Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
Forum moderator: TheWatcher, Menace, I_Guy, Aristotle  
Forum » Knowledge » Religious/Philosophical Debate » The Book of Job
The Book of Job
Render215 Date: Monday, 24/Aug/09, 2:39 PM | Message # 16

Emcees
I believe it was the Holy Ghost in the form of tongues of fire... tongues is the word describing the shape of the flame... not like cow tongues or something.. lol

"People said his brain was infected by Devils..."
s0dr2 Date: Monday, 24/Aug/09, 2:58 PM | Message # 17

OGs
Quote (ilikebacon3000)
Today I told my mom I was agonostic, and she started crying and calling herself a failure parent. I was laughing my ass off.
I told her how if you really look at the bible,
-Flying tounges on fire
-Witches
-Wizards
-Magic zombie guy on cross
-People from dirt
and other obvious stupid things from the bible, she was like "well, fine...". I won.
I still found it funny that she was so upset, yet she almost never goes to church herself. Last time she went was Easter 2006... Haha.
I still consider her religous, however.

*inhale*...

*exhale*

ok

if God exists, then whats the problem with AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANYTHING in the Bible that sounds ridiculous?? He's GOD AFTERALL!!!!!!!!! jeez

you cant refuse to believe in something because it "sounds" ridiculous, its only your opinion anyways doesnt make it the truth...im not offended i just cant see how you can think like that

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Menace Date: Monday, 24/Aug/09, 2:59 PM | Message # 18

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
One could argue that those who are faithful are too ignorant and lazy to actually read their history and study facts. Don't insult someone's beliefs if you don't want yours insulted as well.

Erik the terminator :D

Quote (MAK_The_Lucid_Tongue)
To inspire the rest of us that are too ignorant and lazy to be as faithful. George Bush would've asked the same question

the story is not about that if you read the original story form the Jewish bible they turned the story into a Christian version where submission is the only answer there is no actual point to this story if you read it

Menace Date: Monday, 24/Aug/09, 3:04 PM | Message # 19

Heads
Quote (sodr2)
if God exists, then whats the problem with AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANYTHING in the Bible that sounds ridiculous?? He's GOD AFTERALL!!!!!!!!! jeez

it's called the rational mind the human brain that sets us apart from animals that's why !!

Quote (sodr2)
you cant refuse to believe in something because it "sounds" ridiculous, its only your opinion anyways doesnt make it the truth...im not offended i just cant see how you can think like that

something that has nothing to do whit natural phenomena has no empirical evidence it does not matter everything can be equated outside of the natural order and set as truth EVERYTHING

s0dr2 Date: Monday, 24/Aug/09, 3:08 PM | Message # 20

OGs
k im fine with the no empirical evidence argument, but thats not what bacon was saying

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Menace Date: Monday, 24/Aug/09, 3:40 PM | Message # 21

Heads
Quote (sodr2)
k im fine with the no empirical evidence argument, but thats not what bacon was saying

he was saying the same thing in a simple manner he relies on common sense and rationalism so he can't believe in stuff that have no appealing to reason as a source of knowledge or justification

I_Guy Date: Monday, 24/Aug/09, 7:12 PM | Message # 22

Heads
Quote (EmSeeD)
what exactly about it makes you laugh

Well I was discussing evil with a Christian the other day and it was over the whole problem of evil concept. He tried to use this story as support for his argument.

Quote (Menace)
why laugh ?? it's just primitive man trying to understand the problem of evil i don't find it laughable i don't find laughable the bible or the Torah and the people that wrote them because i don't blame then in believing what they believed if i was living back then i think i was one of them too my problem is whit the modern people who still believe in such bronze age myths rational people that can grasp reality fall in such irrational dungeons that's what my problem is and i laugh at those modern people not at those hut dwelling ancient men

I guess I should clarify. I do find the story amusing, however I laugh at modern people who think the story is logically sound. We laugh at the same people. But the story is sooooo easily defeated logically that I can't fathom how people still think that shit is concrete.

We all know that each of our end is near; the question is do we accept the end of our living existence, or do we accept our existence as dead men...
Menace Date: Monday, 24/Aug/09, 7:24 PM | Message # 23

Heads
Quote (TheWatcher)
I'm not the only one who's constantly annoyed by the vast majority of his posts.. As for the religion comment, I've been ignoring those for a good while now but come on man.. He was laughing his ass off because his words actually hurt his mother? Then he logs onto this website to brag about it to his atheist friends (no insult intended to ya'll). I don't even care about his usual 'lame hoping-to-make-just-a-little-sense' posts but smh.. Anyway I'll leave it be.

it's not our business what he does to his mother or whatever he does whit his life even tough i personally attacked him because of his random posts i find it this time to be uncalled for from your behalf and i mean i wouldn't be jumping on you if you didn't insult him that's my thing and what the hell is duke ?? i saw Pensmoke use it too what is that ?LOL :D

Quote (I_Guy)
I guess I should clarify. I do find the story amusing, however I laugh at modern people who think the story is logically sound. We laugh at the same people. But the story is sooooo easily defeated logically that I can't fathom how people still think that shit is concrete.

Oh OK :D

ilikebacon3000 Date: Monday, 24/Aug/09, 7:58 PM | Message # 24

Emcees
Quote (sodr2)

no i think its dumb that the bible flat out doesent make sense.
The biggest part is the whole "Magic guy somehow comes down to earth and saves us all by dying on a cross" thing.
I know how the jews had their laws before jesus, and how sacrifice was needed according to their laws, but how is a guy dying for us relevant?
I mean it makes no sense whatsoever. I don't get it. At all. There is no relevance between me having pre-martial sex, or cussing, or anything else considered "Immoral" and some guy claiming to be god and dying on a cross.
Another thing, is that some christans say "you cant refuse to believe in something because it "sounds" ridiculous, its only your opinion anyways doesnt make it the truth.." however, they refuse to investigate things like satanism just because it sounds ridiculous. Therefore in a way, you are in fact contridicting yourself, right?

Bottom line, I don't see the relation.
Stiches:Cut
Jesus:Natural human error? WTF?

Life's a bitch and I'm just along for the ride.
Menace Date: Monday, 24/Aug/09, 9:35 PM | Message # 25

Heads
Quote (ilikebacon3000)
Jesus:Natural human error? WTF?

i personally wouldn't say it like that the best thing that fits to Jesus is historical distortion and i am personally amazed how people won't believe in some morals teachings of Jesus if he wasn't divine this shows us that people don't believe in Jesus because he was a moral philosopher they believe in him because he can save them and all that crap humans are very self centered if they don't get something out of it they don't give a shit about it like in Buddhism getting Nirvana is hard work too much work oh wait in Christianity getting eternity is just accepting this dude Jesus YAAY !! LOl :D ( BIG IRONY )

oh and Taylor what made you change so drastically your beliefs ?? Commies ?? Satan ?? The Liberal Media ?? LMAO :D nah but on the real what made u change so much ?? because some short time ago you was talking about being revived at that bible camp :D

ilikebacon3000 Date: Monday, 24/Aug/09, 9:47 PM | Message # 26

Emcees
Quote (Menace)
oh and Taylor what made you change so drastically your beliefs ?? Commies ?? Satan ?? The Liberal Media ?? LMAO nah but on the real what made u change so much

It was those damn harry potter movies.... Satan is on the prowl again for our youth!
Nah lol about a week later I just realized all over again that it is bullshit, and also after watching these vids. They seem stupid but they make really good points, along with all the rest of these guys videos. He himself was a former christan. He really made me realize that it is simply..... Bullshit.

If god is going to send me to eternal hell, meaning not sepreration from god, like fire and brimstone, all because I tried to reason, let him. If that is the case, he is a fucking selfish, illogical son of a bitch. It makes no sense to even create his people knowing they will go to hell. And we clearly don't have freewill if he is forcing us to worship his so called son.
On top of that, I don't see him simply throwing he/she's one and only fantastic, intelligent creation into eternal fire for simply using what he gave them.
Another thing, is I think god would find a better punishment than just fire. After all, he is god! He would make something so much worse than fire.

Also, Venomfangx made me realize how stupid some christans can be.... He is a young-earth, fundamentalist, close minded, prick head..... If you don't know who he is....Well, welcome to the bible belt people. Go watch him.

Render215 Date: Tuesday, 25/Aug/09, 3:25 AM | Message # 27

Emcees
Bacon.. 2 me u seem VERY easily influenced by what others choose to believe. Most people are full of shit... Listen to what's in your heart and stand up for what YOU believe. You have plenty of time to mature and follow whatever path you desire. ;)

"People said his brain was infected by Devils..."
EmSeeD Date: Tuesday, 25/Aug/09, 3:35 AM | Message # 28

Heads
how about the book of unemployed?

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
ilikebacon3000 Date: Tuesday, 25/Aug/09, 7:54 AM | Message # 29

Emcees
It is true, everyone is influenced to an extent, and when I'm around a bunch of Christans for example, it is alot easier to buy into their bullshit.
But in my heart I honestly feel like there could be a god or higher force, but he/she/it has simply little interaction with actual events on earth (Things like praying do no good outside of peoples minds. It can cause peace of mind, but hoping for some magical force to cure you of AIDS is not going to do jackshit.)

And I'm starting to get into Richard Dawkin's and I must say he is pretty damn smart.
Just watching his lectures on Youtube is really interesting. I have only been able to read about 2 chapters of the God Delusion, however! I cant find a copy of it!

Menace Date: Tuesday, 25/Aug/09, 11:13 AM | Message # 30

Heads
Quote (ilikebacon3000)
Just watching his lectures on Youtube is really interesting. I have only been able to read about 2 chapters of the God Delusion, however! I cant find a copy of it!

LOL i just bought me a copy a few days ago tough i have it on PDF format i still bought it because i like Richard Dawkins plus it's all over Amazon and all over i don't how you can't find it and if you still don't find it if you want i will send you the PDF

Quote (ilikebacon3000)
Also, Venomfangx made me realize how stupid some christans can be.... He is a young-earth, fundamentalist, close minded, prick head..... If you don't know who he is....Well, welcome to the bible belt people. Go watch him.

that dude is just simply delusional any person that thinks knows he's fucked you don't need to look into the history of the earth to know that the earth is older then 6000 years just look at human history Ancient Sumeria for example LOL he makes no sense

Quote (ilikebacon3000)
It was those damn harry potter movies.... Satan is on the prowl again for our youth!
Nah lol about a week later I just realized all over again that it is bullshit, and also after watching these vids. They seem stupid but they make really good points, along with all the rest of these guys videos. He himself was a former christan. He really made me realize that it is simply..... Bullshit.

Quote (ilikebacon3000)

pretty funny videos but i think what made you change so much is the fundamentalist environment that is in your country i bet 100 bucks if you lived in a moderate environment this wouldn't happen i have friends that reconcile science whit religion that understand science and understand that the bible is an old book and as an old book not everything there makes sense

Quote (EmSeeD)
how about the book of unemployed?

i don't know :D to be real the first time i was scrolling trough the content of the Torah when i saw this title i thought oh at last a useful story for us how to get and keep jobs LOL for real that's what i thought

Forum » Knowledge » Religious/Philosophical Debate » The Book of Job
Search: