[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
Forum moderator: TheWatcher, Menace, I_Guy, Aristotle  
Forum » Knowledge » Religious/Philosophical Debate » What Do You do In Heaven?
What Do You do In Heaven?
s0dr2 Date: Monday, 09/Mar/09, 7:41 PM | Message # 61

OGs
# Matthew 24:36
"No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.

# Mark 13:32
"No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.

iight ill make a new thread, but i got homework so not today.....DANG CHEMISTRY!!!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

ill Date: Monday, 09/Mar/09, 7:51 PM | Message # 62

Emcees
i dunno man it bothers man that its based on leaps on faith, i know it wouldnt be faith with out it but its seems contradictory if there is a perfect god he would assure everyone he and his kingdom of heaven exist

The World Is Yours
s0dr2 Date: Monday, 09/Mar/09, 8:02 PM | Message # 63

OGs
Who said Christianity is based on a leap of faith? It's not, He has revealed Himself to the prophets and reliable witnesses, not to mention the revelation of Jesus Christ as foretold by the prophets. Then you have miracles, not to mention other arguments for His existence:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki...._of_God

But the Bible (*not* one book) is the main proof. The only thing against Christianity is the allowance of suffering, that's it. The bottom line is that you either dismiss the entire line of people throughout several centuries who preached about love, compassion, morality way ahead of its time, etc as complete liars, not delusional, but liars since they claim that there is a God, mention several miracles that were recorded, etc backed up by dates, places, etc......

The only ones who don't believe in God are the ones who aren't humble enough to even consider Him.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Message edited by sodr2 - Monday, 09/Mar/09, 8:03 PM
ill Date: Monday, 09/Mar/09, 8:06 PM | Message # 64

Emcees
but the bible is a book written by man, the details of what should be included were decided by man some 300 years after jesus.

The World Is Yours
NtG Date: Monday, 09/Mar/09, 8:08 PM | Message # 65

Heads
why is this thread so popular?

[deleted]
s0dr2 Date: Monday, 09/Mar/09, 8:19 PM | Message # 66

OGs
Quote (ill)
but the bible is a book written by man, the details of what should be included were decided by man some 300 years after jesus.

Then don't look at it as "the Bible." Look at is as several books that were compiled after Jesus by man because before it was all just the Book of ____, etc.

ill Date: Monday, 09/Mar/09, 8:41 PM | Message # 67

Emcees
word but you can flip stuff intil it fits the way you see it, thats why i dont agree when you interpret the bible because its the ways its written and its the word of god

The World Is Yours
s0dr2 Date: Monday, 09/Mar/09, 8:59 PM | Message # 68

OGs
flip stuff until its the way i see it? o well, as long as you believe it is the word of God

EmSeeD Date: Tuesday, 10/Mar/09, 1:26 AM | Message # 69

Heads
Quote (ill)

i think your thinking of the Council of Nicea or whatever it was called, the books were already written BEFORE that, all they were doing is deciding what books would be in the New Testament.

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
I_Guy Date: Tuesday, 10/Mar/09, 2:10 AM | Message # 70

Heads
The romanticized visions of heaven and hell are quite fascinating. Although the image of both has been skewed over time by man. Poets and artists have depicted their own visions of what each would look like or be like in the form of art. The churches and the monarchies hired many artists as well to depict both heaven and hell to scare or interest the public to fit their own corrupt agenda.

Everyone thinks hell is a burning abyss of fire, when in fact, up until the medieval period it was believed to be an glacial wasteland. If you check out one of the most famous works, Dante’s Inferno, he depicts the very last level of hell to be the domain of Satan where it is a lake of ice. The worst sinners lay there, half submerged in ice positioned in various ways in the ice. Satan himself sits with his legs stuck in the ice and his wings flap to create the ice cold wind that freezes hell, while he tears the worst sinners from the ice and shreds them in his teeth. It’s a very vivid description if you read it. I love it. You see, it was thought to be frozen because distance away from God equals distance away from warmth, therefore cold.

Then later you have the Renaissance and the Baroque period where many religious works (both of doubt and of certainty) came out. This was the era of skeptics, also when the churches were most powerful. But it was here when the image of heaven and hell began to change into our modern understanding of it. Another well known work was written, Paradise Lost, by the poet John Milton. He decided to write a late epic poem about God and his battle against Satan. In the first few books he almost makes Satan appear as a hero. But overall it was an attempt to justify the ways of God to man. He describes Satan’s resistance against God and his ultimate fall. But he explains it as follows:

Satan was an early angel created by God. Satan viewed God as tyrannical (Milton creates the whole epic as an allegory of England politics during the 17th century in which a minority government of revolutionary puritans (= Satan, resistance, & revolution) attempted to overthrow the English monarchy, specifically King Charles I (= God and all that is supposedly good). Satan grew both envious of God and disgusted by God’s ways. Satan believed that he was as powerful as God (due to hubris) despite the fact that God created him, because Satan viewed himself as a separate sovereign being that God did not father correctly. Satan felt he raised himself and did so to become more powerful than God. When he revolts, he and the demons battle God and the angels, and Satan loses miserably. He is casted down into hell (created by God as Satan’s domain) where Satan and his fallen angels (demons) must spend eternity. They all lay chained to a dark lake of fire. Satan is the first to rise, then Beelzebub, and many other devils of all religions and myths in order of power. Satan uses the excuse that God had never displayed his full capacity of power, and that is why Satan’s efforts failed, because he underestimated God. Satan claims that if he knew how powerful God truly was, he would have never tried to revolt. But nevertheless, he does not look back (because there is no going back) and he creates evil and determines it will combat all holy. Satan motivates his troops and rationalizes with them about attempting to battle God again (Armageddon). Satan and his demons build Pandemonium (Latin for “all the devils“) out of gold and it becomes the capital of Hell. There they debate on what should be done to defeat God. Many suggest they harshly and violently invade heaven. But they conclude that they were already defeated employing those tactics. They eventually conclude the ultimate plan. Satan had heard of God’s last invention called “man” that is supposed to be his greatest invention. Satan concludes what better way to defeat God than by his own best creation. Satan invents sin and understands sin as being good, because it is good for hell, and anything good for hell can not be wrong. So Satan sees himself as justified. And it is soon after where Satan initiates his plan by reaching Adam and Eve. But see what Satan fails to realize the whole time is that, God let Satan do these things (after all he created Hell and the resources in it) as it is a part of his overall plan to make the world a perfect place (justifying the ways of God to man). Eventually Satan envisions infecting the world with sin and unleashing the Antichrist (the devil himself re-embodied as a man just as Christ was to God).

The shit is fucking fascinating. You guys should look it up if you haven’t. Milton interprets the bible when constructing the epic, but he also adds his own logics to the account. I can see why people are so swept away by the bible, because much of the common thought about the bible is influenced by poets and philosophers, who romanticized this shit until it is on some epic awesomeness. But hell, it’s just literature to me.

We all know that each of our end is near; the question is do we accept the end of our living existence, or do we accept our existence as dead men...

Message edited by I_Guy - Tuesday, 10/Mar/09, 2:23 AM
EmSeeD Date: Tuesday, 10/Mar/09, 2:21 AM | Message # 71

Heads
Quote (I_Guy)
But see what Satan fails to realize the whole time is that, God let Satan do these things (after all he created Hell and the resources in it)

this definitely fits in with the bible. even the tempting of Job, satan had to get God's permission to do it.

but anyway it sounds like a good story but really we don't really know for sure whats on the other side.

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
ill Date: Tuesday, 10/Mar/09, 8:59 AM | Message # 72

Emcees
Quote (EmSeeD)
i think your thinking of the Council of Nicea or whatever it was called, the books were already written BEFORE that, all they were doing is deciding what books would be in the New Testament

word but they left out gospels by mary magdelene ect, and some which claimed they were married - so the bible shouldve been very different

The World Is Yours
11thPlague Date: Tuesday, 10/Mar/09, 9:20 AM | Message # 73

Removed
I think the fact is that there is no REASON behing God, the bible, heaven, hell, or religion. Its called faith. either you have it or you dont. You cant explain it. Faith means having a firm belief in something for which there is no proof. So alot of these answers to the questions your asking wont be satisfactory because, i think, your looking for REASON behind Faith and there isn't.
Menace Date: Tuesday, 10/Mar/09, 11:08 AM | Message # 74

Heads
ohh snap i missed this huge debate biggrin tough if you don't create a piece of heaven here on earth when you are live then i don't know how much or not you will feel in the after life

Acekat00o Date: Tuesday, 10/Mar/09, 4:00 PM | Message # 75

Heads
Heaven will differ for every person ,if heaven for me means a summer day with friends just chillin then thats a day in heaven

Graffiti
Forum » Knowledge » Religious/Philosophical Debate » What Do You do In Heaven?
Search: