OR eat chicken."

As for Flavor Flav, he seems to be brushing off the criticism. In a new interview with the Des Moines Register, Flavor explained that he planned to be very hands on with the business - literally.

"I don't want to be just known to have a spot," Flavor Flav said. "You're going to find me in here working. You're going to be catching me seasoning my chicken, flouring my chicken, frying up my chicken, and not only that, but serving my chicken to my people."

me: makes a good point above but i dont know. shit seems sad to me

A WELL DRESSED SKELETON SLOWLY CUTS YOUR THROAT.

"I Have No Fear Whatsoever of Anybody or Anything" -Malcolm X

“those who consider themselves the most adamant adherents of “real” hip-hop can also be the least knowledgeable.” –Adilifu Nama; an excert from his perception of Nas’s “Genesis”

EmSeeD Date: Wednesday, 26/Jan/11, 5:26 PM | Message # 2

Heads
hmm.. chuck d does make a good point, the only part i think is sad is that its a liquor and fried chicken place lol i'm surprised he didn't make it liquor chicken and watermelon. but fuck at least he's owning the business right? and i think its pretty cool he plans on actually working at the place

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
abanks47 Date: Wednesday, 26/Jan/11, 5:48 PM | Message # 3

Emcees
i dont want to put negative thoughts on him, because he states his fam can cook in some old episodes of flava of love and he made the females cook him chicken. so he may be trying to go all out in a legitimate business but...i dont know. i cant hate him for trying to get his money

“those who consider themselves the most adamant adherents of “real” hip-hop can also be the least knowledgeable.” –Adilifu Nama; an excert from his perception of Nas’s “Genesis”

Treach Date: Thursday, 27/Jan/11, 11:12 AM | Message # 4

OGs
whats the problem? the man got his own restaurant, good for him

"We took pride in intellect and skill
Now you gotta have some sex appeal to get a record deal"
- K-RINO
abanks47 Date: Thursday, 27/Jan/11, 2:33 PM | Message # 5

Emcees
some see it as degrading to blacks as he is pushing chicken and liquor at us (still not sure if he's serving that tho). 2 very terrible stereotypes of blacks not too mention just his presence on vh1 can be degrading to blacks imo

Treach Date: Thursday, 27/Jan/11, 3:47 PM | Message # 6

OGs
its a stupid stereotype

"We took pride in intellect and skill
Now you gotta have some sex appeal to get a record deal"
- K-RINO
abanks47 Date: Thursday, 27/Jan/11, 4:33 PM | Message # 7

Emcees
most if not all stereotypes are dumb but they still exist

Menace Date: Thursday, 27/Jan/11, 10:11 PM | Message # 8

Heads
Flavor Flav thinks a cliché is a good marketing move, we will see how good it is.

Lord_Meth Date: Thursday, 27/Jan/11, 11:03 PM | Message # 9

Heads
My opinion is the same as Menace's.
Im not saying he's wrong for tryna get his hustle on and Im not tryna crack jokes, but idk...Popeyes and KFC dominate the chicken joints plus there r other small chicken joints to compete with. Its vicious out there in the world of business.

Sick With It
ilikebacon3000 Date: Tuesday, 22/Feb/11, 8:59 AM | Message # 10

Emcees
Flav is an embarrassment. I don't think it would be as big of a deal if a normal black guy opened a chicken resteraunt, but when you have someone like Flav who was in PE, a militant hiphop group with strong lyrics about Black Nationalism, black power, etc... it's pure hypocricy.
one minute your ranting on about the "white man" and the next you're helping re-enforce the same stereotypes that you are bitching about for years.

I think flav has always been dumb anyways. I only have one PE album (fear of a black planet) and I think he only raps in one song (911 is a joke). the rest of the album is him just yelling shit and sounding like an idiot.. i mean sure he's a good hypeman but damn come on do something except sit there and go "YEAH YEAH YEAH FLAVA FLAV IN DIS BITCH" you know?

Life's a bitch and I'm just along for the ride.
eboyd Date: Tuesday, 22/Feb/11, 12:46 PM | Message # 11

Heads
Flavor Flav's job is simply to be the hype man in PE Bacon. that is why he doesn't do anything else usually, but when he does (ie: in "9/11's A Joke") he is actually pretty good. there's no reason to expect more than that from him because that is what Chuck D's job is.

that aside, i agree to an extent with Taylor on the hypocrisy of a black militant who is now reinforcing black stereotypes, but then again, fried chicken is fucking awesome tasting, especially when black people make it rofl

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

ilikebacon3000 Date: Tuesday, 22/Feb/11, 1:30 PM | Message # 12

Emcees
Quote (eboyd)
Flavor Flav's job is simply to be the hype man in PE Bacon. that is why he doesn't do anything else usually, but when he does (ie: in "9/11's A Joke") he is actually pretty good. there's no reason to expect more than that from him because that is what Chuck D's job is.

Well yeah, but you'd at least expect to him to be an intellectual of sorts since he's around guys like Chuck and Terminator X all the time. But nope, even outside of PE, he's still that same loud-mouthed retard.
And that by itself reinforces black stereotypes. Here's one I hear alot. "Black men are loud, uneducated apes."
We all know that's not true. But when Flav runs around just going "HURR DURR FLAVA FLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAV IMMA GO OPEN A CHICKEN RESTERAUNT FOR ALL MAH PEEPLEZ 2 EAT AT" it really makes him look like an idiot, and it reflects poorly on the hiphop community (meaning whites as well), and the black community in general.

But I must say... I do think fried chicken is quite tasty.

Now, I'm expecting a bunch of "Wow.. you're racist." comments, but I know I'm not racist, so it's not going to phase me. I'm just stating the facts, which is that Flava Flav closely resembles what a stereotypical black man would act like. I'm not saying that stereotype is good. I'm just saying, it is what it is.

eboyd Date: Tuesday, 22/Feb/11, 1:35 PM | Message # 13

Heads
i feel you on that. that said, "mom, can we go to Roscoe's now?" rofl

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

ilikebacon3000 Date: Tuesday, 22/Feb/11, 1:49 PM | Message # 14

Emcees
<_< all we have here is KFC dammit... and church's. and this place called Cane's which is the shit.

Menace Date: Tuesday, 22/Feb/11, 2:32 PM | Message # 15

Heads
He should open a WATERMELON kiosk :D

Forum » Real HIP HOP Forever » Hip Hop News » Rapper Chuck D. Talks Flav's Fried Chicken; Flavor Gets To W
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Search: