[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
Forum moderator: TheWatcher, Menace, I_Guy, Aristotle  
Forum » Knowledge » Religious/Philosophical Debate » Evidence For God?
Evidence For God?
s0dr2 Date: Saturday, 13/Feb/10, 5:57 AM | Message # 271

OGs
Quote (eboyd)
both of those people were Christian fanatics!

Even if I was an atheist, I would still say that anyone who murders others are not true Christians, you think that would be God's will? Going against His commandments? "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven."

Quote (eboyd)
but rather that there is no correlation between atheism and immorality or religion and morality.

I'm not an anthropologist, so w/e, but I was getting at something else. The reason why I was surprised to hear that dropping the belief in God would make someone see life more beautiful is... 1) If a Christian is in any sort of suffering/torture, he'd lean on God for his problems and also know he has heaven (though you may call this a delusional fantasy), but he's still happy... and 2) Did you watch the video I linked about someone getting away with murder? Doesn't that make you angry? Where's the justice in life? Well, to the Christian, they can lean on Romans 12:19 "Vengeance is mine"

Quote (eboyd)
i guarantee my disbelief in God would last.

So you can guarantee that God doesn't exist (since you guarantee nothing can change your heart)?

Quote (I_Guy)
Because that would be intellectually dishonest and the person would torture themselves due to knowing they abandoned their higher thinking so that they can simply blend in.

If it's to blend in, then I see no point, but if it's because the person is curious or drawn to the religion (even with his doubts), then I don't see any harm.. They don't have to go full out

Quote (I_Guy)
And imagine how noble it is to lead a moral life without the fear of a god staring down your neck.

Sure... but if they're *tempted* to sin and get away with it (let's say steal the last marble rye from a person), what's the motivation for resisting?

Quote (I_Guy)
Btw, it's not surprising that some people accept god as they get old. They grow old, they grow weak-minded, they grow fearful. They're mind fails them.

And it's not surprising many people reject god in their pre/early teens to atheism/agnosticism, the "popular" stance. Apparently they forget about the devil as well, and we all know his objective.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Message edited by s0dr2 - Saturday, 13/Feb/10, 6:29 AM
I_Guy Date: Sunday, 14/Feb/10, 2:44 PM | Message # 272

Heads
Quote (s0dr2)
Sure... but if they're *tempted* to sin and get away with it (let's say steal the last marble rye from a person), what's the motivation for resisting?

Having to face their own reflection in the mirror.

Quote (s0dr2)
And it's not surprising many people reject god in their pre/early teens to atheism/agnosticism, the "popular" stace.

As fresh minds coming into the world, and if not indoctrinated by their parents and if allowed to think for themselves, they see the absurdity of religion on their own from a very clear-headed point of view.

We all know that each of our end is near; the question is do we accept the end of our living existence, or do we accept our existence as dead men...
s0dr2 Date: Tuesday, 16/Feb/10, 6:42 AM | Message # 273

OGs
Quote (I_Guy)
Having to face their own reflection in the mirror.

Okay

Btw, I replied to the person I quoted earlier (he's from Y!A) with the exact same question you asked, but he makes less sense so I'm done with him (here's what he said since it fits this thread):

Quantum physics is quite uniform. Lasers are a classic example. Bose-Einstein condensates demonstrate the consistency more. Even in its unpredictability, it is predicable.

An inconsistent universe which required a deity to continue to operate would prove a deity exists. An omnipotent deity is not constrained to make a universe that doesn't require a deity to run. Why not have Atlas hold up the heavens? Every time we look deeper, we see natural phenomena. Since a deity is unnecessary to explain the universe, why assume one?

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

ilikebacon3000 Date: Saturday, 20/Feb/10, 1:58 AM | Message # 274

Emcees
LOL I totally forgot I even started this thread....

Life's a bitch and I'm just along for the ride.
eboyd Date: Saturday, 20/Feb/10, 4:05 AM | Message # 275

Heads
Quote (s0dr2)
And it's not surprising many people reject god in their pre/early teens to atheism/agnosticism, the "popular" stance. Apparently they forget about the devil as well, and we all know his objective.

lol atheism/agnosticism is hardly the popular stance. usually beliefs that are likely to lead your family and friends to ostracize and shun you, as well as society in general, are not very popular beliefs rofl

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

ilikebacon3000 Date: Saturday, 20/Feb/10, 11:37 PM | Message # 276

Emcees
Quote (eboyd)
lol atheism/agnosticism is hardly the popular stance. usually beliefs that are likely to lead your family and friends to ostracize and shun you, as well as society in general, are not very popular beliefs

Agreed. Over here, ESPECIALLY in the youth, Atheism is hardly popular. Most kids are all about Christianity where I'm from. You can go to anyones facebook or myspace, and the headline will be something like "I love jesus:)" or "Jesus is my everything"
It's probably just cause I'm in the south though. But really, atheism and agnosticism is hardly popular where I'm from.

Life's a bitch and I'm just along for the ride.
eboyd Date: Sunday, 21/Feb/10, 3:36 AM | Message # 277

Heads
Quote (ilikebacon3000)
It's probably just cause I'm in the south though.

since when did the midwest become the south? huh

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

ritesofpasage Date: Sunday, 21/Feb/10, 5:36 PM | Message # 278

DJs
http://www.biblearchaeology.org/post....st.aspx

The great flood occurred. Scientific proof.

Check out my melody faithfulness is the fidelity of my soundtrack to that of the heavenlies.....
eboyd Date: Sunday, 21/Feb/10, 8:12 PM | Message # 279

Heads
http://biologos.org/blog....gical-I

The Great Flood didn't occur. Scientific proof... from a Christian scientist nonetheless.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

eboyd Date: Sunday, 21/Feb/10, 8:15 PM | Message # 280

Heads
also, Discovery Channel did something on this a while back. it showed that the Great Flood was likely a result of stories of polar ice caps melting and flooding the Black Sea (which was a lake at the time) and wiping out all of the people in that region. evidence for this comes from scientists finding beaches under water in the Black Sea and stories that seem to have migrated from surrounding regions that seem to evolve into "Noah's Ark".

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

I_Guy Date: Sunday, 21/Feb/10, 9:02 PM | Message # 281

Heads
Sure, and the Sumerian flood happened too. And the dozens of other exaggerated floods spoken of in ancient texts throughout different centuries.

We all know that each of our end is near; the question is do we accept the end of our living existence, or do we accept our existence as dead men...
Menace Date: Sunday, 21/Feb/10, 9:36 PM | Message # 282

Heads

eboyd Date: Sunday, 21/Feb/10, 10:20 PM | Message # 283

Heads
^^^^ lol i remember seeing that pic. i don't think that's photoshopped either. that's an actual sign that some church posted :D

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

s0dr2 Date: Tuesday, 23/Feb/10, 11:55 AM | Message # 284

OGs
i think atheism is flourishing in the internet (youtube for eg.) ......... while religious people are out prancing in the fields

I_Guy Date: Tuesday, 23/Feb/10, 2:59 PM | Message # 285

Heads
I believe in three-headed unicorns, therefore three-headed unicorns exist.

Forum » Knowledge » Religious/Philosophical Debate » Evidence For God?
Search: