[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
Forum moderator: TheWatcher, Menace, I_Guy, Aristotle  
Forum » Knowledge » Religious/Philosophical Debate » Evidence For God?
Evidence For God?
ilikebacon3000 Date: Thursday, 22/Oct/09, 8:53 PM | Message # 1

Emcees
Want proof that hell exists!?
LOL!

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070210103512AAPbnKM

Life's a bitch and I'm just along for the ride.
eboyd Date: Thursday, 22/Oct/09, 9:24 PM | Message # 2

Heads
that isn't funny, it's just sad. religious fundamentalists are idiots.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

ilikebacon3000 Date: Thursday, 22/Oct/09, 11:29 PM | Message # 3

Emcees
No shit.
Not all of them. I know some pretty die-hard christians at my church, and some of them do have good critical thinking skills. I just think it's the fear of rejection from their church freinds and their fear of hell that keeps them on a chain.
The only thing that ever keeps me questioning religon and god and chrisitanity in particular is: Guilt never lies.
I do feel like I owe it to ask for forgiveness sometimes. I don't know even... Hmm.

Life's a bitch and I'm just along for the ride.
s0dr2 Date: Friday, 23/Oct/09, 10:07 AM | Message # 4

OGs
Quote (ilikebacon3000)
I just think it's the fear of rejection from their church freinds and their fear of hell that keeps them on a chain.

lol, fear of rejection?? If one denied his faith, he wouldn't have to tell anyone. Fear of hell, maybe, because at least they believe in the possibility that what they believe can be right... "To say there is absolutely no God means they would have to have all knowledge of the universe. That would make them omniscient, therefore that would make them god" <<--- lol, funny quote i found on Yahoo Answers

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

eboyd Date: Friday, 23/Oct/09, 10:47 AM | Message # 5

Heads
Lol! What's funny, though, is that it's true :D

But yeah, as someone who was a Christian for 20 years before openly questioning my faith (I didn't understand the concept of faith until then. I actually hadn't fully believed much of any of the Christian teachings since I was about 5) I would say that the only reasons people like myself, who are skeptics that hold on to their doubt and bottle it up and don't tell anyone (and often end up conflicted emotionally because of it) are the following:

-most of their friends believe in God and/or go to the same church. The skeptic may even have a special bond of some sort with their church. They become afraid (rightfully so) of the reactions of their peers, family, and fellow church-goers. I don't blame them. My mom doesn't even buy into the literal bible interpretation and when I let her know that I don't believe she would constantly berate me for it. My best friend, who is a bible literalist, would constantly get into heated debates with me over it as well.

-their logic becomes clouded by their belief and is further clouded by pastors and priests who talk them back into believing.

-they do not know where to seek assistance with logical thinking and so they get biased information from fellow church-goers who don't question their faith either.

the only reason that I was able to break away was because I found an outside group that had credibility in my mind (because of it's close ties with hip hop. Yes, I'm talking about the NGE) and they were skeptics and so it lead me on a path towards finding my own way. This won't happen for anyone without a catalyst of some form.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

s0dr2 Date: Friday, 23/Oct/09, 2:59 PM | Message # 6

OGs
Quote (eboyd)
-they do not know where to seek assistance with logical thinking and so they get biased information from fellow church-goers who don't question their faith either.

you honestly think church-goers dont question their faith at some point in their lives?

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Menace Date: Friday, 23/Oct/09, 3:27 PM | Message # 7

Heads
Quote (sodr2)

you honestly think church-goers dont question their faith at some point in their lives?

people usually are doctrinal and take their ideas from the same source instead of exploring so it's inherent that some religious peoples ideas are biased because they consult only one domain and i agree everyone questions their faith we all know Mother Teresa's crisis of faith that some say that she never recovered even tough she gave the image that she did recover

YANHAP1 Date: Friday, 23/Oct/09, 3:53 PM | Message # 8

DJs
My mum used to take me to church and at school we would sat the Lords Prayer etc etc but as i began to look on Biblical events in a Historical context i began to look at Jesus as more of a social reformer or revolutionary than a God or saviour.
From then i looked at religious bodies in a more political light and understood that there was more than the "guidence of souls" at play.
So other than participate in a cultural practice, i had no question of faith because the faith was not consciously chosen by me and despite of those surroundings i drew my own conclusions.

who killed bambi?

s0dr2 Date: Friday, 23/Oct/09, 4:09 PM | Message # 9

OGs
well when questioning your beliefs, you have to be cautious that the purpose of the devil is to stray you away from the faith, so i wouldnt draw to conclusions too quickly

and what does this have to do with yahoo answers %)

eboyd Date: Friday, 23/Oct/09, 4:48 PM | Message # 10

Heads
Yeah, we got off topic, but we always do so meh. Anyways, that's the problem. Saying it's the devil leading you astray leads to you getting biased info from other church-goers. Whether they doubt or not they still give people biased info.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

s0dr2 Date: Friday, 23/Oct/09, 5:59 PM | Message # 11

OGs
its the bible saying that, not church goers

Menace Date: Friday, 23/Oct/09, 6:03 PM | Message # 12

Heads
yes the church goers rely on ONLY one source that means they are BIASED

s0dr2 Date: Friday, 23/Oct/09, 6:13 PM | Message # 13

OGs
Quote (Menace)
yes the church goers rely on ONLY one source that means they are BIASED

wow

thats like a scientist being bias for studying text books

btw the Bible is NOT one book

Menace Date: Friday, 23/Oct/09, 6:53 PM | Message # 14

Heads
Quote (sodr2)
wow

thats like a scientist being bias for studying text books

btw the Bible is NOT one book

scientists do a thing called comparative study they explore different domains and don't rely solely on one thing they even compare different scientists works and arrive at a rational conclusion themselves your comparison is hilarious you rely on one thing that being the bible and that goes that's the doctrine and that goes it's undeniable and not opened to neither debate nor exploration if it's in the bible it goes it doesn't matter how absurd it sounds if the bible tells it then its true. relying solely on the bible means your BIASED that's the definition of being biased

s0dr2 Date: Friday, 23/Oct/09, 8:41 PM | Message # 15

OGs
Quote (Menace)
scientists do a thing called comparative study they explore different domains and don't rely solely on one thing they even compare different scientists works and arrive at a rational conclusion themselves your comparison is hilarious you rely on one thing that being the bible and that goes that's the doctrine and that goes it's undeniable and not opened to neither debate nor exploration if it's in the bible it goes it doesn't matter how absurd it sounds if the bible tells it then its true. relying solely on the bible means your BIASED that's the definition of being biased

okay...listen

scientists explore different domains, but these domains have to be SCIENTIFIC....they dont explore the Bible when they are trying to figure out the origins of life that is STUPID in the same way Christians dont explore the quran when trying to figure out the word of God, that is STUPID...and again you have a compilation of books composing the Bible, so for eg. the life of Jesus, we have the gospels each with a different way of telling it

define a ``nonbiased Christian`` for me please...unless im misunderstanding you

Added (23/Oct/09, 8:41 Pm)
---------------------------------------------

Quote (Menace)
you rely on one thing that being the bible and that goes that's the doctrine and that goes it's undeniable and not opened to neither debate nor exploration

ever hear of Ecumenical Councils

Message edited by sodr2 - Friday, 23/Oct/09, 8:41 PM
Forum » Knowledge » Religious/Philosophical Debate » Evidence For God?
Search: