[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
Forum moderator: I_Guy, s0dr2, El_Matador  
Forum » Knowledge » Philosophy/Science » Is homosexuality natural?
Is homosexuality natural?
ilikebacon3000 Date: Friday, 27/Nov/09, 5:45 PM | Message # 1

Emcees
I have a gay cousin, and he is one of the straightest acting men I know. He is a black belt, he does fencing, he speaks french, spanish, and arabic fluently, and he drinks alcahol like a stud. (Not wine coolers lol. I've seen him drink straight Vodka, and finish about half a bottle in a day. He drinks alot of beer too.)
So anyways, before we decide on whether it is natural, what is homosexual and what is natural?
To me, homosexuality is when an organism is sexually attracted to another organism of the same species and same sex.
Natural is whatever occurs in nature. For example: If a man builds a house, and all the materials were gathered from the Earth (which is natural in itself), then the house must be natural since all of it's material is natural. Humans are natural, since they are made up of trillions of atoms, which occur naturally, or without someone/something putting them there.
Since humans are natural, and the things around us are natural, and since everything we interact with is natural as well, that means that all human activity is natural.
Therefore, homosexuality is natural.

Life's a bitch and I'm just along for the ride.
I_Guy Date: Friday, 27/Nov/09, 6:01 PM | Message # 2

Heads
Yes homosexuality is "natural." I actually find natural to be a useful term, but also a very transparent one, because the term really doesn't make sense ultimately.

We all know that each of our end is near; the question is do we accept the end of our living existence, or do we accept our existence as dead men...
Menace Date: Friday, 27/Nov/09, 6:02 PM | Message # 3

Heads
what is natural is already debated in another thread so lets reformulate the question is homosexuality a human natural phenomenon ?? yes it is in fact its part of nature there is homosexual behavior in the animal kingdom too http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexual_behavior_in_animals . Homosexuality is genetically predetermined. Those that say that homosexuality is not natural and is an illness have no proof to back their claims i want scientific proof to show it and i will change .

eboyd Date: Friday, 27/Nov/09, 6:13 PM | Message # 4

Heads
there are several different definitions of natural, of which, in this context, the definition you are trying to use is not the correct one:

na⋅ture
  /ˈneɪtʃər/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [ney-cher] Show IPA
Use nature in a Sentence
See web results for nature
See images of nature
–noun
1. the material world, esp. as surrounding humankind and existing independently of human activities.
2. the natural world as it exists without human beings or civilization.
3. the elements of the natural world, as mountains, trees, animals, or rivers.
4. natural scenery.
5. the universe, with all its phenomena.
6. the sum total of the forces at work throughout the universe.

7. reality, as distinguished from any effect of art: a portrait true to nature.
8. the particular combination of qualities belonging to a person, animal, thing, or class by birth, origin, or constitution; native or inherent character: human nature.
9. the instincts or inherent tendencies directing conduct: a man of good nature.
10. character, kind, or sort: two books of the same nature.
11. characteristic disposition; temperament: a self-willed nature; an evil nature.
12. the original, natural, uncivilized condition of humankind.
13. the biological functions or the urges to satisfy their requirements.
14. a primitive, wild condition; an uncultivated state.
15. a simple, uncluttered mode of life without the conveniences or distractions of civilization: a return to nature.
16. (initial capital letter, italics) a prose work (1836), by Ralph Waldo Emerson, expounding transcendentalism.
17. Theology. the moral state as unaffected by grace.
—Idioms
18. by nature, as a result of inborn or inherent qualities; innately: She is by nature a kindhearted person.
19. in a state of nature,
a. in an uncivilized or uncultured condition.
b. without clothes; nude; naked.
20. of or in the nature of, having the character or qualities of: in the nature of an apology.

the red highlighted definitions are the ones you are incorrectly attributing to your definition. the bolded is the correct definition.

as for homosexuality, you have to determine whether or not that term is actually defining something real or not first. we don't even have a clear definition of what gender is, let alone what it means to be attracted to the same gender. watch the video at this link and all of it's following videos. there are ten parts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWGRi99cVHo

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Menace Date: Friday, 27/Nov/09, 6:22 PM | Message # 5

Heads
evolutionary biology can explain genders whit out any huge debate genders are adaptations . Adaptation is the one of the basic phenomenas of evolutionary biology.

eboyd Date: Friday, 27/Nov/09, 8:23 PM | Message # 6

Heads
Quote (Menace)
evolutionary biology can explain genders whit out any huge debate genders are adaptations . Adaptation is the one of the basic phenomenas of evolutionary biology.

if you watched that video you wouldn't be saying that. it goes deeper than that. look up the gender spectrum.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

ilikebacon3000 Date: Friday, 27/Nov/09, 8:28 PM | Message # 7

Emcees
Quote (Menace)
what is natural is already debated in another threa

yeah but this is a whole seperate debate. "Is homosexuality natural?" before you can even say "Yes, it is natural" or "No it is un-natural" you must first define natural

Life's a bitch and I'm just along for the ride.
eboyd Date: Saturday, 28/Nov/09, 1:05 AM | Message # 8

Heads
Quote (ilikebacon3000)
yeah but this is a whole seperate debate. "Is homosexuality natural?" before you can even say "Yes, it is natural" or "No it is un-natural" you must first define natural

...and you also must define homosexuality and gender and find if homosexuality even can exist. watch the damn video lol.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

eboyd Date: Saturday, 28/Nov/09, 2:15 AM | Message # 9

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWGRi99cVHo

also, here is a synopsis of the physical aspect of gender ambiguity. there are also, as the video explains, cultural and psychological aspects (the latter can, in essence, be tied into physical, though it is not outwardly visible) of sexual ambiguity that can blur our lines of gender and make it hard for us to determine whether homosexuality is even possible. the crux of this argument, however, lies in the stages between conception and birth, as the fetus is going through sexual development within the mother. children begin as asexual beings. every one of us does. they have develop extra skin in their frontal pubic region that can develop into either a penis or a clitoris, or possibly even neither (which is quite rare) and can vary is size, a large opening with extra skin that is very sensitive and either forms into the labia or the scrotum sack, etc. we are all, in essence, exactly the same. gender itself is a myth. however, chromosomes determine our genital structure and our behavior which will also lie on the gender spectrum (ranging from femininity to masculinity with infinite variations in between, of course concluding with Chuck Norris the furthest in the direction of "masculinity" of any man rofl ).

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/gender/spectrum.html

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

J-Breakz Date: Saturday, 28/Nov/09, 2:58 AM | Message # 10

Heads
Why are we debating if homosexuality is natural? It's just a chemical imbalance isn't it? It's found in the animal kingdom and i read that it homosexual acts was actually a factor that contributed in the extinction of mammoths. And you can say that everything is natural, what exactlyt can't be natural?

livin life like some cheesy movie

Message edited by J-Breakz - Saturday, 28/Nov/09, 2:59 AM
I_Guy Date: Saturday, 28/Nov/09, 3:47 AM | Message # 11

Heads
Quote (J-Breakz)
And you can say that everything is natural, what exactly can't be natural?

Impossible to answer accurately.

We all know that each of our end is near; the question is do we accept the end of our living existence, or do we accept our existence as dead men...
eboyd Date: Saturday, 28/Nov/09, 3:55 AM | Message # 12

Heads
Quote (J-Breakz)
It's just a chemical imbalance isn't it?

i think "chemical imbalance" is a bit of a presumptuous term though. chemicals can only be imbalanced in comparison to what we see as balanced. what if, by natural selection, it had been decided that our species would be "homosexual" by nature? would heterosexuality not then be caused by an imbalance? homosexuality (which i do not think is a proper term in and of itself. watch the above video i linked and the info i posted for more on that), then, can be defined as a specific organization of chemicals that predisposes the individual to being attracted to forms of their species with genitalia similarly -- almost exactly -- constructed to theirs. by this definition we can, in a sense, define loosely what homosexuality, and therefore, by even looser standards, what heterosexuality is and we can also conclude that it is natural.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

J-Breakz Date: Saturday, 28/Nov/09, 4:05 AM | Message # 13

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
i think "chemical imbalance" is a bit of a presumptuous term though. chemicals can only be imbalanced in comparison to what we see as balanced. what if, by natural selection, it had been decided that our species would be "homosexual" by nature? would heterosexuality not then be caused by an imbalance? homosexuality (which i do not think is a proper term in and of itself. watch the above video i linked and the info i posted for more on that), then, can be defined as a specific organization of chemicals that predisposes the individual to being attracted to forms of their species with genitalia similarly -- almost exactly -- constructed to theirs. by this definition we can, in a sense, define loosely what homosexuality, and therefore, by even looser standards, what heterosexuality is and we can also conclude that it is natural.

I guess you're right, I don't know, I'm too lazy to watch the video. What I should of said is a gay person has brain chemistry that is different than a person who chooses to be intimate with the opposite sex. I think Bacon was tryn to start up the whole "whether homosexuality is a chose or not" debate? that has been brought up by many religious fanatics. Which science i believe has proven that it is not a choice?

Quote (I_Guy)
Impossible to answer accurately.
I don't think you can answer what isn't natural because everything in the universe is natural. It's impossible to create something that isn't natural because you use resources that are given to you naturally. And if it is possible than it would proabably violate the whole energy cannot be created law... am i correct on this?

livin life like some cheesy movie

Message edited by J-Breakz - Saturday, 28/Nov/09, 4:05 AM
eboyd Date: Saturday, 28/Nov/09, 4:24 AM | Message # 14

Heads
Quote (J-Breakz)
I guess you're right, I don't know, I'm too lazy to watch the video. What I should of said is a gay person has brain chemistry that is different than a person who chooses to be intimate with the opposite sex. I think Bacon was tryn to start up the whole "whether homosexuality is a chose or not" debate? that has been brought up by many religious fanatics. Which science i believe has proven that it is not a choice?

yes, but until sodr comes to this thread to present his opinion on the subject there is no need to harp on that because we are all in agreement on that, as is bacon. for that reason i found it appropriate to take the discussion further. besides, bacon's initial post alone takes it further.

Quote (J-Breakz)
I don't think you can answer what isn't natural because everything in the universe is natural. It's impossible to create something that isn't natural because you use resources that are given to you naturally. And if it is possible than it would proabably violate the whole energy cannot be created law... am i correct on this?

we had this exact discussion a few weeks ago and this was my exact argument. I_Guy took more of a "spectrum of what is natural" approach, Menace took a "natural is what exists before human intervention" approach with chinita and others agreeing with him, and bacon took more of a "it depends on how you decide to define it" which technically would have been the correct way to look at it, but how he put it made it seem as if you can define a word however you want, which i find to be absurd. it all came down to us coming to different conclusions of the meaning of "natural" because we were all referring to different, equally valid definitions of the same word. my argument was that, in the way it was being used in the initial comment and considering the recent multitude of knowledge/political threads on the subjects of cosmology and philosophy, that this definition of the word "natural" was the relevant one in that particular thread. in this thread, however, my above post has bolded the correct definition of the word in the context it is being used.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Adam Date: Saturday, 28/Nov/09, 10:00 AM | Message # 15

B-Girls
OMG erik your message count!!! %)

%) %)

I JUST EXPLODED INTO RAINBOWS AND LOLLIPOPS!
Forum » Knowledge » Philosophy/Science » Is homosexuality natural?
Search: