[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
Forum moderator: TheWatcher, Menace, I_Guy, Aristotle  
Forum » Knowledge » Religious/Philosophical Debate » Evidence For God?
Evidence For God?
ritesofpasage Date: Saturday, 06/Feb/10, 7:10 PM | Message # 241

DJs
How can a living thing not have knowledge of god?

Any living thing without knowledge of god must be divorced from it's nature.

God is life.

Belief and faith are a part of life. We are primed as children to have belief and faith in our caregivers. It is a part of our dna/ordering structures/design.

How do you not see the design?

Belief and faith is natural. How did you lose that which is natural?

Check out my melody faithfulness is the fidelity of my soundtrack to that of the heavenlies.....
I_Guy Date: Saturday, 06/Feb/10, 7:45 PM | Message # 242

Heads
Quote (ritesofpasage)
Belief and faith are a part of life. We are primed as children to have belief and faith in our caregivers.

True, but we have the ability to overcome faith by investigating everything.

Quote (ritesofpasage)

The same way I see that the earth is not flat, even though it seems like it is. Or that the moon isn't made of cheese, even though it looks like it is. Science revealed the earth is a sphere. Science reveals that there is no design.

Quote (ritesofpasage)

Losing faith is natural as well. The physiology of our brains has allowed us to expand into rational understanding, leaving faith behind. Faith is the enemy of rational understanding. Faith is the default setting of the human mind. Look how much faith a child has who fears a monsters, or waits for Santa Claus. Adults are simply arrogant forms of children. Adults think they have outgrown their irrational predisposition. They haven't, unless they deny faith.

We all know that each of our end is near; the question is do we accept the end of our living existence, or do we accept our existence as dead men...
Menace Date: Saturday, 06/Feb/10, 8:04 PM | Message # 243

Heads
Quote (ritesofpasage)
Any living thing without knowledge of god must be divorced from it's nature.

The animal kingdom has no knowledge of god and don't need one neither . We evolved to a stage to question everything that's why we created God and now we question that God too because we evolve . The God process is just part of evolution is not instilled in our brains .

ALCATRAZ Date: Sunday, 07/Feb/10, 0:56 AM | Message # 244

Writers
Quote (Menace)
That's just your brain acting up on drugs

I'm afraid you don't understand how psychedelics work. They don't necessarily "do" anything to your brain, they simply allow your brain to process in a completely different manner.

Quote (Menace)
Shamans used drugs to "communicate " whit Gods but of course they didn't understand that those substances are HALLUCINOGENIC

You sound like someone who has never tried hallucinogens, and that's an unfortunate thing.

"I personally think OBCL2 is better than the original" - Lord Meth

Message edited by ALCATRAZ - Sunday, 07/Feb/10, 0:57 AM
I_Guy Date: Sunday, 07/Feb/10, 1:19 AM | Message # 245

Heads
Quote (ALCATRAZ)
I'm afraid you don't understand how psychedelics work. They don't necessarily "do" anything to your brain, they simply allow your brain to process in a completely different manner.

"Processing in a completely different manner" requires something to be "done" to the brain.

If your brain is "processing in a completely different manner" then physical processes are going on in the brain. So there is a lot of "doing" to the brain.

We all know that each of our end is near; the question is do we accept the end of our living existence, or do we accept our existence as dead men...
ALCATRAZ Date: Sunday, 07/Feb/10, 2:25 AM | Message # 246

Writers
If you don't know shit about how drugs work, especially psychedelics such as psyilocybin and dimethyltriptamine, then please, just stop. You're gonna dig yourself a hole, then I'm gonna embarrass you, then you're gonna get emotional. So let's just stop here.

"I personally think OBCL2 is better than the original" - Lord Meth

I_Guy Date: Sunday, 07/Feb/10, 2:42 AM | Message # 247

Heads
Quote (ALCATRAZ)
If you don't know shit about how drugs work, especially psychedelics such as psyilocybin and dimethyltriptamine, then please, just stop. You're gonna dig yourself a hole, then I'm gonna embarrass you,

Delight me and drop some knowledge then scholar.

eboyd Date: Sunday, 07/Feb/10, 5:30 AM | Message # 248

Heads
Quote (ALCATRAZ)
If you don't know shit about how drugs work, especially psychedelics such as psyilocybin and dimethyltriptamine, then please, just stop. You're gonna dig yourself a hole, then I'm gonna embarrass you, then you're gonna get emotional. So let's just stop here.

This is why I can't stand arguing with you. Please, kindly shut the fuck up.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

ritesofpasage Date: Sunday, 07/Feb/10, 11:02 AM | Message # 249

DJs
Quote (I_Guy)
Quote (ritesofpasage)
Belief and faith are a part of life. We are primed as children to have belief and faith in our caregivers.

True, but we have the ability to overcome faith by investigating everything.

Quote (ritesofpasage)

The same way I see that the earth is not flat, even though it seems like it is. Or that the moon isn't made of cheese, even though it looks like it is. Science revealed the earth is a sphere. Science reveals that there is no design.

Quote (ritesofpasage)

Losing faith is natural as well. The physiology of our brains has allowed us to expand into rational understanding, leaving faith behind. Faith is the enemy of rational understanding. Faith is the default setting of the human mind. Look how much faith a child has who fears a monsters, or waits for Santa Claus. Adults are simply arrogant forms of children. Adults think they have outgrown their irrational predisposition. They haven't, unless they deny faith.

First point: we have the ability to overcome faith by investigating everything.

Counterpoint: The bible says to investigate everything. And we do not want to overcome our purpose but we should discover it.

Romans 12:2"And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God."

Faith does not mean no questions. It means purpose. You believe in your purpose and function. It does not mean stupidity it is knowledge of self and relationship to god. You renew your mind to not be stagnant and strengthen your faith.

Second point: Science reveals that there is no design.

Counterpoint: What is DNA a design all living things share. What is the law concerning life we all are bound in this plane by our natural cycles of carbon, oxygen, nitrogen. We operate under the same limits of this. What is the design of creation. We are created for a purpose. Diversity makes life thrive division of labor in our ecosystem. Do you not believe we are in an ecosystem.

Third point: Losing faith is natural as well.

Counter point: Losing faith is not natural. That which is lost by living things in the aging process are physical but spiritual things are built in the aging process. Faith is the default setting of the human mind for a purpose. It was set there to build. Everything evolves for it's survival. Faith has evolved to enable survival of courage. Like encouraging. Faith provides support. Without faith we do not explore. Without exploration we do not grow. Faith is not the enemy of understanding. Faith is knowledge of self and wisdom to discern purpose and function which produces a multidimensional understanding. It is not simple. Saying I believe in God is saying I acknowledge my nature, purpose and function. I see the difference between why I was made and other things and I understand my way.

Check out my melody faithfulness is the fidelity of my soundtrack to that of the heavenlies.....
I_Guy Date: Sunday, 07/Feb/10, 1:42 PM | Message # 250

Heads
I have faith in questioning faith.

abanks47 Date: Sunday, 07/Feb/10, 3:32 PM | Message # 251

Emcees
Quote (I_Guy)
Once you realize that a god is unlikely, then life becomes 10 times more beautiful.

I am fully aware that there is a possibility that there is no god, there is no true evidence but religion is faith based and i have faith that something far greater than us made us. just an opinion not a fact
Quote (I_Guy)
So anything someone thinks can be evidence?

i usually type to me after what i wrote. its not concrete evidence for the world its simply evidence for me in which i feel perfectly content.

Quote (eboyd)
I am an agnostic atheist, agnostic meaning that I claim no knowledge, atheist meaning that I do not believe in a God. Therefore, I am open to the possibility that a God may exist (though that possibility is quite minimal in my opinion), but I personally do not believe in a God and actually consider it highly improbable (to a degree of virtual impossibility) and therefore I do not bank on the possibility. This is the same position that well over 90% of atheists take. It is also the position that approximately 80-90% of scientists and the world's leading intellectuals take. I believe in logic, reason and science. Minus the faith I have that my senses are working correctly, my ideology has no place for faith.

coo
Quote (eboyd)
Neither of those are "proof" or even evidence.

like i told i-guy i meant to write to me. and those are proof and evidence to me.

A WELL DRESSED SKELETON SLOWLY CUTS YOUR THROAT.

"I Have No Fear Whatsoever of Anybody or Anything" -Malcolm X

“those who consider themselves the most adamant adherents of “real” hip-hop can also be the least knowledgeable.” –Adilifu Nama; an excert from his perception of Nas’s “Genesis”

Menace Date: Sunday, 07/Feb/10, 3:38 PM | Message # 252

Heads
Quote (ALCATRAZ)
You sound like someone who has never tried hallucinogens, and that's an unfortunate thing.

They are called hallucinogens because they create HALLUCINATIONS . Let's check the dictionary for the word HALLUCINATION. ( PS i tried only LSD so maybe in your books i can speak on this ).

"Hallucinations are false or distorted sensory experiences that appear to be real perceptions. These sensory impressions are generated by the mind rather than by any external stimuli, and may be seen, heard, felt, and even smelled or tasted."

I_Guy Date: Sunday, 07/Feb/10, 9:37 PM | Message # 253

Heads
Quote (abanks47)
I am fully aware that there is a possibility that there is no god, there is no true evidence but religion is faith based and i have faith that something far greater than us made us. just an opinion not a fact

It's cool man. I have no problem with deists. As long as there is a detachment from established religions, it's fine IMO.

eboyd Date: Monday, 08/Feb/10, 2:03 AM | Message # 254

Heads
Quote (ritesofpasage)
First point: we have the ability to overcome faith by investigating everything.

Counterpoint: The bible says to investigate everything. And we do not want to overcome our purpose but we should discover it.

Romans 12:2"And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God."

Faith does not mean no questions. It means purpose. You believe in your purpose and function. It does not mean stupidity it is knowledge of self and relationship to god. You renew your mind to not be stagnant and strengthen your faith.

Second point: Science reveals that there is no design.

Counterpoint: What is DNA a design all living things share. What is the law concerning life we all are bound in this plane by our natural cycles of carbon, oxygen, nitrogen. We operate under the same limits of this. What is the design of creation. We are created for a purpose. Diversity makes life thrive division of labor in our ecosystem. Do you not believe we are in an ecosystem.

Third point: Losing faith is natural as well.

Counter point: Losing faith is not natural. That which is lost by living things in the aging process are physical but spiritual things are built in the aging process. Faith is the default setting of the human mind for a purpose. It was set there to build. Everything evolves for it's survival. Faith has evolved to enable survival of courage. Like encouraging. Faith provides support. Without faith we do not explore. Without exploration we do not grow. Faith is not the enemy of understanding. Faith is knowledge of self and wisdom to discern purpose and function which produces a multidimensional understanding. It is not simple. Saying I believe in God is saying I acknowledge my nature, purpose and function. I see the difference between why I was made and other things and I understand my way.

This thread is about providing evidence of God's existence. You have provided no evidence. You have simply made abstract claims that fit your beliefs. Allow me to sum up the argument I have quoted:

I_Guy: we can overcome faith through investigation.

You: faith and investigation are not mutually exclusive. Faith is purpose.

I_Guy: science reveals that there is no design.

You: DNA, the laws of life, creation and the ecosystem are all designs/designed.

I_Guy: losing faith is also natural.

You: losing faith is not natural. We lose things physically through aging but gain spiritually. There is a reason we have evolved faith. Faith has evolved for the purpose of human courage. We cannot explore or, by extension, grow without faith. Acknowledging belief in God is acknowledging human nature and the nature of one's self. I can discern between my creation and the creation of something or someone else and from that I may understand my purpose.

So now with what you said simplified, others can see that no evidence has been provided. You have asserted many things (of which a large chunk have been proven false by science) and provided no evidence whatsoever to back them up, and you have also presented arguments based on false premises. I will debunk a few of your claims:

"faith and investigation are not mutually exclusive. Faith is purpose."

Faith is, by definition, belief with a complete lack evidenciary justification. Claiming false evidence also fits under this definition because false evidence is not evidence at all. By definition faith and PROPER investigation are mutually exclusive. Your personal faith may let you know of a purpose you feel is pre-ordained, but being as there is no evidenciary support for what you believe, faith itself is not purpose for everyone.

"DNA, the laws of life, creation and the ecosystem are all designs/designed"

This is blatantly false. The most likely current theory of how DNA came about, and this has been tested time after time without any failures, is the theory of abiogenesis, a process by which amino acids form naturally in given environments and form chains. DNA is a complex amino acid chain. Scientists have even gone as far as setting up an environment in which RNA has been observed naturally evolving through such processes. The "laws of life", by which I assume you mean the natural laws that all matter and energy follow, are mere abstractions. Yes, they have been created... by the very scientists that conceptualized them. They do not exist in any physical form. Creation, in the sense that you believe in it, doesn't likely exist, so I'm not even going to speak on that. The ecosystem, much like DNA, has a perfectly natural (as in scientifically reasonable/not supernatural) explanation that has, and will continue to be explained by science, much of which contradicts the very essence of belief in a supernatural deity that created and controls everything.

"losing faith is not natural"

If we break down the meanings of "faith" and "natural" here in order to restate this, here is what we get:

"losing belief in what is not supported by evidence is not akin with science."

Anyone of sufficient intelligence can see the inherent contradiction in this statement.

"We lose things physically through aging but gain spiritually."

Some people do claim to gain a sort of spiritual awareness with age. Some of the people included in this group are even well known ex-atheists, including scientists. However, many people, including myself lose a sense of spirituality with age. This is also the case for many of today's leading atheists. There have been well-known priests and preachers who have become atheist. As a matter of fact, I would contend that religious folks are becoming atheist at a faster rate than atheists are becoming religious.

"Faith has evolved for the purpose of human courage."

On the contrary, as an atheist, it is my lack of faith that has helped me gain courage far more than when I was a faithful Christian. I now understand myself far more than I ever did when I was a Christian, and I am in more tune with reality and logic than I have ever been. I was very self-conscious as a Christian and Christianity, in large part, had to do with my self-consciousness. I am now an atheist and, though I am not trying to make correlation become causation, I am telling you that my self-confidence is much higher now. This has nothing to do with God or spirituality. It has to do with me finding out how to use my logic to become more confident. I am no longer afraid to attribute this confidence to myself like I was when I believed in God. Back then I felt the need to attribute all of my greatest features to God. That, if anything, detracted from my courage and my confidence.

"We cannot explore or, by extension, grow without faith."

This is an abstract statement even after I have summarized it. Could you please explain this? What do you mean by grow? In what way can we not grow without faith? If I understand what you mean, then I will say that I have "grown" as a person since becoming an atheist in many ways.

"I can discern between my creation and the creation of something or someone else and from that I may understand my purpose."

Purpose is subjective. That's the beauty of being free mentally of the concept of a God. There is no pre-ordained purpose. The beauty is that we get to choose what our reason for existing is. We may not have the free will that many people think we have, but there is still no outside force attributing a meaning or purpose to our lives.

Quote (abanks47)
like i told i-guy i meant to write to me. and those are proof and evidence to me.

That's up to you, which is fine with me, but I want to ask you, are you truly ok with accepting that? Consider this for a second. You are accepting that, while the evidence you turn to in order to support what you believe isn't up to standard, and you acknowledge this, you say that your personal standard is, in essence, lower than everyone else's standard. So you are willing to accept this?

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

abanks47 Date: Monday, 08/Feb/10, 11:36 PM | Message # 255

Emcees
Quote (eboyd)
That's up to you, which is fine with me, but I want to ask you, are you truly ok with accepting that? Consider this for a second. You are accepting that, while the evidence you turn to in order to support what you believe isn't up to standard, and you acknowledge this, you say that your personal standard is, in essence, lower than everyone else's standard. So you are willing to accept this?

what life has brought to me and the shit i've seen for me overpowers the need for 100% evidence that there is a god. it is lowering my standards but as i said earlier, the biggest proof for me that religion is helpful and that there is a god is my grandmas life. born in '22 shes lived through some of the most racist shit, has had family steal from her and provoke fights when they were unwanted. shes had a still born and mentally ill child. shes had mounds and mounds of shit in her life yet is to me the definition of a good christian woman, never judging or hurling insults at anyone. just shows love when possible. you ever go to her house everything is literally yours. never going hungry. sorry for ranting but just the overall way she carries herself and moral really inspires me and makes me think about what can do that for someone. her response is having a strong relationship with god. a large part of it also is for the simple fact i was raised this way. I am ok with this the same way you are able to sit in a pew with 100s of other people who feel the same way i am knowing in your mind and heart you dont feel the same way. i am not trying to judge you nor do i feel i am i a position to even attempt to do so but i recall a post in a different thread where you said you go to church. seems shady in some way but i dont know, im sure your reasons are just. apologies if it sounded like an insult and apologies for the above rant. passionate bout granma.
Quote (I_Guy)
It's cool man. I have no problem with deists. As long as there is a detachment from established religions, it's fine IMO.

not really sure what deist is. that me? i feel there should be no association with religion and politics. shit gets pretty ridiculous at times.

A WELL DRESSED SKELETON SLOWLY CUTS YOUR THROAT.

"I Have No Fear Whatsoever of Anybody or Anything" -Malcolm X

“those who consider themselves the most adamant adherents of “real” hip-hop can also be the least knowledgeable.” –Adilifu Nama; an excert from his perception of Nas’s “Genesis”

Forum » Knowledge » Religious/Philosophical Debate » Evidence For God?
Search: