[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
Forum moderator: ThaScience, s0dr2  
Forum » Knowledge » Religion » What Is Your Religious Orientation? ((If you had to label yourself, what would you be?))
What Is Your Religious Orientation?
eboyd Date: Monday, 18/Jan/10, 3:56 PM | Message # 76

Heads
Quote (Pensmoke)
Go cop the album. lol J/K

ha! i'd buy it but i'm broke as a joke lol! i'm definitely down to help promote/sell it though.

Quote (Pensmoke)
I grew up in Memphis, dealt with racism from various groups, (mainly from white upper-class private school kids after being sent to an alleged "Christian" private school after my grades started dropping from running with 'the hoodlums'), was institutionalized for allegedly trying to 'stab' a family member (it was self defense), sold and used drugs, boosted, and got into things I am not proud of. I was not raised in a 'religion' or any Church. In 1994 a woman who had begun hanging out with the woman who raised me and who had been through multiple family deaths her son's suicide, and basically a hell of a life, came and witnessed to me about Jesus Christ. I accepted Christ and was born again right there as soon as she finished speaking to me.

that's a great story. regardless of faith, i wish we could hear more stories like it. one thing i must say is that you don't hear too many stories like it outside of Christianity. one of my best friends from middle school got into drugs heavily and was sent to a juvenile detention center and eventually prison. he's been saved as well and is a very hardcore Christian and virtuous person to this day. the thing i think people here and within hip hop hate is the pushiness involved in Christianity. my friend is very pushy about his religion. i was talking to him and another friend about hip hop (both of them are into underground hip hop and are artists themselves) and they were talking about how God flows through them in their lyrics, which is valiant, but the second i said that i try to reach a broader audience and so i don't bring up religion in my lyrics, they pulled a sly one on me and told me to let them pray for me, like i was some heathen for not rapping about God. i truly felt a bit violated in a sense. like most Christians around the world, these guys were two Christians i'd feel very uncomfortable confiding in that i am an atheist. stories like this, as well as my own experience with telling people my beliefs at which they go ballistic or try to put me in a position where i'm a subordinate (which makes me very uncomfortable) make me very skeptical when speaking about my beliefs sometimes. i know there will also come a day when i will be a bit more outspoken about my atheism and my political views and, hopefully, where i will have a wider audience to speak about them in front of, and when that day comes i will be outcasted from everyone i know back home, but it's a risk i take to get people to hear me and hear what i think is right. you don't do this, Pen, and i appreciate that. i'm just speaking for people that know this from experience, such as the people above who have mentioned it. i'm sure you can understand where we're coming from and i thank you for not being that type of Christian. that's not a real Christian in my eyes.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

eboyd Date: Monday, 18/Jan/10, 10:04 PM | Message # 77

Heads
I've actually never heard of the Roman road. Thanks for sharing. Now, I must say though, if the goal of the Christian missionary settlers that did what they did to the Natives was to convert as many people as possible by any means then, sadly, I must say, their forceful tactics were actually quite effective. They successfully converted a large majority of the Natives to Catholicism and virtually erased thousands of years of ancient tradition and spiritual thinking. Which brings me to my next question: have you studied up on the ancient teachings and spirituality/religion of your Native American ancestors? I have a quite a few Mexican friends (the majority of my friends, including the girlfriend I recently broke up with, are Mexican or some other form of Latin American) and a couple of them are well versed in Mayan and Aztecan traditions including the spiritual teachings of their ancestors and some of the things they have told me are fascinating. I can't speak for the American Indians, but the Natives of Mexico and South America have fascinating spiritual teachings that are more along the lines of philosophy than the folklore, story telling and mythology of the usual religion. Not downing any religions here, but I find the Native American spiritual teachings that I've heard about to be fascinating and I wish to explore it further. Have you delved into it? Where would I start if I wanted to read up?

Oh, btw, we drove by the ancient pueblos in Acoma, New Mexico on the way home from Mississippi last week. For those of you that don't know, Acoma is the oldest consistently occupied community in the US if not the world, dating back to 1150 AD. If you haven't yet, I highly recommend you take a visit. Unfortunately we only got to drive by quickly and see them from a distance, but the do tours as well. Next time we go to NM (for the sopapillas of course :D ) we'll be sure to do the tour.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

eboyd Date: Friday, 22/Jan/10, 2:37 AM | Message # 78

Heads
Quote (Pensmoke)
Oh yes I am familiar with it. As far as where to start that depends on which tribe you would be interested in studying the old beliefs of.

well, as i said, i was interested in the religions of the Natives of Mexico and Central/South America (the Mayans/Aztecans/etc.) when my friend was discussing them with me because they pretty much revolved around philosophy rather than ancient mythology while still using mythological stories to get their points across. i am really fascinated by the moral analogies they made in story form where they tell stories of creatures (some mythical, some not) and put a philosophical or moral twist on the story at the end. i am particularly interested in the tribes that do that and if they all do, whichever you are most familiar with or you find the most fascinating personally would suffice for me :)

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

EmSeeD Date: Friday, 22/Jan/10, 2:53 AM | Message # 79

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
I must say, their forceful tactics were actually quite effective. They successfully converted a large majority of the Natives to Catholicism and virtually erased thousands of years of ancient tradition and spiritual thinking.

and that's not just in america, that's even what happened in NZ to the Maori

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
eboyd Date: Friday, 22/Jan/10, 3:13 AM | Message # 80

Heads
Quote (EmSeeD)

yes, i know. so sad :(

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

eboyd Date: Friday, 22/Jan/10, 4:35 PM | Message # 81

Heads
cool, thanks man. i'll check those out in a bit.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Dookie Date: Sunday, 24/Jan/10, 9:58 PM | Message # 82

Emcees
Quote (EmSeeD)

and Australia with the Aboriginals. Anywhere that had European Colonialism happen, this was the general result.

Intelligence is the understanding of self - Bruce Lee
eboyd Date: Sunday, 24/Jan/10, 11:22 PM | Message # 83

Heads
Quote (Dookie)
and Australia with the Aboriginals. Anywhere that had European Colonialism happen, this was the general result.

i'll add the Scottish clans to this list

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Dookie Date: Monday, 25/Jan/10, 1:02 AM | Message # 84

Emcees
Quote (eboyd)
i'll add the Scottish clans to this list

Yep, Pacific Islanders, South Americans, Africa, Pretty much everywhere, all you have to do for the English Monarchs "terrorism" is find a map that outlines all of the countries under the Commonwealth. This however isnt restricted to just the English though, The Dutch, Spanish, French....Europeans in general.

Intelligence is the understanding of self - Bruce Lee
eboyd Date: Monday, 25/Jan/10, 8:43 AM | Message # 85

Heads
Quote (Dookie)
Yep, Pacific Islanders, South Americans, Africa, Pretty much everywhere, all you have to do for the English Monarchs "terrorism" is find a map that outlines all of the countries under the Commonwealth. This however isnt restricted to just the English though, The Dutch, Spanish, French....Europeans in general.

very true

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Boner-Jamz-11 Date: Sunday, 28/Feb/10, 6:23 PM | Message # 86

Rappers
if person 1 says that they talked to god, why do other people who believe in god think that person 1 is crazy?

#TeamHipster
#SWAGSWAG

TUMBLR CLICK CLICK CLICK!
s0dr2 Date: Tuesday, 02/Mar/10, 3:33 PM | Message # 87

OGs
Quote (EYAR15)
if person 1 says that they talked to god, why do other people who believe in god think that person 1 is crazy?

... Because that's most likely the answer.

Added (02/Mar/10, 3:33 PM)
---------------------------------------------

Quote (eboyd)
i still go to church on occasion.

do you go to mass?

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

eboyd Date: Wednesday, 03/Mar/10, 7:49 AM | Message # 88

Heads
Quote (s0dr2)
do you go to mass?

if by mass you mean what they have in Catholic/Orthodox/etc. churches, no. my mother is protestant/non-denomination so naturally we go to a protestant church. however, my grandfather, when he was alive, was Catholic and so on occasion, yes, i would go to mass, but as an atheist, sitting through a regular old Sunday service is hard enough, especially when the holy water touches my skin and burns me rofl

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

EmSeeD Date: Sunday, 14/Mar/10, 3:05 AM | Message # 89

Heads
i think my beliefs are now closer to christian liberal, however i still call myself a methodist because that is the church i grew up in

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
Joker13 Date: Saturday, 12/Jun/10, 1:58 PM | Message # 90

Emcees
Athiest i think religion is a fucking waste

Forum » Knowledge » Religion » What Is Your Religious Orientation? ((If you had to label yourself, what would you be?))
Search: