[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
Forum moderator: I_Guy, s0dr2, El_Matador  
Forum » Knowledge » Philosophy/Science » Are We Only Selfish?
Are We Only Selfish?
I_Guy Date: Friday, 04/Dec/09, 11:15 PM | Message # 16

Heads
Quote (J-Breakz)
But the people helping them would have to feel pleasure

Why would they HAVE to feel pleasure? That's quite an assumption, what makes it valid?

We all know that each of our end is near; the question is do we accept the end of our living existence, or do we accept our existence as dead men...
J-Breakz Date: Friday, 04/Dec/09, 11:20 PM | Message # 17

Heads
Quote (I_Guy)
Why would they HAVE to feel pleasure? That's quite an assumption, what makes it valid?

It's highly illogical they're doing it out of apathy to go thru all the trouble. The pleasure gives them motivation to help them. Not to say that means we shouldn't look up the ppl that helped the jewish people if they were to do it out of pleasure. But them not doing it out of pleasure is highly unlikely.

livin life like some cheesy movie
I_Guy Date: Friday, 04/Dec/09, 11:30 PM | Message # 18

Heads
I'm not sa
Quote (J-Breakz)
It's highly illogical they're doing it out of apathy to go thru all the trouble. The pleasure gives them motivation to help them. Not to say that means we shouldn't look up the ppl that helped the jewish people if they were to do it out of pleasure. But them not doing it out of pleasure is highly unlikely.

I'm not saying they did it out of apathy and the book doesn't argue that either. That's a whole different thing. The book is arguing the possibility of selfless acts and like I said, though I'm skeptical, they may have found something that we need to further explore.

It's not "illogical," it's just hard to imagine, but that still doesn't mean that they felt pleasure just because it's hard to imagine that they didn't. That would actually be a logical fallacy on your part.

We all know that each of our end is near; the question is do we accept the end of our living existence, or do we accept our existence as dead men...
J-Breakz Date: Friday, 04/Dec/09, 11:34 PM | Message # 19

Heads
Quote (I_Guy)
The book is arguing the possibility of selfless acts and like I said, though I'm skeptical, they may have found something that we need to further explore.

Hmm, well alright, I'm quite skeptical, too. I've never met a person who didn't enjoy giving but gave anyways. You're suppose to find charity rewarding at least from what I have always been taught.

What exactly are their explanations for the possibility of selfless acts?

Message edited by J-Breakz - Friday, 04/Dec/09, 11:35 PM
I_Guy Date: Friday, 04/Dec/09, 11:35 PM | Message # 20

Heads
Quote (J-Breakz)
Hmm, well alright, I'm quite skeptical, too. I've never met a person who didn't enjoy giving but gave anyways. You're suppose to find charity rewarding at least from what I have always been taught.

What exactly are their explanations for the possibility of selfless acts?

Something selfless may come out of us when life is directly at stake.

EmSeeD Date: Friday, 04/Dec/09, 11:39 PM | Message # 21

Heads
i think to be selfish, as in greedy or to screw up other peoples lives to suit your own, i think that kind of selfishness is wrong

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
J-Breakz Date: Friday, 04/Dec/09, 11:44 PM | Message # 22

Heads
Quote (I_Guy)

Something selfless may come out of us when life is directly at stake.

But that's out of the desire of wanting that life to continue living. You'll get pleasure from the fact that you helped.

Message edited by J-Breakz - Friday, 04/Dec/09, 11:46 PM
I_Guy Date: Friday, 04/Dec/09, 11:47 PM | Message # 23

Heads
Quote (J-Breakz)
But that's out of the desire of wanting that life to continue living. You'll get pleasure from the fact that you made a difference.

At the risk of their own life?

Not all people respond in the same way, some may have no pleasure at all believing that it was their duty. (but I'll admit that's questionable but worthy of consideration)

J-Breakz Date: Friday, 04/Dec/09, 11:47 PM | Message # 24

Heads
Quote (I_Guy)
At the risk of their own life?

Yeah, I don't think that changes anything. People do drugs at the risk of their own life. They skydive at the risk of their own life.

I_Guy Date: Friday, 04/Dec/09, 11:48 PM | Message # 25

Heads
Quote (J-Breakz)
People do drugs at the risk of their own life. They skydive at the risk of their own life.

That has nothing to do with the welfare of others or selfless acts.

J-Breakz Date: Friday, 04/Dec/09, 11:52 PM | Message # 26

Heads
Quote (I_Guy)
Not all people respond in the same way, some may have no pleasure at all believing that it was their duty. (but I'll admit that's questionable but worthy of consideration)

If it's their duty than they must feel some accomplishment. Or do what they can to fulfill their duty so they don't feel failure.

Added (04/Dec/09, 11:52 Pm)
---------------------------------------------

Quote (I_Guy)
That has nothing to do with the welfare of others or selfless acts.

No but people get pleasure from it even though they could easily die. People can get pleasure from helping others even if they can die from it. I don't even know why we're arguing so much about it. Ask any philanthropist and they'll tell you they feel good whenever they donate to a charity.

I_Guy Date: Friday, 04/Dec/09, 11:54 PM | Message # 27

Heads
Quote (J-Breakz)
No but people get pleasure from it even though they could easily die. People can get pleasure from helping others even if they can die from it. I don't even know why we're arguing so much about it. Ask any philanthropist and they'll tell you they feel good whenever they donate to a charity.

But what often gets confused is whether the motive was for pleasure or if pleasure was simply the result. If the motive is pleasure then the person is selfish, but if the pleasure arrives after the fact then it is not a selfish act.

J-Breakz Date: Friday, 04/Dec/09, 11:56 PM | Message # 28

Heads
Quote (I_Guy)
But what often gets confused is whether the motive was for pleasure or if pleasure was simply the result. If the motive is pleasure then the person is selfish, but if the pleasure arrives after the fact then it is not a selfish act.

I think the motive is always pleasure, not everybody realizes it, though.

Message edited by J-Breakz - Friday, 04/Dec/09, 11:56 PM
I_Guy Date: Friday, 04/Dec/09, 11:57 PM | Message # 29

Heads
Quote (J-Breakz)
I think the motive is always pleasure, not everybody realizes it, though.

How can you validate that claim?

(By the way I'm not referring to the drug addicts or whatever you mentioned above when talking about the motives. I'm still talking about Jew rescuers. *Just in case you didn't know.*)

J-Breakz Date: Saturday, 05/Dec/09, 0:05 AM | Message # 30

Heads
Quote (I_Guy)
How can you validate that claim?

Are we talking about a philanthropist? There must be some satisfaction the philanthropist gets from helping others. Maybe it's because he/she will then have something to say when people call them a selfish prick or maybe its because the person feels they helped make the world a better place. Either way it gives the person pleasure and motivation to continue doing it.

When someone works hard and reaches a goal there are hormones released into the body that makes you feel a sense of accomplishment, it's motivation to continue setting goals and reaching them. Those hormones are released in the body when you reached your goal of helping a person in need.

Forum » Knowledge » Philosophy/Science » Are We Only Selfish?
Search: